Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Oh god. This doesn’t look good at aaaaallll....

Gortarius posted:

That update is basically a collection of varying degrees of deception and hot air. This is ridiculous.
Please elaborate! There is a lot in there that seems suuuuuper questionable but you know the current state so much better than me. I will wait to see if you want to go in detail before commenting on this. Unless you want to just get the gently caress away from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

The Ultimate Doge posted:

You wouldn't even consider coming back if Liam gave up all his rights on the project? No ownership, no stake, no authority, just gone and GZ was given the lead?

As GZ mentioned some pages ago, such a thing was discussed and soundly rejected. That ship has sailed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

According to some of Bhroom's replies on Kickstarter, that's news to him...

Edit: that the others might come back, not that he'd give up the rights, I didn't read the quote closely.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Lets say, the talks of a demo or vertical slice is a ”step in the right direction” from talking about finishing the game. Also friends reuniting is great.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

sword_man.gif posted:

so when does this get moved to the star citizen forum like it should have been four years ago

I think there's a solid case for it now as opposed to a week ago. We're firmly in "kickstarter implosion" territory now. Before that this thread was kinda just like sharing ghost stories.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RELEASE THE DEMO.

Hiratio
Sep 19, 2006
i will not allow

quote:

• Bhroom agrees, and says there is no need for conversation or additional design or re-design or changes or reinventing the wheel because these same topics have been talked and documented to death and it just requires someone to have commitment in some direction, and he would like to have input before nearly-functioning parts of the game are scrapped for new ones, which would jeopardize the “GZ is the best chance of finishing the game” part. [ymmv]

• GZ says he’s an idiot and a clown and a liar and a … etc. … and he cannot bear to have a conversation with him again, he essentially needs to gently caress off and die in order for GZ to begin work [dude]

Hey Brian. What does it tell you when strangers can tell that both you and Liam really have no idea what you're talking about? You couldn't even read this thread correctly. Your version of events aren't accurate either.

Neither you or Liam could be reasoned with. You should have never had any authority on this project via design and neither should Liam via control. Yet you think Liam should have control over how the game proceeds going forward when I was unable to continue "working with" him? The options on the table were: Me and Laz take control, or Liam holds on the game with no ability or plan to make the game happen. He's had all this time to make this game happen and failed. But you thought it was a fair compromise when Liam asked me for a design document and road map that he had to approve of? Why would I jump through those hoops for the honor of me and Laz to finish the mess you guys started? I'll repeat: I'm not interested in what that clown has to say.

An offer was even floated of: Me and Laz get 1 year to finish the game. If we don't, Liam gets all control back plus the progress we made. Guess what? That was rejected too.

Do you really think my fued with Liam went from 0 to 100? Me and Liam got along fine for a very long time as you already know because he did push for work to get done. I was not under a spell. It wasn't until learning what this project truly is that I understood work I previously had done was pointless or not needed for this game to move forward. Any work I did was offset by more work added to "keep to the vision". It escalated very quickly because I realize Liam had always been lying to me about having control when I tried to limit this nonsense. It's not hard to understand.

This started falling apart when I told him that I would continue working on the game with Laz, and he could do map tweaks and any writing that he felt like. Do you know what he told me? He has no interest in doing any of that without having control over the direction of the game. I specifically mentioned tons of quests in the game that needed to be finished. I said he could do stuff like the wedding quest, and he responded with "gently caress the wedding quest". He didn't care about getting work done. He just wanted to be the ideas guy and have this game be this mystical vision he had.

Liam is not a realible narrator because he lies. Neither are you because you have been fed second hand information by Liam or largely been absent from the project. So why throw your two cents in on this?

Also man, you're prediction of me isn't very good either. I do have something against you. You abandoned Barkley 1, then Barkley 2, then you didn't go to bat for me when there was a final effort made to try and salvage this game. That's lovely of you. Do I hold bad blood for eternity of this? No. I stopped caring... Back in January! Read the thread better to find out why I posted now. Take some criticism, have some humility, and realize it's way easier for you to "be cool" with me than it is for me to "be cool" with you because you've never made the situation better.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Gortarius posted:

As GZ mentioned some pages ago, such a thing was discussed and soundly rejected. That ship has sailed.

I hear you, and this may be a useless question, but if a bunch of fans mobilized to convince him to step down and give up the rights back to original creators, would it be worth considering coming back

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

holy poo poo

Barkley 2: gently caress the wedding quest

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I can't imagine the devs wanting anything else besides to just have this chapter of their lives end

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Truecon420 posted:

I hear you, and this may be a useless question, but if a bunch of fans mobilized to convince him to step down and give up the rights back to original creators, would it be worth considering coming back

people have moved on, and its absolutely the correct/healthy decision for them

its a pity because we were all looking forward to Barkley 2 and a lot of this behind-the-scenes stuff looks neat af, but its also extremely obvious the "would you come back if...?" hypotheticals are not remotely helpful

e: even from a purely self-interested content-generation perspective you're going to be vastly better off letting the original team participate in online communities normally without a succession of tiresome/delusional "why aren't you spending your time/money torturing yourself trying to get blood from the barkley 2 rock?!?!" questions

LGD fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 5, 2019

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Truecon420 posted:

they answered your question and coming back with "what if i reallllyyy want the game though" is loving dumb dude. barkley 2 isn't happening.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I wish that the well had not been so thoroughly poisoned because it seems like the water might be delicious if we put more digging work in, but there's nobody left that doesn't hate the entire concept :(

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all the behind the scenes posts make me wanna make a game.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Liam needs a reality check. I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh but it's how I feel about it

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

all the behind the scenes posts make me wanna make a game.

you too can alienate your friends and family and become increasingly desperate

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Truecon420 posted:

I can understand people just wanting another goofball game like B1, just something funny and cool and good. That's what they thought they were backing when the KS came around.

But just read all of the posts GZ/Hiratio made and you will get a picture of how truly doomed B2 is.

Hoopz' bloated corpse is face down in a ditch, surrounded by smoldering bridges, bad blood and salt at this point with Dark Draker shedding a single tear in his memory.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Stabbatical posted:

the trick is not to employ your friends and family, or anyone at all for that matter. that way the only person you alienate is the one rear end in a top hat you can't get rid of

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I wish that the well had not been so thoroughly poisoned because it seems like the water might be delicious if we put more digging work in, but there's nobody left that doesn't hate the entire concept :(

hmm a well you say? maybe he should dig. surely there's a way out

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
i said it before but drat this thread fuckin rules

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

how long is the quest to marry a Dark Draker of my very own

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Stabbatical posted:

i meant more the mechanical stuff not the guy loving up project management and not understanding the design doc isn't the holy bible and that you need to playtest to see if something is working.

The White Dragon posted:

the trick is not to employ your friends and family, or anyone at all for that matter. that way the only person you alienate is the one rear end in a top hat you can't get rid of

this guy gets it.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

at least you actually planned and released a game with a reasonable scope though

(I played it, the art style was pretty neat)

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gortarius posted:

Hoopz' bloated corpse is face down in a ditch, surrounded by smoldering bridges, bad blood and salt at this point with Dark Draker shedding a single tear in his memory.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

sword_man.gif posted:

they answered your question and coming back with "what if i reallllyyy want the game though" is loving dumb dude. barkley 2 isn't happening.

Whew ok sorry man

LGD posted:

e: even from a purely self-interested content-generation perspective you're going to be vastly better off letting the original team participate in online communities normally without a succession of tiresome/delusional "why aren't you spending your time/money torturing yourself trying to get blood from the barkley 2 rock?!?!" questions

I was literally just curious because the answer wasn't clear to me, because i am dumb. It seemed that the original plan to get bhroom to give it up failed because bhroom refused for one reason or another, so I was wondering if the answer would be different if instead bhroom were to be convinced by fans to step down. I get that the best thing for everyone involved is to move on

Seems there is consensus that the best thing is asset/content dump

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 5, 2019

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

If nothing else comes out of that kickstarter post I hope we get the demo at least.

I also have to wonder if there is some sort of shambling mess of a game released after however many years, would the former people who worked on the game (for free in many cases) get any compensation at all?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Stabbatical posted:

what do you think

They were intended to be finished in 2014, but scope creep and mismanagement caused the incorporation papers to be abandoned, incomplete...

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
There's a quest Hundley (and me to a small degree) did where at one point you talk to Babby Hubert who convinces you to take his organs and sell them for money. This is the minigame for it that I made:

https://imgur.com/GubVyUA

(How do I embed videos?)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

:pwn:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gortarius posted:

There's a quest Hundley (and me to a small degree) did where at one point you talk to Babby Hubert who convinces you to take his organs and sell them for money. This is the minigame for it that I made:

(How do I embed videos?)

I think just put .gifv at the end

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gortarius posted:

(How do I embed videos?)

what is wrong with you

e:

https://i.imgur.com/GubVyUA.mp4

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this game's trailer gave me a barkley 2 vibe and way more now cuz of that chicken thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulQKwhgl9Gc

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Truecon420 posted:

Yeah it seems like if he realized he had a choice between going down as a villain or completely giving up control and maybe still making some money ultimately, he'd probably choose the latter

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

calm down

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
One of the 5 completed zaubers in the post is "Pozzo's Prison." I wonder what it does

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hiratio posted:

An offer was even floated of: Me and Laz get 1 year to finish the game. If we don't, Liam gets all control back plus the progress we made. Guess what? That was rejected too.
This was gonna be my suggestion. Set a strict timeframe of 6 months to take what exists now and poo poo something out. No new anything, no old design doc, no nothing. If it doesn't exist now it's not getting added (except for some sounds/writing I guess). If you have 3 zaubers the game will have 3 zaubers. If you can create a 95% finished product before then consider adding things in or agreeing to extend development for another 3-6 months. Otherwise, just wrap it in a bowtie and boot it out the door.

The city + sewers + area near the city alone could be a drat game. You guys put so much effort into it. Think of all the indie steam games people love that are $20 for 3-10 hours of content.

Anyhow, sucks you already tried that option.

Heck, from the sounds of it, you could literally cut the entire game, have a city, some sewers with nothing in them, and a shack that barkley lives in west of town. Then keep gun breeding, maybe add a few "machines" to aid in it or produce things at your shack-farm, make sure there's gun breeding progression and nothing more. You'd have a stripped Barkdew Valley, a game I tried to pitch to ToG in 2014. Just need to add growing bballs and scraps for the total package.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 5, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i don't know maybe we can unembed that. maybe it's cool that the 2002 newgrounds flashback has a link in front of it

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sword_man.gif posted:

so when does this get moved to the star citizen forum like it should have been four years ago

This or move it to the drugs forum since the devs seem to have smoked $100,000 worth of weed

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ada posted:

One of the 5 completed zaubers in the post is "Pozzo's Prison." I wonder what it does
it's just gelatinous cube, don't listen to Ondore's lies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Hey, I tried to play that Phucker game but then it said "Sinjuku, GA". It caught me off guard and made me laugh so I figured it peaked there and stopped playing.

sword_man.gif posted:

This thread will live forever or at least until 2023. The promise has been made.

Maybe it could be moved to the byob crew chat forum.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 5, 2019