Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Koholint posted:

What’s that?

There was a post about it a few pages back.

quackgyver posted:

For what it's worth I worked on Barkley 1 and me and a couple of other Barkley 1 heads are gonna release an adventure RPG in a few months.

We're just about to wrap up the trailer and promo materials so we're not really ready to go live with the marketing just yet, but you can check it out at https://twitter.com/astrojone if you're interested.

It's not the same thing and I don't want to derail the thread, but maybe it'll scratch an itch. I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Are there any Half-Life 3 devs lurking this thread?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

They got the B-Ball madness. Sad, really.

The kind they were never able to cure

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Anonymous Robot posted:

Are there any Half-Life 3 devs lurking this thread?

that which does not exist cannot lurk

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wrex Ruckus posted:

The kind they were never able to cure
They may have B-Ball Madness, but that's no excuse for B-Ball Rudeness.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The only terminal cases of Linsanity are here, in this thread.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm really bummed you guys had to deal with all this maddening bullshit and that we'll never get to play it, but grateful for the radical candor because it is a hell of a story and it's making this thread real good right now.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gelatinous. Cube.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm learning so much about game development :allears:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I will say this: I offered to work on the game for free and Bhroom did not take me up on it, which was pretty good of him.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Did Bhroom even have like coding experience? Or did he just have corporate formation/structure knowledge? Was he even a Gamer. It sounds like a tech finance guy formed and structured the Corp (without telling the team) w/r/t who had the power and the rights. I don’t understand how the actual creators of B1 would originally assent to this guy being the one with legal rights and control, so I assume he did it without their knowledge?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The Gelatinous Cube

In late 2017 I had just gotten over the whole Save Station Menu fiasco and was ready to help out again. This was when GZ and Laz were the only real forces left, help was sorely needed. Zaubers where the final big thing that was missing from combat. My hope was they could tie the package together.

The original Zauber designs from ~2013 needed a rework, so we set about on it. Old zaubers were rethought and new ones were added in good and tight collaboration. We cut zaubers from 25 to 15 which was great. I got to work and implemented about half of them.

The Gelatinous Cube was the BIO Level 2 Zauber. It would summon a wobbling cube of green jello, which you could enter to become ‘safe’. It sounded cool so I thought let’s keep it, and asked for more details. You were fixed in place but could take actions while inside the cube, the way I understood it you could cast zaubers and shoot. I asked how does entering/exiting work, and what does ‘safe’ mean? “So, just let the player push into the cube for a short while to enter it and the same to leave it.” “Ok sounds good.” “So ‘safe’ means ‘safe’, you are invulnerable to physical and zauber damage.” “Ah ok so it’s a shield that protects you from X hit points of damage from any source.” “No no it’s safe, it’s a safe haven.”

“I’m not sure I understand you correctly here. You’re saying that the Gelatinous Cube is a thing you can cast anywhere, any time that makes you invulnerable to everything in the game with no limitations.” Bhroom responded in the affirmative. I fell off my chair, literally.

After trying to raise the obvious game-breaking issues with this, to deaf ears, I suggested alterations to the spell. No go. I suggested alternative approaches like replacing it with two spells that protected from physical and zauber respectively. Those spells were fine to add but in addition to the Gelatinous Cube.

I had learned to tell when bhroom was attached to a design and would not budge come hell or high water, and this was it. If this made it into the game the risk is it would never, ever be changed. I said I would reflect on it for a day. That evening I decided that this was my hill to die on. With five mostly unpaid years spent on this godforsaken combat, there was just no way I would ever allow myself to be a part of puncturing it with this raging lunatic nail of an idea.

There were discussions in public and private channels. There was Skype meetings, there was screaming. I asked if me working on this game was a two way street or a one way street. It was a “two way street but-”. I pointed out that if i’m working for free then I would expect some level of creative influence. In response I was told that I was expected to just implement it the way it was originally designed.

I worked on other spells for a week considering my options. Then one evening in winter 2017 I opened the game to work, paused for a moment... and just said “No”, closed the game, and have never touched it since.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 4, 2019

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Truecon420 posted:

Did Bhroom even have like coding experience? Or did he just have corporate formation/structure knowledge? Was he even a Gamer. It sounds like a tech finance guy formed and structured the Corp (without telling the team) w/r/t who had the power and the rights. I don’t understand how the actual creators of B1 would originally assent to this guy being the one with legal rights and control, so I assume he did it without their knowledge?
oh my god... he was corporate.

RocketSurgery
Feb 11, 2009
is that... where the idea of Pozzo Jello Crusade was born

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
But could you move or do anything while inside the cube?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
corporate gelatinous cubicals

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Invincible Jello would make a pretty good internet screen name

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can think of one game off the top of my head that has a "total immunity on command" thing in Binding of Isaac with the Gnawed Leaf, but getting that item plus any sort of orbital/familiar is literally gamebreaking, so...

Dias fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 4, 2019

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Here is my take on the general management situation.

When the project launched, nobody was quite taking the helm on a game design standpoint, but Liam (bhroom, the producer) was working as the project manager as he had experience in that, having worked in TV I think. He did the business stuff and managed peoples' time, organized meetings etc. I remember he was staying away from design decisions and mostly deferred to bort and chef, from what I could tell.

Instead of a game design lead, we had this abstract "original idea" of the game with Bort and Chef being its ambassadors, but no skilled game design leadership to deal with how to make that idea work and make decisions when it inevitably doesnt work (because game design plans always need changing as you experiment with them unless you are enormously skilled and experienced with em)

Over time, with nobody else taking that role, Liam sort of slowly became the defacto design lead, but probably had the least game design experience out of all of us, which ended up being a big mistake. I think he shoulders much of the blame but we all share part of it, he should not have been in the position where he had to take that role he was not well suited for.

Once GZ came along much later, he wanted to take control of the project, and I think this would probably be the best way forward because GZ is a very skilled developer, and he pretty much made Barkley1. But him and bhroom could not agree on terms for it. (not going to go into the details here because I dont fully understand them, it doesnt involve me directly and its a contentious issue between them)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
star fox adventures had a shield like that

it completely trivialized the entire game

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Truecon420 posted:

They probably didn't even think about it and just said 'lets make game'. Someone went and started an actual company because you need an actual company and it never mattered until it did, at which point there's no real recourse. Happens all the time with small businesses like this.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

ace combat spin off set in the gun's nations

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Blattdorf posted:

But could you move or do anything while inside the cube?
Yeah, can you shoot stuff from inside the cube? (If so then lol)

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, can you shoot stuff from inside the cube? (If so then lol)
You were fixed in place. You could take actions while inside the cube, the way I understood it you could cast zaubers and shoot.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 4, 2019

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Good to see the jello boss from zeliard had a cameo

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 4, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Over time, with nobody else taking that role, Liam sort of slowly became the defacto design lead, but probably had the least game design experience out of all of us, which ended up being a big mistake. I think he shoulders much of the blame but we all share part of it, he should not have been in the position where he had to take that role he was not well suited for.

Ah yes. "I'm not an artist, a coder, or a musician, so I must be good at game design!" A common fallacy.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Truecon420 posted:

He's the brother of Bort, one of the original B1 creators. The original team probably asked him to set the legal side of things up because they were a commercial team now making a real game and he had formed corporations before and was a fan of the game.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bisse posted:

You were fixed in place. You could take actions while inside the cube, the way I understood it you could cast zaubers and shoot.

lmao what

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Seshoho Cian posted:

ace combat spin off set in the gun's nations

Strategic Orbital Linear Gun's

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
so [the entire TOG team] basically cast gelatinous cube and stayed safe from criticism for a few years while holding up all meaningful progress of the game
turns out it really was game breaking tech

Mr_Moose fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 5, 2019

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Bisse posted:

i think you could use these words on an actual child or old person or dog and they would recoil in pain

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Bisse posted:

I'm having this gnawing suspicion that they were thinking of a deployable Absolutely Safe Capsule without that single drawback of being completely unopenable.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That could be another incredibly convoluted, resource wasting joke: it does what it says on the tin...then you're stuck there forever and it's a soft lock.

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
I mean it must have at least been temporary and have limited uses or something?
Its the first time I hear about the cube. I remember a few of the zaubers though.
Some of them had really neat visual effects using shaders. I think GZ had programmed most of those?

My favorite was the ultimate Zauber, because it was called HELL gently caress
dont even remember what it did, cover the screen with fire probably

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

honestly even if the game had been released it would've been a letdown since it couldn't have the proper theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWKQiZVBtu4

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008
I cast “invoke my rights under Kickstarter's Terms of Use” at the darkness.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

FrankieSmileShow posted:

I mean it must have at least been temporary and have limited uses or something?
Its the first time I hear about the cube. I remember a few of the zaubers though.
Some of them had really neat visual effects using shaders. I think GZ had programmed most of those?
I might remember the details incorrectly, but I do vividly remember the realization of how game breaking the thing would be. It had a certain life time but which was fairly long. I want to say it was something like 10 to 30 seconds depending on your stats. You could cast another cube before the current one times out and hop into that, repeating ad infinum. You would have a second of downtime in between each cube but that was it as far as downsides go. It did not have limited uses, since Barkley 2 zauber designs at that point did not use mana but rather a system where your stats decreased with each cast. This meant casting loads of zaubers had the tradeoff of making you weaker... however, gun damage was not affected by your stats, only your move speed was affected based on weight encumberance, which of course didn't matter if you were fixed in place and invulnerable. So there were some supposed downsides to it which in practice were not really relevant.

It was never implemented by me at least, and most discussions were private. I did ask for feedback in the public channel but didn't push the issue hard there because I didn't feel more conflict was what the team needed. It could be that the zauber was changed or removed after I left.

GZ did awesome progress on zaubers from what I hear but that was after I left. There was an effects demo made around 2014 by GZ which looked pretty cool.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 4, 2019

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

holy poo poo, maybe Balthios survived the events of Barkley 1 ending by summoning the gelatinous cube.

That's what he meant when he said "I'll show you zaubers"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvRaGPrLBlI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bisse posted:

It did not have limited uses, since Barkley 2 zauber designs at that point did not use mana but rather a system where your stats decreased with each cast.

what