Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Skim Milk posted:

how would a quality keeb prevent me from loving my computer?

heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tk posted:

If you’re going to go in for $160 on a Code, I would recommend looking at a Kira. It is a significantly better keyboard. Right now they have the standard/black case version with their “True” switches for $179.

im the ground effects

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

they look nice tbh

pram
Jun 10, 2001
id buy it if it was a tkl and not some abomination

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I have the Logitech g710+ from 2012 at work with mx browns and it’s excellent. Never get any loudness complaints since it has factory installed rubber rings and imo brown is the best cherry switch for office use.

looks like you can still get them on amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G710-Plus-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B00LMBIGIY/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?keywords=g710%2B&qid=1558556927&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Maybe there’s more modern options but Logitech just got worse over the years

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have a g710+ at home and I like it well enough. They make one (maybe the g810) that's browns, but without the orange plastic and gamer keys. That ones pretty good too.

their newer ones are their own custom switches which are not good or knock off mx blues that are not as good.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

My nearly-seven-year-old das keyboard s met with misfortune. I'd have replaced it with another but the corner computer shop didn't have one. They did have a Corsair k70 rapidfire ("Cherry MX Speed") though, and uh, holy poo poo these keys are sensitive. The actuation force is somewhere between "stern thought" and "exhaled in that general direction"

red only cause the rgb one was another $70 and loving lol to that, as if spending $160 on a keyboard wasn't insane already

curse
May 25, 2019

heck
I bought a corsair K95 RGB, one with red cherry MX keys for my husband and one with brown cherry MX keys for me (me hate loud but I tend to destroy keyboards with my my heavy typing, I figured one with replaceable caps/keys I can remove easily sounded like a good idea and my husband wanted one).
So, my first K95 failed dramatically, lights going out, dimming, key clicks not registering, or making a billion of one letter, and the key caps kept flying off as I was typing. :?
I got a replacement but oh boy the customer service was a nightmare.
I've also discovered I hate my husband because holy poo poo he was not clear enough about how loud red cherry MXs are.

My replacement is OK but I've had to turn the sensitivity way down and I still manage to flick keys of the keyboard occasionally. For a while I was having an issue where it would post a million 'y's every time I typed one.

Would not buy again..but this works for now, I GUESS.

My last keyboard was some kind of old logitech and I loved it...but managed to get hot coals from a hookah on it because I'm a dumb piece of poo poo, and it was discontinued at that time. I used an even older logitech keyboard for a bit before 'upgrading' to this piece of poo poo.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

My replacement is OK but I've had to turn the sensitivity way down and I still manage to flick keys of the keyboard occasionally. For a while I was having an issue where it would post a million 'y's every time I typed one.

I strafe left in spawn rooms because my little finger rests on the A key. Bad news for us claw-grip types, I guess.

curse posted:

I've also discovered I hate my husband because holy poo poo he was not clear enough about how loud red cherry MXs are.

Are you my wife? The brown switches were enough to get her attention from downstairs. Red ones would probably get me banished to the backyard.

curse
May 25, 2019

heck

flakeloaf posted:

I strafe left in spawn rooms because my little finger rests on the A key. Bad news for us claw-grip types, I guess.
I mean, I don't type properly, I am one of those 'only uses a few fingers on each hand and still types rapidly' people. it is not good for keyboard gaming because i dont know what the gently caress i'm doing, and I have long nails.

quote:

Are you my wife? The brown switches were enough to get her attention from downstairs. Red ones would probably get me banished to the backyard.
HAHA
his computer is just set up in the room next to the bedroom and sometimes while he's playing everquest or counterstrike (? I think I don't know what he does and I don't care, himb loud), he wakes me out of a dead sleep and wonders why I'm annoyed....but I guess its my fault for letting him get the CHERRY MX's, should not have bought it for him, many regrets.

we're about to buy a house tho and he will in fact be banished to the downstairs when that happens

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they make little rubber damper things you can stick on each key that reduce the noise made by bottoming out. when Logitech was still doing mx switches they were installing them by default which was super nice. u can buy them off amazon or wherever tho.

like these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U7DJ0TW/

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 28, 2019

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
keybaors

burning swine
May 26, 2004

keyberders

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Schadenboner posted:

Are Bluetooth mechanical keyboards “a thing” (as the kids say these days)?

(I mean, mechanical in whatever way you people use it, not in the sense that all keyboards are inherently mechanical).

Absolutely! I’ve got a 1985 Model F-122 IBM keyboard I’m going to convert to Bluetooth soon as everything comes in :q:

For reference:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i got this. it has blues in it, not cherry however. it’s the only mech calc I could find. it’s good except i wish it didn’t look like a kids toy, and in fact was just like my workhorse casio but mech keys 🤷‍♂️

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echi your computer has a calculator in it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

i got this. it has blues in it, not cherry however. it’s the only mech calc I could find. it’s good except i wish it didn’t look like a kids toy, and in fact was just like my workhorse casio but mech keys 🤷‍♂️

buy an hp12c and mod it for cherry keyswitches :q:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Get one of those sick reverse polish notation calculators.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Salt Fish posted:

the hp12c is the o.g. rpn business/scientific calculator

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Can anyone recommend a mechanical key calculator with bowls?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

is rpn the dvorak of calculators? aka basically the same ONCE you’ve become familiar with it, but makes others who want to borrow just pissed off and think you’re a weirdo?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
honestly given the new popularity of mech keyboards i’m surprised there aren’t more mech calcs, but I guess in general the kinda of people who want mech boards don’t have needs for calcs 🤷‍♂️ a shame because a good calc is a glorious thing to behold

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

honestly given the new popularity of mech keyboards i’m surprised there aren’t more mech calcs, but I guess in general the kinda of people who want mech boards don’t have needs for calcs 🤷‍♂️ a shame because a good calc is a glorious thing to behold

you only need a calculator w i am not replying to this earnestly

anyway, anyone try any low profile reds? i like the corsair k60 normal red i got, but would like the lower travel for ergonomic reasons

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

have you ever needed to use a calculator on the ipad and found out it doesn't ship with one for some reason? i guess that's the only reason i could think of for wanting a mech calculator nearby

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

that's not a mech

https://i.imgur.com/fAkc5o0.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKm9eM2BuM0&t=240s

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

buy an hp12c and mod it for cherry keyswitches :q:

what the gently caress

ban this sick filth

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
true HP calculator feel is sublime and I will hear nothing against it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ps, get something from https://www.swissmicros.com

it’s fuckin awesome

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

have you ever needed to use a calculator on the ipad and found out it doesn't ship with one for some reason? i guess that's the only reason i could think of for wanting a mech calculator nearby

I have to add up poo poo in controlled drug books and calculators are serious business at that time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao I just rewatched that scene, and after he cuts up his top and they run away, he's just says this boys will be boys bullshit. gently caress the 80s was wild

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton posted:

ps, get something from https://www.swissmicros.com

it’s fuckin awesome

this is good

but I could never have a rpn calculator in the dispensary

trying to help the tech learn her level 5 and it just dives right into pharmacokinetics, and trying to help her understand volume of distribution and half lives is not easy lol (especially because she wants me to basically give her all the answers) and gently caress the poo poo I would hear on the daily about how my calculator is a piece of poo poo if it was rpn would drive me up the wall

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Schadenboner posted:

This seems like an absurdly prominent placement of something that belong on the utility surface onto the use surface, though?

If it isn’t going to be used as part of the operation of the device (that is, acting as a HID to control the cursor) then it should be a switch on the underside.

On top is where it belongs, it's pretty handy for me - great way to control my laptop using the same mouse. On the underside makes no sense, how would that feature be of any use there?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

echinopsis posted:

is rpn the dvorak of calculators? aka basically the same ONCE you’ve become familiar with it, but makes others who want to borrow just pissed off and think you’re a weirdo?

look at this guy scared of the stack

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Dvorak is good.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I have the Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L with brown switches and it is a fantastic value.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

peeboard

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

I bathed my keyboard today.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Getting one of those Cherry switch test swatches to figure out which (if any) I prefer.

If nothing else the tiny hu-mon will enjoy playing with it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I really want to dive into the tenkeyless world. But disabling the numpad using autohotkey certainly showed me that I seem to use it a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Lambert posted:

I really want to dive into the tenkeyless world. But disabling the numpad using autohotkey certainly showed me that I seem to use it a whole lot.

are you finding you need it for GAMING or for normal computer usage, and as a followup, is that normal computer usage entering numbers, or just forgetting that there's no [enter] key at the bottom right any more