Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Well you haven't gotten a proper healer yet but at least promoted Dorcas will be able to use staves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Holy heckleberries! That Gilliam is a crime against fashion and nature, combined. o.O;

I love me some FE7, and the Yune randomiser has breathed some fresh air into the old girl, so I figure I might as well record one of my runs. So I booted up a new random run and, welp, I have learned why Lyn should never be a magical girl...

I'm notoriously bad at screenshot LPs, so I'll just be doing vids instead. Chapter by chapter vids, at that. Because why not, right? Join me on a magical adventure...

Updates

Prologue: Trololololyn
Chapter 01: Thief of Hearts
Chapter 02: Reality Shift
Chapter 03: A Use for Mani Katti?!
Chapter 04: My Most Hated

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 19, 2019

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I propose that Vilk put all the Boots on Nino. Let's see how far you can get one unit moving by the end of the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

silversatyr posted:

Holy heckleberries! That Gilliam is a crime against fashion and nature, combined. o.O;

I love me some FE7, and the Yune randomiser has breathed some fresh air into the old girl, so I figure I might as well record one of my runs. So I booted up a new random run and, welp, I have learned why Lyn should never be a magical girl...

I'm notoriously bad at screenshot LPs, so I'll just be doing vids instead. Chapter by chapter vids, at that. Because why not, right? Join me on a magical adventure...

Updates

Chapter 1: Trololololyn

(Not sure if I should add the videos to the post itself or just link like I have instead.)

Welp, at least you can buy new tomes early on and didn't roll a dark mage with those stats? If Kent and sain are that bad you're in trouble

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Hahahah that Sain as Canas is fantastic.

Quite, yes! The fact that he's a pega-pony princess makes it even better.

Sorites posted:

I propose that Vilk put all the Boots on Nino. Let's see how far you can get one unit moving by the end of the game.

That wouldn't be possible since I've already given one pair to Heath. Maybe I should just keep doing that...

That Lyn vs Batta fight :allears:

I'd have started rng abusing that the moment he healed back to full, not gonna lie.

I hope your Legault turns out better than mine, he looks good as an Eliwood.

(Also I'd keep linking videos because once you have more chapters lined up, it's neater than having a row of embeds, or a row of unlabelled urls for people who have embeds turned off.)

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

vilkacis posted:

That wouldn't be possible since I've already given one pair to Heath. Maybe I should just keep doing that...

What's your Heath again? Because almost any class is hilarious with way too much movement, but some are even better than usual.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sorites posted:

What's your Heath again? Because almost any class is hilarious with way too much movement, but some are even better than usual.

He's the four movement bard.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Sorites posted:

I once cheated in a few pairs of Boots at the beginning of Sacred Stones because something inside of me told me that Gilliam is absolutely the kind of person who would train and train and train until he could sprint across the battlefield in full armor and carrying 5 spears and dammit, I was to be the Chosen One who would make "Gotta Go Fast Gilly" (as he's known to his friends) happen.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
That sure is a radioactive pegasus :stare:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

:laffo: The guy going "terrible, terrible, I tell you" and then giving you a hammer got a good laugh out of me.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ok wow how many Hammers has the game given you at this point? Is it enough to outfit all 7 of your axes with them?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

something inside of me told me that Gilliam is absolutely the kind of person who would train and train and train until he could sprint across the battlefield in full armor and carrying 5 spears

Something inside you wasn't lying. He absolutely would.

theshim posted:

That sure is a radioactive pegasus :stare:

This pegasus is all rad, no ioactive. :c00lbutt:

Minus Green posted:

:laffo: The guy going "terrible, terrible, I tell you" and then giving you a hammer got a good laugh out of me.

FPzero posted:

ok wow how many Hammers has the game given you at this point? Is it enough to outfit all 7 of your axes with them?

I have legit been given so many hammers that I've started to sell them off and forgotten just how many there's been.

And the worst part is I still don't have even a single sickle! :ussr:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So I got to 5x in my run.

-Ephraim is a spider with a Sharp Claw only, so he's weighed down to 3 effective speed. But he also has Pursuit and that gives him an AS+2 when attacked so maybe it'll work out? His growths are gigantic too--the only growth under 30% is Res at 20. Everything else is between 30 and 75.
-Both Kyle and Forde have been rolled into Eirika Lords. Both of them have Iron Swords only. I haven't mentioned how bad the weaponry is in my run have I? Iron Swords have 3 Mt and 73 hit. Basically every single Iron and Steel weapon is under 70 hit and weak. Bows are the exception to the might rule, and Iron Lances are the Hit exception with 99 hit. Everyone hits with melee like wet paper. Kyle has Aether and the same negate seal skills all Eirika Lords have. Growths are bad, with strength being his best at 50%, and everything else aside from HP and Skill being 25% or lower.
-Forde has something called Fortress Defense. It gives him +5 Def, but -3 Str/Mag permanently. He now has functionally 2 strength, with a 3 Mt weapon. and only a 30% strength growth. Benched benched benched.
-Of course, Orson would be the guy that rolled everything good. He spawned as a promoted(?) Recruit with 35 HP, 14 strength, 13 defense, good skill and speed and res, and really respectable growths. His skills are Lucky Seven (+20 Hit/Avoid until Turn 7), Crit +15, Vantage, and Aether. I *wish* he was permanent. He got an iron lance and javelin.

Notice a problem? No keys, no chest keys, no healing items, no healer. To get through 5x. There's one vulnerary and one pure water near the boss. Most of the enemies have been re-rolled into Mages, and Anima magic is like the best weapon to attack with in the run. I think I'm gonna have to just use the code to skip this chapter because there's no reasonable way I'm getting through this without healing items. I'll lose through pure attrition.

---
Oh I guess I'll mention the other units I got between the last big post I made and now.
-Lute came as an archer, which is awesome because Iron Bows have like 9 Mt, 90 Hit, and she has some fantastic growths. She also got the skill Point Blank, which allows archers to attack at 1-range, and I gave her a random skill scroll because she actually ended up with two copies of Point Blank. She got...I can't remember the name but it gives her +4 Def and Speed whenever she's attacked. So I can basically send her in to fight anything from range, then when they attack her back she shrugs off the hit and doubles. She's going to be very good.
-Natasha got rolled into the Priest class so basically nothing changed. I don't really care, at least I have a healer now. And with Seth's weird Grisly Wound bug seemingly hurting all my units at random for no reason, being able to keep healing is very good.
-Joshua is a Bonewalker. Nothing spectacular about him, but he can use two weapon types.

-I leveled everyone I used in chapter 5 up to Level 7, except Franz who isn't allowed to use the arena as a spider because he "can't fight" says that game. I think the arena master is just scared of him.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love that even in Randomizers Joshua is, at absolute worst, usable. I've never seen a Joshua get benched. Must be the hat. It's the Freya-effect.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Funny you should mention 5x, because...

07: One Man Army

I honestly was going to skip this chapter, but Ephraim's inventory changing after the first reset was enough to get me over the initial hurdles of it.

It's kind of funny that Orson ended up being good for both of us, and that Forde ended up being so awful for us both. In hindsight, I probably wouldn't have complained as much about Orson's stats if he ended up as a General or something, because then I could almost expect stats like that (other than his strength). It's a shame he happened to have the best growths and really good skills, though :(

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 6, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

That 5x could have been worse -- you could have had siege tome assholes around!

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I love the idea of Orson enthusiastically trapping himself in that treasure room and everyone abandoning him.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Zurai posted:

That 5x could have been worse -- you could have had siege tome assholes around!

Well... I almost did. Thanks to the inventory randomization, the Pupil in the throne room had Bolting instead of Fire on the first run, so even if I had made it past that in the first run, I'd probably have lost someone to Bolting.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Your Ephraim is honestly really nifty (if frighteningly fragile) and your Kyle is serviceable. I can't think of any universe where you'd want to use that Forde though.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

quote:

:psypop:

That's 8mt and 8hit up on Vanilla. Holy poo poo.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Your Ephraim is honestly really nifty (if frighteningly fragile) and your Kyle is serviceable. I can't think of any universe where you'd want to use that Forde though.

The only problem I really have with Kyle is the fact that Life and Death does absolutely nothing for him until promotion beyond making him take more damage. Once he does promote, though... :unsmigghh:

Faillen Angel posted:

:psypop:

That's 8mt and 8hit up on Vanilla. Holy poo poo.

Yep! I didn't show their stat screens, but the Baels all had really low strength, but they still had enough might to one-shot the whole party sans Orson even if they had 0 strength. The Sharp Claw having stats like that made me seriously consider using this update as a demo of the Konami code, but maybe another opportunity will arise.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Due to how much better his stats are, Kyle taking +10 damage on everything vs Forde means that they have roughly equal durability still. It's kind of ???.

I got the Yune randomizer because this poo poo looks like a lark, but I sort of find myself just staring at the options screen for a while. Anyone have any recommendations with this?

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Hey, y'all! My name is Faillen Angel (or Kokoriko, but I hadn't decided on that until after I made this account), and I've noticed a distinct lack of FE6 in this thread.

My first response was: Good.

My second response, though, was less fortunate.

Let's change that, shall we?

Some notes, to begin with:

-I've never beaten FE6! For various reasons. VBA doesn't like FE6 for one thing, eating my saves frustratingly often. Plus, I'd often randomize it with frustrating results, like Fae Manakete bosses early on. Fun fact! Fae Manaketes aren't weak to dragonslaying weapons.

-The randomization settings are more for convenience, since FE6's weapon stats are frustrating in vanilla. 55 hit Steel Lances? Puhl-ease. Similarly, I chose to not randomize effects, since I like to know what things are up-front.

-With that said, growths will be noted. I will take suggestions for who to use, but sanity may prevail if things get intolerable.

Chapter 1: The one WITHOUT Roy!
Chapter 2: That didn't last long.
Chapter 3: The one without Hector! Oh, wait...:smith:
Chapter 4: The game takes it easy.
Chapters 5 and 6: things get weird in this one
Chapter 7: The one with the Arena.
Chapter 8: I may have been intoxicated for this one.
Chapter 8.5: The one where Sue goes mad with power.
Chapter 9: Did you know Horseslayers are not effective against pegasi or nomads?
Chapter 10: The True Hero Appears.
Chapter 11: Magic-using Dancers? It's more likely than you think.
Chapters 12 and 12x: Did someone say Axe?
Chapter 13: Goodbye Balance, it's been nice.
Chapters 14 and 14x: The Desert of NICE

Faillen Angel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 13, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Faillen Angel posted:

Hey, y'all! My name is Faillen Angel (or Kokoriko, but I hadn't decided on that until after I made this account), and I've noticed a distinct lack of FE6 in this thread.

My first response was: Good.

My second response, though, was less fortunate.

Let's change that, shall we?

Some notes, to begin with:

-I've never beaten FE6! For various reasons. VBA doesn't like FE6 for one thing, eating my saves frustratingly often. Plus, I'd often randomize it with frustrating results, like Fae Manakete bosses early on. Fun fact! Fae Manaketes aren't weak to dragonslaying weapons.

-The randomization settings are more for convenience, since FE6's weapon stats are frustrating in vanilla. 55 hit Steel Lances? Puhl-ease. Similarly, I chose to not randomize effects, since I like to know what things are up-front.

-With that said, growths will be noted. I will take suggestions for who to use, but sanity may prevail if things get intolerable.

Chapter 1: The one WITHOUT Roy!

This is already going great places.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I booted up the FE7 Yune and I think I got some good results

I like this Lyn alot. Though only 30 uses on a Flux is slightly concerning

My Kent (or Sain, I duuno) is jacked and much prettier. And can use the Mani Katti. Great.

The other Cav is now Bard Heath. Stats don't really matter.

Florina and Will. Lucius as a Troub checks out, just not that Mag stat. Ninowood is cool

All the 4 mov units are pretty lame on the whole. How do you figure out the growth rates?

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 6, 2019

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
You can either open the rom with a program such as FEBuilderGBA or Nightmare, or, if you saved a changelog, look at that.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh my! Forde being disappointing! And here I thought this was a randomizer.

Orson's lightsaber looks pretty neat. And those cav palettes are surprisingly nice!

Command Mercy could be really useful.

Well I mean you basically have Roy.

Use Treck :colbert:

(Use actual Roy, too, if you get him.)

Nomad Yoder and the tiniest Juno :allears: That could be fun.

e: but please size up the images because they are tiny. You can do them all at once with irfanview, file->batch conversion, set output format to png, check the "use advanced options" box, hit Advanced, then set to 200% under resize, and uncheck the "Use resample function" box below.

I am so jealous of that Isadora. So jealous.

Keldulas posted:

I got the Yune randomizer because this poo poo looks like a lark, but I sort of find myself just staring at the options screen for a while. Anyone have any recommendations with this?

Just use the default values if you don't have anything special in mind. I would recommend turning on the random weapon effects because they are Hilarious (and iirc the latest Yune actually tells you what weapons do in the descriptions) and don't set minimum move to less than 4. Turning off randomization for thieves guarantees you'll get them when the game wants you to have them, which can reduce frustration.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 6, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

vilkacis posted:

e: but please size up the images because they are tiny. You can do them all at once with irfanview, file->batch conversion, set output format to png, check the "use advanced options" box, hit Advanced, then set to 200% under resize, and uncheck the "Use resample function" box below.

I'm seconding this. I tried reading the update on phone and I nearly can't see the images. I'm super interested in following this though, now we have all GBA games! And PoR!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I love that even in Randomizers Joshua is, at absolute worst, usable. I've never seen a Joshua get benched. Must be the hat. It's the Freya-effect.

my joshua is a revenant with 48 hp and no stat higher than 2

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

GeneX posted:

my joshua is a revenant with 48 hp and no stat higher than 2

But what about HP? :v:

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

FoolyCharged posted:

Welp, at least you can buy new tomes early on and didn't roll a dark mage with those stats? If Kent and sain are that bad you're in trouble

That will be useful, yeah! XD

As you'll see, Kent and Sain's replacements are... okay?

vilkacis posted:

That Lyn vs Batta fight :allears:

I'd have started rng abusing that the moment he healed back to full, not gonna lie.

I hope your Legault turns out better than mine, he looks good as an Eliwood.

(Also I'd keep linking videos because once you have more chapters lined up, it's neater than having a row of embeds, or a row of unlabelled urls for people who have embeds turned off.)

I'm hoping I never run into a fight like that again, but considering my next two characters, well... XD

I just hope we can make it to Legault before I'm 40.

(and yeah, good point. links it is!)

Speaking of:

Chapter 1: The Thief of Hearts

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:allears:

Also, more evidence that if you don't have purple hair and can't fly, Lyn isn't interested.

Oh, and weapons can't be stolen, so you don't need to worry about that. Vulneraries, promotion items, statboosters, those are fair game, but weapons and staves are not in the GBA games.

Nice Lucius!

And here's my update

22: I Ship It

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm going to have to give up on my run. All my units are constantly taking 20% of their max hp in damage when they attack, even if Seth isn't deployed. I tried to start 5x only for Ephraim and Orson to take damage for no reason, despite defeating units in one hit. Something is horribly wrong with the Grisly Wound skill and I can't sit here and try to mitigate it's effects for the whole run.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Can't you just remove the skill? Or does it keep happening even then?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Oh my, that 3 move Troub. jeez that kinda sucks.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

vilkacis posted:

Can't you just remove the skill? Or does it keep happening even then?

It's a personal skill, so you can't use Amnesia Scrolls on them. If I could I would have by now.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

I...what?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Armorslayer has 1-2 range, iirc. Not sure what spell animation that is that it's using, though.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It looks like Elfire to me.

I got inspired to try it out, and now here comes Pegasus Girl Oswin (aka Lyndis)

Pretty good, overall, but 4 move with 11 HP is going to be painful on a plot character....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'd like to see you move faster with Oswin on your back :colbert: