Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Liquid Communism posted:

At this point I've gotten to where if I hear a Paladin's player make any riff on 'Deus Vult' I'm just done.

One of my favorite D&D characters was a "Good Before Lawful" paladin I played who systematically killed his way through the hierarchy of his own church who were killing anyone that was "insufficiently human" in order to keep knowledge of the return of magic hidden from the general public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It's a shame Lawful Good is so hard for some people to conceptualize/roleplay.

A great example I've given players before is Carrot Ironfoundersson from the Discworld series. He's extremely devoted to the law, but he's also extremely caring and would avoid a fight at absolutely all cost. When he is forced to fight, he uses just as much force as he needs to solve the problem, never more. Paladins even rely on charisma, and Captain Carrot exudes so much of the stuff that he's able to diplomatically solve almost any problem. The fact that he's 6 feet tall and looks like Liam Neeson certainly help things

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 5, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Carrot is great. However, I'd suggest good ol' Sam Vimes as the true Lawful Good paragon of Ankh-Morpork. Vimes articulates 'lawful' as a means towards 'good' and 'good' as the only goal of 'lawful.' He's also someone with really underhanded instincts, so a Vimes Paladin trying very hard to not Fall is a great image.

The only problem is that he 100% would never choose to be a Paladin.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
paladins but as UA avatars with exclusively unaware avatars

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Vimes would 100% become a Palidin in a fit of self-destructive spite.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Vimes would become a Paladin specifically because some uppity god told him he wasn't allowed to.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I just googled "Sam vimes alignment" to see if any other nerds thought about it, and hilariously enough the 3rd or 4th result is a 1d4chan article about avoiding Lawful Stupid.

1d4chan posted:

Required Reading: Discworld by Terry Pratchett, in particular anything having to do with the Witches of Lancre or the Ankh Morpork City Watch, especially Sam Vimes and Carrot Ironfoundersson. Carrot might not be very savvy when it comes to subtlety, but he is very much a good man, if a bit odd and literal at times. Some folks would argue that Vimes is Chaotic Good rather than Lawful Good, but fighting over alignments is for the alignment page -- the point is that he and Carrot are decidedly not Lawful Stupid (and it's heavily implied that Carrot's 'dumb innocence' might just be a ploy to make people underestimate him).

I definitely think he's more Lawful Good. I don't really remember him ever breaking the law or even going against Vetinaris orders, but then again I've only read up to Jingo.

thespaceinvader posted:

Vimes would become a Paladin specifically because some uppity god told him he wasn't allowed to.

Haystack posted:

Vimes would 100% become a Palidin in a fit of self-destructive spite.

Extremely accurate posts

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 5, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

PinheadSlim posted:

I definitely think he's more Lawful Good. I don't really remember him ever breaking the law or even going against Vetinaris orders, but then again I've only read up to Jingo.

You really want to read Night Watch, at least.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Vimes is definitely LG, he's pretty much the epitome of LG played right, as opposed to Carrot who whilst not Lawful Stupid, definitely tends in that direction a lot, especially in his earlier appearances.

Vimes is all about Good Is Not Nice, and the law of morality not necessarily lining up with the law of the land, especially when it applies to the poor and dispossessed.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

especially when it applies to the poor and dispossessed.

The orphans/widows pension fund. Every time it gets brought up I lose it. Real life is too good for someone like Vimes, he could only exist in fantasy. I may have a crush on him, lol.

Mors Rattus posted:

You really want to read Night Watch, at least.

Absolutely, I'm working up to it. I want to read a few more before I get to it, though. I know the reading order is totally optional but I'd like to read a few more specific books before I dive into it.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Vimes is definitely LG, he's pretty much the epitome of LG played right, as opposed to Carrot who whilst not Lawful Stupid, definitely tends in that direction a lot, especially in his earlier appearances.

Vimes is all about Good Is Not Nice, and the law of morality not necessarily lining up with the law of the land, especially when it applies to the poor and dispossessed.

Vimes also understands that rules lawyering to get the right outcome is neither bad nor unlawful. He also knows when it's better to follow the spirit or letter of the law.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Alignments have to be considered in the context of the situation. The law in question is "Lord Vetinari's regime," and in that context Vimes obviously considers Vetinari his rightful boss.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Liquid Communism posted:

At this point I've gotten to where if I hear a Paladin's player make any riff on 'Deus Vult' I'm just done.

PinheadSlim posted:

The orphans/widows pension fund. Every time it gets brought up I lose it. Real life is too good for someone like Vimes, he could only exist in fantasy. I may have a crush on him, lol.

I often toyed with the idea of making it so that all good-aligned religions in my homebrew games have some form of mandatory charity system, its level of formalness depending on said religion's law-chaos axis. It then becomes an obligation to get one's Cleric spells/class features rather than something you can choose whether or not to do as an adventurer. Granted, this would be for games like 5e where money is no object and not a prerequisite for an effective PC build.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

One of my favorite D&D characters was a "Good Before Lawful" paladin I played who systematically killed his way through the hierarchy of his own church who were killing anyone that was "insufficiently human" in order to keep knowledge of the return of magic hidden from the general public.
If you aren't good before lawful you're not good at all, really.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The alignment chart is kinda bad for exactly this sort of reason. I'd say both Carrot and Vimes are Lawful Good but Carrot is an emphasis on the Lawful and Vimes on the Good.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Clearly, what we need are finer gradations of alignment. In this essay, I will

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
but what would vimes be in ars magica

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Impermanent posted:

a dude in armor with a sword and a bell

which is enough for most problems

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Impermanent posted:

Well VI is vim and ME is mentem, so he's a power-mind. And the "s" makes it plural. He's a big brain genius is what he is.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Impermanent posted:

A Companion.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PinheadSlim posted:

It's a shame Lawful Good is so hard for some people to conceptualize/roleplay.

It's not so much that any alignment is hard to conceptualize/roleplay as it is that alignment is loving stupid and bears no relationship to how people, cultures, or allegiances actually work.

It was invented by a brokebrain libertarian whose idea of lawful good actually was pretty close to the negative example someone gave earlier, and has persisted as a mechanic only out of sheer momentum.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

It sucks to see WotC's D&D side of things be so bad at this stuff because WotC's MtG department (entirely different people) are probably the best mainstream gaming company for this kind of thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not so much that any alignment is hard to conceptualize/roleplay as it is that alignment is loving stupid and bears no relationship to how people, cultures, or allegiances actually work.

It was invented by a brokebrain libertarian whose idea of lawful good actually was pretty close to the negative example someone gave earlier, and has persisted as a mechanic only out of sheer momentum.
I would legitimately enjoy a campaign that presented a bunch of moral and philosophical problems to some approximately paladin/cleric-adjacent folks in which they had to reconcile, challenge, and ultimately return to their values, changed in emphasis perhaps but not just "fall bait."

Unfortunately that stuff doesn't move units. Perhaps if they had skulls on their armor?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Zurui posted:

http://walkingmind.evilhat.com/2019/05/11/capitalizing-on-alignment/

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

It sucks to see WotC's D&D side of things be so bad at this stuff because WotC's MtG department (entirely different people) are probably the best mainstream gaming company for this kind of thing.
If only they could make those quality characters the story focus instead of their store brand Avengers team and goblin-faced dragon.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The ideal Lawful Good archetype, if you want to even use boxes like alignment, is Captain America. A lawful good will place what is right above the system. While someone who places the system above what is right is lawful neutral.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Fanfiction alert, but there's a fun little story someone wrote a while ago where Sam Vimes becomes, quite against his will, the God of Coppers. https://archiveofourown.org/works/244534

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kingcom posted:

The ideal Lawful Good archetype, if you want to even use boxes like alignment, is Captain America. A lawful good will place what is right above the system. While someone who places the system above what is right is lawful neutral.
At best.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

thespaceinvader posted:

Vimes specifically is a study of a lawful good character in a neutral evil (at best) society. He spends most of his adult life trying to drink himself to death to try and escape all the injustice he can't prevent.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Sweet. Now there are 63 alignments.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

kingcom posted:

The ideal Lawful Good archetype, if you want to even use boxes like alignment, is Captain America.
Please don't get me started on how Disney took a character who for most of his history was essentially a progressive New Deal Democrat and made him into a cuckoo libertarian.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 13, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Liquid Communism posted:

Vimes specifically is a study of a lawful good character in a neutral evil (at best) society. He spends most of his adult life trying to drink himself to death to try and escape all the injustice he can't prevent.

Post-Carrot, Vimes is a study of a character who has decided that maybe he can win some of those fights, and has dug in for a war. And he has, consistently, won them. I like Vimes.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Liquid Communism posted:

https://twitter.com/dms_guild/status/1136026879377330177

:psyduck:

Yes, that is definitely what 'the LGBTQ+ community' always wanted. A class based on straight 'allies'. Not representation.

Okay, sure, I guess if you want to support this but why not one among many other things? You're failing the very basic tenants of this dang splat:

quote:

Tenets of Support

Educate yourself. Understand others. Challenge your assumptions, don’t judge, and take steps to educate yourself.

Listen. Listen to what others have to say, and make sure that your allies are safe, well, and happy. Reflect on their experiences and remember that they are different to your own.

Challenge intolerance. Be loud, visible, and proud to stand up for others. Set a standard of behav-iour, and make it clear you won’t tolerate intoler-ance.

Influence others. Use the platforms and influence you have to amplify the voices of your friends and allies.

Be an ally to all. Your allies have lots of different elements to their identities, and suffer multiple levels of discrimination. Listen, learn, and sup-port them in all their aspects.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Joe Slowboat posted:

Post-Carrot, Vimes is a study of a character who has decided that maybe he can win some of those fights, and has dug in for a war. And he has, consistently, won them. I like Vimes.

I admire Vimes. He knows, deep down in his cardboard soles, that it would be so easy to be the bad guy and nobody else would blame him. Every day, he gets up, stares himself in the face, and says 'gently caress that', because the one person who would is looking back at him.

quote:

“Beating people up in little rooms…he knew where that led. And if you did it for a good reason, you’d do it for a bad one. You couldn’t say “we’re the good guys” and do bad-guy things.”

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

kingcom posted:

A lawful good will place what is right above the system. While someone who places the system above what is right is lawful neutral.

Okay but then what is Chaotic Good???????

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Zurui posted:

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Using the system to get at your goals is Lawful, even if you twist it so that it fits your Good. Chaotic Good is the vigilante, not the cop

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Ironman.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Shadow the Hedgehog, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
All alignment arguments can be settled by simply adopting the alignment system from the Freebase LARP ruleset