Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mistaya posted:

I mean the answer is literally "play a mage support and 1v2 the lane" if you're that much better than them. I use flex queue for learning new champions so it's toilet bowl mid silver and when someone bans my champ I'm learning I pick Neeko and destroy their botlane hard enough that I'm getting solo kills my ADC doesn't even get assists for because the idiot is playing way too far back and is too busy trying not to drop CS to attempt to help.
Is flex queue better than norms for learning new champs? Frankly, I’m not going to play more than one game against humans in a new champ before going ranked, but maybe flex is better than normals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I've decided to start making some quick videos about bot lane concepts whenever they pop up in a game I'm playing- let me know of things you want to see covered!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqWKAQmUBYw

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Mic is really really quiet, just as a note

That aside though, I would love to see something on freezing maybe? Or possibly stacking caster creep damage on opponents. I've noticed it makes a difference in close fights but I don't fully grasp all the nuances of how good or bad it is to shove an opponent to their tower and keep em there if me and the support have the gank paths properly warded.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

gvibes posted:

Is flex queue better than norms for learning new champs? Frankly, I’m not going to play more than one game against humans in a new champ before going ranked, but maybe flex is better than normals.

Can be, but you'll still get people that are mad. The best way to learn a new champ is to not only try them out, but try to find someone that's consistently high elo to go over the mechanics with you, explain matchups, whether you should be focusing on pushing in the lane to roam so you don't miss out on much cs and increase map pressure, etc. Flex is a pretty good place compared to normals, the main pain is running into a three man group that has important roles covered and they all suck but apart from your college team/group of serious people that love it, most don't give a poo poo in my experience.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

kingcobweb posted:

I've decided to start making some quick videos about bot lane concepts whenever they pop up in a game I'm playing- let me know of things you want to see covered!

The mic is super quiet, but it's helpful. Can you do one on positioning? I keep getting caught up in creep waves as ADC and can't capitalize on opportunities that should be kills

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

For me personally Flex is great to learn new champions because people take it more seriously than norms so they're actually trying and the matchmaking is more fair, but it's also much lower elo than my SoloQueue so the games are against people who won't punish my mistakes as hard. Gives a bit of a cushion for learning. I usually rank 7 a champ in Flex and then graduate it to SoloQueue and by then I know how to play it properly for my actual rank. I also go solo in Flex mostly and I don't care at all if I lose those games because they are strictly training grounds, so I don't tilt and I don't care if I get a stupid drunk 3-man bro squad who all go 0-6 by 10 mins. They're irrelevant to me learning my champ.

Like, don't use flex as a training ground if you care about climbing in it. Also flex is generally a worse queue for a number of reasons, it's still better than norms but like, don't expect much.

kingcobweb posted:

This is great.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 5, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I mentioned it before, but I really wish Nexus Blitz had been made a permanent mode. I thought it was a fantastic platform for learning a new champ, since you got a vastly accelerated sample of laning phase into teamfights, which gave you a good initial feel for a champion.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
How do you play Malazahar in lane (effectively)?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Like every other non mobile mid mage. Farm your rear end off till 6 and gank everything.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

remember that both q and r refresh visions, they can net you a ton of extra damage if they're spaced out so visions runs close to full duration each time

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hey Janna enthusiasts, now's your chance: Riot comically overbuffed her again, and W > E max is sitting at a 56% winrate.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vermain posted:

Hey Janna enthusiasts, now's your chance: Riot comically overbuffed her again, and W > E max is sitting at a 56% winrate.

This is getting reliable.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

CYBEReris posted:

remember that both q and r refresh visions, they can net you a ton of extra damage if they're spaced out so visions runs close to full duration each time

I feel like in the first few levels E does such little damage I have to pre-emptively auto attack to make sure I get last hits. Using E->W is far better, but still really mana intensive to rely on for farm (assuming opponent doesn't shut down the crabs).

I guess my question is that if I have to wind up just auto attacking anyways, should I be using E-> W to trade and save Q for last hitting hard to reach minions / defensive use?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Erdricks posted:

How do you play Malazahar in lane (effectively)?

take E at level 1. auto each of the melee minions until they are low and then E one of them, getting E refreshes as each dies.

lvl 2 take W. from now until you get a mana item your goal is to hard push the lane as efficiently as possible. this means avoiding poke and using your E then W when the other laners wave clear is on cooldown (for instance, against Ahri, as soon as she uses Q you want to E then W to push as much as possible).

once you get the hang of how to push the wave efficiently against the other laner, you can look for roam timings or help your jungler. and of course, once you have R, your lane is usually a free kill with your jungle if you let it push into you.

I really like a corrupting pot start into dark seal and ludens, then rylais and liandrys.

in mid game and beyond your goal should be to identify the biggest threat on the other team and neutralize them in every teamfight. rylais makes this much, much easier.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Vermain posted:

Janna is super underrated and I love her mobility

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

CYBEReris posted:

wtf I have hundreds of Malzahar games and didn't know this.

I would imagine this is extra true with Doran's not being great rn, but mana crystal is a cute Malz start. It gives you as much mana as a ring because the refund on E scales with max mana and gets you a way faster Lost Chapter.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's funny because the way they worded the Janna patch notes it was like they wanted to take her down a peg from her poke playstyle... by reducing the damage a tiny fraction while improving the cooldown on W and having her skills improve E's cooldown.

Not only is she more annoying more often, but you can't even keep track of when her next shield cooldown is coming up because she can just spam her skills or cyclone your teammates and have it back up right away with 20% CD per skill hit.
Does anyone know if Janna's items effect's her E cooldown offhand?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 5, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
lol I just played janna in ranked for the first time in ages and she's dumb as poo poo. She never did this much damage pre-rework, this is gross

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Speaking of insanely good supports, it'd be remiss of me to not mention that support Lux is now one of the best supports in the game and is starting to see consistent professional play. You can go Aery into "safe" lanes that don't have a lot of early damage/engage for the extra poke, or go Aftershock into heavy engage lanes or burst lanes like Braum/Lucian. Note that Shield Bash is comically strong on Lux and her lane partner, since both of W's swings count as unique shields, allowing you to proc Shield Bash twice when under fire. For items, Luden's works well if you're snowballing or are in low MMR and want to carry, while Grail + Ardent (or Ardent + Grail) are good in even lane states or if you trust your AD. You can go E -> Q -> W if you want to try and carry, though the preferred setup I've seen is 3 points into E for laning phase and then maxing W after.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 5, 2019

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

On the topic of supports, I've been maining Nami and it's a lot of fun clowning on adcs early with my wave in my silver elo, but are there any good guides/streamers for her? I know the main thing is getting better at landing my bubble but I'm wondering what else I can do to keep climbing?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

On the topic of supports, I've been maining Nami and it's a lot of fun clowning on adcs early with my wave in my silver elo, but are there any good guides/streamers for her? I know the main thing is getting better at landing my bubble but I'm wondering what else I can do to keep climbing?

I'm by no means an expert on any champ but one change I made on Nami that I had been overlooking was to use your E on yourself instead of on the carry that way you can reliably proc the slow with an auto-attack and then land a bubble.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

turn smartcast on W and E if you havent already, always use E on yourself unless someone else is in a more advantageous position (until you get ardent, anyway, in which case its one of your two vectors of using it assuming you arent doing a wrong rune build) on that topic if youre using it on different people, use E before the heal so aery shield spreads ardent

people are animals and the place you expect them to go is where they will go 85% of the time so dont juke yourself with bubble or wave

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Hi guys! It's super lategame and one of our teammates got picked off and other ally is far off. So instead of backing off and waiting for him to respawn, we go in 3v5 because we are smart. Oops we died and now they are going for nexus, who could have foreseen these turn of events?

I mean, I get it. I don't play perfect at all. I loving suck. But man some people have 0 sense of risk/reward assessment. Keep seeing people go into situations with incredibly slim chances of success and even slimmer chance of kill conversion (making it do more than increase teams kill score). It's like all my game knowledge gets nullified because it doesn't matter if I know its loving stupid if they don't. During same game got flamed for not being a good enough frontliner as Renekton...

Is so bad I am considering change from Renekton to Nasus. Because even if I am 14/3/11 they will just never ever ever make any use of the power spike.

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 5, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

saltylopez posted:

I'm by no means an expert on any champ but one change I made on Nami that I had been overlooking was to use your E on yourself instead of on the carry that way you can reliably proc the slow with an auto-attack and then land a bubble.

Also, you can wait until your auto is in the air and then alt+e for guaranteed slow.

And yeah, getting good at Nami is 90% landing bubbles. It's really tough to do it in lane; try to watch where the adc moves after their autoattack on a creep, then throw it as they're going for a CS. Or just wait till you receive a gank.

Do NOT waste your mana going for random bubbles; she's very mana-gated and gets great value out of her W in lane. That's what you should be casting most of the time.

If you're playing vs a melee champ, loving auto them, but that goes for any ranged into melee matchup

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cavelcade posted:

Really, just mastering the laning phase and consistently getting an early advantage will pump up your winrate more than anything else. The biggest problem that most low MMR supports have is that they either play the lane too safely or too aggressively. The former is usually the Janna/Soraka/Lulu players who sit a million yards away from you and only stick their neck out to heal, and the latter are usually the Brand/Alistar/Pykes of the world who will instantly Rambo in if someone gets within engage range. Both of these playstyles tend to give away leads to players who know how to position well and can successfully bait people into bad engages.

Your positioning in lane needs to carefully balance risk with reward. In low MMR, this is mainly about using the position and size of your creep wave to your advantage and knowing the approximate ranges of ADC/support abilities. You want to try and bait out key cooldowns from enemy supports, dodging them appropriately or using minions to absorb them, and constantly threaten the enemy ADC with autoattack harass or a potential Q. If your wave is larger than their wave, you can play more up and aggressive; if it's smaller, you should play more back and defensive. If your jungler is on your side of the map, you can play more up and aggressive; if they're not, you should play more back and defensive.

With those tools under your belt, you can start paying more attention to the state of the map at large. If you don't know where the enemy mid is, and you're confident they haven't simply gone back to buy, you should play more back and defensive; if you don't know where the enemy jungler is, you should play more back and defensive. Tracking these things is a lot easier than it first seems if you occasionally glance at the scoreboard, watch where people are on the minimap, and have a rudimentary understanding of other lanes. If you see that the enemy mid has just gotten back to their lane after making their first buy, you can be on more of an alert if they suddenly vanish from mid. If you see that they've vanished with 100 CS under their belt but only a starting item and a few early components like a Tear in their inventory, you can guess that they're likely going back to buy instead of potentially roaming down. Similarly for the jungle, knowing typical early routes will tell you where the jungler is likely to be. If you put down a ward by botlane Scuttle at around 1:00 or so, you'll know if the jungler is doing Scuttle or not. If they aren't, they're very likely heading to their other buff, allowing you to play more aggressively; if they are doing Scuttle, you should play more defensively.

Once you master basic rules like this and are confident in your ability to dodge abilities, you can begin to play in a more cerebral way. You can play deceptively: suddenly start moving up towards them to try and bluff them into thinking that your jungler's arriving to relieve pressure, intentionally eat an ability to get them to commit while you have reinforcements waiting in the wings, or play back and defensive until your jungler's in position to lull them into a sense of security. Players at lower MMRs usually haven't mastered the concept of hiding your intentions, making it easier to trick people into thinking what you want them to think. You can also start to take advantage of the tendencies of your opponents: I had a game once as Sona vs. Sivir, and I noticed that she would Spell Shield my Q 100% of the time, so I used this tendency to eat her Spell Shield moments before our jungler ran in and demolished her. Stuff like this seems minor, but it can have a major impact on your lane. If you can get the enemy duo to believe that they're constantly in danger from a nonexistent enemy, or suss out a tendency of theirs that leaves them vulnerable, you can leverage that into more threat without increasing the level of risk you put yourself under. Being able to force a 10-15 CS lead early on solely through bluffing leads to more consistent early results, and those consistent early results lead to more MMR gains overall.

kingcobweb posted:

And yeah, getting good at Nami is 90% landing bubbles. It's really tough to do it in lane; try to watch where the adc moves after their autoattack on a creep, then throw it as they're going for a CS. Or just wait till you receive a gank.

In addition, don't forget that E also applies a slow. It might seem like a minor thing, but the less ground your opponent can cover, the easier it is to guarantee a hit.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 5, 2019

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Lots of good Nami advice already posted. One very specific bit for landing q: when you're playing against assassin's with dashes just pop the bubble on the squishy they're trying to kill. Once you get a sense of the timing it's a very good way to deal with obnoxious mobile champs that are hella hard to hit.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Tilting spree here:

Hey guys, even though my entire team is telling us not to invade and I am ADC, I will invade level 1. Oops I died, who could have foreseen these events? Seriously. Every single game I go into. I warn about extremely predictable outcomes and they do it anyways. I feel like a loving prophet. Really why would I wanna make wise choices in a game based around teamwork and making strategical choices?

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Midig posted:

Is so bad I am considering change from Renekton to Nasus. Because even if I am 14/3/11 they will just never ever ever make any use of the power spike.

Congrats. Now instead of drawing enemy resources to you and tilting the enemy team against their top laner, the enemy jungler and top have taken advantage of the power vacuum you created top lane and ran over the rest of the map while you’re still scaling up.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
sounds like you need to stand up from the computer and take a break!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Midig posted:

Tilting spree here:

Hey guys, even though my entire team is telling us not to invade and I am ADC, I will invade level 1. Oops I died, who could have foreseen these events? Seriously. Every single game I go into. I warn about extremely predictable outcomes and they do it anyways. I feel like a loving prophet. Really why would I wanna make wise choices in a game based around teamwork and making strategical choices?

just invade 100% of games

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

If people are wondering if /mute all is a good idea. Yes. You win more and you still get the enemies delicious salt after you gain LP. 9/10 stuff people write will not help you. Pings are king. Had 2 games and all my tilt just vanished when I could not talk poo poo in chat.

Orv
May 4, 2011
And the journey is complete.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Time is a flat 0 LP circle.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Midig posted:

Tilting spree here:

Their team is Blitz, Cait, Neeko, Pyke, and Nasus, why is everyone pinging danger at the river? Let me, Jihn, solo facecheck this bush real quick so I can ward their blue. We can steal it from underneath them! :downsgun:

Story based on real events

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 6, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Fairly common for people not to pay attention to the other team being a CC laden invade comp and come back to their computer at 30 seconds to go walk into the bush the other team has already long since been sitting in.

Invade talk means I get to again post one of my favorite clips and why I love defending invades as Sion when my team isn't fully afk
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/184869799

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

That is the thing though if everyone commits its likely to succeed just based on their sheer surprise. But if not, you just don't do it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Why did they nerf Karthus's ult so much. "His jungle wave clear is too good, so let's nerf the only thing in his kit that cannot interact with the jungle in any way!" Not to mention, what if you don't want to play him Jungle? Guess I gotta pick up a new mid-laner for a bit :(

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

So I still get trolls. Ally banned our teammates ADC, though it was a fluke. So I tell my ally to chill and that is was probably a mistake. Get queued with him again and he bans my pick. which btw, has a 3 percent banrate, so nothing like Darius insta ban as an excuse. Calls me bad, feeds and tells me to delete game. Climbing is possible, but man some people make it loving hard. From now on, never queue for 5 minutes if someone bans and ally pick. Also, never hover my champ in champ select.

Midig fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 6, 2019

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Why did they nerf Karthus's ult so much. "His jungle wave clear is too good, so let's nerf the only thing in his kit that cannot interact with the jungle in any way!" Not to mention, what if you don't want to play him Jungle? Guess I gotta pick up a new mid-laner for a bit :(

didn't they revert those nerfs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Sexpansion posted:

didn't they revert those nerfs?

IIRC they gave him back 10% AP scaling on it, but kept the huge base damage nerfs.