Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
There's one boss in Descent 2 that I only ever beat by dying next to it. I'll say more when we get to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Huh, I do recognize parts of this level. I must have played further than I thought.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

COMMENTARY (With Leylite and Loxbourne) - NO COMMENTARY - 24:01

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel like the reactor in that stage would have been a perfect place for the fusion cannon. You have a limited window of opportunity to attack the reactor, but you control when the door opens and closes. Charge the fusion cannon to full charge, then release when it opens. Which was probably what the designers were going for.

Then again, the amount of time I've spent actually playing this series can be most accurately measured in minutes, so :shrug:.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The large rooms here are a really nice change of pace, but the turn radius on those homing missiles is bullshit. There were like, maybe two shield powerups in the entire map? If the game can inflict guaranteed damage on the player, there should be a reasonable amount of mitigation available. I guess the extra lives count, but then they stop being "extra" lives if they are effectively required to beat the level. It's like sierra adventure game logic where if you didn't do something in the early game (kill enough enemies and rescue enough hostages to bank lives), you enter a dead-man-walking state five levels down the road.
It's kind of telling that the devs in that retrospective video turned on god mode after like 2 levels... I know I'm being pretty negative about the game, it's not that I hate it but rather that it seems to have a lot of wasted potential.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Doesn't dropping a mine stop homing missiles?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Crazy Achmed posted:

The large rooms here are a really nice change of pace, but the turn radius on those homing missiles is bullshit. There were like, maybe two shield powerups in the entire map? If the game can inflict guaranteed damage on the player, there should be a reasonable amount of mitigation available. I guess the extra lives count, but then they stop being "extra" lives if they are effectively required to beat the level. It's like sierra adventure game logic where if you didn't do something in the early game (kill enough enemies and rescue enough hostages to bank lives), you enter a dead-man-walking state five levels down the road.
It's kind of telling that the devs in that retrospective video turned on god mode after like 2 levels... I know I'm being pretty negative about the game, it's not that I hate it but rather that it seems to have a lot of wasted potential.

As noted in the video itself, the homing missiles weren't quite that bullshit back in the day but relied on per-frame turning rates. Otherwise welcome to the 90s, they gave no fucks.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
So, is it only in the sequel that you get the permanent rear view camera that can replace one of your weapon screens on your HUD?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Polaron posted:

Doesn't dropping a mine stop homing missiles?

Maybe. I'm usually not in a position to be able to check.

Montegoraon posted:

So, is it only in the sequel that you get the permanent rear view camera that can replace one of your weapon screens on your HUD?

Yes.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Crazy Achmed posted:

Part of it is Berryjon playing on Hotshot. Personally the second difficulty (Rookie)? is the default. Hotshot is playing on Hard Mode.

Powerups give varying amounts of shield/energy based on the difficulty (18/15/12/9/6), and even on Hotshot the AI shoots more accurately/more often/just barrels around corners looking for a fight.

Also young me abused quicksaves a lot because it was the 90s :shrug:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 7, 2019

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Leylite and Loxbourne) - NO COMMENTARY - 10:55

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Listening to the playback, I come across as incredibly sarcastic at all times.

That wasn't intentional!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I still love that leaving out a slightly different door on Mars somehow leads to a completely different destination in the asteroid belt

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Something else I vaguely remember, though this may also be D2 only. I think if you fly into the exit door backwards the game visibly turns you around to face the right way in the first part of the escape sequence? It may be in this one too. You'll notice that when you hit the exit, the game shifts you to the center of the tunnel.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Montegoraon posted:

Something else I vaguely remember, though this may also be D2 only. I think if you fly into the exit door backwards the game visibly turns you around to face the right way in the first part of the escape sequence? It may be in this one too. You'll notice that when you hit the exit, the game shifts you to the center of the tunnel.

It can't be a D2 thing, because D2 replaces the escape sequences with an FMV. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the game reoriented you for the flight out though.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

This game does do that. I'm just usually diving right in, rather than flying backwards to clear my six of enemies.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Leylite and Loxbourne) - NO COMMENTARY - 20:02

edit: for whatever reason, YouTube it taking its sweet time processing the commentated video. It's up, it's just not up-up yet.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 20, 2019

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'm afraid it's showing as "video unavailable".

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

This link should take you to a working upload, I think. At any rate, it works for me :shrug:

e: here's the version free of commentary, if that's your jam instead

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 20, 2019

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Thanks, I made a capitalization error in the transcription, so it's my fault on that. Fixed, thanks!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Cool level design in that it was pretty unorthodox - lots of weird angles and reminders that there's no "up" or "down" really. But yes, far too pokey, especially with the lava everywhere...

I think my new game for these videos is "count the shield powerups". 9 in that level, I think? 10 if you count the 1 that dropped from an enemy. My god this game is stingy, off the top of my head Doom was much, much more liberal with medkits.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Some of that is the difficulty level (berryjon is playing on Hard), but even then Descent is pretty stingy with the health.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

My choice of difficulty level was the result of a balance factor between my ability to fly, my ability to not die (much) and how fun it would be to watch. This was a good balance, and I'm proud of it.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

You should let the thread vote on one level you need to finish on insane skill level :v:

The AI difficulty spread in the game is pretty wide which is nice because it offers something for everyone. Here's an example of level one on insane difficulty and you can see that the bots are enormously more aggressive. Shield and energy drops also yield minimal boosts and all weapons hit harder (yours and the bots). On the other end of the spectrum trainee difficulty grants generous shield and energy power ups and puts all the bots on tranquilizers by comparison.

The above video also displays an odd quirk I had forgotten about : If you smack your ship into a wall hard enough it'll burn a shield point. I'm not sure if it can actually kill you though. Ramming stuff does cause a decent amount of mutual damage when a bot or another player ship is involved.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
You know we'd all just vote for the last level, though. And you can't change the difficulty mid-game. This is a classical game, with lives and game overs. Start from a level after 1, and you still have the same initial equipment.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Lazyfire) - NO COMMENTARY - 17:50

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Lazyfire) - NO COMMENTARY - 24:50
[/list]

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

This level's narrow corridors and a billion energy recharge rooms is the game's subtle way of saying HAVE YOU TRIED THE FUSION CANNON YET :byodame:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Montegoraon posted:

You know we'd all just vote for the last level, though. And you can't change the difficulty mid-game. This is a classical game, with lives and game overs. Start from a level after 1, and you still have the same initial equipment.

I'd vote for level 7 fresh start :colbert:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I think I said this earlier, but the engine allows any non-re-spawned bot to drop anything, including other bots of any type. Speaking of re-spawner grinding, there was a level where I discovered that green melee bots had a high chance to drop shields, so I used to farm them when I found their re-spawner cubes.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Fabulousity posted:

The AI difficulty spread in the game is pretty wide which is nice because it offers something for everyone. Here's an example of level one on insane difficulty and you can see that the bots are enormously more aggressive.
Wow, this is crazy. Something was bugging me about the early-game enemies before but this video shows it off - is it just me or does it seem like the basic weakest enemies are more dangerous than the laser drones/hulks because their projectiles are bigger and harder to avoid in tight spaces?

Also the enemies seem to scream at you more in this difficulty :3:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

mastersord posted:

I think I said this earlier, but the engine allows any non-re-spawned bot to drop anything, including other bots of any type. Speaking of re-spawner grinding, there was a level where I discovered that green melee bots had a high chance to drop shields, so I used to farm them when I found their re-spawner cubes.

I'm reaching way back into distant memory so I'm not 100% sure this is accurate but in level editors you could configure enemy bots to drop anything on death from powerups to even more bots and provide weights to control how likely those drops are. You can configure what robots a spawner will generate but I don't think you could configure the drop tables for the bots that came from it.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wow, this is crazy. Something was bugging me about the early-game enemies before but this video shows it off - is it just me or does it seem like the basic weakest enemies are more dangerous than the laser drones/hulks because their projectiles are bigger and harder to avoid in tight spaces?

Also the enemies seem to scream at you more in this difficulty :3:

Class 2 platform bots with concussion missiles are probably the deadliest on insane when it comes to tight corridors and corners. Class 1 drillers still rule large open rooms though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fabulousity posted:

Class 2 platform bots with concussion missiles are probably the deadliest on insane when it comes to tight corridors and corners. Class 1 drillers still rule large open rooms though.
Spiders get pretty loving brutal on Insane too because you're basically guaranteed to lose health in some way if there's no cover between you and it.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Fabulousity posted:

I'm reaching way back into distant memory so I'm not 100% sure this is accurate but in level editors you could configure enemy bots to drop anything on death from powerups to even more bots and provide weights to control how likely those drops are. You can configure what robots a spawner will generate but I don't think you could configure the drop tables for the bots that came from it.
That is correct, but I remember observing some bots have a default preset drop for certain power-ups. In berryjon's last vid, the spawned concussion hulks were occasionally dropping concussion missiles.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Speedball) - NO COMMENTARY - 19:41

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I love killing enemies with lava explosions. Though I always really liked using the vulcan cannon for that.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

idhrendur posted:

I love killing enemies with lava explosions. Though I always really liked using the vulcan cannon for that.

That makes me wonder if lava explosions have variable damage. If not, then the vulcan would definitely be the best choice for that purpose. Spreadfire would be pretty strong too, at least if you were firing at a downwards angle.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Lava explosions are on a per-impact basis, so yes, the Spreadfire and the Vulcan would be the best options.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Level 15: Titan Mine - COMMENTARY (With Speedball) - NO COMMENTARY - 15:28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Personally, I'd rather blow myself up with a missile or a fusion overcharge near the spawn point and collect all my stuff immediately. No chance of running into anything nasty while barely armed, and you can switch away from the fusion cannon too.