Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Yeah if you are going to push US around, you might as well push it when Trump is running the show and US is beefing with Iran, China and 80% of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

tino posted:

Yeah if you are going to push US around, you might as well push it when Trump is running the show and US is beefing with Iran, China and 80% of the world.

I know that he probably won't listen to him, but I wouldn't gently caress around while Bolton has his ear

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Bolton couldn't even successfully execute a coup in Venezuela, he is to be laughed at, not feared.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Willo567 posted:

I know that he probably won't listen to him, but I wouldn't gently caress around while Bolton has his ear

Nobody has orange turd's ear for long. Kim just need plant a rumor on twitter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea bolton is caught in the shockingly fitting hell of finally having a president so stupid he just claps and smiles whenever a Real Military Man says anything that he could probably manipulate into starting any war he wants, but to be that stupid he also is stuck with the attention span of a fly and a genuine belief that the worst part of war is having a lot of people yell at him for starting it

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

and now the dead guy is undead. we must invade the dprk to obtain their reanimation technology

'Executed' North Korean diplomat is alive, sources say

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1135601926022713347

So does this mean we could be seeing an ICBM test soon?

I know I'm a hypocrite for linking a Lewis tweet, but I wouldv'e thought that Kim would just out wait Trump

Well the North Koreans themselves have set a deadline for the end of the year to strike a deal with Trump. So if and when that time passes without a deal,my guess is we will be seeing more ICBM tests. Possibly more nuke tests

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

R. Guyovich posted:

and now the dead guy is undead. we must invade the dprk to obtain their reanimation technology

'Executed' North Korean diplomat is alive, sources say

I guess their fall back position is to blame the South Korean source, not themselves (or other Western outlets) for blasting it without pretending to check its validity.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ardennes posted:

I guess their fall back position is to blame the South Korean source, not themselves (or other Western outlets) for blasting it without pretending to check its validity.
I'm sorry sir but are you suggesting journalists should fact check or vet sources? That's ridiculous. Why, they wouldn't have enough time left over to fabricate stories or press the "Generate Clickbait" button!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm sorry sir but are you suggesting journalists should fact check or vet sources? That's ridiculous. Why, they wouldn't have enough time left over to fabricate stories or press the "Generate Clickbait" button!

Yeah, that or especially fact check stories about a country like North Korea which obviously the US really doesn't along with. It is also why it is so difficult to really tell what is happening since it is so easy to be gaslight from every direction (including from non-Western outlets).

Hell, you can watch different youtube videos about NK and get radically different perceptions of what it is going on. North Korea can look like a middle-income industrial state or completely impoverished depending on your choice of source.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 4, 2019

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Does SK has their version of "China Uncensored" that just make up poo poo every 3 months for western consumption?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
At this point I just assume whenever one of these "NK official purged via howitzer" stories comes out that the North Koreans (or maybe just one bored North Korean) planted the story to troll foreign journalists.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, that or especially fact check stories about a country like North Korea which obviously the US really doesn't along with. It is also why it is so difficult to really tell what is happening since it is so easy to be gaslight from every direction
I think gaslighting implies more thought and intentionality than US journalists are really capable of. They're just lazy as gently caress and parroting whatever they read in a press release is what they're gonna do.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think gaslighting implies more thought and intentionality than US journalists are really capable of. They're just lazy as gently caress and parroting whatever they read in a press release is what they're gonna do.

Eh, in the case of North Korea (and now Russia and China) I think it is intentional by at least the editors, the usually journalists themselves just cut and paste from whatever wire-service sends this stuff out.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tino posted:

Does SK has their version of "China Uncensored" that just make up poo poo every 3 months for western consumption?

South Korea is a US client state so there isn't any demand for smear job outfits like that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

At this point I just assume whenever one of these "NK official purged via howitzer" stories comes out that the North Koreans (or maybe just one bored North Korean) planted the story to troll foreign journalists.

nah it's typically SK saber rattlers/infowars types. You see this in waves, it always just happens to come after the west makes any signs of acknowledgement or agreement with North Korea, then we magically get a story with zero sources saying 'ACTUALLY the savage Kim had his closet adviser, uncle, and childhood best friend shot into the ocean strapped to a big rock from a slingshot, proving how insane and just plain evil he is and not to be talked to'.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mainstrem audiences have always believed almpst anything that is posted or discussed about the DPRK.

Remember when KjU first showed off his ANTHRAX LABS and western media blew up?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Mainstrem audiences have always believed almpst anything that is posted or discussed about the DPRK.

Remember when KjU first showed off his ANTHRAX LABS and western media blew up?

Granted, they usually don't have any alternative. Like I said, maybe you might be a random youtube video.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

tino posted:

Is that that nerdy white dude with a falun gong wife who always needs to wedge a little something about how good but oppressed falun gong is?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Is that that nerdy white dude with a falun gong wife who always needs to wedge a little something about how good but oppressed falun gong is?

It is a Falun Gong outlet but maybe you mean someone else, one of the ADvChina guys?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Mozi posted:

They're loving east asian analysts, they're putting their opinions out there because that's their job. And they tend to be correct (or at least grounded in fact).

And your perception that they are chicken littleing is entirely from within your own head - they see a possibility and they're putting themselves on record about it. It's you own lack of ability to perceive this as anything other than wild fearmongering that is the problem.

If the US doesn't actually negotiate with NK, they will at some point continue doing larger missile tests. There's nothing controversial about that.

And if you don't like their opinions, block them and get on with your life. You've got a real weird thing going on.

How can you look at these tweets and tell me it's not chicken littleing

https://twitter.com/NarangVipin/status/1127015505980739584
https://twitter.com/NarangVipin/status/1127391822031085574
https://twitter.com/NarangVipin/status/1128113401228611584

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
imagine being an adult in 2019 and thinking that Russia, Iran, or NK have literally any interest in nuking the US, let alone are pressing dangers we're heading to at some kind of rapid pace. Imagine being that stupid and getting a loving paycheck as an expert on national security and foriegn policy.

The blob is such a good grift, I gotta find a way to get in on it. If you guys see some new Foreign Affairs piece about how we MUST increase our military support of Mongolia to check China's very real and not made up goal of invading Alaska that's me, don't ratio me until I can buy a cool house or something.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Hell, you can watch different youtube videos about NK and get radically different perceptions of what it is going on. North Korea can look like a middle-income industrial state or completely impoverished depending on your choice of source.

The same thing is true about any country on the planet. Even reporting about South Korea, a country about which we allegedly have free access, is marred by the same problem of people jumping to weird racist explanations. It's just that in that case the racist explanations tend toward kpop and plastic surgery and stereotypes of the whole country being rich which are every bit as worthless and innaccurate as their North Korean equivalent of explaining literally everything as wacky totalitarian communism.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

sexpig by night posted:

imagine being an adult in 2019 and thinking that Russia, Iran, or NK have literally any interest in nuking the US, let alone are pressing dangers we're heading to at some kind of rapid pace. Imagine being that stupid and getting a loving paycheck as an expert on national security and foriegn policy.

The blob is such a good grift, I gotta find a way to get in on it. If you guys see some new Foreign Affairs piece about how we MUST increase our military support of Mongolia to check China's very real and not made up goal of invading Alaska that's me, don't ratio me until I can buy a cool house or something.

The "Blob" actually collectively shat on Trump and very few work in his administration.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

tino posted:

The "Blob" actually collectively shat on Trump and very few work in his administration.

that's just completely not true. Sure a lot of them have mainly because he dared say Iraq was dumb and trying to pull out of Syria but the fact that he literally got told no by his generals in a deeply creepy moment should be all the proof you need that the blob is alive and well in the Trump white house

The blob is made up of way more McCains than McRavens, they both handwring that aw gee isn't Trump just so CRASS about our desire to glass half the middle east to increase Boeing stock but the McCains will always fall in line.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

sexpig by night posted:

imagine being an adult in 2019 and thinking that Russia, Iran, or NK have literally any interest in nuking the US, let alone are pressing dangers we're heading to at some kind of rapid pace.

My boomer father has been telling me we're going to get into a big war with china soon, reminding me at least once a year, for the past 20 years.

You can't fix stupid.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

tino posted:

w/r/t china many in the think tank industrial complex are saying things like "i don't like trump but he's got china totally right." they've done this with venezuela as well, criticizing trump but then agreeing with him on his imperialist policy anyway. besides if you work at one of those outlets you're doing the work of the us gov no matter who's in the big chair

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

That was amusingly enough also their position when Trump was yelling on twitter about fire and fury back in 2017. Foreign policy people were angrier when Trump reopened negotiations with North Korea than they were when he was actively threatening war with them. They're still mad at him right now for not being sufficiently angry about whatever random weapons test North Korea happens to be doing at the moment.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Some Guy TT posted:

That was amusingly enough also their position when Trump was yelling on twitter about fire and fury back in 2017. Foreign policy people were angrier when Trump reopened negotiations with North Korea than they were when he was actively threatening war with them. They're still mad at him right now for not being sufficiently angry about whatever random weapons test North Korea happens to be doing at the moment.

What, they were right and still is right about Trump's position on NK.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

It's possible to disagree with war mongering and Trump's approach to negotiation!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Short of abolishing sanctions, the US really doesn't have much of a negotiating position. There's always the danger of a US invasion for any country that doesn't have nuclear weapons.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Has China reopen that new bridge on the Yalu river?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Lambert posted:

Short of abolishing sanctions, the US really doesn't have much of a negotiating position. There's always the danger of a US invasion for any country that doesn't have nuclear weapons.

I wonder what long term effects abolishing all sanctions against North Korea would have. It seems obvious that it would make their economy stronger but what kind of social change would it cause if any?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It would probably make them hate foreigners less which would obviously have disastrous consequences.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Their state capitalism would suddenly become much more lucrative, and...well, you read Animal Farm in school, right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
and like clockwork the 'Kim is strapping his own family to rocket launchers and firing them into the sea...actually scratch that the guy's alive and healthy....but you know the fact it even could be reported as possible says how bad it is there....' cycle comes to an end

https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/1137488725091540993

now we await the fresh one, what will it be? KJU had his grade school girlfriend fed to pigs? He fired a sniper rifle at his uncle's face in front of his family reunion? They built him a one time use Gundam so he could stomp out an adviser's entire apartment building?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

Their state capitalism would suddenly become much more lucrative, and...well, you read Animal Farm in school, right?

And everyone else's isn't?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't understand the question?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Apparently Kim Jong Nam was a CIA informant?

Kim Jong-nam, half-brother of North Korean leader, 'was a CIA informant'
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/11/kim-jong-nam-half-brother-north-korea-leader-was-cia-informant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

sexpig by night posted:

and like clockwork the 'Kim is strapping his own family to rocket launchers and firing them into the sea...actually scratch that the guy's alive and healthy....but you know the fact it even could be reported as possible says how bad it is there....' cycle comes to an end

https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/1137488725091540993

now we await the fresh one, what will it be? KJU had his grade school girlfriend fed to pigs? He fired a sniper rifle at his uncle's face in front of his family reunion? They built him a one time use Gundam so he could stomp out an adviser's entire apartment building?

Reminder that the guy who wrote this article said in October 2017 the Trump administration was ready to go to war, then backtracked what he said