Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

s.i.r.e. posted:

There hardly is one though? Godzilla doesn't even care when Mothra dies and doesn't brutally murder Rodan at the end for having fought and beaten her up, instead he just accepts him as a bitch in his harem. Godzilla: Pimp of the Monsters

Can someone explain to me what the different eras of Godzilla are and what they signify?

They sing to one another when Godzilla's recovering, Mothra dies protecting him, and the noises made and visual design of the nuclear pulses Godzilla fires out at the end are based on Mothra's cry and the patterns on her wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dammerung posted:

They sing to one another when Godzilla's recovering, Mothra dies protecting him, and the noises made and visual design of the nuclear pulses Godzilla fires out at the end are based on Mothra's cry and the patterns on her wings.

That's pretty one sided, Mothra's just serving her alpha. I don't recall them singing to each other though, is that when he's under the sea or during the final battle?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

To clarify, Showa is the earlier, campier Godzilla. He does his faceturn to become protector of Earth in Gidorah, The Three Headed Monster. Then there was a period of dormancy for the Godzilla brand, where it returned in the Heisei era, rebooted with Return of Godzilla, which was a direct sequel to the original Gojira, ignoring the other sequels. Godzilla returned to being a villain. The movies in that era all have direct continuity with each other. They eventually conclude with Godzilla dying and giving his energy to Godzilla Jr.

Then the Emmerich Godzilla happened and shamed Toho so badly they made Godzilla 2000, ushering in the Millenium era. This era can get confusing because the one after that is another reboot. They conclude with Final Wars, which pits practically every Toho kaiju against Godzilla. Lots of nods to all eras of Godzilla. Very divisive one. (Includes a hilarious scene of Godzilla killing Zilla, the American Godzilla in less than a minute.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Very divisive one. (Includes a hilarious scene of Godzilla killing Zilla, the American Godzilla in less than a minute.)

The soundtrack Toho used for this is just :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxhdo4HDgg

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

Can someone explain to me what the different eras of Godzilla are and what they signify?

1954 godzilla is it's own thing.

Showa era godzilla is the old mostly black and white monster movies and kinda operate on a power ranger/pro wrestling mindset where a new monster basically shows up every week and there is minimal real continuity. Tokyo gets destroyed like 8 times.

Heisei is them throwing out the whole series back to the 1954 original and then making a serious continuity, with 'serious' being through the lens of 1980s japan so it's still pretty goofy. But generally is a storyline movie to movie.

Millennium is them dropping continuity again and every movie is mostly a reset that acknowledges whatever past movies they want and ignores any they don't like.

Shin godzilla is the newest godzilla movie and is just the guy that made evangelion being asked to make godzilla evangelion and everyone loved it so there will probably be movies that follow it as either direct sequels or just the start of a new round of stand alone movies but not for a few years because american godzilla is making them not release any more japanese one for a while.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Shin godzilla is the newest godzilla movie and is just the guy that made evangelion being asked to make godzilla evangelion and everyone loved it so there will probably be movies that follow it as either direct sequels or just the start of a new round of stand alone movies but not for a few years because american godzilla is making them not release any more japanese one for a while.

Toho announced there won't be a sequel to Shin Godzilla, instead they're going to be launching their own Godzilla cinematic universe.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Detective No. 27 posted:

To clarify, Showa is the earlier, campier Godzilla. He does his faceturn to become protector of Earth in Gidorah, The Three Headed Monster. Then there was a period of dormancy for the Godzilla brand, where it returned in the Heisei era, rebooted with Return of Godzilla, which was a direct sequel to the original Gojira, ignoring the other sequels. Godzilla returned to being a villain. The movies in that era all have direct continuity with each other. They eventually conclude with Godzilla dying and giving his energy to Godzilla Jr.

Then the Emmerich Godzilla happened and shamed Toho so badly they made Godzilla 2000, ushering in the Millenium era. This era can get confusing because the one after that is another reboot. They conclude with Final Wars, which pits practically every Toho kaiju against Godzilla. Lots of nods to all eras of Godzilla. Very divisive one. (Includes a hilarious scene of Godzilla killing Zilla, the American Godzilla in less than a minute.)

Ahh ok, what series do people tend to prefer? Where does the cream rise to the top?

My Godzilla viewings are as follows:

Godzilla
Rodan
Godzilla vs King Kong
Godzilla 98 (sadly enough)
Shin Godzilla
Godzilla '14
King of the Monsters

Thanks to a fellow goon, I'm planning on watching Mothra, Mothra vs. Godzilla and then Ghidorah so I can get filled in on the origins on everyone in KOTM.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Godzilla Raids Again is the only other black and white film, the Showa series is mostly in color.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's no true answer that'll satisfy everyone. All Godzillas are beautiful. The only Toho produced Godzilla I see people universally poo poo on is Space Godzilla.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Excuse me what now

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's pretty one sided, Mothra's just serving her alpha. I don't recall them singing to each other though, is that when he's under the sea or during the final battle?

I'm sure Godzilla will make up for it by protecting the next Mothra as best he can/ But I do agree with you, that it does support the unfortunate reading I had of Godzilla acting in a very self-centered, spiteful, and greedy manner throughout most of the film. And it happened when they thought Godzilla had died from the Oxygen Destroyer, when she comes down, hovers over the water, and starts glowing to show them where to go.

Basically, Mothra is best!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Showa era godzilla is the old mostly black and white monster movies and kinda operate on a power ranger/pro wrestling mindset where a new monster basically shows up every week and there is minimal real continuity. Tokyo gets destroyed like 8 times.

Heisei is them throwing out the whole series back to the 1954 original and then making a serious continuity, with 'serious' being through the lens of 1980s japan so it's still pretty goofy. But generally is a storyline movie to movie.

Millennium is them dropping continuity again and every movie is mostly a reset that acknowledges whatever past movies they want and ignores any they don't like.

I think only 2 of the Showa movies are black and white. Three including Rodan, I might be forgetting one though

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I think only 2 of the Showa movies are black and white. Three including Rodan, I might be forgetting one though

Nah Rodan is glorious technicolor. The original and Raids Again are the only b&w

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nah Rodan is glorious technicolor. The original and Raids Again are the only b&w

Sounds like an excuse to rewatch Rodan, for some reason i remember it in b&w

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also cause I had to check the first time because I never saw an explanation, the showa and heisei "eras" are just the way Japanese traditionally count years according to whoever is emperor at the time, rather than any strict sense of continuity. Apparently, the production team itself goes by whatever model/suit a movie is using during filming, so all the individual godzilla designs (or puppets or CG models) have cutesy nicknames.

If you're just getting into it, John Rolfe did a pretty good rec on starter movies for beginners, but unsurprisingly movies where mothra, ghidrah, and/or godzilla (I assume Rodan is in the recent movie to have a flying baddie and be the fire-type to the movie's water/air/electric elemental kaiju trio, since I dont remember him being very interesting) show up together tend to be alright. There are some other ones, but they vary wildly in tone and are really according to one's own taste.

keet fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 4, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It always slighly irks me when a franchise like this only had two black and white movies before moving on to color. I wish they would have made one more black and white Godzilla and Zatoichi.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DeimosRising posted:

Sounds like an excuse to rewatch Rodan, for some reason i remember it in b&w

I think I remember them being black and white because they were old enough they were on tv at the time I had a hand me down black and white tv in my bedroom. Because as everyone has pointed out none of those are actually in black and white.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's no true answer that'll satisfy everyone. All Godzillas are beautiful. The only Toho produced Godzilla I see people universally poo poo on is Space Godzilla.

poo poo really? I was looking forward to that since I kinda like how Space Godzilla looks. :smith:

Dammerung posted:

I'm sure Godzilla will make up for it by protecting the next Mothra as best he can/ But I do agree with you, that it does support the unfortunate reading I had of Godzilla acting in a very self-centered, spiteful, and greedy manner throughout most of the film. And it happened when they thought Godzilla had died from the Oxygen Destroyer, when she comes down, hovers over the water, and starts glowing to show them where to go.

Basically, Mothra is best!

I didn't like how Godzilla was dickish in that regard in the film, in both films there's scenes where he's laying down exhausted and there's someone close by for him to look at and there's a gentleness to his eyes, but it makes him feel more caring towards humans than to Mothra. I'm not sure why Godzilla would even give a poo poo about people.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Burkion posted:

Excuse me what now

YO where’s this from

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

s.i.r.e. posted:

I didn't like how Godzilla was dickish in that regard in the film, in both films there's scenes where he's laying down exhausted and there's someone close by for him to look at and there's a gentleness to his eyes, but it makes him feel more caring towards humans than to Mothra. I'm not sure why Godzilla would even give a poo poo about people.

It's that he does which makes him special in the 2014 film, at least, in my opinion. He has no reason to care for humans. We're much smaller than him. We're much weaker than him. Most of our time is spent attacking him or trying to prevent him from restoring balance to the world. And yet, in 2014, he seems to very much care for us. His size is inarguable (his first landing creates a devastating tsunami, for example), but he refuses to fight back against the military forces attacking him on the Golden Gate bridge, looks specifically at Ford, and, in the very end, returns home without killing anybody or causing any further damage.

I missed that Godzilla. I couldn't feel the same emotional connection to a Godzilla who threatens, intimidates, and sneers at humans even as they sacrifice themselves to help him. We shouldn't need to be protected by gods or kings who are so petty and small.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Burkion posted:

Excuse me what now

Gigan!?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

and apparently Gamera???

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Burkion posted:

Excuse me what now

I'm gonna need a source because !!!!!

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Varan the Unbelievable is in black and white, but no one really cares about poor old Varan. He appears in Destroy All Monsters briefly but the suit was hosed up for whatever reason so he's shown from a distance behind some trees and again in another shot at the end in what looks like an empty suit, though I might have to double check that.

The eras of Godzilla are a little confusing as they're named after periods in Japan, but don't correspond exactly. So, the Heisei Godzilla era begins in 1984 and ends in 1995, but the historical Heisei period I gather starts in 1989 and ends this year.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 4, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The picture floating around in the spoilers is from the KotM art book, based on an image search

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nah Rodan's in color.

Basically you have two different Showa Eras.

You have the Tsuburaya Showa Era and then you have the 70s Showa Era. Tsuburaya's Showa Era are the movies that the original SFX creator, Tsuburaya, or his personal team worked on. This lends them a very consistent feel even if the movies became wildly different.

They range from the very serious- G'54, VS Mothra, Raids Again, Rodan, Mothra to the serious with airs of camp- Monster Zero, Son of Godzilla, Sea Monster, most of them really, to the more comical toned ones- Kong's films, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster

Not that the latter have an over abundance of comic relief

Not that Ghidorah has that problem. But instead, that the fighting isn't as mean and brutal as it was in the other films. You'd get more goofy poo poo in the fights like Godzilla tossing rocks, Ghidorah blasting Godzilla in the nuts, Mothra shouting at Rodan and Godzilla to stop being assholes for a minute

It's not a farce, but it's a lot more playful. Especially more playful than anything in Godzilla VS Mothra 64

But generally things are, even with the inclusion of weird aliens, kept relatively down to Earth. And falling into one category or the other does not mean that it's inherently better, either. Looking at you Raids Again and Sea Monster.

If you can get over how bad the suits are in Son of Godzilla, for Minya and Godzilla himself, that movie is honestly kind of a gem. It has a LOT of good characterization for Godzilla, and Minya himself is actually pretty great In That Movie. Shame about what happened later. Kumonga is also given a lot of menace and presence in the film despite 'only' being a giant spider and the human plot isn't the worst thing in the world

That era comes to an end with Destroy All Monsters, with Revenge being a weird transition movie that really does not fit as a Godzilla film but I've talked about that before.

Starting with Hedorah, the second half of the Showa Era gets REAL WEIRD with it. These are the ones with the straight kid movie affairs going on, more outlandish aliens than ever before, sillier moments and monsters

MechaGodzilla 74 is probably the best of this era in my opinion as it best marries the goofy with the serious in some amazing poo poo. The villains are ruthless, MechaGodzilla is overwhelmingly powerful, Godzilla gets the poo poo kicked out of him, Angirus gets his jaw snapped, King Seesar gets beat into the ground, and a whole bunch of people get shot

But the aliens are also rubber monkey masked freaks in gaudy silver jumpsuits and then you have how Godzilla saves the day.

it all blends perfectly with it's amazing 70s soundtrack and is just a ton of fun.

Terror of MG on the flip side tries to be super duper serious, but still has all the trappings of the extremely silly movies without the fun. It's good, just isn't as much fun as 74.

Fast forward to 1984, we're still firmly in the Showa Era but never mind that. It's been nine years and it's time for Godzilla to return. So they pull out all the stops and make an ambitious, big budget modern Godzilla movie that genuinely looks on par with most any American movie of the era assuming you don't watch it on bluray.

No joke, no lie- this is not a movie meant to be seen at 1080p. This is a movie that's robbed of some of its power by higher quality, better footage. It makes the Godzilla suit look fake-r, it reveals imperfections that would have been invisible even on the big screen at the time- this is straight up not a movie meant to be seen like this. It's the unfortunate truth of practical effect heavy films of the era, especially ones like this.

They were never intended to be seen like this and so long as you can accept that, you'll have a good time if what you like are moody Godzilla films. This one is basically the exact opposite of Shin Godzilla in most every way. Where Shin zigs, this zags. They're extremely complimentary films and what you prefer is going to hinge largely on what you like. I consider them basically equals

From this point on it's 89 through 95 (with one dip in 90 where nothing happened on the Godzilla front) and we are in the Heisei era proper. Adopting the Return as the new starting point, we get a whole bunch of 90s reinventions of classic Godzilla foes and a LOT of 90s Japan shoved right out there. They're all very consistent with each other in terms of action and tone. Don't expect a lot of throw downs, but get ready for the beammageddons. Everyone gets a beam! Rodan, Mothra, Ghidor-well he gets something else.

New kaiju are few and far between, but excellent when they come. Biollante, Battra, Space Godzilla (the design is great and the kaiju is good but shame about the movie) and DESTROYAH, the crown jewel.

Worth a watch through to see the one really continuity heavy Godzilla series play itself to the finale.

The era following 98 are basically the Godzilla Anthology Times. Across five movies, four are in completely different continuities. GxMG and Tokyo SOS are the only ones that share continuity, the rest are pick and choose

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

uhh i mean godzilla is the girl's dad and mothra is her idealized version of mom right? you dont need to study the godzilla fan wiki to understand this

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dammerung posted:

It's that he does which makes him special in the 2014 film, at least, in my opinion. He has no reason to care for humans. We're much smaller than him. We're much weaker than him. Most of our time is spent attacking him or trying to prevent him from restoring balance to the world. And yet, in 2014, he seems to very much care for us. His size is inarguable (his first landing creates a devastating tsunami, for example), but he refuses to fight back against the military forces attacking him on the Golden Gate bridge, looks specifically at Ford, and, in the very end, returns home without killing anybody or causing any further damage.

I missed that Godzilla. I couldn't feel the same emotional connection to a Godzilla who threatens, intimidates, and sneers at humans even as they sacrifice themselves to help him. We shouldn't need to be protected by gods or kings who are so petty and small.

I agree completely, he was a gentle giant even if he killed things accidently because how careful can Godzilla be at his size? He killed plenty of people with that tsunami. But him being so detached from Mothra felt weird. The only thing on his scale that helps him out and isn't trying to kill him and he seems pretty drat indifferent towards her? I mean, even in Skull Island Kong was the protector of the island and helped out that ox thing and it gave him a nice depth.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Movie gave me a slight headache :( The kaiju bits were fine, but holy poo poo I've never seen so many good actors squandered in a movie quite like this one. They're all so boooring and the human drama sucked. Super disappointed. Movie needed someone like Jeff Goldblum or Muldoon circa Jurassic Park with all them kaiju running around imo. I'm not sure how I was unable to like any of the characters with the cast this movie had. Legit loving baffled.

Score was great though. And the kaiju fights on a 70ft screen with Dolby Atmos sound were a delight. But that's not enough to make me enjoy the movie. I need good charcaters and good drama. I'll even take dumb drama and campy poo poo tbh, because that coupled with bold visuals can still be engaging. Boring drama with boring, poorly developed characters just gets me uninterested and I end up checking out. Hope Godzilla vs Kong is better.

[edit] Tywin and Eleven had like what, 15 lines of dialogue between the two of them? Lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 4, 2019

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

s.i.r.e. posted:

I agree completely, he was a gentle giant even if he killed things accidently because how careful can Godzilla be at his size? He killed plenty of people with that tsunami. But him being so detached from Mothra felt weird. The only thing on his scale that helps him out and isn't trying to kill him and he seems pretty drat indifferent towards her? I mean, even in Skull Island Kong was the protector of the island and helped out that ox thing and it gave him a nice depth.

I completely agree, and I wish it had been different and spelled out a little more clearly. At the very least, Mothra dying should have been enough to instantly push him over the edge, like Rodan's sacrifice in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Now I want an adventures of Ghidrah/Leftie webcomic.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I saw it this morning. I enjoyed it. From a direction stand-point, I think it's half the movie Godzilla '14 was. I have to think on the film more but, overall, the positives outweigh the negatives. It definitely would have benefited from stronger direction and better pacing - for the problems I had with Godzilla '14, Gareth Edwards knows how to direct scenes and frame shots. Michael Dougherty isn't half the filmmaker he is. You aren't allowed for dramatic beats to set before something new kicks off.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Karloff posted:

Varan the Unbelievable is in black and white, but no one really cares about poor old Varan. He appears in Destroy All Monsters briefly but the suit was hosed up for whatever reason so he's shown from a distance behind some trees and again in another shot at the end in what looks like an empty suit, though I might have to double check that.

My favorite b-tier monster who appears in Destroy All Monsters is Gorosaurus. Only other appearance was in King Kong Escapes which is easily my favorite Kong movie after the original.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jimbot posted:

It definitely would have benefited from stronger direction and better pacing - for the problems I had with Godzilla '14, Gareth Edwards knows how to direct scenes and frame shots. Michael Dougherty isn't half the filmmaker he is. You aren't allowed for dramatic beats to set before something new kicks off.

Agree with this 100% — KOTM was just over 2 hours but god drat it felt like it was going on forever, which probably gave me my headache. I was also constantly checking the time on my phone, and I never do that. Godzilla 2014 is easily the superior film, and the best in the series. Kong is more fun, and KOTM has some good kaiju action, but Godzilla 2014 is a better made film than both.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Showa era movies (setting aside the original) tend to have more monster wrestling and less beams, Godzilla is way more likely to be an out-and-out hero, they're often goofier and more family-friendly.

Heisei era movies tend to have a more serious tone (although the sci-fi plots are still frequently weird as hell, they just treat them with more gravitas), beam spam reaches its peak because the suits are stiffer and harder to move in, horror elements find their way back into the series.

I've barely watched any Millenium era Godzilla films but my rough impression is that they're anime as gently caress. Personally I'm looking forward to this, but it might be a negative for some people.

A few movies don't really fit into this paradigm, most obviously American Godzilla movies (1988 which is an awful Godzilla movie but honestly a passable disaster film, and then the recent Legendary ones) and Shin Godzilla (which is standalone and is just really obviously a Hideaki Anno film more than it feels like any particular era of Godzilla.)

also the actual anime movies exist but Gen Urobuchi is a hack

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If only Gareth Edwards didn't come from the Christopher Nolan school of soulless character writing and direction. Technically excellent directors who have no clue how to handle non robot actors, and I feel the good performances in their films come down to actors themselves and not the direction.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Godzilla film by Zack Snyder. Would be awesome. Bonus if they include the Mothra meme because that would be unironically fantastic.

Will get critically panned for that scene and all the destruction.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Heisei era movies tend to have a more serious tone (although the sci-fi plots are still frequently weird as hell, they just treat them with more gravitas), beam spam reaches its peak because the suits are stiffer and harder to move in, horror elements find their way back into the series.

To add to this since I watched all the Heisei-era films a few weeks back in prep for KOTM, they all take place in the same "cinematic universe" which is something I never knew growing up reading about the films. That took me by surprise, and made me enjoy a handful of the films because of their shared continuity. Like, going from Vs Biollanted to Vs Ghidorah was pretty cool. Also, the music is really good, and the main cues from the Heisei-era are heavily integrated into KOTM's score and it's pretty great.

Expanding my thoughts a bit more, KOTM definitely feels like a Heisei-era Godzilla movie, but made with a giant rear end Hollywood blockbuster budget. It's just too bad it was more like one of the bad Heisei films (Vs SpaceGodzilla, Vs Mothra, Vs Mechagodzilla) and not the good ones (Vs Biollante, Vs Destroyah). I would've even taken a bit more goofy-campy KOTM akin to Vs Ghidorah.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

If it's a shelled guy, possibly anguiris? I thought gamera was owned by another company, while anguiris seems a shoe-in For a sequel. He's essentially gozillas outclassed tenacious sidekick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The action in the film is straight showa on a huge budget though. Less reliance on beams, more pile driving from outerspace

EDIT: Completely missed you!

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's from the Godzilla art book!

I have NO loving IDEA WHY HE'S THERE BUT THAT AINT NO ANGIRUS AND SURE ISN'T KAMEBOES!