Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Avulsion posted:

He's been cultivating for about a month and a half (not counting the time acceleration chamber) which tends to freak out anyone who knew him before his summer break started. He's supposed to still be in his hundred day body strengthening regimen before he even starts cultivating seriously.

The story started while classes are in session, and summer break is almost over, so a month and a half seems too short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Megazver posted:

Hmmm. I recall people who've read the Chinese version saying AWE's ending wasn't that great, because allegedly he had to wrap it up in a hurry because of Qidian drama.
AFAIK according to Deathblade (who speaks to Er Gen) this wasn't true, and his current novel is still on Qidian.

I actually ended up liking how AWE stops going on major tangents for the last third or so and just sticks to the main plot, whatever the reason for it was.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 11, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think I dropped it when the intelligent monster Pekinese kills a German Shepherd while the MC and the racist Gweilo caricature just stand around while their dogs fight to the death. Just too much weird cultural dissonance for me.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

I think I dropped it when the intelligent monster Pekinese kills a German Shepherd while the MC and the racist Gweilo caricature just stand around while their dogs fight to the death. Just too much weird cultural dissonance for me.

he doesn't kill it, just scares the poo poo out of it

and that's the teacher that keeps getting owned because shuhang's seniors want to get him out of class for Adventures

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Yinlock posted:

and that's the teacher that keeps getting owned because shuhang's seniors want to get him out of class for Adventures

CCG is so loving good. It's not one of the funnier parts, but I like how Shuhang is dead serious about making sure his parents live as long as possible and stay safe. I feel like that's not something that happens in any cultivation novel, usually because the parents are dead before the novel starts, but also because most protagonists are so self centered. Shuhang, meanwhile, makes time to hang out with his friends still between all the cultivation nonsense.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Log082 posted:

CCG is so loving good. It's not one of the funnier parts, but I like how Shuhang is dead serious about making sure his parents live as long as possible and stay safe. I feel like that's not something that happens in any cultivation novel, usually because the parents are dead before the novel starts, but also because most protagonists are so self centered. Shuhang, meanwhile, makes time to hang out with his friends still between all the cultivation nonsense.

Where's the best place to read through ccg straight through without site hopping?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

Where's the best place to read through ccg straight through without site hopping?

webnovel.com, but you'll either need to spend spirit stones after it goes paid (reg a couple accounts), or :filez:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Log082 posted:

there's also a lot of fun worldbuilding and making GBS threads on standard murder-hobos, like there's buddhist sects that cultivate "virtue" and being obnoxiously evil will have a thousand bald glowing men descend upon you to lead you back to the right path and exorcise all your ghosts

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 12, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Yinlock posted:

CCG does have a few scenes that I thought were missteps in tone, mainly the dog abuse and poor flight instructor's plight later on. I wouldn't call any of it is racist.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Could use WebToEpub on the WuxiaWorld page that comes up when you Google CCG.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 12, 2019

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I've read a couple of good web novels lately, so:

Omae ga Kami wo Koroshitai nara, to Anata wa Itta - Probably the most "Game of Thrones"-y web novel I've read, with lots of different characters trying to outwit each other in various ways. Extremely unusual story, for Narou. I've also reread the prologue chapter like 3 times at different points, noticing new things, so that's probably a positive. It's technically about a Japanese guy who dies and ends up pulled into a fantasy world by some divine being with the mission to "kill the gods", but in practice it's more about his disciple, who's a brilliant young (native) woman. Chapters change narrators very frequently, bouncing between dozens of different characters, as members of the Church (mostly Inquisitors) try to deal with his schemes. Pretty dark, with lots of rape implied, so be warned.

Yogen no Keizaigaku - Japanese postgraduate student dies and is reborn in a fantasy world, where he helps a cute princess deal with her ominous premonitions, by applying every modern concept you can think of, pretty much. This is probably the most hardcore "use of modern knowledge" I've read, with the protagonist chiselling out the science behind magic, and introducing the world to economic developments like the futures market and treasury bonds and whatnot. Surprisingly educational. Not entirely sure it needed an arc on nutrition, though. The protagonist's great plan is to literally found an isekai Singapore, btw.

Both are complete, at around 2000 pages each, although the latter is sporadically getting short after-stories whenever the LN edition has a new volume out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Megazver posted:

CCG does have a few scenes that I thought were missteps in tone, mainly the dog abuse and poor flight instructor's plight later on. I wouldn't call any of it is racist.

If it were written by non-Chinese author, having a pet dog get kidnapped in China by gangsters who want to make him into soup would be pretty racist.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

darkgray posted:

I've read a couple of good web novels lately, so:
Is there an English version of either?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jackard posted:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Jackard posted:

Doesn't seem like it, sorry.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Tunicate posted:

If it were written by non-Chinese author, having a pet dog get kidnapped in China by gangsters who want to make him into cultivation pills would be pretty racist.

probably more accurate in this thread.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Yinlock posted:

there's also a lot of fun worldbuilding and making GBS threads on standard murder-hobos, like there's buddhist sects that cultivate "virtue" and being obnoxiously evil will have a thousand bald glowing men descend upon you to lead you back to the right path and exorcise all your ghosts

I think the best part is seemingly the entire universe pushing him into being exactly the type of cultivator he thinks is lame. To the point shenanigans have him end up bald and in a kashaya. The only sword move he can learn ends up being a Western paladin type deal, which he still jumps on because he's seemingly incapable of finding any other to work with him.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mulva posted:

I think the best part is seemingly the entire universe pushing him into being exactly the type of cultivator he thinks is lame. To the point shenanigans have him end up bald and in a kashaya. The only sword move he can learn ends up being a Western paladin type deal, which he still jumps on because he's seemingly incapable of finding any other to work with him.

That's one of my other favorite CCG blink-and-you'll-miss-it details. Magic (or whatever you want to call it) in CCg isn't just limited to China, like in most cultivation novels I've read, nor is China style cultivation practiced everywhere. Instead, the Western equivalent to cultivators is basically a DnD larp with real magic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

probably more accurate in this thread.

mine wasn't a hypothetical, that happens in ccg

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but somewhat recently someone in the K6BD thread mentioned "Re:Zero" as something both meaningful and cool.
I don't watch much anime and haven't really read web-novels, besides worm and other wildbow's things, and have serious reservations about both kind of works, but i took the plunge and binged the whole anime series over the weekend and become hooked and left wanting for more.
I tried looking up what's next and apparently there are licensed light-novels (not really sure what this conveys related to quality or differences to web-novels) and a bunch of fan-translation in various levels of (in)completeness, which cover sometimes the same material.
So what should my next step be?
Try these light-novels?
Stop here since the anime is the pinnacle of the whole thing (the person seemed to refer the webnovel as being worth it)?
Follow a specific web-novel translation (which one?) ?
Learn japanese as the only way of truly appreciating the work ?
Thanks in advance

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

darkgray posted:

Yogen no Keizaigaku - Japanese postgraduate student dies and is reborn in a fantasy world, where he helps a cute princess deal with her ominous premonitions, by applying every modern concept you can think of, pretty much. This is probably the most hardcore "use of modern knowledge" I've read, with the protagonist chiselling out the science behind magic, and introducing the world to economic developments like the futures market and treasury bonds and whatnot. Surprisingly educational. Not entirely sure it needed an arc on nutrition, though. The protagonist's great plan is to literally found an isekai Singapore, btw.

Both are complete, at around 2000 pages each, although the latter is sporadically getting short after-stories whenever the LN edition has a new volume out.

A modern knowledge isekai that’s both good AND complete, you say?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

blastron posted:

i look forward to you picking it up followed by it's immediate publication

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but somewhat recently someone in the K6BD thread mentioned "Re:Zero" as something both meaningful and cool.
I don't watch much anime and haven't really read web-novels, besides worm and other wildbow's things, and have serious reservations about both kind of works, but i took the plunge and binged the whole anime series over the weekend and become hooked and left wanting for more.
I tried looking up what's next and apparently there are licensed light-novels (not really sure what this conveys related to quality or differences to web-novels) and a bunch of fan-translation in various levels of (in)completeness, which cover sometimes the same material.
So what should my next step be?
Try these light-novels?
Stop here since the anime is the pinnacle of the whole thing (the person seemed to refer the webnovel as being worth it)?
Follow a specific web-novel translation (which one?) ?
Learn japanese as the only way of truly appreciating the work ?
Thanks in advance

Web novels refer to amateur fiction published on various sites, in Re:Zero's case Shousetsuka ni Narou. (The original Japanese version being here.)

Some of these web novels get picked up by publishing houses who put out a print version, usually in a light novel format. These novels might also get manga or drama cd versions, or in rare cases like Re:Zero they'll even get an an anime.

Frequently when making the light novel version, the author will make edits or add scenes that weren't in the original web novel, for a variety of reasons, like requests from the publisher's editors to make the work more marketable, or to clean up lower quality chapters they made early on when they were less skilled, or just to add things to try and get fans of the web novel to buy it.

How much changes depends on the novel. I don't know exactly how much Re:Zero's LN version differs from its WN version, but I seem to remember it adds a lot of side stories from the perspective of other characters?

In any event, the WN version of Re:Zero is divided into six parts, and is still being updated, though it looks like the author has frequently been taking breaks for several months at a time for the last couple years. Fan translations for WNs can be found through Novelupdates.com, which has a page for the Re:Zero WN here. I don't know how the quality, though, and it looks like the translation starts where the anime ended, around the end of part 3.

The LN version is published in English by Yen Press. They've currently put out 9 volumes, which covers to the end of Arc 3, where the anime also ended. Volume 10 comes out next month. There are a total of 19 volumes out in Japanese, and it looks like volume 20 will cover up to the end of part 5.

There's also been another season of the anime announced, though I don't think there's a release date yet.

If you just want a continuation of the story in English right this second your only option is the WN fan translations. I might consider buying the LNs that are out and reading them first, though. They cover the same material as the anime, but I gather there are a number of plot points and "what if" chapters that they cut.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

blastron posted:

we've had Connecticut Yankee for over a century

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

we've had Connecticut Yankee for over a century

i love that book and think every american should read it but its also probably the worst written thing twain ever put out, so good might be a stretch

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

blastron posted:

Yes please!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

quote:

Her skin was as white as snow, and she looked like a person of both Chinese and Caucasian origin. Her exquisite facial features resembled that of an Oriental person, but her build resembled that of a Westerner.

This make me curious: what, in the eyes of the Chinese, makes someone's body shape look like a white person's?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rude boobs and butt.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So I've been informed.

I've done some research into the subject that left me with a strong impression that neither characteristic is alien to the fine fairy maidens of China, but I suppose stereotypes are stereotypes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

atelier morgan posted:

i love that book and think every american should read it but its also probably the worst written thing twain ever put out, so good might be a stretch

The bit on Royal Cats is good.

Mark Twain posted:

Clarence was with me as concerned the revolution, but in a modified way. His idea was a republic, without privileged orders, but with a hereditary royal family at the head of it instead of an elective chief magistrate. He believed that no nation that had ever known the joy of worshiping a royal family could ever be robbed of it and not fade away and die of melancholy. I urged that kings were dangerous. He said, then have cats. He was sure that a royal family of cats would answer every purpose. They would be as useful as any other royal family, they would know as much, they would have the same virtues and the same treacheries, the same disposition to get up shindies with other royal cats, they would be laughably vain and absurd and never know it, they would be wholly inexpensive; finally, they would have as sound a divine right as any other royal house, and "Tom VII., or Tom XI., or Tom XIV. by the grace of God King," would sound as well as it would when applied to the ordinary royal tomcat with tights on. "And as a rule," said he, in his neat modern English, "the character of these cats would be considerably above the character of the average king, and this would be an immense moral advantage to the nation, for the reason that a nation always models its morals after its monarch's. The worship of royalty being founded in unreason, these graceful and harmless cats would easily become as sacred as any other royalties, and indeed more so, because it would presently be noticed that they hanged nobody, beheaded nobody, imprisoned nobody, inflicted no cruelties or injustices of any sort, and so must be worthy of a deeper love and reverence than the customary human king, and would certainly get it.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Thanks for the write-up. I suppose i'll try the light novels for a start.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
In Forge or Destiny sequel news, it isn’t all toot tooting her flute at parties or tomb raiding a abandoned teen make out temple, as Ling Qi has to put on her big girl pants and commit to actions with real geopolitical ramifications when she and her boss get tapped for a mission to lead a platoon to hunt down a company of raiders that sacked a town and which may or may not be a false flag operation by their new allies.

Glorious Opression Mom demands blood and hates failure. Our rivals may or may not have warned us this was going to happen as a taunt or a backdoor attempt at diplomacy. Also the raiding company stole loot meant for us for being a good miniboss. Shits complicated in Kung Fu Mean Girls

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 29, 2019

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Man, the abandoned teen make out temple arc was wonderful.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So apparently RTW just got wrapped in Chinese. The English translation is about 50 chapters behind, so I guess we'll see how it ends soonish. By the accounts I've read the ending feels somewhat hasty and slap-dash. MTL'd final message from the author.

In unrelated(?) news, apparently the government has been cracking down on webnovels for their novels. It's hard to tell what's going on if you don't speak Chinese, but it seems a number of novels has been removed from the internet, and some others got warning for such things as LGBT stuff, religious propaganda in form of writing about churches and, heh, writing about... fights. Again, hard to say what's true and what's not, but this doesn't bode well. Thread I found where people are discussing this.

I just hope this doesn't affect Cultivation Chat Group.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 5, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it'd be nice if this was a crackdown on rapist murderhobo novels but instead it'll probably be shutting down good stories for being too nice to gays

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Megazver posted:

So apparently RTW just got wrapped in Chinese. The English translation is about 50 chapters behind, so I guess we'll see how it ends soonish. By the accounts I've read the ending feels somewhat hasty and slap-dash. MTL'd final message from the author.

In unrelated(?) news, apparently the government has been cracking down on webnovels for their novels. It's hard to tell what's going on if you don't speak Chinese, but it seems a number of novels has been removed from the internet, and some others got warning for such things as LGBT stuff, religious propaganda in form of writing about churches and, heh, writing about... fights. Again, hard to say what's true and what's not, but this doesn't bode well. Thread I found where people are discussing this.

I just hope this doesn't affect Cultivation Chat Group.

Holy hell its the webnovelpocalypse. Well at least the chinese webnovelpocalypse. The only ones i read are Cultivation Chat Group and Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich. Would be really awful to see ELCL go.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
elcl is complete. the translation is slow, is all.

it'd definitely get the axe, though. just about every major character is a corrupt authority figure to some degree.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

elcl is complete. the translation is slow, is all.

it'd definitely get the axe, though. just about every major character is a corrupt authority figure to some degree.

True, i guess other translators could just pick it up if it gets killed. I think there is a sequel series of sorts though and thats prolly still going on.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/etvofluff/status/1131784936401195009

For fellow translators, the crackdown this time is rather big. Points of interest for readers:
1) Nothing sexual beneath the neck, whether daydreams, failed sexy times, or allusions as such.
2)No gov/military corruption, or anything that casts gov in bad light.
3) No danmei. Possible jail time. (That's the gays, I believe)
4) No military related romance due to over-exaggeration.

Topics encouraged:
Lighthearted, slice-of-life novels. Xianxia w/out too much gore. Modern easy reading. Sci-fi (but copyright to be examined in next round of crackdown)

Horror & military not welcome atm. Fictional historical romance, CEO without snu snu, modern, 'torturous' love themes allowed.

Standards to be reinforced through 2021, extends to games, vids, and online communities. Some already arrested. (3/X)

JJWXC has already announced a blackout of new content for 15 days, and many other sites have taken down old content/scrubbing active novels.

So don't be confused if your author's old works suddenly disappeared, or if new content suddenly has a lot less sexy time! (4/X)

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
So... in light of that crackdown, anybody have any recs for good web novels with LGBT themes? (I, personally, prefer sci-fi/fantasy stuff over drama/historical types.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Syenite posted:

So... in light of that crackdown, anybody have any recs for good web novels with LGBT themes? (I, personally, prefer sci-fi/fantasy stuff over drama/historical types.)

Forge of Destiny one of the main side-characters is lesbian. Very understated in the first half because the MC doesn't realize it. Probably my favorite web novel. The version on Royal Road is an edited version, but the original story is still running on Sufficient Velocity forums.

Practical Guide to Evil main character is Bi and mostly sleeps with other women. All-fade-to-black type stuff. One of the male bit characters is gay and this is treated as so normal I almost forgot about it.

The Gods Are Bastards is okay and there's an entire fantasy church/cult that promotes lesbianism as an ideal because one of their early heroes was. They're also militant feminists and make up half the army. It's played half straight and half for laughs (personally I find the comedy aspects both forced and cringeworthy).

Those are all in English and won't be going away anytime soon.

Edit: I Favor the Villianess is all about a girl who gets dropped into a reverse-harem game and decides to pursue the female who is supposed to be her rival instead. Rival is wildly tsundere as you'd expect. I didn't read past the first chapter since it didn't appeal to me but it's reasonably popular so you might like it.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 5, 2019