Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I threw my shirt away
Now I'm nothing
I let it slip away
Now I'm nothing
All that I can do
Is break myself in two
I hosed it all away
Now I'm nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

How long does it typically take for the store to ship? I ordered a top and a logo pin a month ago and supposedly it still hasn't gone out yet...

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

You guys ever think about how Year Zero has become a little less cheesy and a little more frighteningly accurate every year since it came out? Cause I sure, don't, haha...

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah it seems almost quaint to compare it to the bush administration as it was originally intended.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/ninlive/status/1130167691631890433

I still wish I could've gone to that :smith:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The Big Word posted:

How long does it typically take for the store to ship? I ordered a top and a logo pin a month ago and supposedly it still hasn't gone out yet...
Update: my order came through. Logo pin is surprisingly lovely quality but the PHM tank is cute as fuuuuck so it works out.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I might have gone if they'd remembered that there's states on the west coast besides California.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Molestationary Store posted:

I might have gone if they'd remembered that there's states on the west coast besides California.

they played 3 shows in vegas, should have flown out for one of those :D

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Photex posted:

they played 3 shows in vegas, should have flown out for one of those :D

vegas didnt do the nin meet up for tickets thing, they just sold them through the hard rock venue.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

The physical world presale in my city had massive rain all day, so I'm super glad I could just buy them online later. :D

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am late to game but I just found out that the number one song in america (lil nas - old town road) is using Ghosts 34 IV.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 21, 2019

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous John posted:

The physical world presale in my city had massive rain all day, so I'm super glad I could just buy them online later. :D

I got my tickets for free from one of the local promoters. Dropped them off at my house even.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am late to game but I just found out that the number one song in america (lil nas - old town road) is using Ghosts 34 IV.
And by proxy, given NIN their first #1 Billboard song ever :haw:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

A friend showed me some Game of Thrones video set to that song and I'm like: "wait, I know that song".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey is the chord progression in that sampled Ghosts track the same as from the chorus of Non Entity?

Edit: just relistened to Ghosts 34 and Non-entity (the first performance of it, during the Katrina benefit from 2005) and yeah... That's definitely the same progression. No complaints, because it works so well.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 21, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's one of Reznor's signature chord progressions really. He uses it in a lot of different ways.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

It's one of Reznor's signature chord progressions really. He uses it in a lot of different ways.

Do you know of other examples? Genuinely interested, not trying to be snarky.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do you know of other examples? Genuinely interested, not trying to be snarky.

There's probably a music theory term for why these all remind me of each other even though they're not identical. It's sort of this rising, falling, rising motion from the root chord to a final chord, not always the same exact chords, but following the same "curve". Whatever it is, it's always so clearly Reznor.

Piggy (this is the most clearly similar, I think)
Where Is Everybody chorus
Terrible Lie chorus (obviously the 2nd chord is different here, more minor feel)
Kinda I Want To pre-chorus
The Day The World Went Away
We're In This Together chorus (this has at least 1 extra chord compared to the others)
Not What It Seems Like

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 23, 2019

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Yeah a lot of the fragile has that motif from the frail appearing all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOMcxTK7-0w

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
TDS also has a motif /musical theme that returns. It's on the end of closer and it's the main theme in The Downward Spiral title track. Few other places as well, can't remember off hand

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

Yeah a lot of the fragile has that motif from the frail appearing all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOMcxTK7-0w

Also, there's the La Mer 'riff' shared with Into the Void. Man, I love poo poo like this.

This is one reason why Trent is so good. Now I'm trying to think of other albums that had a cohesive, musical theme (as in a riff or progression, not just genre or lyric-based theme). The only thing I can think of is the Pumpkins' MCIS with the opening, title track, and a variation to it played in the outro to Farewell and Goodnight, which is the last thing you hear on the album. Very nicely bookended.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Also, there's the La Mer 'riff' shared with Into the Void. Man, I love poo poo like this.

This is one reason why Trent is so good. Now I'm trying to think of other albums that had a cohesive, musical theme (as in a riff or progression, not just genre or lyric-based theme). The only thing I can think of is the Pumpkins' MCIS with the opening, title track, and a variation to it played in the outro to Farewell and Goodnight, which is the last thing you hear on the album. Very nicely bookended.

I'm somewhat prepared to take flak for this, though not nearly as much as a few years ago when the hype + backlash was at its highest... The Linkin Park album A Thousand Suns is a musical journey that I would put in a similar category as The Fragile. It's not nearly as long, of course, and it doesn't have really full blown instrumentals. But it's incredibly cohesive with interlocking motifs and and track transitions and stuff.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hikaru Utada’s Heart Station piano work does this throughout though not every track has it.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm somewhat prepared to take flak for this, though not nearly as much as a few years ago when the hype + backlash was at its highest... The Linkin Park album A Thousand Suns is a musical journey that I would put in a similar category as The Fragile. It's not nearly as long, of course, and it doesn't have really full blown instrumentals. But it's incredibly cohesive with interlocking motifs and and track transitions and stuff.

no flak from me. ATS wasn't/never will be my favorite LP album, but I used to hate it when it first came out, since it was pretty far away from any of their previous stuff. Going back to it in recent years though, it holds up pretty well, and as a complete listening experience it's really solid like you said.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Antichrist Superstar does it. Which Trent produced and all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Antichrist Superstar does it. Which Trent produced and all.

Yeah! I remember '1996' and the title track having the exact same chord progression.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That's something I took on from him and do in my own production, and have for so long I forget I picked it up from TDS. Thank you for your service, Trent.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah! I remember '1996' and the title track having the exact same chord progression.

It's also got the thing where the hidden track loops perfectly into the opening track.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Not gonna lie, even as a moody kid I could never sit through all of MCIS, but listening to that now that's dope as hell.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

As a fellow (former?) moody kid, I don't know how you didn't fall in love with every single second of this album, but hey... different folks.

This album spoke to me on some sort of level that nothing else did at the time, which I'm sure literally everyone who enjoys music experienced with whatever their favourite album is/was.

Now, after being trained as a recording engineer, I can hear the technical 'faults' or things that could have been maybe done better, but the writing and emotion behind it all still rings true to me.

I should clarify that I'm not trying to say I could do better, I can just sort of hear some stuff in the mix that could have been clearer, stuff like that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Farts_Johnson/status/1135208124732903426

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It’s got With Teeth on repeat.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mierenneuker posted:

Bark the Hand that Feeds You

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Mierenneuker posted:

You Know What You Are? (A Good Boy)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Laying in Sunspots

Yeah, I know they're sun beams

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Woah

https://mobile.twitter.com/jgrebes/status/1136263250289537025

https://mobile.twitter.com/UPROXX/status/1136269254624448512

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My favorite NIN pop songs are I Want This, My Vibrant Heart and The Four of Us Are Dancing. I also like Saul Williams’s remix, Photoshops By Computer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

quote:

Trent got it straight away, it was via email and he was really happy pretty quickly.

Well that's bizarre hahaha

I gotta watch this episode. I didn't even know the new season was out yet!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
If you'd told me how chill Reznor is twenty years ago I would've laughed in your face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Donovan Trip posted:

If you'd told me how chill Reznor is twenty years ago I would've laughed in your face

Not sure why; NINE INCH NAILS HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT BRINGING PEOPLE TOGETHER, LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST AND GOOD TIMES.