Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

esperterra posted:

still lollin' at maeve going thru shogun world in a story that mirrored her relationship with clementine, and then for clementine to basically be turned into a wmd against robutts and for them to not have an actual climactic face off with their wifi powers in the end lmbo gj writers

I really don't know why they didn't choose this moment to pay off ShogunWorld by having a small Samurai army show up for Maeve to deftly command with her wifi witch powers against the chaotic horde of cowboys that are freaking out because of Clem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

esperterra posted:

still lollin' at maeve going thru shogun world in a story that mirrored her relationship with clementine, and then for clementine to basically be turned into a wmd against robutts and for them to not have an actual climactic face off with their wifi powers in the end lmbo gj writers

That scene made me so angry. Maeve running around like an idiot for like 5 minutes before remembering to counter Clem powers with her on

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

All I ask is for enough leeway to get a spinoff about Armistice and Japanese Armistice.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Madurai posted:

All I ask is for enough leeway to get a spinoff about Armistice and Japanese Armistice.

The purest love story of the show.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

S3 better be an HBO version of that Rick and Morty inception episode

"A simulation, inside... A SIMULATION"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

KoRMaK posted:

S3 better be an HBO version of that Rick and Morty inception episode

"A simulation, inside... A SIMULATION"

Nah, they just crash through the wall into the next park and it's Game of Thrones World, because HBO realized they've got nothing without GOT, and season 3 of Westworld is just season 9 of GOT but Maeve and Dolores are there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Season 3 is going to be like Lost. They're not in purgatory Futureworld.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

S3 starts with them dismantling Game of Thrones World and replacing it with ChernobylWorld.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I do seriously wonder if the writers decided to X so that they could giggle about it.

Fixed; applies to anything in S2.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Season 3 is going to be like Lost. They're not in purgatory Futureworld.

They weren’t in purgatory in Lost

(except in the flash sideways segments of the final season)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Madurai posted:

Weirdly appropriate that after they brought back Armistice and had her do gently caress all but hang around for the whole season, they bring along Japanese Armistice and then do gently caress all with her.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The writers went “it’s wholly unbelievable that Maeve and Hector would survive on their own against hundreds of armed security guards... maybe add a 3rd unarmored robot to the mix.”

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the only good parts of this were ford, delos dad ep and zombie clementine. the rest is loving trash

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like the biggest and most glaring dropped thread is why the robots don’t just max all their stats out. Like what conceivable reason does Bernard have to not just give himself super speed and reaction time?

At first I thought maybe it was just a dropped thread the writers regretted introducing but no, LoL, they make sliding scale stat adjustments constantly, it just never occurs to the main characters who are deeply familiar with their own robotic bodies to just become better and stronger before going to war.

It was just a glaring issue that I was shocked they didn’t explore. It’s not some flighty philosophy scene, it’s like the buts and bolts of the show itself, and they ignored it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Dolores tweaked Teddy and it caused him to kill himself because he didn’t feel like himself anymore.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think if she’d tweaked him to like raisins in his oatmeal or to always put the seat down after peeing he’d probably have been fine, it’s the fact that she basically inverted his core tennets from “the literal only good Host” to “inhuman slaughterhouse”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, and there's no way Welcome To Westbot wouldn't have jumped at the chance to be a handspringing gun kata terminatrix. Delores/Wyatt just picked a dumb host to ascend.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The conflict between Dolores’s Nurture vs Nature and the way she can tell Maeve straight up “your daughter isn’t real” but then devote huge amounts of time and energy to her obsession with her dad and Teddy really felt like the writers for the season weren’t working together.

Actually typing that out makes me draw a lot of comparisons between this and the jump of S1 to S2 in Heroes.

This is better than Heroes, by a lot IMO, but similarly nosediving for the same reasons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I would have been totally fine with David Milch guest-writing an episode that featured Ian McShane playing a saloon-owning host.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The show already feels like it was written by somebody with a degenerative brain disease :v:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

The show already feels like it was written by somebody with a degenerative brain disease :v: a Reddit thread

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

feedmyleg posted:

The show already feels like it was written by somebody with a degenerative brain disease :v:

It's sad, but I have to :golfclap: because goddamn.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

feedmyleg posted:

At least Milch puts an effort in to making a good show.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
All of the season's problems seem to stem out of the need to have big reveals at the end to try to replicate the success of S1 with the William/MIB thing. Plot points, character motivations, etc. get intentionally obfuscated in service of it, and the story suffers as a result. I don't think it's a coincidence that the episode that most people agree is the best of season, Kiksuya, is the one that tells the most focused and straightforward story.

It's also proof that they've built a good world that you can tell interesting stories in. Just stop worrying about the internet being able to predict your ending ahead of time, who cares!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bust Rodd posted:

The conflict between Dolores’s Nurture vs Nature and the way she can tell Maeve straight up “your daughter isn’t real” but then devote huge amounts of time and energy to her obsession with her dad and Teddy really felt like the writers for the season weren’t working together.

She's a mix of a hypocrite and a split personality. Remember that there is "Dolores" and there is "Wyatt", she literally got handed an amoral warlord personality all in one go. It's part of the reason she's Crazy Pants McGoo.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the episode that most people agree is the best of season, Kiksuya, is the one that tells the most focused and straightforward story.

I'd say it wasn't even that it was a straightforward story, it was that it was a story in the first place. The two episodes that worked the most last year were the two episodes that contained a complete narrative that began and was resolved in the same episode. Even with other things happening, the story structure allowed the viewer to come along for the ride instead of holding them off at arms' length.

That's the thing, being a narrative rebel and deciding to forgo story structure may make you feel like you're clever, but story structure isn't 'overused' or 'passe,' it's just a very basic agreement you are making with the viewer. You will watch my thing and it will make sense in the end. That's all it is! There were plenty of people saying "Westworld was meant to be binged" and that was why it was ok for stories to go completely unresolved for multiple episodes. That's not compelling, that's not challenging the viewer. That's just jerking off.

Deride Lost all you want for its final season, it deserves what it gets - but it also knew that each episode had to tell its own story even as the overall narrative was advanced. Westworld seems to think that a puzzle with an inscrutable answer is somehow compelling. If I'm asked to play hangman, and the word turns out to be "ZBTYLPNXS," I'm not going to be cheering at the puzzlemaker for blowing away my expectations, even if it's the prettiest and most well-produced hangman game in the world. If anything, I'm going to be angry - you wasted my time and attention with all these great production values and actors and music, and it's for "ZBTYLPNXS?" gently caress off.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can you imagine how good S2 could have been (aside from First Nations guy episode, which rocked) if the robots were loving Velociraptor-like killing machines that hosed poo poo up instead of the smouldering tire fire that we got

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think you and I want this to be a very different show.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So what you’re saying is they should introduce robotic dinosaurs in S3.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I think you and I want this to be a very different show.

I just want it to be good. Season 3 is looking sort of promising.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jealous Cow posted:

So what you’re saying is they should introduce robotic dinosaurs in S3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL1wN_ihL_E&t=29s

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Professor Shark posted:

Can you imagine how good S2 could have been (aside from First Nations guy episode, which rocked) if the robots were loving Velociraptor-like killing machines that hosed poo poo up

Can't say this is my personal fetish but if that's what gets you off, I'm sure there's some Japanese hentai somewhere that does what you're looking for.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
So season 3 is filming in Singapore and is casting a pretty diverse group for the scenes there. Let me know if we don't care about this poo poo but if we are interested in speculating:

https://www.gameaxis.com/news/westworld-season-3-is-filming-in-singapore/

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

jojoinnit posted:

So season 3 is filming in Singapore and is casting a pretty diverse group for the scenes there. Let me know if we don't care about this poo poo but if we are interested in speculating:

We've come so far from the S&M casting calls of old... :allears:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

white text on hazard orange background

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

Embassy attendant ? I hope Dolores is seeking political asylum, that could be interesting.

Professor Shark posted:

Can you imagine how good S2 could have been (aside from First Nations guy episode, which rocked) if the robots were loving Velociraptor-like killing machines that hosed poo poo up instead of the smouldering tire fire that we got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=211MM3zxNwI

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Binary Logic posted:

Embassy attendant ? I hope Dolores is seeking political asylum, that could be interesting.

It's just for the Bureaucracyworld park

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

We've come so far from the S&M casting calls of old... :allears:

Must feel Ok with spreading your legs on HBO TV...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

Hell Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
From the Batman trilogy to this. Nice move, Roberts.