Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I don’t blame any of the women for re-signing last year.

The women’s wrestling scene pre AEW was pretty loving dire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
AEW certainly makes the indy women's scene less dire, but actually I'd say TNA has a better women's scene at the moment. Obviously AEW is the hotter product with more potential but TNA has been doing a good job featuring the women over the past year. The intergender stuff could be offputting(I'm more put off by seeing the Disco Inferno in 2019) but they're featuring women in a lot more of the show than either WWE or AEW has done.

It's a shame Impact is Impact because they've been putting out a good product for quite a while but there's no steam, and they can't seem to get any either.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
On the other hand Impact contracts are reportedly terrible while AEW are offering good money and that’s more important sadly when it comes to trying to create a compelling women’s scene in the west.

Don’t think that you can judge AEW until they’ve been on TV for a wee while either - Double or Nothing was a good start and if the plans for them to make Joshi wrestling one of their key differentiating factors is true then that’s very exciting both from the perspective of their presentation of women but also the potential matches you can get.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

AEW certainly makes the indy women's scene less dire, but actually I'd say TNA has a better women's scene at the moment. Obviously AEW is the hotter product with more potential but TNA has been doing a good job featuring the women over the past year. The intergender stuff could be offputting(I'm more put off by seeing the Disco Inferno in 2019) but they're featuring women in a lot more of the show than either WWE or AEW has done.

It's a shame Impact is Impact because they've been putting out a good product for quite a while but there's no steam, and they can't seem to get any either.

they're paying their women like 500-700 a spot.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

TNA's women's scene has good talent that wrestle for a crowd of nearly nobody and earn nearly nothing. Those latter two things negate the former in a big way.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah impact doesn't have a women's division. It doesn't have an anything division

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

2018 was the year where Ronda Rousey was supposedly going to make women’s wrestling the hottest commodity ever so it’s easy to see why you’d re-sign

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TNA could be putting out the best material in the world but they've still got that TNA stink on them. The brand was irrevocably damaged even before it got bought by Nazi twins

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

STONE COLD 64 posted:

they're paying their women like 500-700 a spot.

700+merch isn't a terrible haul for a weekend, esp when you don't have to cover your own trans.

Payouts will get better when women start to draw better.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I hope this Alvarez lawsuit angle leads to Bryan cutting a promo about the GOLD BOAT

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
2018 had the Evolution PPV which while was to make up for the blood money event was also a complete success and probably the best main roster ppv of last year. That theyre not doing it again...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah Evolution ruled and I'd be really happy to see another one.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm finally listening to Cornette review AEW and I'm not up to the actual review yet but 3 things:

1) Cornette complaining that people complained about commercials on the podcast, followed by the other guy saying "if they wanna sue you, we know a guy who's a lawyer" was a great Norm MacDonald Live style bit that deserves a golfclap.

2) Heyman's promo on Arezzi's show was great

3) Cornette saying Heyman looking like he's been floating in a river was a good roast.

So hey at least the show is starting okay! :shobon:

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

A lot of people act like Cornette is a booking genius but I saw a youtube clip the other day of him fantasy booking the Invasion and three of the top four matches for Wrestlemania 2002 were Austin vs Foley (?), Undertaker vs Funk (???) and Hogan vs Dusty (?!?!?).

Also he put Angle and Benoit in a 60 min Iron Man match 7th from the top.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Taker vs Funk would have been good imo

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Raffles posted:

A lot of people act like Cornette is a booking genius but I saw a youtube clip the other day of him fantasy booking the Invasion and three of the top four matches for Wrestlemania 2002 were Austin vs Foley (?), Undertaker vs Funk (???) and Hogan vs Dusty (?!?!?).

Also he put Angle and Benoit in a 60 min Iron Man match 7th from the top.

Those Guest Booker DVDs are all dumb though because wrestling booking is like 30% ideas and 70% execution and things are constantly tweaked and rearranged on the fly even if you have a long term overall plan. More often than not booking ideas will sound lousy on paper.

jesus WEP posted:

Taker vs Funk would have been good imo

Also this.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

If anyone tries to defend Jim for fantasy booking Dusty Rhodes into the 4th match from the top at the fake biggest wrestling show ever we are gonna fight IRL

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/dustinrhodes/status/1135689311368744960

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Raffles posted:

If anyone tries to defend Jim for fantasy booking Dusty Rhodes into the 4th match from the top at the fake biggest wrestling show ever we are gonna fight IRL

I'm not gonna defend him, I'm just saying the Guest Booker DVDs all stink. Every last one of them. Sean Oliver is carny scum.

In all seriousness though Cornette was a good booker. He was on WWF creative in 1996-97 when the product really started to turn around and he had a big hand in that, and his Smoky Mountain Wrestling, though dated, was also well booked.

I know his ROH stint was maligned but even that was fair, in my opinion. (though it was made worse because we were all spoiled by ROH's killer 2005-06 run.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kayfabe Commentaries was one of the first places to put out wrestler commentaries for special matches, to my knowledge. I bought the one for Harley vs. Flair.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sean Oliver is a saint compared to Rob Feinstein. And Sean Oliver is indeed carny scum.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

coconono posted:

Sean Oliver is a saint compared to Rob Feinstein. And Sean Oliver is indeed carny scum.

Oh no question Sean is far far better. You can be carny scum and an ok guy. Sean by all accounts is an ok guy, just carny scum.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

coconono posted:

lol is that the guy who does "The Dick Bag" and "The Ho Bag"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thought about asking a youtube/podcast group if they would stop supporting revelry involving wwe since the ksa is specifically against them as human beings and wants to kill them. however they make at least a portion of their income off the activity and it's not as though they are happy about wwe in general. i too support awful things by makeing money. life is so confusing... what if i just didn't have any drat feelings at all...

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

DLC Inc posted:

lol is that the guy who does "The Dick Bag" and "The Ho Bag"

yes.

and Feinstein is still a billion times worse.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Raffles posted:

It’s hilarious because Jim Corn state hears “WCW vs WWF in 2002” and thinks “70s NWA vs 80s WWF” rather than the literal period of open warfare, because he was always out of touch to a degree.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The worst part about that Fantasy booking was not the actual card because I can accept that most of that was what Cornette wants and his fantasy as opposed to what the fans might want. Yeah, it's goofy having Hogan vs Dusty in 2001 4th from the top but as I recall Cornette is Dusty's manager and basically says that the match is there because he wanted to manage Dusty.

The worst part was how he booked some of the feuds. Like Benoit and Regal having a legit shoot fight.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He hates Vince Russo.

His fantasy invasion angle was 100% worked shoot garbage.

Cornette, as always, is good when he's making GBS threads on something you hate, and garbage when he isn't.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the only way to correctly book the invasion is to break the bank and sign goldberg/sting/flair/nash and plug them into the top spots against top wwf stars and have them go over early in the feud to lend credibility and set up dream matches. doing it this way allows the feud to run for longer than 6 months.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bryan kayfabing about his lawsuit when he brags about the views for this match is :discourse:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

“She was sitting out there looking like Bully Ray when he used to put women through a table.”

“She looks nothing like Bully Ray. Actually she’s the farthest thing I can think of from Bully Ray.”

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

sportsgenius86 posted:

“She was sitting out there looking like Bully Ray when he used to put women through a table.”

“She looks nothing like Bully Ray. Actually she’s the farthest thing I can think of from Bully Ray.”

"Who is she...who IS she..."
:geno: "She's Alexa Bliss."

Dave makes me laugh harder than most comedy podcasts I listen to and it's almost entirely due to having no idea if it's intentional

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The argument he had with Bryan over whether or not the Orton-HHH segment was generic was infuriating.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This trip was great in general but it reached another level due to Hulkamatt not having a clue who any of the big names booked for this show were.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1136087497254014976

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

MassRafTer posted:

This trip was great in general but it reached another level due to Hulkamatt not having a clue who any of the big names booked for this show were.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1136087497254014976

i honestly thought you were joking when you said it was alphabetical

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Vinny posted his Nitro results on Twitter already.

The main event is a match that In pretty sure made it I to The Death if WCW for how i ty truly ahitty and wrestlecrap it is.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
And at the very least for those poor suckers who watch WWE and dont support your actual local indies, this is a bar that even 2019 Vince McMahon is going to her over effortkessly

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The retro show is up and an hour is on just Nitro.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Lid posted:

The retro show is up and an hour is on just Nitro.

Nitro starts at 22:00. The podcast is 1:15:53.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I miss being a subscriber.