Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Xenocides posted:

The real criminals were the idiot Federation and Cardassian diplomats who couldn’t put all their colonists on the right side of the border. Space is three dimensional. It should not be that hard. These idiots clearly wanted another war.

DS9 does touch on that aspect. That a good amount of both sides are still looking to bleed the other no matter the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

The great Cardassian/Federation flamewars to see who can get the other pissed off enough to invade first will sadly never be remembered

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Trast posted:

DS9 does touch on that aspect. That a good amount of both sides are still looking to bleed the other no matter the consequences.

Continuing the war would have been preferable to a pathetic peace with a DMZ filled with insurgencies on both sides. Plus the Klingons are Federation allies and could have invaded Cardassia with a cassus belli instead of the Federation trying to stop them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the closest bajor things had to a power structure after the occupation were terror cells and their godawful religious order. opaka wasn't down with setting up a theocracy, so that left the folks whose skill sets started with sabotage and ended with suicide bombing. the provisional government wasn't that bad, given the circumstances.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the closest bajor things had to a power structure after the occupation were terror cells and their godawful religious order. opaka wasn't down with setting up a theocracy, so that left the folks whose skill sets started with sabotage and ended with suicide bombing. the provisional government wasn't that bad, given the circumstances.

Oh God, I remembered when Kai Winn became the acting head of Bajor and IMMEDIATELY almost caused a civil war.

On the other hand it was also one of the few times everyone on Bajor combined their powers to shut her down instead of agreeing with her

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Xenocides posted:

Space is three dimensional.

I don't think Star Trek used this fact more than 2 or 3 times in its its 50 year history.

But then 3 dimensional space fighting can be a bit confusing if you add big fleets - see Eve Online clusterfuck mega battles:

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

SavageGentleman posted:

I don't think Star Trek used this fact more than 2 or 3 times in its its 50 year history.

But then 3 dimensional space fighting can be a bit confusing if you add big fleets - see Eve Online clusterfuck mega battles:

That's really kind of cool, actually. I just wish the ships had some different colors, or are these all the same faction?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SavageGentleman posted:

Yeah if you google "star trek map" you're gotta get a lot of stuff that's pretty 2D looking lol.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah if you google "star trek map" you're gotta get a lot of stuff that's pretty 2D looking lol.

And that is understandable. In space sims I always reorient my ship so that up is the same for everyone. Humans have a hard time thinking in three dimensions. The problem is that this is a border and you can take your time and annoy the “pretty borders” factions and make it look insane as long as you put the Cardassians on one side and the Federation citizens on the other. Then there is no need for terrorists whining about their tomaters.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Quicksilver6 posted:

The great Cardassian/Federation flamewars to see who can get the other pissed off enough to invade first will sadly never be remembered

Birth of the federation was a game with issues but i liked it

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Quicksilver6 posted:

That's really kind of cool, actually. I just wish the ships had some different colors, or are these all the same faction?

It's a battle between 2 big power blocks (goons are involved) which both have dozens of alliances in them - and everybody is flying ships from the big 4 NPC empires. So without IFF markings it's a giant clusterfuck.

As you can see with IFF markings enabled, it's still a massive clusterfuck:

(every point is a player-driven ship)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

SavageGentleman posted:

It's a battle between 2 big power blocks (goons are involved) which both have dozens of alliances in them - and everybody is flying ships from the big 4 NPC empires. So without IFF markings it's a giant clusterfuck.

As you can see with IFF markings enabled, it's still a massive clusterfuck:

(every point is a player-driven ship)

this is the coolest thing that i want absolutely no part of

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Oh god, the two iff colors are red and blood orange?

I hope that's not by default and friendly fire isn't on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

this is the coolest thing that i want absolutely no part of

EVE Online is one of those things that’s just the absolute loving worst to try and play, but funny as hell to read about. I just forget it exists until the yearly “Goonswarm destroys $75,000 worth of enemy spaceships using betrayal/trolling” article comes out on gaming sites.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Xenocides posted:

The real criminals were the idiot Federation and Cardassian diplomats who couldn’t put all their colonists on the right side of the border. Space is three dimensional. It should not be that hard. These idiots clearly wanted another war.

I remember the Greatest Gen guys joking about how awful the Federation is at diplomacy in the episode where Dax is on trial. Someone apparently negotiated a treaty that lets one side go in and forcefully abduct active serving Star Fleet officers and then sentence them to death if they are found guilty of a crime.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Eve Online is one of those games where if you're good at it you should immediately quit playing and examine the choices in your life that lead to not making six figures as an industrial engineer using the same spreadsheets.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bucswabe posted:

I remember the Greatest Gen guys joking about how awful the Federation is at diplomacy in the episode where Dax is on trial. Someone apparently negotiated a treaty that lets one side go in and forcefully abduct active serving Star Fleet officers and then sentence them to death if they are found guilty of a crime.

Obviously the Federation lost a war or something there. It is the only explanation.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

shame on an IGA posted:

Eve Online is one of those games where if you're good at it you should immediately quit playing and examine the choices in your life that lead to not making six figures as an industrial engineer using the same spreadsheets.

pitiful dollars are as nothing compared to internet cred

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
love of god let us get this thing done not really paticularly enjoying this anymore they already paid off all the compelling storylines and now it is just some human bullshit & also garibaldi is a prick now babylon 5 recap

IN SPACE ivanova informs us that a whole lotta of earth ships are coming over to the side of right
cole is on the bridge. they are mercking some fucks but it weighs heavy on them that they are loving up their own mans
garibaldi has accosted and arrested sheriden's father. the mars big shot is pleased
biblical reference
YEAR OF PAIN YEAR OF JOY [DAWN OF] A NEW AGE
more space pews pews who gives a poo poo. sheridan wonders why his defeated enemies are fighting to the death rather than surrendder
ah, it is due to scumfuck fash propaganda. one of the allied defectors contradicts this disinfo and convinces them to stand down
oh poo poo the agemmon pops out of a space hole. recall that it is sherrry baby's old ship
dr. steve is on mars and also leeta. they are up to something
they meet number 1. they have a pissy meet and greet
dr. steve has shipped the frozen shadow fucj=ked telepaths to mars for... reasons
sheridan checks out his old ship. they recap recent events
cole patches in. brain weird garibaldi has a message for him and tries to set up sheridan
sheridan suspect he is being hosed bu his dad is at stake so what can he do
ivanova tries to talk sheridan out of going. he is not having it
sheridan puts ivanova in charge in his abscence. delenn is away and i have noticed that they cannot afford to have all the main cast in every episode
frugal
IN THE REBEL BASE leeta and dr. steve are eating. leeta is feeling unwelcome
number 1 is pissed
there areBLOODHOUND UNITS, telepathic deep scan groups
leeta bitches about muggles and says psy-core went off-book to hunt a psychic murderer. they brain hosed the perp into his own perpetual private hell :gonk: recall that the core are absolute fuckers
leeta fears what she sees as an inevitable war bbetween the normies and psychics
oh delenn is in this week. ivanova puts her in charge of b5 and also lenier is here
sheridan waltzes into a bar on mars. a song with a pretty cool groove is playing
garibaldi is there. he drugs sheridan, who is understandably pissed
quite enjoying this terrible song. sheridan is overcome but goes down swinging
his is all very 90s but then it was the 90s. garibaldi watches on, impassive
ivanova arrives to take lead of the fleet. sheridan's capture is mainstream news
sheridan is having the poo poo kicked out of him
delenn has a psycich flash which is entirely pointless
garibaldi demands the whole truth from big shot martian. he has developed a disease that he can use to control the telepaths
it is totally deadly but they only intend to enslave them and will supply them with shots that will counteract the effect as long as the telepaths remain subservient
this is all very hosed. garibaldi looks a little troibled and then pulls out a tooth which contains some kind of electronic device
garibaldi ex (who was not in on this scheme) tries to talk gariballdi into stopping this evil scheme
oh poo poo i had forgot that bester had brainfucked garibaldi. well now bester knows it is all going to kick off
chekov demindfucks garibaldi and gives him the low down on all that his gone on. garibaldi was captured by the shadow bastards but bester intervened
so the psychics then did a subtle mindfuck on garibaldi so that he would not be detected on a brain scan
then they tortured the poo poo out of hm so he would not remember and he then played exactly into ther hands
checkov sets garibaldi free as he does not see himself as an evil man. he does not think anybody will believe garibaldi's crazy story
ivanova inddeed has indeed recieved word from garibaldi and indeed believes him to be a gently caress man who needs killing
garibalsi goes back to the mars bigshot's house. he is dead and his letenat is dying
garibaldi's ex is AWOLspace fox does a propaghanda. sheridan is still in custody

garibaldi's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. but he did not get mind helled at least so it could be worse

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
you'll be happy to stick with, not only because of Sleeping in Light

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Maquis were right on paper, but everything they did sucked so loving hard and they were all dumb as poo poo so much that I'm glad they were crushed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

The Maquis were right on paper, but everything they did sucked so loving hard and they were all dumb as poo poo so much that I'm glad they were crushed.

this except they were also wrong on paper

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

remind me, what position did they take re: paper

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the maquis wanted to keep their planets which they hadn't actually colonized for long. this would entail being subject to cardassian rule and giving up all protection from the federation. picard told them what a terrible loving idea that was over and over while they insisted everything would be cool. then the exact things he warned them about happened. so naturally, they blamed everyone else and began attacking both cardassia and the federation.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
You would think the Federation would have citizens that moved past the concept of ownership of land and even more so entire loving planets.

naem
May 29, 2011

the maquis are basically space antivaxxers

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

dudeness posted:

You would think the Federation would have citizens that moved past the concept of ownership of land and even more so entire loving planets.

Even in space, sovereign citizens are a plague.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

the maquis wanted to keep their planets which they hadn't actually colonized for long. this would entail being subject to cardassian rule and giving up all protection from the federation. picard told them what a terrible loving idea that was over and over while they insisted everything would be cool. then the exact things he warned them about happened. so naturally, they blamed everyone else and began attacking both cardassia and the federation.

because they wanted to suffer for tomatoes, but only suffer EXACTLY the way that they wanted (not very much) and in only the cool and romantic ways that their predecessors had

they're the 22 year olds who whine about wanting to live on a Farm and raise herbs for tarot readings

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

you guys ever look at Garett Wang's twitter and sort of hope that a voyager movie materializes out of the void? the last movie he was in was a one star direct to dvd right-wing libertarian parable. he tweets constantly about Harry Kim. i'm sure this has been covered before in this thread but drat that guy deserves a break.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Frog Act posted:

you guys ever look at Garett Wang's twitter and sort of hope that a voyager movie materializes out of the void? the last movie he was in was a one star direct to dvd right-wing libertarian parable. he tweets constantly about Harry Kim. i'm sure this has been covered before in this thread but drat that guy deserves a break.

He was voted into the People Magazine's Top 50 Most Beautiful People in the World for 1997. What more could one ask for?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Frog Act posted:

you guys ever look at Garett Wang's twitter

going to stop you right there

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

dudeness posted:

there will always be aberrants in society and allowing them to form their own societies in which they can meaninglessly die for their own ideals is possibly the most humane solution.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Show Business is brutal.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Lamebot posted:

He was voted into the People Magazine's Top 50 Most Beautiful People in the World for 1997. What more could one ask for?

I was voted into the top 50 in 2002 it’s really no big deal.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Bucswabe posted:

Somehow they can also claim that Dax is in Bajoran sovereignty and thus subject to their laws even though she belongs to the Federation military and is just there on assignment. I found that episode unsatisfying. They had an interesting question on ruling whether Dax is the same person and ducked out with a confession. It would be like "Measure of a Man" ending with them finding out that Doctor Soong owned Data and not Starfleet and without his permission they could not experiment on him.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
But don't you dare touch the flowers on stupid idiot planet

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Then because Star Trek cannot have nice consistent things Picard betrays his loyalties and mutinies and says "Screw Starfleet" over forcibly relocating non-Federation citizens in Insurrection.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Xenocides posted:

Somehow they can also claim that Dax is in Bajoran sovereignty and thus subject to their laws even though she belongs to the Federation military and is just there on assignment. I found that episode unsatisfying. They had an interesting question on ruling whether Dax is the same person and ducked out with a confession. It would be like "Measure of a Man" ending with them finding out that Doctor Soong owned Data and not Starfleet and without his permission they could not experiment on him.

Actually that’s an awesome argument.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Pick posted:

But don't you dare touch the flowers on stupid idiot planet

Is that the free love colony in TNG where God gets mad at you over the flowers or the free love colony in TOS where the flowers make even Spock happy and makes you want to stay forever unless you are emotionally disturbed like Kirk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

lol but posted:

(B5 recap awesomeness)

I've missed these lately, never stop :allears: