Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
You by no means need to Max-Act every hit. Ex-Acting is pretty easy to get down consistently, and you'll get enough Max-es to keep with the moves that use multiple charges. Just don't sweat it if you're not consistent yet. Keep trying and you'll get it.

Now throwing in ghost punches on the regular, that's the real magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mymla posted:

Man, Nero is so much harder to play than Dante. I'm sure there are nerds who can hit max-act consistently on every single hit in a combo without breaking a sweat, but I struggle to do it even on one in five hits.

The timing is right after you see the white slash on the enemy. And don't worry, it's not really necessary. If you're playing Bloody Palace, you can use the time after you clear a floor to rev up the sword and charge your gun (you can load the 3 explosive bullets but not use the DMC4 charge mechanic, either cancel with an air taunt or enter the portal) to at least start the encounter with a lvl3 Streak, works wonders on crowds.

What does kill me with Nero versus Dante it's the fact that I got so used to Royal Guard that playing without I'm a hot mess. I never used table hopper since you can just neutral jump or shuffle from most dangers in DMC4. However in V I get bodied every time I try that, gotta get better with dodges.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It seems like maybe too fiddly of a mechanic sometimes Table Hopper is a very important part of Nero’s Kit, if only because it saves you from some impossible situations.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I can count on my hand the amount of times I've purposefully proc'd a table hopper and it always was against vergil to style on him. Triple jumping to dodge away is just as good and you don't need perfect timing either

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideki_Kamiya posted:

Devil May Cry
regular series writer Noboru Sugimura[16] created a scenario for the title, based on Kamiya's idea to make a very cool and stylized action game.[17] The story was based on unraveling the mystery surrounding the body of protagonist Tony,[18] an invincible man with skills and an intellect exceeding that of normal people, his superhuman abilities explained with biotechnology.[15]

lmao TONY

On another note, first run of Ninja Gaiden Black done on Hard Normal. This is a monster of a game! Having Hard, Harder, Harderer, and Most Harderist as the difficulty options I'm slated to run through with no new game plus option like the rest of the stuff I've been playing sounds daunting. It's pretty great though, holds up well.

fedit: up to the Alma fight on "Hard" and it's still groovin along, but there's some frustrating stuff where you can tell Kamiya Itagaki said OH YOU WANT IT HARD HUH?? and threw the pacing off. I might have to put some other games in the rotation before I finish this one up, or call it good after completing Hard or something, this is gonna test my patience.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 24, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I don't think Kamiya worked on Ninja Gaiden

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Whoops thx, saw way too many names digging through Wikis on the history of this stuff

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

One of the early names for Vergil was "Paul" - Tony and Paul, the Umbrella boys in Resident Evil 4, Karnival, Devil May Cry

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He's kept the Tony Redgrave name since those early ideas too.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

RBX posted:

He's kept the Tony Redgrave name since those early ideas too.

And Kamiya's used it in Bayonetta. And Enzo.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Devil Sword Tony

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Devil May Cry 5 starring Tony, Chad, and P.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
George awakens to his power of his father's sword (Paulmato)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The legendary dark knight Steve

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Hank Hill, Devil Hunter

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Never gonna get tired of the new and creative videos people put up showing beating up Vergil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stfUXFQUtME.

I hope that in DMC 6 we get to play as Vergil beating up Dante at some point.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Hey I'm making an action game thread so I don't have to just poo poo up here and Discord with gifs of Tron Evolution being bad. Any title ideas?

3D Hack n' Slash Megathread: Witch Time Has Come and So Has Gaiden ?

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

teh_Broseph posted:

Hey I'm making an action game thread so I don't have to just poo poo up here and Discord with gifs of Tron Evolution being bad. Any title ideas?

3D Hack n' Slash Megathread: Witch Time Has Come and So Has Gaiden ?

If it'd fit, I'd add, for the sake of it, Featuring Dante, from the Devil May Cry series

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It really should just be 3D Hack n' Slash Megathread Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
3D Hack n Slash Megathread: Witch Time Gaiden ft. Dante from the DMC Series is up! I'll move my action game genre playthrough over there. Feel free to hop in and play some games and talk about character action game bullshit like is Dante's hair in 3 worse than in DmC? Is Killer Is Dead an underrated masterpiece of art and gameplay? Is a Marlow Briggs x Devil's Third crossover what's needed to push the bar past what DMC5 just set?

Sneak preview of my current game Tron Evolution which is really bad, one of the abilities of a weapon you can swap to makes you invisible to enemies (including bosses) while standing still or walking around in block stance and it might be the most crazy broken thing I've ever seen. Here's testing it out some:

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1133190342591881216

New thread could use some SSS gifs

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Is it a bug that no combat music whatsoever plays in some missions, like mission 8 for example?
Hella weird design decision if not.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It is a very weird design decision unfortunately, not a bug

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Some missions skip out on the combat music to signal that Wacky Woohoo Pizza Time is (temporarily) over.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

So, one thing that I've been constantly thinking and rethinking over, since beating 5 for the first time back at release, is, admittedly, how 5 kind of takes away some of Dante's sort of 'coolness' factor, and it's not in an intentional way, but a depressing one.

Most of it is via background info, the novel, etc, but to hear that the same goofball we see shaving his beard via demonic pinwheel practically does nothing anymore but fight demons because he has enough lingering trauma over Eva and Vergil that the only people he socializes with are Lady and Trish, and only in enough of a way to keep a sort of rivalry going, hurts in a weird way.

It doesn't hurt the game or anything, but it's almost saddening in a way, to see Dante go from 3, all the way to 5, where, according to the novel, he specifically bails on Patty's 'party' not because he just doesn't want to go, but because he 'doesn't feel comfortable' being around anyone thanks to his powers. Like, I know the dude has self loathing issues, but up until 5, I honestly though that, character wise, he was past some of that. Yeah, it's a hell of a lot of analysis over our goofy, pizza loving half-demon hunter, but after Nero getting his 'happy ending', it's almost more upsetting that Dante ended up not getting one of his own, aside from his fighting with Vergil being downgraded from trying to kill him, back to something more like their fights pre-3.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Dante has a happy ending in 5 tho

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yep, he gets his bro back and has something of a complete family again. Unless I'm mistaken 3 was the first time him and Virgil actually fought to kill each other and Virgil's past all of that.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Magil of Shadow posted:

So, one thing that I've been constantly thinking and rethinking over, since beating 5 for the first time back at release, is, admittedly, how 5 kind of takes away some of Dante's sort of 'coolness' factor, and it's not in an intentional way, but a depressing one.

Most of it is via background info, the novel, etc, but to hear that the same goofball we see shaving his beard via demonic pinwheel practically does nothing anymore but fight demons because he has enough lingering trauma over Eva and Vergil that the only people he socializes with are Lady and Trish, and only in enough of a way to keep a sort of rivalry going, hurts in a weird way.

It doesn't hurt the game or anything, but it's almost saddening in a way, to see Dante go from 3, all the way to 5, where, according to the novel, he specifically bails on Patty's 'party' not because he just doesn't want to go, but because he 'doesn't feel comfortable' being around anyone thanks to his powers. Like, I know the dude has self loathing issues, but up until 5, I honestly though that, character wise, he was past some of that. Yeah, it's a hell of a lot of analysis over our goofy, pizza loving half-demon hunter, but after Nero getting his 'happy ending', it's almost more upsetting that Dante ended up not getting one of his own, aside from his fighting with Vergil being downgraded from trying to kill him, back to something more like their fights pre-3.

It's always that's been something kept mostly in the background of the games but yeah Dante is emo as Hell and uses his bravado as a front. It was part of the game even in DMC 1 in the opening where Dante is describing being born with his powers like it's the most horrible thing ever. One of his big hangups is that he just can't connect with normal people. He's a lot less "Duke Nukem" and a lot more "Vash the Stampede".

Other sad fact: The reason he's so broke is because he keeps giving most of his money to the people whose lives have been ruined by virtue of having met him.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Flytrap posted:

It's always that's been something kept mostly in the background of the games but yeah Dante is emo as Hell and uses his bravado as a front. It was part of the game even in DMC 1 in the opening where Dante is describing being born with his powers like it's the most horrible thing ever. One of his big hangups is that he just can't connect with normal people. He's a lot less "Duke Nukem" and a lot more "Vash the Stampede".

Other sad fact: The reason he's so broke is because he keeps giving most of his money to the people whose lives have been ruined by virtue of having met him.

This is very true, I think that 5 was the first time aside from 1's intro where it's been so apparent, and how it's handled, rather subtly, I have to admit, it feels more real then it would if they outright nailed it over the player's head with it.

Course, it's more jarring when you compare him and Vergil to Nero, who arguably has had it just as worse, if not even more so, and manages to come out better in the end for it. Sure, Dante 'patches things up' with Vergil, but even so, man needs a loving hug.

Though, I MIGHT be a bit biased, due to 3's tainting me towards Dante and Lady having chemistry, only for it to be derailed by both the anime, 4, 5, the novels, AND the director, but that's only part of the thing.

Granted, the more serious tone of 5 in comparison might be part of what makes the facade all the more obvious when compared to the rest of the series as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don’t think Dante could imagine a better retirement than patching things up with Vergil and spending his time killing demons in hell, annoying his brother with one-liners and dueling him in friendly competition.

That sounds like a happy ending to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Where's the pizza

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

RBX posted:

Yep, he gets his bro back and has something of a complete family again. Unless I'm mistaken 3 was the first time him and Virgil actually fought to kill each other and Virgil's past all of that.

The brothers' dialogue in 3 sounds like they've fought a few times before. But it would also be entirely in character for Vergil to start spouting "for once and for all!" for maximum drama regardless of context.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I meant I'm sure they fight all the time but it was never for serious until 3.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The important question is, will DMC 5 get DOOM crossover DLC?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Doom Eternal ads are showing up and I desperately want it to release this year so DMCV has actual GOTY competition.

capcom if u release vergil dlc this year you are guaranteed to win

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have heard that this game is good. Is it in fact good?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

The Lone Badger posted:

I have heard that this game is good. Is it in fact good?

Well it's like this, not only is it good but it is also cool.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Magil of Shadow posted:

Though, I MIGHT be a bit biased, due to 3's tainting me towards Dante and Lady having chemistry, only for it to be derailed by both the anime, 4, 5, the novels, AND the director, but that's only part of the thing.

the only reason dante and lady aren't A Thing is because itsuno has weird hangups over dante and trish not being characters he made. this is why all the focus is on nero and vergil, who he did

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gotta respect Kamiya's original authorship, and also avoid the weird mommy issues thing with Trish looking like Eva

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Did that ever come up in this game aside from with little quip she gives to V? Seems like it should be a bigger deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don’t think Dante could imagine a better retirement than patching things up with Vergil and spending his time killing demons in hell, annoying his brother with one-liners and dueling him in friendly competition.

That sounds like a happy ending to me.

Nah, Dante needs to get a boyfriend.