Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not judging the movie but that poster legitimately hurts to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One imagines the Shi'ar - especially the Imperial Guard - was deemed 'too much effort.'

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah what is up with the x-men movies' budgets anyway. Like they're lower budget than an MCU film, of course, but not that much lower budget, and yet so many of them look like made for TV movies with like 3 sets and barely any special effects. The horrible FF movie was entirely set in a warehouse, too. There has to be some Hollywood accounting going on.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

It fuckin rules

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sumo posted:

It fuckin rules

It looks like what having a psychotic break feels like.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Oh you weren't around in the 80s were you?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah what is up with the x-men movies' budgets anyway. Like they're lower budget than an MCU film, of course, but not that much lower budget, and yet so many of them look like made for TV movies with like 3 sets and barely any special effects. The horrible FF movie was entirely set in a warehouse, too. There has to be some Hollywood accounting going on.

Dark Phoenix is $200 million+ production budget and from the reviews is the most bland of any them in terms of visuals.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Oh you weren't around in the 80s were you?

The 80s did not look like that.

X-O posted:

Dark Phoenix is $200 million+ production budget and from the reviews is the most bland of any them in terms of visuals.

200 million dollars and it looks about as good as any direct to netflix horror movie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Barry Convex posted:

I'm not saying anything new here and I highly doubt this is even DP's biggest problem, but man, it's truly mindboggling that they chose to introduce aliens into the Singerverse after nineteen years, and they went with a bunch of completely generic, unnamed shapeshifters instead of the Shi'ar or any of the other alien characters to whom Fox held the film rights.

I mean, I recall some people being disappointed back in 2012 when, after much speculation, Loki's army in the first Avengers was revealed to be an effectively-original alien race instead of the Skrulls or whoever, but at least that film had no narrative reason for the Chitauri to be more than a faceless army.

After Captain Marvel, I’m really happy they held off on the Skrulls. It’s nice to get genuinely surprised by a super hero movie once in a while.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dawgstar posted:

One imagines the Shi'ar - especially the Imperial Guard - was deemed 'too much effort.'

there are any number of ways they could have made the Shi'ar more grounded than their comics counterparts but still recognizable on some level as such, but then, one of the hallmarks of the Singerverse has always been (a few select characters and elements aside) to approach the source material on a very shallow level, rather than making any real effort to actually, y'know, consider which elements from the comics would and wouldn't fit in the story they're telling

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Lurdiak posted:

200 million dollars and it looks about as good as any direct to netflix horror movie.

Some of them look pretty good. Like The Apostle was picked up by Netflix, has a budget of what I assume was 15 dollars in relative Hollywood terms, and yet blows Dark Phoenix out of the loving water.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Why would they put disco-outfit Dazzler in the movie that’s set in 1993?

The 90s had a huge 70s revival thing

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, they've got the budget I think they just spend it in super boring ways.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When I imagine the Shi'ar on film my mind goes to Skeletor and all the Eternia stuff from the Masters of the Universe movie.

Not the kind of aesthetic for a Singerverse movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

The 90s had a huge 70s revival thing

Not in 93 and not in that way. It would make more sense for her to be the modern more punk version abd riff on grunge being a thing.

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

Sumo posted:

It fuckin rules

It really does

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, they've got the budget I think they just spend it in super boring ways.

I think some of the leads' contracts were up after Apocalypse, so they probably had to pay a pretty penny or two to get them all back. When it comes Lawrence, Fassbender, McAvoy and Hoult, the series in its current state needs them a lot more than they need it, so I bet Fox really had to dig into their production budget in order to get them on board.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's a bigass version of the WW84 poster:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
For people who've seen Dark Phoenix, is there any explanation for the fact that Jean pretty much just...y'know, was the Phoenix already in the last film? Like is the fact that she already unleashed her full power and became a giant massive firebird in the last film -- which was pretty integral to defeating Apocalypse -- touched on at all, or are we expected to just studiously ignore that it happened so that it can...happen...again?...now?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

For people who've seen Dark Phoenix, is there any explanation for the fact that Jean pretty much just...y'know, was the Phoenix already in the last film? Like is the fact that she already unleashed her full power and became a giant massive firebird in the last film -- which was pretty integral to defeating Apocalypse -- touched on at all, or are we expected to just studiously ignore that it happened so that it can...happen...again?...now?

haven’t seen it but my guess would be that it’s “handled” the same way as the Stryker ending of DOFP was handled in Apocalypse

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

No explanation at all. This movie sidesteps Apocalypse (as it should).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard for them to do though, if they cared.

The Phoenix has been dormant in Jean since she was a child, the space fire blob actually kills her but then the Phoenix kicks in and brings her back and dominates her personality. You can rectify this with 90 seconds of screen time and an extra CGI effect.

The angry aliens see the power level suddenly reappear on their scanners. Boom, everything runs the same.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard for them to do though, if they cared.

The Phoenix has been dormant in Jean since she was a child, the space fire blob actually kills her but then the Phoenix kicks in and brings her back and dominates her personality. You can rectify this with 90 seconds of screen time and an extra CGI effect.

The angry aliens see the power level suddenly reappear on their scanners. Boom, everything runs the same.

it's truly amazing how little regard the Singerverse films have for their own continuity, even as they've insisted on maintaining some semblance of it and steadfastly refused to do an actual reboot

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Barry Convex posted:

it's truly amazing how little regard the Singerverse films have for their own continuity, even as they've insisted on maintaining some semblance of it and steadfastly refused to do an actual reboot

It really is the most comic accurate depiction of the X-Men we're ever going to get.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

It really is the most comic accurate depiction of the X-Men we're ever going to get.

It would be if it weren’t so steadfastly afraid of being goofy as poo poo. Except for First Class, which was secretly the best X-Men movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It would be if it weren’t so steadfastly afraid of being goofy as poo poo. Except for First Class, which was secretly the best X-Men movie.

I don't even think that's a big secret. I know X2 gets held up on that pedestal a lot, but upon re-watch it doesn't hold up well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

I don't even think that's a big secret. I know X2 gets held up on that pedestal a lot, but upon re-watch it doesn't hold up well.

The only part that is still unmatched is the mansion siege.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

The only part that is still unmatched is the mansion siege.

Yeah, I think that's what folks remember. It is still pretty cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I think that's what folks remember. It is still pretty cool.

Kind of silly how little blood they showed.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Ringer, of all places, did a deep dive on the history of Dark Phoenix adaptations. Claremont, as you might imagine, has opinions

quote:

Chris Claremont has a theory as to what makes the Dark Phoenix Saga difficult to adapt. “The cheap answer is that no one lets me write it,” he says. “I’m actually not being facetious.” (Claremont had not seen X-Men: Dark Phoenix at the time of our interview. “I hope it will be brilliant,” he says.)

It’s been his goal for decades. He remembers the X-Men premiere in July 2000 on Ellis Island when Famke Janssen, who portrayed Jean Grey in the original trilogy, asked him when he was going to write her a great Phoenix story. “I said, ‘Yeah, give me the word and I’ll give you one that will knock your socks off,’” he says. “That never came to pass, but that was my ambition, to go out west and write the kick rear end X-Men Phoenix story.”

Claremont then shares his kick-rear end Phoenix story, which would slow-pedal the Dark Phoenix Saga across two films. Surprisingly, Claremont’s idea diverges from the comics, with Cyclops and Jean’s daughter Rachel (he would also cast Sophie Turner) playing a major role. But it wouldn’t be a complete departure. Phoenix still devours a star, killing 4 billion D’Bari. The Shi’ar attempt to extract punishment. “I would love to have 200 million bucks to do my version,” he sighs. “I suppose the frustration of being the author of the source material is this sneaky feeling that I know these guys better than anybody and I know the story better than anybody.”

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Rhyno posted:

Kind of silly how little blood they showed.

I remember being shocked at the time that they allowed Wolverine to slice and dice soldiers anyway

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol this article

quote:

Soon, the two writers were swapping ideas. “We hit it off immediately,” Penn remembers. “Simon was a hard worker and so was I. I had an office and we stayed in that office and we just loving jammed.”

After a week or so, Penn and Kinberg had 80 pages, roughly two-thirds of a script. And they’d solved their biggest challenge: how to depict the Phoenix force. “It was just a matter of taking out the ‘bird of fire that had lived since the beginning of the universe’ idea,” Penn says. “As a kid, I thought it was super cool. As a screenwriter trying to establish tone, it felt impossible to explain to anyone except hardcore fans.”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

poly and open-minded posted:

I remember being shocked at the time that they allowed Wolverine to slice and dice soldiers anyway

I think it was the first time I ever cheered in a theater.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

*another Kinsberg script*

Thanos, a world weary construction worker laid off in the GFC, pledges to fight the Avengers, a secret band of leather wearing secret agents

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thor, a surf loving Californian, ends his movie fighting Loki, a dangerous drug lord from the mean streets of Santa Clara

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

I think it was the first time I ever cheered in a theater.

In its own way, X2 was the best movie adaptation of the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's insane how many people in hollywood are still stuck in the 80s/90s "well we can't put any weird silly stuff in this superhero movie" mindset. Like look at what's breaking box office records, you morons.

It's the Kevin Smith Superman movie all over again, and again, and again.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
My fav X-men movie is Days of future past. Those future fight scenes are gruesome (and cool) and the Quicksilver scene was super cool to see the first time.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Shageletic posted:

lol this article

"We can't write a story about a cosmic being that's a force of nature associated with rebirth and death.
Let's just make it an energy force that aliens want. We've got the fantastic larger than life part of the comic story, but none of the mythology part of the comics that readers love.
How can we possibly lose?"

(Two years later.)

"Avengers made all the money but Dark Phoenix failed? Why! This is so unfair!
Who could have seen thos coming?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like a suit of armor...for the whole world