Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003

Molothecat posted:

Have you considered opening the server up for pubbie hunting or are chinese hackers still a huge presence?

I'm pretty sure it is public, again, though, there's a password set in the config file, but I never get prompted. Has anyone seen the password prompt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Molothecat posted:

Have you considered opening the server up for pubbie hunting or are chinese hackers still a huge presence?

If they're not hacking around the Firewall, you can deal with most of them simply by typing in poo poo like 'Tianaman Square Massacre' and they'll instantly be booted.

Legend says, anyway.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

PowderKeg posted:

I'm pretty sure it is public, again, though, there's a password set in the config file, but I never get prompted. Has anyone seen the password prompt?

It only prompted us the first time

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i get prompted every time

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

how do you guys feel playing on Nevazgane next time around? the random map generator has come a long way, but i find the generated maps way too bland still.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

enraged_camel posted:

how do you guys feel playing on Nevazgane next time around? the random map generator has come a long way, but i find the generated maps way too bland still.

I would definitely prefer it. The random maps are a lot better than 2-3 alphas ago but the jank is still very real. Also it's easier to coordinate with others about where to meet up, etc on a static map.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

People can cheese being on a map that they already know really well in game terms, but its not like it would be impossible for a zombie apocalypse survivor to already know his way around town so I always say fuckit, do Navezgane.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Does the navezgane map have the new buildings?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

People can cheese being on a map that they already know really well in game terms, but its not like it would be impossible for a zombie apocalypse survivor to already know his way around town so I always say fuckit, do Navezgane.

I mean, the only thing having knowledge of the map really affects is early game, where you know the nearest town in relation to your starting position so you can go take shelter in a nice POI for the first few horde nights. And maybe forge locations too, but I certainly haven't played it on A17 enough to know that.

But, I mean, if you are at the point where you know Nevazgane really well, then you can cheese the game in other ways as well, such as by abusing zombie AI so that they can never reach you, so I'd say all in all, it's not a huge concern.

Molothecat posted:

Does the navezgane map have the new buildings?

Yes. It has improved quite a bit since A16, and feels bigger now as well, as they bumped the terrain elevation considerably.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

enraged_camel posted:

I mean, the only thing having knowledge of the map really affects is early game, where you know the nearest town in relation to your starting position so you can go take shelter in a nice POI for the first few horde nights. And maybe forge locations too, but I certainly haven't played it on A17 enough to know that.

But, I mean, if you are at the point where you know Nevazgane really well, then you can cheese the game in other ways as well, such as by abusing zombie AI so that they can never reach you, so I'd say all in all, it's not a huge concern.
Exactly. I was also indirectly poking fun at the time you posted about someone using Wooden Frames to get to the top of the Shotgun Messiah facility :haw:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

in A18 news, the devs said "don't expect an on time release", which is laughable but totally expected at this point

on the bright side, two things im excited about: first, apparently they have "a lot of new weapons". second, they are adding "random stats" on non-crafted items, so loot will always be interesting, rather than becoming boring once you have the highest quality crafted items.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

enraged_camel posted:

in A18 news, the devs said "don't expect an on time release", which is laughable but totally expected at this point

on the bright side, two things im excited about : first, apparently they have "a lot of new weapons". second, they are adding "random stats" on non-crafted items, so loot will always be interesting, rather than becoming boring once you have the highest quality crafted items.

So we're still moving in the Fallout 4 direction. Gotcha.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
If everyone wants Nav next time, that's cool. I do like the large (and weird) maps, though. What's a good timeframe to cycle a map?

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

It's fine how it is for now. There are still plenty of untouched places on the map.

You should, however, unleash the pubbies

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Molothecat posted:

It's fine how it is for now. There are still plenty of untouched places on the map.

You should, however, unleash the pubbies

You should also implement a ping ban, because as racist/xenophobic as it is, when I was running a server it was invaded constantly by folks that could for instance identify all land claim locations instantly owned by a player, teleport there, remove the claims and destroy everything with 99999 damage bullets from an infinite ak-47. When I put in a ping ban (that I could/did selectively override if someone requested in discord) over 125 ping was banned that problem never happened again.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yeah, I'd have to ask for an exception. I live in the middle of iowa so my internet is spotty at best.

Stable enough to run games, but it's not unheard of to hit 300 ping for a second or so.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, the random map is good, and the way quests respawn entire POI's means things stay fresh.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Doing a single player random map game and 7D2D does not want me to ever have a vehicle. I didn't get my first engine until right before I learned how to make Motorcycles and I still have not gotten a single battery from any of the cars I've wrenched down. There is pretty much no cars left within a 1km radius of my base.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Maguoob posted:

Doing a single player random map game and 7D2D does not want me to ever have a vehicle. I didn't get my first engine until right before I learned how to make Motorcycles and I still have not gotten a single battery from any of the cars I've wrenched down. There is pretty much no cars left within a 1km radius of my base.

the loot talent really helps with stuff like that

mine is maxed out and i find all kinds of sweet stuff

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PowderKeg posted:

If everyone wants Nav next time, that's cool. I do like the large (and weird) maps, though. What's a good timeframe to cycle a map?

i think you should wait until A18

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Re: vehicles

Yeah, they seriously need to add vehicle mods to allow people to differentiate them.

They could make it so that different vehicles get different mods to increase variety even more, as well.

Being able to have a passenger on the motorbike would be neat, and someone should be able to ride on the back of the 4x4.

Spudalicious posted:

You should also implement a ping ban, because as racist/xenophobic as it is, when I was running a server it was invaded constantly by folks that could for instance identify all land claim locations instantly owned by a player, teleport there, remove the claims and destroy everything with 99999 damage bullets from an infinite ak-47. When I put in a ping ban (that I could/did selectively override if someone requested in discord) over 125 ping was banned that problem never happened again.

A few years ago on a moderately popular server, after someone had been brazenly flying around, eventually filling our base with land claim blocks, and then straight up deleting big square chunks out of the ground all the way down to the bedrock, I spoke to the guy that ran it and he said the consensus among server admins for dealing with cheaters was to just IP range ban china and that would cut down the cheating by like 99%.

Apparently without the range ban it wasn't unusual for stuff like that to happen multiple times a day instead of once or twice a fortnight.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I havent played this in a while so maybe things have changed. But are there any mods out there that actually turn this game more into a looting thing? For example, something that allows you to find actual guns in containers instead of a bunch of different gun parts?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

blackguy32 posted:

I havent played this in a while so maybe things have changed. But are there any mods out there that actually turn this game more into a looting thing? For example, something that allows you to find actual guns in containers instead of a bunch of different gun parts?
I've only been playing since A17 and I find more whole working guns than I know what to do with.

edit which reminds me - since merchants only buy so many before they give you the finger, is scrapping them from my inventory the best way to try to make use of them? They dont seem to melt in forges.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

blackguy32 posted:

The base game. They ditched gun parts with A17 IIRC. Weapons now have modular slots for upgrades like extended magazines, scopes, or Rad-Away, with elemental damage mods in the creative menu.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I will also say that the way to handle the higher gamestage POI quests is to build your ammo pipeline ASAP. Once you have nitrate/coal access, don't wait for beakers just start making gun powder and shells. I eventually got two beakers as quest rewards from tier 3 quests, but I never found one. Shotgun is best for entering rooms, but if there are like 2-3 cops/irradiated wights/military dudes/spiders you will need to retreat, find a long line and use a marksman rifle to drop them quickly enough. I've gotten a magazine extender for mine that makes it a LOT easier to down the harder zeds. Boom Headshot and perception ranks help a lot more than I thought. I'm sure the other combat perks like run and gun are similarly helpful. Tier 4 quests are HARD.

I had a blast doing the Tier 4 quest with the crazy basement cult place, I died because I didn't bring enough supplies (to the last zombie no less). I really enjoy that you can't leave the POI and have to bring everything you think you'll need for the whole thing, this encourages planning and gives me a reason to get access to all of this stuff like upper tier recipes for food/meds.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Last time I played the main source of beakers was from wrenching the drug labs found in hidden crawl spaces inside buildings. You need a couple points in the perk that improves loot quality from that though and they might have changed things since then.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

We found zero beakers for 4-5 days irl. Then one day we got 3 in random drops in houses.

RNG's a bitch.

My overall review: the game's moving back to a fun-ish direction, but that fun tax can still be pretty high. The xp system is way less grindy (don't have to sit in your hole all night cranking out stone axes so that your tools aren't poo poo). The quests remove some of the onus on the player to make their own fun. The new POI's are an unqualified "good thing" and are the main draw for my lovely, little team. They also make the procedural maps more interesting, which was one of the original things that drove the old 7dtd goongroup away.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

In a game that is now to the equivalent of day 84 we have found a total of two beakers lmao

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
What is the group anyway? I know I used to be a part of it before the fun factor dropped off. I vaguely remember playing with Molothecat way back then, but that or the discord would be nice. (OP is so out of date and I didn't see anything in the pgs forum)

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Someone should make a discord for 7days goons. If nobody has by the time I hope on later today then maybe I will.
Edit: does anyone have any experience with a melee-heavy build? I'm curious if the area attack/dismemberment makes it viable for tier 4 clears.

Spudalicious fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 4, 2019

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

This was back in goon mumble days, my dude (which I somehow got inviting privileges for?). I'll throw up a discord server in a few.

Either PM me here or send me a message on steam and I'll invite you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If people dont want yet another discord server I could talk to the admin of a server that went from being a Payday 2 server to a generalist MP coop game server recently to see if 7d2d could get a chat room and voice channels, which may end up serving several functions for everyone?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Has anyone ever played with the overhaul mods like Darkness Falls or Ravenhearst? And if so, are they good for solo or are they even more balanced around multiplayer than 7D2D normally is?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

POI dungeons are fun, but they have some design elements that are, frankly, dumb. I'm talking about zombies that hide inside cabinets or in ceiling crawlspaces, and swarm you the moment you make the smallest sound. I've learned to recognize the places that have them, but it's pretty immersion-breaking to think to yourself, "hmm, I wonder if the devs decided to put a zombie in there".

There are also some issues with sneak mechanics. The thing that annoys me the most is that dropping from the smallest height (like, half a block) generates a huge spike in sound. This is frustrating enough that I always bring ramp blocks and half-ramp blocks with me on every quest to be able to move around silently. Another issue is that searching containers or breaking down stuff while in sneak mode generates ZERO sound. So you could basically loot the entire place without killing any zombies if you wanted, because even in situations where one is blocking your path, you could clear yourself a brand new path by destroying entire walls/floors without alerting anything.

Anyways, I started following some A18 stuff, and things look promising. They are adding 11-13 new weapons (spears, batons, several new guns), and doing away with steel bullets and replacing them with armor-piercing and hallow points. They also said brass will be easier to come by to accommodate the ammo changes. There will also be a new type of suicide-bomb zombie that spawns only during blood moons that has explosives attached to its body, and you'll be able to shoot a specific spot on its body to make it blow up before it arrives inside your defenses.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Discord is up. PM me here or hit me on steam for an invite.

Steam name's the same as here.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

enraged_camel posted:

POI dungeons are fun, but they have some design elements that are, frankly, dumb. I'm talking about zombies that hide inside cabinets or in ceiling crawlspaces, and swarm you the moment you make the smallest sound. I've learned to recognize the places that have them, but it's pretty immersion-breaking to think to yourself, "hmm, I wonder if the devs decided to put a zombie in there".
I agree with this completely. Its artificial difficulty at its finest.

enraged_camel posted:

There are also some issues with sneak mechanics. The thing that annoys me the most is that dropping from the smallest height (like, half a block) generates a huge spike in sound. This is frustrating enough that I always bring ramp blocks and half-ramp blocks with me on every quest to be able to move around silently. Another issue is that searching containers or breaking down stuff while in sneak mode generates ZERO sound. So you could basically loot the entire place without killing any zombies if you wanted, because even in situations where one is blocking your path, you could clear yourself a brand new path by destroying entire walls/floors without alerting anything.
Same here, the disparity is pretty crazy, though I have noticed that you do make sound opening certain containers and stuff.

enraged_camel posted:

Anyways, I started following some A18 stuff, and things look promising. They are adding 11-13 new weapons (spears, batons, several new guns), and doing away with steel bullets and replacing them with armor-piercing and hallow points. They also said brass will be easier to come by to accommodate the ammo changes. There will also be a new type of suicide-bomb zombie that spawns only during blood moons that has explosives attached to its body, and you'll be able to shoot a specific spot on its body to make it blow up before it arrives inside your defenses.
This all sounds awesome.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Well, someone raided my base. My landclaim is gone, all my valuables are gone, solar array, everything.

I didn't realize we were being dicks to each other, guys. Thanks a lot.

I guess it's back to singleplayer for me.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

enraged_camel posted:

Well, someone raided my base. My landclaim is gone, all my valuables are gone, solar array, everything.

I didn't realize we were being dicks to each other, guys. Thanks a lot.

I guess it's back to singleplayer for me.

If you come back I'll be happy to share what I've got left!

There's never a bad time for revenge stories in the apocalypse.

That said, there are pve (A lot of them) servers. I was thinking about trying out one of the overhauls. Anyone tried any of those?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I dunno, I was under the impression that we had a "gentlemen's agreement" here, and that's why we were talking about opening the server to pubbies (which, if we agreed, I would have moved/hidden my base for).

If I wanted PVP, I would have played on some random public server. Or I would have played Rust, where griefing people's bases is what people do for fun.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

enraged_camel posted:

I dunno, I was under the impression that we had a "gentlemen's agreement" here, and that's why we were talking about opening the server to pubbies.

If I wanted PVP, I would have played on some random public server. Or I would have played Rust, where griefing people's bases is what people do for fun.

I feel you, losing a base sucks! I hope it wasn't some involved build.

The PVP is alright, it's not a highlight of the game, so I can totally see it not being your thing. I find it more amusing with goons, though. I don't know, a scrap with goons is more fun than with pubbies. They're less likely to get too bent out of shape over it.

Anyways, I still recommend playing online, the game loses a lot if you can't cruise around in a moped gang with your voicecom buddies. Just pick a pve or a no raid server, I think most of the ones are basically like that.