Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Don’t take race numbers off until your next race. Then just cover them with the new numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Good advice. But it's so pretty!!!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

finally got rid of the left mirror and installed these:

just finishing up the graphics on the front fender and I should be theoretically done loving around with it for awhile :D

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

went quicker than I thought :D

just gotta put a new 705 on the rear and do an oil change before I ride to banff later this year and I should be good. lasted 7600mi so far so I can’t complain

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Not enough KTM stickers, someone might get confused what kind of bike it is

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
that sum kinda husaberg?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

that sum kinda husaberg?

if only :(

also just finished up properly torquing the steering stem as it had the tiniest amount of play in it. probably from me loving around in the cascades and jumping it while waaaaay overloaded :D

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Needs more Handroid-type decorations

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My friend and I got out riding this weekend to one of the closer areas which we'd never been before. The best part was with the holiday weekend I thought it would be madness but it seemed the crowds all went elsewhere to ride so we basically had the place to ourselves. It rained on Saturday so I'm guessing that also kept people from riding.

We were riding this particular trail which was fast and smooth through the forest. It was fun because you could ride it in 3rd and the bumps were enough you could get airborne if you wanted to. Eventually though it turned into rocks and then it started going up. The dirt was great since it had some moisture in it but the rocks were grapefruit to watermelon sized and wet. We made it up a few of the switchbacks after a few attempts and as I'm lining up to get up to the top of the trail my friend realized my rear tire was flat. I must have pinch flatted on the rocks somewhere going up. I made it up the last section and then limped it 3-4 miles out to the car without damaging the rim or tire.

So I'm ordering tubes and tire spoons now. I can't tell you how many BMX/road/mtb tires I've changed in the past so in theory I know what I'm doing but holy poo poo the amount of force needed for a moto tire is a whole new world.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Use lots of lube!

Based on the weather you describe you're in the PNW? Green Mountain or some other ride?

What pressures do you run? I like to run 15/12 F/R when I'm on rocky trails to avoid pinch flats.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Use lots of lube!

Based on the weather you describe you're in the PNW? Green Mountain or some other ride?

What pressures do you run? I like to run 15/12 F/R when I'm on rocky trails to avoid pinch flats.

I live in Seattle and this was Reiter near Gold Bar/Index. I've never been and its the closest to the city so I wanted to check it out. It was pretty empty as everyone must have gone elsewhere for the holiday weekend. I usually do about the same (15/12) for air but I didn't remember to air up after my last ride which was sandy so I was probably running 10ish in the rear. Had a great time until I flatted. I run a Motoz Tractionator enduro 120/90 so its bigger than stock thanks to the previous owner. I think the beefiness of the tire actually might have helped protect the rim and the tire itself seems fine. The road out is smooth and well maintained so I kept it slow and tried to keep my weight over the front tire.

I'll report back when my levers come in. I'm ordering extra tubes and some patches as well because this will likely happen again.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Have you been to Walker Valley? They did a bunch of trail maintenance within the last couple months and it is very nice.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Have you been to Walker Valley? They did a bunch of trail maintenance within the last couple months and it is very nice.

No, not yet.

I just bought my bike (07 WR250F) in october and am fairly new to moto. I have a bmx/mtb/road background and I used to have a trail 70 as a kid and rode my friends/cousins ttr125 and cr80 etc so its not like I'm starting from scratch. I've been to Tahuya several times, Mattawa, Reiter. This is going to be my first summer with the bike so I anticipate I'll be riding more.

I want to get up to Walker eventually. From the people I've talked to it sounds like its pretty easy to get in over your head there as some of the trails really get tough. I've got a riding partner who bought his bike around the same time I did so we're probably fairly equal skill-wise but he enjoys the faster open riding versus the tight technical single track. He really enjoyed mattawa. We'll probably head up to walker at some point this summer but it might be nice with someone who knows the area and doesn't mind showing us the easier trails at first.

I met up with a few guys from Thumper Talk and rode Tahuya single track which was fun but super challenging at this stage in my riding. Full lock turns and root climbs were crazy. I wasn't shy and tried everything. I fell on a few things but succeeded more than I thought I would.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

If you need someone to ride Tahuya with let me know, I'm only 30 minutes North. I suck at single track tho

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bought a 3-foot rod of HDMW plastic and cut some sliders from it using only the highest precision machining techniques.

Also finally made the time to finish up my eBike battery. 36v 11Ah pushing a cheap 500w hub motor. I test rode the setup last night in the most poorly organized manner, I'll post more pictures once things are fully set up.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Trying to do the balancer chain. But not having done anything like this before I didn't anticipate the work involved getting rid of a old gasket of uncertain age.

Going to take at least another hour of scraping.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slim Pickens posted:

Also finally made the time to finish up my eBike battery. 36v 11Ah pushing a cheap 500w hub motor. I test rode the setup last night in the most poorly organized manner, I'll post more pictures once things are fully set up.

noice

I love e bikes. I commute every day on one here in Portland and it rules. blasting past all the Low T MAMILs will never be not fun

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

AlexanderCA posted:

Trying to do the balancer chain. But not having done anything like this before I didn't anticipate the work involved getting rid of a old gasket of uncertain age.

Going to take at least another hour of scraping.

Permatex makes a gasket remover paste you can get off the shelf at your local auto parts store. Aircraft paint remover works too. It can save you from gouging the case if you’re using a razor.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 4, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My team at work had to scrape the hardest, most burned-on gasket ever off these huge air compressor heads, it took something like 100 man hours over the course of the week, and each casting was $10000ish, and couldn't be machined back into smoothness, we tried chemicals, all kinds of whamodyne scrapers, nothing beat taking a razor blade and laying the flat of the bevel for the cutting surface on the casting, and ever so carefully slicing tiny pieces of gasket away, we ended up with only a couple minor flaws that didn't go all the way through the seating surface, and we were able to buff them out with Emory cloth.

A year later we had to take the fucker apart again, gaskets slid right out, turned out the assholes before us just ignored maintenance intervals.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Elviscat posted:

nothing beat taking a razor blade and laying the flat of the bevel for the cutting surface on the casting, and ever so carefully slicing tiny pieces of gasket away

This is what I did/meant by scraping yeah.

Off course when I was done and reassembled everything I found a washer lying on the floor. Which after some research turned out to belong on the starter motor clutch. Que opening the entire thing back up again.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 4, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pushing screws/bolts through a sheet of cardboard works pretty well.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Pushing screws/bolts through a sheet of cardboard works pretty well.

Yeah I’ve done this with drawing a box around them and labeling it. Also simply putting bolts back in their place if you can, like when I’d remove fairings I would takem em off and put the bolts back

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Just, like, a really good memory.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Help. I have a problem.

Got a maintainer for all of the batteries. I have been wanting a multi-plug unit for quite some time.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I just ride my bikes so I have never owned nor will ever own a battery tender :D

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

right arm posted:

I just ride my bikes so I have never owned nor will ever own a battery tender :D

Winter in Pennsylvania precludes riding all year long, and unfortunately my current job makes it very difficult to ride as much as I used to but I try to get 2 days a week in. Divided among 4 bikes...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Help. I have a problem.

Got a maintainer for all of the batteries. I have been wanting a multi-plug unit for quite some time.

So what's the problem?
It beats replacing like 5 batteries every year.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So what's the problem?
It beats replacing like 5 batteries every year.

The problem is they keep multiplying!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The problem is they keep multiplying!

You're fine - won't hear any resistance from me. Gotta keep the stable current, you know.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got my 500w ebike finally hooked up and ready to ride!

...and then promptly snapped off both fork lugs like they were Pocky sticks on the first twist of the throttle in the driveway.

Guess I should take a steel rigid fork and torque arms a little more seriously. :downs:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Aw man I really wanted to hear how a FWD bicycle rode. When you say fork lugs do you mean the little arms the axle sits in?!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slim Pickens posted:

Got my 500w ebike finally hooked up and ready to ride!

...and then promptly snapped off both fork lugs like they were Pocky sticks on the first twist of the throttle in the driveway.

Guess I should take a steel rigid fork and torque arms a little more seriously. :downs:

lol that stinks

I rode an AWD plus size mtb not too long ago and it was hilariously fun and incredibly heavy

why on earth would go go FWD though? seems like it'd be a pain

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the tangs on the front snapped right off. Which is weird, because I rode it two nights ago and didn't have any problems.

I chose front-wheel drive because I didn't want to deal with sticking a cog on the back, but now I kind of wish I did just for doing donuts and possibly wheelies.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol I ate poo poo riding on one of portland’s brilliant wooden sidewalks in the rain when I was taking a shortcut through a park on my e bike thanks to it being RWD and me being an idiot :D

wheelies are cake on it and very fun though

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I guess FWD will give you much better regenerative braking performance, but no idea how you'd blend that with the normal brakes.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

It started because I wanted to experiment with electric bikes, this one will go to the wife probably and next one will be over a kw I hope. It was fun learning about building a battery pack, but i need a higher discharge rating so budget batteries aren't the best option.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Hope you learned a lesson about murdercycles, stay away from those suicide machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Still fairly new to moto but I flatted on my rear tire during my last trail ride so I went ahead and ordered a new tube, spoons and a curved lever. I have a background in cycling so the concept isn't new but holy poo poo are moto tires so much more work and less pliable. I watched a few youtube vids and then went at it. I used dish soap as lube and it helped a lot. My rim was pretty gross inside so while the tire was off I have it a good cleaning. I managed to get it back on and both rim locks set and managed not to pinch the tube. Huge success in my book but I also have a new respect for anyone who could repair a tube/tire on the trail.

Slim Pickens posted:

Most bicycles have their weight balanced more over the rear wheel than the front. Seeing as the rear wheel bears most of the weight and provides the torque to move the bike, the frame around the rear wheel is more substantial than the front, the rear wheel usually has more spokes than the front tire to support that weight and torque, and the dropouts are usually thicker/more robust. The front tire probably bears 25-40% of the weight of the bike so the front fork, dropouts and front wheel are less robust. Now you're adding probably double the weight onto those dropouts, generating torque from that wheel and pulling the weight of you and the bike from those dropouts. They were never meant for those kinds of forces/loads.

Clearly, you chose front wheel drive for a reason but I would say there are several reasons most e bikes and motorized 2 wheelers are rear wheel drive. If it was just for shits and giggles to see if it could be done, I get it. I would definitely look for a beefier fork with sturdier dropouts, maybe look into some mountain bike forks (actual mountain bikes, not cheap hybrids or walmart bikes) since they're meant for abuse.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 5, 2019