Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Emma's bet was basically preordained -- the only rational bet for her was $20,201.

3rd place had 11,000, meaning he could have doubled up to 22,000. if james got his FJ wrong he would have been left with $22,001

it was the correct bet for James. he knew the only way he was going to win was for Emma to get it wrong anyway, and it was the bet that protected him from Louis CK But Handsome coming from 3rd to snipe his victory.

This. I’m tired of explaining this to people on the Jeopardy FB page, saying that either James gave up (because he was tired of winning? Because he respected Ken Jennings too much to break his record? Because he missed his family? No goddamn way would he be that humble, knowing what I do of him from people who have interacted with him in person, and his family are right close by in Vegas, he’s able to see them after taping every Wednesday for the better part of a week until the next taping day on Tuesday) or that the show was rigged somehow (Sullivan Compliance and the federal government would have something to say about that).

NPR spoiled this for me on All Things Considered a little after 4pm, but apparently news outlets were running with this from even earlier this morning.

Also, Emma is apparently getting a ton of poo poo on the socials from dudebro Holzhauer fans broken up that he lost to a woman and implying that she must’ve rigged it in some way or another. Heard she had to deactivate her accounts for a bit because of that. No one deserves that.

Poque posted:

I don't think this is accurate but I'm not sure. My coworker's sister was on a couple games ago and said coworker went to the taping, and I vaguely remember that James Hype had already started and we were all like "What if he's still there for her game?!"

Yeah, this episode was apparently taped on March 12 or something like that.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It's hilarious that she may have studied just as hard as James did for jeopardy.

quote:

She got her master’s degree in information science from UNC in 2016, and wrote her master’s paper on predicting the difficulty of trivia questions using “Jeopardy!” clues.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ah thanks y'all, we all probably just started getting excited later.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Darth Brooks posted:

It's hilarious that she may have studied just as hard as James did for jeopardy.
Yeah that's what I just can't get over. She didn't study his games, she didn't analyze his strategy, she didn't target his weaknesses, she didn't go in with the goal of beating him. She independently arrived at the same strategy he did, and she was better at it than he was. What are the odds those two people get picked just a couple months apart?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yeah, there was discussion about it a few months back in the jeopardy contestants group; most multi-day male winners end up being beaten by women.

Anyway I am also glad he lost, and Ken’s tweets are the best.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also, the women who have been on Jeopardy have their own Facebook group to deal in part with the extra poo poo we have to deal with by being women who go on Jeopardy. And God forbid they win. During the last term tournament one of the contestants wanted advice because she was getting messages from a shitload of pedophiles who wanted to bang her.

I’m not at all surprised that Emma has to take her stuff down for a few days, because men are awful.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vertical Lime posted:

compared to how ken went out that felt anticlimatic

james got straight up beat, ken lost on an easy final.

but he remains king thank god.

mennoknight posted:

it actually rules extremely hard that he lost

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 4, 2019

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Have a full month of nothing but James, Brad and Ken and whoever has the most money at the end of the month is declared god of Jeopardy

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Have a full month of nothing but James, Brad and Ken and whoever has the most money at the end of the month is declared god of Jeopardy

buzzy as special guest host of this tournament just to maximize goon pain (and also because Buzzy Owns)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm on board.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Ironically, it’ll be the last month of Jeopardy before it declares bankruptcy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

I’m not at all surprised that Emma has to take her stuff down for a few days, because men are awful.

Not that I'm on twitter at all anyway, but I'd want to delete my poo poo the day I got on the show and I'm not even a woman.

I don't understand this need people have to interact with thousands of strangers on there, it so rarely ends well for anyone.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not on twitter, but the Facebook messages I got. Oh boy.

Also most women on Jeopardy always get this one guy who tries to get them to model for this new bra company he's "starting" (it's been going on for years). It's literally a running joke among us now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have both a Twitter and a Facebook that I haven't even bothered with either in about 5 years now. It was bad enough back then, I can't even imagine what kind of cesspit they are now.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

HookShot posted:

I'll take Techbro Nonsense for $1000, please.

A: This company will automatically ban you for 24 hours for posting "Men Are Trash" on its platform.
Q: What is Facebook?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Am I the only one who wanted him to break Ken's record? Nothing against Mr. Jennings but I think all records deserve to be broken.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

I'm not on twitter, but the Facebook messages I got. Oh boy.

Also most women on Jeopardy always get this one guy who tries to get them to model for this new bra company he's "starting" (it's been going on for years). It's literally a running joke among us now.

At least on facebook I have my poo poo locked down, I think last I checked my security settings you can't even search me unless you're a friend of a friend. I basically just use it to keep in touch with friends and family, vent about politics into the void, and to manage my cat's page because she's awesome and you should all go like her (Phyrexian Obliterator, though a lot of people on these dumb forums know her already).

But I can only imagine the poo poo you got :(. Even if there's a chance it can go well, I have no interest in putting myself out there. Hell, I'll probably go into hiding from the internet like it's GoT spoiler season again just so I don't go down that rabbit hole of reading the poo poo people write about me.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

HookShot posted:

Also, the women who have been on Jeopardy have their own Facebook group to deal in part with the extra poo poo we have to deal with by being women who go on Jeopardy. And God forbid they win. During the last term tournament one of the contestants wanted advice because she was getting messages from a shitload of pedophiles who wanted to bang her.

I am surprised at myself that I'm surprised at this. Thinking that a trivia game show isn't subject to all that bullshit is crazy, in retrospect.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Am I the only one who wanted him to break Ken's record? Nothing against Mr. Jennings but I think all records deserve to be broken.

I'll admit I like huge statistical outlier records that nobody will likely touch again. The 74 game streak and now the $131k game. Am I correct in thinking James holds the top 16 single-game scores now? It boggles the mind. John Bois should make a video about Jeopardy stats some time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

christmas boots posted:

i want ken jennings to hold it forever (and he likely will). it's just too perfect that it happened the season they got rid of the 5 game limit.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

christmas boots posted:

The Jeopardy gods declared James unworthy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
drat the look from Emma on Alex's comment about her being inspired by James was great.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

drat the look from Emma on Alex's comment about her being inspired by James was great.

I hope she wins 20 games.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
How many eps until Alex stops talking about James?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I hope she wins 20 games.

I hope she wins 33.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Poque posted:

Tomorrow: Emma beat James her first game, and she did a fine follow up to it yesterday. Let's see how she does today.

Over a month from now: Emma is still on her streak, and she's just about to beat James' run.

The interview in Emma's 76th consecutive game: But really Emma, what did it feel like meeting James for the first time

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

I hope she wins 33.

I hope she smashes all the records :black101:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I hope she wins 33.

I hope she wins 73 *mic drop*

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I hope she wins 73 *mic drop*

Same, if only for the tears of people on the Jeopardy Facebook page.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Poque posted:

Go easy on him, he's in love.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I've never looked forward to anything on this dumb show as much as the possibility of a James/Emma TOC rematch

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It's pretty cool that James was soundly beaten and didn't beat himself like Ken did when he lost. And Emma proved again that she's a strong player in her own right.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

normally i'd say just because you shot jesse james don't make you jesse james but this is a pretty drat good robert ford

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
On the other hand, not being able to nail that FJ doesn't bode well for the future. She better ensure it's always a runaway because that's the sort of FJ you should be able to reason out by a combination of geographical and historical knowledge.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah norway is a bizarre answer - most of it's on the same longitude as germany.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah norway is a bizarre answer - most of it's on the same longitude as germany.

It’s almost like you have only 30 seconds to answer it, you don’t know the answer so you make a guess.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s almost like you have only 30 seconds to answer it, you don’t know the answer so you make a guess.

You should hear some of my bad guesses at home!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

PT6A posted:

On the other hand, not being able to nail that FJ doesn't bode well for the future. She better ensure it's always a runaway because that's the sort of FJ you should be able to reason out by a combination of geographical and historical knowledge.

Yeah Emma's day 2 performance was not great

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Goober Peas posted:

You should hear some of my bad guesses at home!

I'm glad no one heard my bad guesses for last night's FJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I settled on Italy which does not make geographic sense at all.