Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

khy posted:

I cannot for the life of me come up with a good name for my latest character.

A cyborg from the future, sent back to the past as an experiment. He's only supposed to be there an hour but due to erronious math is now stuck there for a century. He's found a way to get home sooner, by draining the excess energy of the temporal shift and use it to enhance his cybernetic defenses. So the more he fights, the sooner he can return home.

And I'm happy with everything EXCEPT THE drat NAME I cannot come up with anything good.

The Tourminator, because he was here for a brief tour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

khy posted:

A cyborg from the future, sent back to the past as an experiment. He's only supposed to be there an hour but due to erronious math is now stuck there for a century. He's found a way to get home sooner, by draining the excess energy of the temporal shift and use it to enhance his cybernetic defenses. So the more he fights, the sooner he can return home.

And I'm happy with everything EXCEPT THE drat NAME I cannot come up with anything good.

Clocksucker.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

This is extremely helpful, thank you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

S.D. posted:

The launch era CoH missions could have used a little more work.

That mission just makes me laugh now but I have to wonder how many support tickets it generated.

That also looks like a very easy layout for it.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

khy posted:

The Centennial Man
or drop the 'the'
or drop the 'man'

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

khy posted:

I love that he going to punch himself into next week.

Punchclock?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I just learned the P2W vendor sells a thing that removes the fog of war from maps including door mission maps, which is nice.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Glagha posted:

I love that he going to punch himself into next week.

Punchclock?

Clockpuncher!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
OMG the AE stuff is so satisfying but so limited in such a frustrating way.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Everslain posted:

Don't skimp on your resistance slots either. Electric armor relies on resistance rather than defense IIRC so you're taking all the hits coming at you but making them smaller instead of trying to avoid them entirely. Also grab your CC/Mez protection powers since stuns/holds last forever in this game and you want to maximize the amount of time you spend hitting things with your oversized weapon of choice.

That's awesome, thanks for all the words!

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Jazerus posted:

The Tourminator, because he was here for a brief tour

The S.S. Minnow 2.0
And the Rest
Thurston Howell XIX

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

khy posted:

Killing Time

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

decided to give the old classic 'combat bathing suit' superhero costume a try... ON A MALE CHARACTER!! dun dun duuun

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Take a look at that package

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

What do you reckon I should build to make a knock-off Metal Gear character? I’m thinking either a martial arts stalker with that munitions mastery patron pool I know nothing about, or an assault rifle blaster with ninjitsu.

Other contenders are things with traps, gadgets, etc. Maybe there’s a VEAT that’d work for it too.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

What do you reckon I should build to make a knock-off Metal Gear character? I’m thinking either a martial arts stalker with that munitions mastery patron pool I know nothing about, or an assault rifle blaster with ninjitsu.

Other contenders are things with traps, gadgets, etc. Maybe there’s a VEAT that’d work for it too.

Go with a Huntsman Spider build. Bane Spider, but only take the rifle attacks. You get three different grenades, a cloak and two kinds of reinforcements.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

That mission just makes me laugh now but I have to wonder how many support tickets it generated.

That also looks like a very easy layout for it.

It looks easier than it is - that middle room is a mesa connected by bridges, with a whole lower level on the ground floor. There's also a lot of corners in that middle-south room that can hide a hostage. By the time I got to the last room, there were still 2 hostages I had missed and that was after finding 4 of them in that last room alone.

Basically it's bigger than the 2D map (and the large green arrow that's me) suggests, and after thinking you've been as thorough as possible at the end and still needing to find 2 more? Pain in the rear end.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

Go with a Huntsman Spider build. Bane Spider, but only take the rifle attacks. You get three different grenades, a cloak and two kinds of reinforcements.

This sounds like a good plan, thanks for the tip. I had a huntsman back on live and quite enjoyed it.
I might also take some unnecessary pool powers from e.g. fighting. A shame that as far as I know they never got the utility belt pool finished.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

S.D. posted:

It looks easier than it is - that middle room is a mesa connected by bridges, with a whole lower level on the ground floor. There's also a lot of corners in that middle-south room that can hide a hostage. By the time I got to the last room, there were still 2 hostages I had missed and that was after finding 4 of them in that last room alone.

Basically it's bigger than the 2D map (and the large green arrow that's me) suggests, and after thinking you've been as thorough as possible at the end and still needing to find 2 more? Pain in the rear end.

poo poo like this is where the target custom next bind comes in handy: /bind <KEY> targetcustomnext Magician

Then just run around spamming <KEY>. Once one of them is in range, it'll lock on, and stay locked on until you hit ESC or manually target something else.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

khy posted:

Rounding Error

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Change the story slightly and call it Groundhog Century

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I spent way too long in Mids last night, having forgotten just how deep your can fall into that thing. I ended coming up with a build that's only sort of aspirational? Several cheap uncommon sets and a few plain IOs on top of the big ticket ones, and it still gets almost to the defence soft cap (the difference made up with -ToHit), perma Hasten, 95% mez resists, and like 250% recovery.

The joke is the build is for a Defender :negative:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

khy posted:

You got a bunch of good suggestions (Knockback to the Future and Clocksucker are my personal favorites) but:

Clockwork Ouro

Lost in Face (cuz you have to punch them to get home GET IT!?)

Century 21-Punch

Y2K-O Man

Marty McDie

E:
Beat Rushhour

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 5, 2019

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Quantum Reap

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I been trying to build a supergroup base for me and my friends and how the gently caress do I use doors as portals between cells? I'm using small wormholes (attached to one of the teleporter location things) sitting right on the door decoration but it ugly and I don't like it :mad:

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Just like a lot of the rest of base building, it's all down to trickery. There are a couple different items that work as teleport objects, so it's all about which one you use and how well you obscure it. One trick I've seen for doors is having the door very slightly ajar, and putting a portal on the wall behind it. Personally I've also used the Black Hole which is slightly smaller and less visually noisy than most of the other portals, and the Interdimensional Shard which is much smaller. The shard is more of a 3d object so you can also clip it most of the way into a wall or other object so that it's mostly hidden, but still clickable.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Go to AE

Look up the mission Goony Goony Goon

Play it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Super excited that this is back. Playing on Indomitable as HandjobofVecna. Nursing some other Taiwangoons through the levels. Hit me up if you see me in game.

Really disappointed that there isn't a "regular skeleton arm" option.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Spanish Matlock posted:

Super excited that this is back. Playing on Indomitable as HandjobofVecna. Nursing some other Taiwangoons through the levels. Hit me up if you see me in game.

/chanjoin GoonSquad

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

khy posted:

Counterpunch Clockwise

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

S.D. posted:

Admittedly I've internalized the map tiles in this game so thoroughly that I could read the map and know exactly what rooms those were...so maybe I'm also not a good judge of what's easy or not. :v: That said, I'm remembering the real doozy rooms in Oranbega like the one where you have to take a teleporter in order to navigate to a tiny out of the way library room that often has objectives tucked away in it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I didn't get to play this in its day but I fired up the private server last night. Holy poo poo, that character creator is boss. The rest of the game seems... wow that character creator is incredible. Every other MMO should be embarrassed of themselves as far as character creation goes.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 6, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Imagined posted:

I didn't get to play this in its day but I fired up the private server last night. Holy poo poo, that character creator is boss. The rest of the game seems... wow that character creator is incredible. Every other MMO should be embarrassed of themselves as far as character creation goes.
Soon, you shall be spoiled by cheap and plentiful jetpacks. And your default ground speed options being comparably fast as gently caress, even before you grab Ninja Run from the P2W vendor to the left of the Atlas statue :v:

...Oh yeah, and what City considers a Guild :allears:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Imagined posted:

the game itself is, mechanically, pretty similar to most old MMOs. this was one of the first to ditch autoattacks in favor of "using moves all the time" which is a lot cooler when you have several moves to alternate between. it's also kind of slow-paced solo, so that group combat is at all understandable

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The game was remarkably innovative given that it came out in 2004. It saw development and improvements up to 2012, but the core of the game is from 2004.

It’s still really unlike anything else on the market, though. There’s a reason everyone missed it so much.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah, there's been a LOT of improvements to it in its 8-year run but even back at 2004 it did a lot of things right that a lot of games even now still struggle or ignore, like play accessibility in the form of sidekicking/exemplaring (which only got better and more streamlined over time).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Imagined posted:

Gameplay-wise, I think the game really shines once you're playing in groups or playing solo at a really high level. It starts slow, like most MMOs, but there's a lot of flexibility in character builds and team compositions, along with a really different approach to combat roles even for its day. It predated WoW by a few months and I wish its approach to group combat had been the one to catch on instead of WoW's, really.

It stands out that CoH has actual, valuable support and control roles, not just tank, healer, and DPS. That alone is super refreshing, along with the fact that you can make a group out of a surprising variety of archetypes and roles and still do really well.

HPanda posted:

It’s still really unlike anything else on the market, though. There’s a reason everyone missed it so much.

Having also not really played it when it was live, I can absolutely see why people missed this game so much. There really isn't anything else like it, and other superhero MMOs look so rigid and conventional by comparison.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 6, 2019

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Go to AE

Look up the mission Goony Goony Goon

Play it.

Don't.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hey Tsurupettan, feel free to put this into post 2, and any discord users are welcome to pin a link to it as well (not that I could stop you..).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Harrow posted:

Having also not really played it when it was live, I can absolutely see why people missed this game so much. There really isn't anything else like it, and other superhero MMOs look so rigid and conventional by comparison.

I honestly can't think of many MMOs that I tried back in 2004 that was remotely as accessible; I tried maybe FF11 which I pinged off really hard because it was inaccessible since I never played or got used to its Everquest-like structure, and WoW had not come out yet