Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

One of the big problems with X-Men: Origins: Wolverine: The Beginning: Chapter One is that it's telling the story that a previous film (X-Men 2) kind of explored in enough depth. In that film, Logan learns that what he was doesn't really matter, it's what he is now and what he can be that does. But it's a lesson the executives at Twentieth Century didn't learn, and so we got the inevitable origin story.

But if they felt they had to make it, they hosed it up by not even utilising the material in X-Men 2 in an interesting way. What that film showed of his origin made it seem really compelling and interesting and none of that is followed up on. In X2 Stryker says that the old Wolverine was a real monster, except Origins reveals that, well, no he wasn't, he was roughly the same in personality and morality. The flashbacks in X2 to the Weapon X experiment portrays this nightmarish mess of metal, guys in gas masks with syringes, a screaming Wolverine overwhelmed with terror and covered in blood screaming at the claws coming out of his hands, but in Origins, all that is swapped out with this lame super-duper Wolverine sequence where he looks awesome coming out of tank and does all the standard Wolverine poo poo like growling at people and deflecting bullets. I mean, compare the two scenes:

X2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkXtmEWB8dw

Wolverine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvLeNgzmjcE

I reckon it would have been better if they had truly followed up on the whole Stryker "you were a monster" thing. They could have made Wolverine the villain of the film, and in the finale the heroes could finally stop him with an Admantium bullet. Like the Terminator with claws. It would have been risky, but probably more interesting. You could even have one of those heroic characters return in a later sequel and have them try to deal with the new kinder Wolverine, when they remember him as a monster that killed all their friends.

However, the reason why the film, as bad as it is, didn't slow down Jackman's Wolverine is that Jackman is by far the best thing in it. He's great, and he makes otherwise inert scenes work just through the force of his charisma.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gavok posted:

Replace "X-Men Origins" with "NES Dick Tracy" and I understand what site is going through.

Mine was Hudson Hawk. I loved it as a kid but I don't think I will watch it again just in case everyone else is right. Keep the good memories.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I forgot Will.i.am is in Origins. The gently caress was he doing there? I wonder who had the idea to cast him, lmao. The best thing about the movie was the workprint leak imo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

I forgot Will.i.am is in Origins. The gently caress was he doing there? I wonder who had the idea to cast him, lmao. The best thing about the movie was the workprint leak imo.

There's a part of the gym scene where he is standing totally still and says "I'm coming with you!" and teleports but when they jump cut him he's in full stride keeping pace with Logan and it's pissed me off forever.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

teagone posted:

Funnily enough, the guy he played was an actual Weapon X guy in the comics, so it would make some sense for the character to be there, but the casting was bizarre. I mean, they did nail it with Schreiber and Reynolds.

I think Schrieber's a pretty big comics fan, I'm glad he got a good role in an actually good superhero movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I hate to be contrarian, but I never thought XO:W was bad enough to earn the reputation it has. Like The Wolverine, it’s more forgettable than anything else. I wouldn’t even call it the worst X-Men film at the time of its release.

The worst thing XO:W ever did was tank any hope of a Nazi-hunting solo Magneto film.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Let's also not forget Dominic Monaghan as generic electricity guy (even though he was originally cast as Beak). Actually I did forget, I honestly don't remember a thing about him in that movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hate to be contrarian, but I never thought XO:W was bad enough to earn the reputation it has. Like The Wolverine, it’s more forgettable than anything else. I wouldn’t even call it the worst X-Men film at the time of its release.

The worst thing XO:W ever did was tank any hope of a Nazi-hunting solo Magneto film.

It's bad but got blown up more because of Deadpool fans, who deserved it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

teagone posted:

He was murdering his own kind Logan

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
All the Wolverine movies have been disappointing to me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

gently caress, I totally forgot there was another Wolverine movie that wasn't Logan or Origins.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man, next bad movie night I hold, I'm gonna watch it. Anyone got a good drinking game for it?

(Fun fact: I've never actually seen X2 or TLS so gently caress, I have nothing to really compare it to I guess)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Big Mean Jerk posted:

With the depths that the X-Men have gone to, Origins is definitely not the worst, but even at the time it just felt...unnecessary. The special effects were especially baffling in context too; you just had 3 movies with claws that looked just fine, how do you even mess that up?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, next bad movie night I hold, I'm gonna watch it. Anyone got a good drinking game for it?

(Fun fact: I've never actually seen X2 or TLS so gently caress, I have nothing to really compare it to I guess)

Take a shot every time there's a blatant contradiction with the rest of the movies. You should be dead of alcohol poisoning within 10 minutes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Take a shot every time there's a blatant contradiction with the rest of the movies. You should be dead of alcohol poisoning within 10 minutes.

You're going to have to be more specific on what X movie you're talking about here, they ALL contradict each other in some way. Except maybe X1 and X2. Maybe.

So in essence they are all perfect representations of The X-Men.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Origins has the most contradictions with both past movies and future ones than any other entry in the series.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

X-O posted:

You're going to have to be more specific on what X movie you're talking about here, they ALL contradict each other in some way. Except maybe X1 and X2. Maybe.

So in essence they are all perfect representations of The X-Men.

Philosophically, can X1 contradict things that didn't exist at the time?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Beachcomber posted:

Philosophically, can X1 contradict things that didn't exist at the time?

It's an X-Men movie, what do you think?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bunnyofdoom posted:

Have a shot any time you think a studio exec insisted a stupid thing had to be inserted into the movie.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

X-O posted:

It's an X-Men movie, what do you think?

I don't really want to go back and check if it contradicts itself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Origins Magneto ended up becoming a major part of First Class which gave us Nazi Hunter Magneto and the coin scene so I am okay with all of these things.

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010
Speaking of Weapon X, I've always liked the little detail in X1 where Wolverine remembers the scientists passing around champagne flutes in the midst of performing grotesque medical experiments on him.

I know the X-Men films are always gonna be overshadowed by the MCU, and it seems likely that Dark Phoenix will bury them further, but I do feel like almost all of them contain some moments or character beats that are as good as you always wanted them to be.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

teagone posted:

gently caress, I totally forgot there was another Wolverine movie that wasn't Logan or Origins.

I tried to watch The Wolverine at least twice and fell asleep at some point both times.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Well yeah, I suppose if you don't like the X-Men, don't care about Deadpool, bad CGI doesn't bother you, and you aren't concerned with how the film relates to any of the movies it's supposed to be a prequel to...yeah, you might like Origins.

I can't judge. I had to be told people universally panned Doom. I really really like The Rock :shobon:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

X-Men v Wolverine: Origin of X is one thing but If someone comes in here wondering why everyone hated Fan4stic then there's gonna be some real troubles people.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve still never bothered watching F4ntastic, despite being a giant F4 fan.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well that's why you shouldn't.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SonicRulez posted:

bad CGI doesn't bother you

dont get me wrong bad cgi can still ruin stuff for me. like, pretending to ignore the entire rest of the movie for the moment, the cgi for enchantress in the suicide squad climax. it's just that a 45sec scene with goofy looking claws isnt at that level for me

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gavok posted:

I really think someone should write a book about the history of the X-Men film franchise. There's something fascinating about how they've made 13 movies and everything is weird and all over the place with quality and behind-the-scenes goings on, especially compared to how clockwork the whole MCU comes across. After creating building blocks for the superhero boom out the gate with a solid initial movie and its bigger sequel, we got:

- A rushed mess that was partially made out of spite.

- A disastrous attempt at a spinoff "Origins" series that died immediately. Including a leaked cut of the movie ending up on the internet where they tried to save face by saying that the effects would look better in the final cut even though that wasn't the reason people were railing on it.

- A prequel series that badly fits as a prequel, partly because apparently nobody ages over the course of 30 years. Known for lucking out on signing three actors who would become bigger deals after the fact, including an A-lister. Added extra emphasis on her character in the new series. Way more than when they had an A-list actress in their initial series who did pretty much nothing for three movies.

- Doing nearly everything in their power to prevent their biggest hit from happening. A hit so big that it's the only thing that's going to survive the Disney buy-out.

- Chickening out on an R-rated Wolverine until Deadpool makes them realize, oh wait, we can do an R-rated Wolverine after all.

- A post-credits sequence involving Mr. Sinister that will never pay off.

- Their last core entry being a retread of a movie everyone calls "the bad one." Then again, Deadpool was scorched earth at one point too, so let's go back to that well!

- Every single thing involved with New Mutants.

- The Gambit movie they kept insisting was on its way.

- Inspiring the biggest black eye on the MCU's resume.

- The PR disaster of Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.

Quick, somebody pay me to write this book!

lol I just looked up what the sinister after credits was and it was a dude picking up a suitcase that said essex or some such poo poo.

The xmen movies are such loving trash

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve still never bothered watching F4ntastic, despite being a giant F4 fan.

It's an interesting academic exercise but it's really bad. One imagines whatever the director was originally going for would also have been terrible. Although you don't exactly hear people yelling "Release the Trank Cut!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

X-Men v Wolverine: Origin of X is one thing but If someone comes in here wondering why everyone hated Fan4stic then there's gonna be some real troubles people.

Which terrible Fantastic Four movie is that one? Is it the terrible mid 2000's Fantastic Four movie or the terrible "the director is a complete jerk" Fantastic Four movie?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fant4stic is the latter

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I did like how Wolverine: Origins gave Blob his name.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Shageletic posted:

lol I just looked up what the sinister after credits was and it was a dude picking up a suitcase that said essex or some such poo poo.

The xmen movies are such loving trash

Was Mr Sinister supposed to be in New Mutants or did they just give up in their next planned movie and do the Phoenix thing instead because they mistakenly think that is what people want to see?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Gaunab posted:

All the Wolverine movies have been disappointing to me.

Hugh is way too tall but also way too rigid and proper, it’s like they fused his spine with a steel rod or something.

He would have been a good cyclops

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Take a shot any time Logan goes "AAAAHHH."

Or Alternativly if you have watched a bunch of Canon studios film: try to predict what a character is going to say next, take a shot if you're right.

Also another thing I remember. Man Gambit got quote a showing. Somebody really wanted him to have his own spin off.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 4, 2019

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
We have our new Batman. Official announcement from the actor himself.

https://twitter.com/RealWilfordB/status/1135975579319250944

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^"Oh, Gawd Dahm Ett"^^^

Holy poo poo I had no idea there have been 13 X-Men movies. That doesn't seem right.

*searches*

Welp. Yeah. If we're counting the 2 that aren't out yet. drat.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 4, 2019

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea there have been 13 X-Men movies. That doesn't seem right.

*searches*

Welp. Yeah. If we're counting the 2 that aren't out yet. drat.

I had the exact same reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

In some ways they're the most successful super-hero series. Idly trucking along without the hard-reboot button being pressed, endlessly adapting to the environment, and only finally being executed via one company being consumed by another. The first X-Men film came out in 2000, and Dark Phoenix is still working off character interpretations and continuity which that film established. Spider-Man and Batman have both been hard rebooted twice in that time.