Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

this seems like a genuinely good compromise, the '!' stuff lets them have more encounters and keeps the sense of randomness for people who like it and the overland stuff keeps things...good and fun :colbert:

For real though my like one genuine want for this gen after Let's Go was 'no more random encounters' and they did it, 10/10 would Wooloo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay I looked at the leaked list that's been partially confirmed now and I saw the words electric corgi pokemon and I'm loving sold day one

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dude789 posted:

I'm going to catch the sheep and name it "Woolooigi"

I was thinking Wololo age of empires style

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Idea for a Pokemon villain: Someone who's trying to hack the Pokemon computer network to release everyone's boxed Pokemon. If you lose the end game battle with him all your boxed Pokemon get released and the game autosaves.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

MikeJF posted:

Okay I looked at the leaked list that's been partially confirmed now and I saw the words electric corgi pokemon and I'm loving sold day one

Super hoping for this on my daughter's behalf.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MikeJF posted:

The region is based on the UK, isn't it? It would make sense to include corgis as they're the Queen's pet.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Finally another Sheep. It's my favorite animal by far and while the Mareep line was cool; goddamn is Wooloo the best. :swoon:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope the cotton pokemon gets a third stage. I really like the base fjorm but the puff ball isn't doing it for me

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

*screeching tires*
*car door slams*
*rapidly approaching footsteps*
*smashes right through the wall*

I AM GOING TO GIVE THAT H*CKIN GOOD BOY SWORDWOLF SO MANY PETTIN'S AND TREATS AND SCORBUNNY AND I ARE GOING TO FIST BUMP AS OFTEN AS POKEMONLY POSSIBLE HOLY poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I hope the cotton pokemon gets a third stage. I really like the base fjorm but the puff ball isn't doing it for me

I'm the other way around, the base seems kinda generic to me but the puff ball has charm :shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm the other way around, the base seems kinda generic to me but the puff ball has charm :shrug:

I will take any number of elegant flower pokemon

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MikeJF posted:

There's more screenshots on the website of stuff in the wild area and it looks like the bounds is more like this

Also wooloo's ability is called 'fluffy'.

The wild is literally everywhere that’s not a city/town.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1136275489042063360

Please protec

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Can I just say

Wooloolooloolooloo

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Idea: a name rater that actually rates your garbage nicknames

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
wooloo

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I guess I'm in the minority that wanted a regular Pokemon game, complete with random encounters.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i will !! i will protect it !! 😭😭😭

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
I feel obligated to pick Scorbunny because it's a bunny, but I also really want to love and protect Sobble. It's a tough choice.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sobble, wooloo, Sif crew looking good so far.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chocolate Bunny posted:

I feel obligated to pick Scorbunny because it's a bunny, but I also really want to love and protect Sobble. It's a tough choice.

Pick Scorbun, and switch your protectiveness over to Wooloo, who's also seeking stability in its life

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If Sobble's final form is James Chameleon I can't pick anything else. I'm hoping Grooky goes more Business Gorilla but it'll probably be Taiko so how can anything stop the powerhouse that is Sobble?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I guess I'm in the minority that wanted a regular Pokemon game, complete with random encounters.

As long as you still fight them and there's no ball toss mini game I'm cool with this.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Adjustable camera gently caress yeah

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So when you team up with other players online for the raid stuff, it's only randoms right

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Beachcomber posted:

wandering enemies on the map that you touch to trigger a random encounter have been industry standard for something like 15 years, it's as traditional as step-based random encounters at this point. It's actually kind of astonishing it took pokemon this long to catch up

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
:clears throat elaborately and at great length:

wooloo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hau is trash and I will get Pokemon Shiekd because I’m guessing literally everyone is going for Pokemon Sif.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope wooloo's evolutions are increasingly elaborate hairstyles glued onto increasingly large spheres

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

cheetah7071 posted:

wandering enemies on the map that you touch to trigger a random encounter have been industry standard for something like 15 years, it's as traditional as step-based random encounters at this point. It's actually kind of astonishing it took pokemon this long to catch up

All RPGs should play the same?

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

The only modern JRPGs I can think of that still use random battles are the Bravely series, Octopath Traveller and the Etrian Odyssey games. All of those are trying to be old school so it makes sense.

Even Dragon Quest ditched random encounters. When DQ is being more modern than a series chances are something is up with that series.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Beachcomber posted:

:rolleyes:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

a glitch posted:

The only modern JRPGs I can think of that still use random battles are the Bravely series, Octopath Traveller and the Etrian Odyssey games. All of those are trying to be old school so it makes sense.

Even Dragon Quest ditched random encounters. When DQ is being more modern than a series chances are something is up with that series.

Also you can turn off random battles in bravely whenever you want

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Beachcomber posted:

if it would mean pokemon would play better, yes. lmao.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this is literally a situation of pokemon improving. having to run back and forth in a spot to hope for a 1% chance is loving stupid and always has been.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Imagine being one of the weirdos that wants random encounters

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

Also you can turn off random battles in bravely whenever you want

Good point, I think Octopath has the same option? Also EO has an icon that tells you how soon the next random encounter will be, which again is better than what Pokemon has been doing till now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

a glitch posted:

Good point, I think Octopath has the same option? Also EO has an icon that tells you how soon the next random encounter will be, which again is better than what Pokemon has been doing till now.

Unfortunately there is no such option in Octopath. One of the classes has a passive that reduces them but you can never turn them off completely.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I hope wooloo's evolutions are increasingly elaborate hairstyles glued onto increasingly large spheres

Great now I want a dark type delinquent sheep with a pompador.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This debate is meaningless because SwSh has both types of encounters.