Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Poque posted:

I settled on Italy which does not make geographic sense at all.

At least you didn't respond to Trebek's "1940 and they wanted to ally with Nazi Germany" by immediately thinking of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact and yelling "Russia" which would have been really embarrassing and happened to a friend of mine in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I wound up on France like the Vichy government cause the geography made enough sense and for some reason I forget Iberia exists when the context is WWII.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

knowing portugal is in the uk's time zone paid off

also this is the one immediate exit interview james felt like doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAVFz9w_uAs

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I panicked and went with Italy even though that makes no sense because they're basically due south of Germany.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
STOP RINGING IN MY DUDE

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Erin is adorable and want her to win even though I doubt she will

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Poor ol’ Jonathan, thought of heteronyms and died.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Emma owns and it kind of sucks that her 3-day total is extremely impressive but feels like nothing. Gonna take a few champ cycles for the show to feel "normal" again but hopefully Emma gets a solid run out of this.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

As sad as I am to see the King go, Emma is a good champion.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I support Emma and she is my friend

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yup.

I'm now a LOT more excited for my audition this Wednesday :dance:

How'd you do? Mine is tomorrow

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Zack posted:

How'd you do? Mine is tomorrow

I just got home, it's a 5 hour drive each way.

I kicked its rear end, I think. At least, I feel WAY better than I did at my last audition back in 2009, with way fewer blank or uncertain questions on the written test(s). We actually took two tests, they wanted to test us on last year's test as well to compare the two in terms of difficulty. The first one I think I outright didn't know 5, and the second was only 3. I know one I hosed up that I realized about 30 seconds after I turned it in, but most of the ones I blanked on had to do with rap, which is my kryptonite.

I rocked the practice game, not missing any questions and buzzing in way more than I did last time.

Highlight of the day was during the warm-up to get us acquainted with the game and explain some poo poo about clues (like how Before&After works....dunno why anyone getting to this stage wouldn't know what, but it was a good warm-up). The clue was under "Quotation Marks", and was something like "O_u": Capital of Burkina Faso What is Ouagadougou, one of my favorite world capital names.

I shot my hand up thinking I was racing people but I don't think anyone else raised their hand, and I think the lady running it was pleasantly surprised that I didn't butcher the pronunciation. It was a nice confidence boost, anyway.

But I feel so much better about this than my last try, I think my first buzz-in not being a wrong answer helped by not derailing me right away (which is what I think killed me last time). My interview was pretty smooth and I think it stood out from almost everyone else answering"What do you like to do for fun?" with "I like to travel."

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

I panicked and went with Italy even though that makes no sense because they're basically due south of Germany.

Same. Knew it was wrong even as I said it. Thought Austria made good sense, but 1940 would be too late for that change. At least this Final let me run down the NATO phonetic quickly (that I still have memorized from a JROTC program) until I found an answer that made sense.

I’m just glad Emma broke the Giant Killer curse on Jeopardy, where people who beat superchamps tend to lose their next game; most famously Nancy Zerg, who was there when Ken Jennings lost (Ken mostly defeated himself, no offense to Nancy). She’s shaping up to be a decent champ with good (pre-Holzhauer) winnings per game, but since everyone has to compare her to the previous champ, they’ll say she isn’t as good, needing 3 days to do a total that he could’ve made in one or whatever.

Timeless Appeal posted:

drat the look from Emma on Alex's comment about her being inspired by James was great.

Especially since Emma would have no idea what he was talking about, since James’ episodes wouldn’t have started airing before her episode taped, and she was in the first taping of the day, so she wouldn’t have seen his DD strategy in action. Alex has to maintain the (thin) illusion that they do an episode every day, but he should know that the only time she saw James doing a DD was in the Monday game where he pulled it in the first clue of single Jeopardy and she got the other two. It’s not like James was the first one ever to bet big (or go all in) on DDs, and having written a Master’s thesis on Jeopardy, Emma’s smart enough to come up with the strat betting big (or all) on DDs herself.

I’ll give Alex a bit of a pass since this was the first taping day back since his cancer announcement, but only a bit of a pass. Classic Uncle Alex moment.

Poque posted:

Emma owns and it kind of sucks that her 3-day total is extremely impressive but feels like nothing. Gonna take a few champ cycles for the show to feel "normal" again but hopefully Emma gets a solid run out of this.

Mantis42 posted:

As sad as I am to see the King go, Emma is a good champion.
You would not believe the amount of people in the FB peanut gallery calling her smug because of that reaction to Alex’s question (and calling James humble and classy, it’s amazing what a good edit can do for a person) or anything else she does. Of course, a lot of it is because she’s a woman who beat James, and a lot of dudebros or whatever can’t handle that, but man, the amount of people putting her down, saying James must’ve let her win, or that he threw the game or whatever, or that she’s somehow this smug rear end in a top hat, is disgusting. And the people saying that they’ll never watch the show again because it supposedly did James dirty or whatever. :byewhore:

Ugh, I’m tired of pushing back against them on FB, the stupidity never ends, and her racking up some decent wins after beating James didn’t do as much as I hoped for shutting them up.

HookShot posted:

I'm not on twitter, but the Facebook messages I got. Oh boy.

Also most women on Jeopardy always get this one guy who tries to get them to model for this new bra company he's "starting" (it's been going on for years). It's literally a running joke among us now.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I am surprised at myself that I'm surprised at this. Thinking that a trivia game show isn't subject to all that bullshit is crazy, in retrospect.

Don’t forget the people with literal autism that are obsessed with the show and try to friend everyone with Trebek contestant photos. Most are harmless, but there’s a dude who will take advantage and initiate late night Messenger calls with women and leave messages asking for money or whatever or say things vaguely sexual harassing to them, then run behind the autism defense when called out on it or whatever. His name has gotten around in the FB group, so we know not to accept any friend requests from him or people connected with him, since he seems to have gotten some otherwise harmless autistic people edging towards harassing behavior as well.

I’m just lucky that I never got any friend requests from him, and the adjacent people who are iffy I leave in the friend request confirmation waiting room. I don’t confirm unless I actually see a Trebek photo or see them posting in the Jeopardy contestant group or remember their episode or know they’re a well known part of the Jeopardy or adjacent quizzing community.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Highlight of the day was during the warm-up to get us acquainted with the game and explain some poo poo about clues (like how Before&After works....dunno why anyone getting to this stage wouldn't know what, but it was a good warm-up). The clue was under "Quotation Marks", and was something like "O_u": Capital of Burkina Faso What is Ouagadougou, one of my favorite world capital names.

I shot my hand up thinking I was racing people but I don't think anyone else raised their hand, and I think the lady running it was pleasantly surprised that I didn't butcher the pronunciation. It was a nice confidence boost, anyway.

But I feel so much better about this than my last try, I think my first buzz-in not being a wrong answer helped by not derailing me right away (which is what I think killed me last time). My interview was pretty smooth and I think it stood out from almost everyone else answering"What do you like to do for fun?" with "I like to travel."

Who’d you have running your audition? Maggie, Corina, or someone else? The two I mentioned are good people, especially Maggie.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 6, 2019

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I just got home, it's a 5 hour drive each way.

I kicked its rear end, I think. At least, I feel WAY better than I did at my last audition back in 2009, with way fewer blank or uncertain questions on the written test(s). We actually took two tests, they wanted to test us on last year's test as well to compare the two in terms of difficulty. The first one I think I outright didn't know 5, and the second was only 3. I know one I hosed up that I realized about 30 seconds after I turned it in, but most of the ones I blanked on had to do with rap, which is my kryptonite.

I rocked the practice game, not missing any questions and buzzing in way more than I did last time.

Hey, I remember that Ouagadougou clue from my audition last summer. I missed like 3 art & religion questions on the written test and blanked on an easy Steinbeck clue in the practice game, but the practice game isn't really about getting all the clues. I think my interview/camera presence was kinda meh, but I'm still in the pool until next January. The one thing that kept nagging me after the practice game was "did I really beat the other players on the buzzer, or did the coordinator throw it to me out of fairness?"

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 6, 2019

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

GhostStalker posted:

You would not believe the amount of people in the FB peanut gallery calling her smug because of that reaction to Alex’s question (and calling James humble and classy, it’s amazing what a good edit can do for a person) or anything else she does. Of course, a lot of it is because she’s a woman who beat James, and a lot of dudebros or whatever can’t handle that, but man, the amount of people putting her down, saying James must’ve let her win, or that he threw the game or whatever, or that she’s somehow this smug rear end in a top hat, is disgusting. And the people saying that they’ll never watch the show again because it supposedly did James dirty or whatever. :byewhore:

She's unlocked the remarkable achievement of being even more unlikeable than the :spergin: she beat. And she's not nearly as good either, as her stats show. She's good and she got lucky, both great traits. I wish her well and hopes she wins many dollars, but she's not going to have a 30+ run because she's just not that good.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Dick Jones posted:

The one thing that kept nagging me after the practice game was "did I really beat the other players on the buzzer, or did the coordinator throw it to me out of fairness?"
Imo there's some of each, that wasn't hidden at all when I've gone. If two people are milliseconds apart on the buzzer, and one person's answered five questions already and the other's answered none, you want to see how the second person handles it, can they function, do they speak up, do they know it, etc.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

User posted:

She's unlocked the remarkable achievement of being even more unlikeable than the :spergin: she beat. And she's not nearly as good either, as her stats show. She's good and she got lucky, both great traits. I wish her well and hopes she wins many dollars, but she's not going to have a 30+ run because she's just not that good.

I don’t see the unlikeability, but I agree that she likely won’t go as far as James or win as much money (really, he was a flash in the pan, and we likely won’t be seeing someone like him again for a long time, his eventual ToC and likely other tournament appearances in the future notwithstanding). She’s still a really good player from what we’ve seen of her so far, just probably not on the same tier as someone like James, but maybe just one or two below him on the level of other multi game winners.

I really don’t see where all the people calling her smug are coming from, and I’m amazed at how good the edit to make him look “humble” was.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

GhostStalker posted:

I’m amazed at how good the edit to make him look “humble” was.

What do you mean by edit? Was he being a dick or something and it got papered over in post production?

Fake edit: Beyond the obvious autism spectrum symptoms I mean.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

User posted:

What do you mean by edit? Was he being a dick or something and it got papered over in post production?

Fake edit: Beyond the obvious autism spectrum symptoms I mean.

Nah, just in general how they shot him on camera.

During his run, Jeopardy made him look real humble and classy, which a lot of viewers have been taken with, whereas people who have interacted with him online (and IRL) have called him the opposite. In other game shows he’s been on, they’ve also made him seem a lot more villainous, but that’s also editing.

From what I’ve heard of him, he can be real dismissive if he doesn’t think you’re worth his time, and can get real aggressive towards people (his accusations wrt people cheating in LL without evidence comes to mind, after which he ragequit the league), and plenty self-aggrandizing (to be fair, he’s got a lot to be proud of, but the king website comes to mind as well).

Still, he’s giving Emma kudos on Twitter on her performance in the game that she beat him in, and is also pushing back on the dudebros attacking her, so he apparently doesn’t see her as beneath him.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 6, 2019

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Makes me almost wish for Jeopardy Untucked, green room reality show.
edit: dude won 2.4 million why be a dick, right?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Anne Whateley posted:

Imo there's some of each, that wasn't hidden at all when I've gone. If two people are milliseconds apart on the buzzer, and one person's answered five questions already and the other's answered none, you want to see how the second person handles it, can they function, do they speak up, do they know it, etc.

Huh. I probably had tunnel vision from the performance anxiety but the coordinator's response seemed to be the same for all buzz-ins.

User posted:

Likeable schmikeable. I hope she gets into the ToC at the very least. Emma's efficient, no-bullshit demeanor is a breath of fresh air after 33 episodes of James' douchey theatrics.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

GhostStalker posted:

I don’t see the unlikeability, but I agree that she likely won’t go as far as James or win as much money (really, he was a flash in the pan, and we likely won’t be seeing someone like him again for a long time, his eventual ToC and likely other tournament appearances in the future notwithstanding). She’s still a really good player from what we’ve seen of her so far, just probably not on the same tier as someone like James, but maybe just one or two below him on the level of other multi game winners.

I really don’t see where all the people calling her smug are coming from, and I’m amazed at how good the edit to make him look “humble” was.

she almost certainly would have been a one-day champ if middle guy had not somehow thought "trifolium" meant barley. I like her a lot but she is very mortal as jeopardy contestants go.

The "smug" thing is hilarious, she's confident and self-assured and Men On The Internet can only interpret that as smugness

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
She should focus on appearing gentle and kind. I, an extremely nice guy and true gentleman, can provide for her,

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

User posted:

Jesus Christ. So apparently the standard for jeopardy now is you either win 20+ games, or you just suck.

It’s like professional sports. Dude that “sucks” and plays the 4th line in hockey, or practice team NFL, or backup in baseball would wipe the floor with pretty much any non professional in their respective sports. So all these hot takes of “well, she got something wrong, so she obviously sucks” are just the loving worst.

GhostStalker posted:

Still, he’s giving Emma kudos on Twitter on her performance in the game that she beat him in, and is also pushing back on the dudebros attacking her, so he apparently doesn’t see her as beneath him.

Hopefully it’s genuine, but I could see James also pushing back defending her because it makes him look more noble.

Soothing Vapors posted:

she almost certainly would have been a one-day champ if middle guy had not somehow thought "trifolium" meant barley. I like her a lot but she is very mortal as jeopardy contestants go.

Right. All jeopardy contestants are mortal. I think we are taking for granted that it’s rare to have someone as good as James, or Buzzy, or Julia, and that most contestants in my comparison above are professional grade, but maybe not Wayne Gretzky good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I missed last night's episode, and I'll be missing tonight's too, why is there drama about a woman winning more than one game?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Iron Crowned posted:

I missed last night's episode, and I'll be missing tonight's too, why is there drama about a woman winning more than one game?

She's not James and a significant portion of the online Jeopardy audience fell in love with James. The subreddit is getting downright creepy about him.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

zakharov posted:

She's not James and a significant portion of the online Jeopardy audience fell in love with James. The subreddit is getting downright creepy about him.

Plus the conspiracy theories about him throwing the game or whatever for reasons, letting some of James’ more vocal dudebro fans slam the poo poo out of her with that to diminish her accomplishments. Again, it’s amazing what a good edit will do to a person’s rep.

Man, even George Takei has gotten in on it on Twitter. Not attacking Emma, but giving oxygen to the conspiracy theory wrt James throwing the game because he bet lower than he usually did (hint, that’s because this was the first time he was in second going into Final and that changes the math) with a video he put together. Not gonna link it here, you guys can find it yourself if you want to. Jeopardy people and others are of course pushing back against it (and using his previous statements on conspiracy theories being dangerous things to have him be the pot calling the kettle black) using the facts of the matter, but we’ll see if he’ll acknowledge that he was wrong about this. I really hope he does.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 6, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah, the thing with taking down champions when they're on a run is it's just like what the IRA said to Thatcher when they were trying to kill her: "...remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always."

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

GhostStalker posted:

Man, even George Takei has gotten in on it on Twitter. Not attacking Emma, but giving oxygen to the conspiracy theory wrt James throwing the game because he bet lower than he usually did (hint, that’s because this was the first time he was in second going into Final and that changes the math) with a video he put together.

That's nuts. James is a professional gambler and is not going to get a bet wrong, and about one minute of thought is all you need to see that his bet did in fact maximize his chance of winning.

He lost for two simple reasons: he got unlucky with when the daily doubles came, and Emma was a plenty good enough competitor to turn that into victory.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't understand liking james. i wanted him to lose so hard after i read that article where he said he couldn't see himself working a 9-5 as if people CHOOSE to do it. everyone wishes they had millions of bucks like you so they could do whatever and travel whenever.

i'm glad he got straight up beat unlike ken who beat himself.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what you should be learning from all of this is how bad people are at gambling. it’s a loving goldmine out there. like people put thousands and thousands of dollars with the boneheaded logic they’re employing constantly. best part is they keep coming back.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't understand liking james. i wanted him to lose so hard after i read that article where he said he couldn't see himself working a 9-5 as if people CHOOSE to do it. everyone wishes they had millions of bucks like you so they could do whatever and travel whenever.

I'm with you on this 100%. Between that comment and his whole "I took a year off to study" thing he really rubbed me as an out of touch rich person who has no idea what life is like for most people. Couple that with his website and his overall weird behavior and I stopped watching Jeopardy about 3 weeks ago, realizing that I'd hear exactly when he lost and could start watching again.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Groovelord Neato posted:

From what I've read, it has less to do with his personality and more with someone playing the game "right." The Serious Jeopardy Watchers have been screaming for people to bet big on Daily Doubles for years. And it makes sense: most contestants get most questions right, so logically if you're in that situation you should feel good about betting on yourself unless you really hate the category. And if you do, why did you pick that clue?

If you've enjoyed his play style it's probably hard to go back to watching people play mostly top down and betting relatively small.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

There’s lots of people who choose not to work a “9-5,” it’s not a synonym for “regular employment.” Most of them are not independently wealthy. Shift work, remote work, camp work, on-call work, it’s never 9 to 5 weekdays only, and it’s poo poo that someone has to do. I know people who work those jobs who would never consider a normal office job, and conversely I know people working office jobs who love the predictability and lifestyle, so I don’t know what’s to get so upset about.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm with you on this 100%. Between that comment and his whole "I took a year off to study" thing he really rubbed me as an out of touch rich person who has no idea what life is like for most people. Couple that with his website and his overall weird behavior and I stopped watching Jeopardy about 3 weeks ago, realizing that I'd hear exactly when he lost and could start watching again.

:same:

I made sure to tune in when he got dethroned, I was kinda hoping he would throw a tantrum, but the best I got was a obviously agitated gritting of teeth going into the break before FJ.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PT6A posted:

There’s lots of people who choose not to work a “9-5,” it’s not a synonym for “regular employment.” Most of them are not independently wealthy. Shift work, remote work, camp work, on-call work, it’s never 9 to 5 weekdays only, and it’s poo poo that someone has to do. I know people who work those jobs who would never consider a normal office job, and conversely I know people working office jobs who love the predictability and lifestyle, so I don’t know what’s to get so upset about.

James is from a wealthy family and his "job" is gambling on sports.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

James is from a wealthy family and his "job" is gambling on sports.

Yes, and? You can get pissed off about that but it has nothing to do with not wanting to work a 9 to 5. Austin didn’t work a 9 to 5 either and probably didn’t want to.

I’m in an industry where there’s no such thing as a standard schedule, so forgive me if it rubs me the wrong way that people claim not wanting to work a “standard” job makes you rich and/or lazy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PT6A posted:

Yes, and? You can get pissed off about that but it has nothing to do with not wanting to work a 9 to 5. Austin didn’t work a 9 to 5 either and probably didn’t want to.

I’m in an industry where there’s no such thing as a standard schedule, so forgive me if it rubs me the wrong way that people claim not wanting to work a “standard” job makes you rich and/or lazy.

It's ok, Bortus, 9 to 5 is an Earth idiom for a full time job.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Captain von Trapp posted:

That's nuts. James is a professional gambler and is not going to get a bet wrong, and about one minute of thought is all you need to see that his bet did in fact maximize his chance of winning.

He lost for two simple reasons: he got unlucky with when the daily doubles came, and Emma was a plenty good enough competitor to turn that into victory.

abelwingnut posted:

what you should be learning from all of this is how bad people are at gambling. it’s a loving goldmine out there. like people put thousands and thousands of dollars with the boneheaded logic they’re employing constantly. best part is they keep coming back.

I know this, we know this, most Jeopardy people know this, but there’s just no getting around the gut instinct of a person who “knows” they’re right and won’t listen to your explanations or look at the math that proves that he made the best bet possible. James bet small so of course he threw the game (because he wanted to get back to his family or respected Ken Jennings’ record too much or was tired of winning or didn’t want to pay more taxes on it or wanted to walk off into the sunset or whatever rationale they’re using), never mind the endless reasonings posted proving he did the right thing in his bet.

Man, so many people in our FB group saying that they want to meet these people across a poker table and use them as their own personal ATMs. People can just not into basic math because it’s too hard or whatever, they don’t understand the strategy no matter if we point news articles or Jeopardy fan websites explaining the bet to them. James is a professional gambler and a childhood math prodigy, he ain’t gonna gently caress up a wager like that, It’s disgusting how ignorant people can be with their fanboyism blinding them, especially since he was beat by a woman like Emma who could be the female minor version of him.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah, this. Good edit and all that, with people convinced he’s more “classy” than Jennings, or even humble. Dude is super self-aggrandizing, going off of what I know of people who have interacted with with him IRL and online over long periods of time.

zakharov posted:

From what I've read, it has less to do with his personality and more with someone playing the game "right." The Serious Jeopardy Watchers have been screaming for people to bet big on Daily Doubles for years. And it makes sense: most contestants get most questions right, so logically if you're in that situation you should feel good about betting on yourself unless you really hate the category. And if you do, why did you pick that clue?

If you've enjoyed his play style it's probably hard to go back to watching people play mostly top down and betting relatively small.
On the other hand, I also get this. I just wish the guy who did it had a better overall personality, and not just the one that the cameras wanted you to see or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Dick Jones posted:

Hey, I remember that Ouagadougou clue from my audition last summer. I missed like 3 art & religion questions on the written test and blanked on an easy Steinbeck clue in the practice game, but the practice game isn't really about getting all the clues. I think my interview/camera presence was kinda meh, but I'm still in the pool until next January. The one thing that kept nagging me after the practice game was "did I really beat the other players on the buzzer, or did the coordinator throw it to me out of fairness?"

Two non-rap clues bugged the poo poo out of me. One was about Dylan Thomas; I could see the fucker's face and hear his voice in a clip of an interview I JUST saw like 3 days ago, but my brain froze up on his name. The other was a before and after and again, could see the face and hear the voice, couldn't remember Emma Stone's name.

Needless to say those two names are now engraved on the inside of my skull.

EDIT: Re: buzzer timing: For sure they were spreading it around so everyone got a chance, so it's hard to tell.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 6, 2019