Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I liked Ara Fell when I played it last year, I didn't know it was remade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I liked Ara Fell when I played it last year, I didn't know it was remade.

It got released on steam a couple years ago, I'm not sure if its a remake so much as just an enhanced rerelease. They did add some things in even later patches. 2017 even saw an epilogue added to the game.

By the way, one of the awards it got was basically

'worst deuteragonist' -- Adrian

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Fleshwit posted:

It got released on steam a couple years ago, I'm not sure if its a remake so much as just an enhanced rerelease. They did add some things in even later patches. 2017 even saw an epilogue added to the game.

By the way, one of the awards it got was basically

'worst deuteragonist' -- Adrian

well they weren't wrong about that lol, Adrian is an extremely boring love interest, he was like the epitome of settling for your hometown boyfriend even when better options present themselves

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'd love to see some of this realistic dialogue.

It's a lovers' quarrel isn't it

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

I'd love to see some of this realistic dialogue.

It's a lovers' quarrel isn't it

Laxius Power has no lovers quarrels because the only major couple in the series are a psychopath and his elf girlfriend who is deliberately written as basically a submissive airhead type. In fact, I strongly suspect she's one of the two reasons the series even exists. The writers sex fantasy of what if he had a submissive elf girlfriend. She's also the most aggravating character in the game and its hard to tell if its intentional or not because she being stupid is definitely intentional (everyone, even Random thinks of her as extremely stupid.)

Wendala is the other reason. And she's part of the sex fantasy too but at least she's funny. She's the best.

Also Goddess Yveen is the worst goddess of all loving time. I hate her. I'd hate her more than loving Sarah (the elf GF) if she was around even half as much as Sarah.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I was kinda disappointed to find out from Googling it that "big titty angel babe" is about what it takes to nab "sexiest female RPGMaker character" for 2005 tbh.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

I was kinda disappointed to find out from Googling it that "big titty angel babe" is about what it takes to nab "sexiest female RPGMaker character" for 2005 tbh.

I'd bet you actually found her art for the Laxius Force trilogy rather than the Laxius Power 3 art.

https://aldorlea.fandom.com/wiki/Yveen Was it this one?

A different, much, much better artist was used for Laxius Power 3 which is absolutely baffling because he had these half way competent pictures, and then in Laxius Force he tossed them aside and used very... subpar art.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
One of the most interesting things about Laxius Power is how it's the schlockiest trash imaginable. It's not good. It's not so bad its good. It's not bad. It's not boring, competent or anything. It's just insane schlock that rarely fails to be entertaining.

And yet the first game got to 1,000,000 downloads in the early-mid 2000s. 1 million. That's insane for RPGMaker games NOW, let alone in 2001-2005.

I remember how I found it. It was on Home of the Underdogs. I was desperate for more free rpgs, since I was but a child without any cash and it had an entry there. The first trilogy all have articles on there. Still do.

quote:

Laxius Power is one of the best fanmade RPGs I have ever seen. Although the plot is quite cliche, the game more than makes up for this with sheer size: not counting numerous side quests and secret locations, Laxius Power will easily take you more than 50 hours to complete.
Coded with ASCII's RPG Maker application, Laxius Power is a console-style RPG, which means you get to control a party of anime-ish characters and explore a Final Fantasy-style world. The game lets you control multiple characters, and even allows you to change the difficulty level – a nice touch that more RPGs should have. One of the best things about the game is that you have considerable freedom of movement: there are always many locations you can explore at any given time – giving the game a strong non-linear feel.

Before you download the game, be warned: unlike most "cute" anime RPGs, this one has a number of "mature" elements that could offend you. There is offensive language and precarious sexual situations depicted, although nothing as blatant as the mildest of Japanese adult Hentai games. Also to the designer's credit, the sexual overtones never become the main focus of the game (it is normally quite obvious if a game designer is using sex as a 'cheap' gimmick to attract more players). The writing is awkward and stilted in some areas, probably a result of the game being translated from French, or coded by a non-native English speaker. That's nothing to detract from the fun, though. Overall, I find Laxius Power to be one of the best freeware RPGs today. If you enjoy console-style RPGs, check out this excellent underdog that will occupy you for dozens of hours. If offensive material puts you off, though, your best bet is to look for a more 'traditional' console RPG. Two thumbs up for this underdog.

A lot of communities shunned it but it still had a huge influence on the RPGMaker community. The game is also an... interesting mish-mash of both JRPG and CRPG conventions. It's not for nothing that I'm torn between doing it or Master of the Wind next.

Master of the Wind is legitimately a good game, Laxius Power is an INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I'm all for Laxius Power next, seems like... quite a piece of work.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I really would recommend Ara Fell, and I'm following their new game, Rise of the Third Power, but I'm kind of mixed on that one because they're basically telling a WW2 story with it and well, its probably harder to nail the execution on that kind of story nowadays? I still backed the kickstarter so we'll see how it turns out.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I really would recommend Ara Fell, and I'm following their new game, Rise of the Third Power, but I'm kind of mixed on that one because they're basically telling a WW2 story with it and well, its probably harder to nail the execution on that kind of story nowadays? I still backed the kickstarter so we'll see how it turns out.

I'm very interested in how that'll turn out myself too. Theres a couple other interesting RPGMaker games I've been thinking of trying. So many games, so little time. World's Dawn looks like an interesting Harvest Moon type game, though I've heard it focuses more on story and characters than the actual farming.

A relatively recent free release is Theia, which I've heard is great too.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 5, 2019

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I also know they're porting Ara Fell to Unity as part of the dev cycle for Rise of the Third Power, I believe they're almost done with that.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I also know they're porting Ara Fell to Unity as part of the dev cycle for Rise of the Third Power, I believe they're almost done with that.

What on earth? Why? Is it going to be free if I own it on Steam already? What's even the drat point?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Fleshwit posted:

What on earth? Why? Is it going to be free if I own it on Steam already? What's even the drat point?

yeah it'll just update the steam version. I imagine they're doing it to make a console port easier. they said they were doing it for Ara Fell since doing it was gonna help them more familiar with it and would help with working on the new game moving forward.

I guess they decided to switch to Unity really early in the dev cycle for the new game.

Here's what they said in the latest kickstarter update in mid May:

quote:

Now, on to the Ara Fell Enhanced Edition Beta test!

So, as I've described before, the plan was to take our first game (which was made with old tech in RPG Maker 2003) and convert it to run in Unity, then rebuild the UI and battle system, as well as adding some new features. We'd use that experience and basic structure of the code to then do the same for Rise of the Third Power (which is what will allow it to run on the Nintendo Switch).

This has also turned out to be more ambitious than we anticipated, and this is the driving force behind R3P's delay. But given how much bigger R3P actually is, I am sure we made the right decision focusing on Ara Fell first. Just that project has been nearly overwhelming. Like I said in a previous update, it turns out that for all our experience and combined skills, building a UI from scratch and a battle system from scratch wasn't actually in our wheelhouse, and came with a lot of unexpected issues.

But we did it.

We hope to enter partially open beta within a month or so, so anyone that owns a copy of Ara Fell on Steam will be invited. This will be a free update rather than a paid DLC as well.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 5, 2019

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Laxius Force/Power is that one really hilaribad misogyny BDSM RPG isn't it? The one with the really famously bad writing and bad English (in addition to everything else)?

The fact that it won so many awards and was so bizarrely popular sort of makes my day because it's really funny, but it also depresses me at the same time. Is there a word for that? Laughtersadness? Gigglepression? Tears of laughter, but also tears of sadness at the human race?

I had no idea it was so beloved. Who would've guessed badly-drawn anime titties and creepy maledom/femsub poo poo was all it took to make it to the big leagues?

Hammurabi fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 5, 2019

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Hammurabi posted:

Laxius Force/Power is that one really hilaribad misogyny BDSM RPG isn't it? The one with the really famously bad writing and bad English (in addition to everything else)?

The fact that it won so many awards and was so bizarrely popular sort of makes my day because it's really funny, but it also depresses me at the same time. Is there a word for that? Laughtersadness? Gigglepression? Tears of laughter, but also tears of sadness at the human race?

That's the one. BDSM RPG is a bit of an exaggeration but theres definitely master/slave themed stuff in there. But actual SM stuff and bondage... I can only think of some references and a mere single scene in the main story of Laxius Force 3. That's 6 whole games.

Anyway, I unironically like Laxius Power 1 and 3. They're funny, unintentionally so, and completely insane but I actually like the gameplay... to an extent. It has its... severe missteps.

Laxius Power 2 is wholly terrible and is divided up into four short scenarios, three of which are absolutely boring tedium and the only good one has some of the series best lines and the best romantic scene I've ever seen put to words.

The Laxius Force trilogy are three of the worst rpgs I've ever played. The sole reason to play them is to continue the Laxius saga plot and see what happens insanity happens next. It definitely doesn't disappoint on that front, but good god they're miserable games to actually play. And those are the ones he sells for money. Laxius Force 3 came out in 2010. Laxius Force 3 still costs 30 bucks. I bought it. I played it to completion. In some insane way, it was completely worth it.

I've been waiting for years for the next Laxius trilogy to begin. He promised 2014 but keeps pushing it back to make other RPGMaker games because he claims longer jrpgs are less cost effective in the current market.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 5, 2019

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Fleshwit posted:

That's the one. BDSM RPG is a bit of an exaggeration but theres definitely master/slave themed stuff in there. But actual SM stuff and bondage... I can only think of some references and a mere single scene in the main story of Laxius Force 3. That's 6 whole games.

Anyway, I unironically like Laxius Power 1 and 3. They're funny, unintentionally so, and completely insane but I actually like the gameplay... to an extent. It has its... severe missteps.

Laxius Power 2 is wholly terrible and is divided up into four short scenarios, three of which are absolutely boring tedium and the only good one has some of the series best lines and the best romantic scene I've ever seen put to words.

The Laxius Force trilogy are three of the worst rpgs I've ever played. The sole reason to play them is to continue the Laxius saga plot and see what happens insanity happens next. It definitely doesn't disappoint on that front, but good god they're miserable games to actually play. And those are the ones he sells for money. Laxius Force 3 still costs 30 bucks. I bought it. I played it to completion. In some insane way, it was completely worth it.

Huh. Here I thought the Laxius Force trilogy was the whole series. Figured I was misremembering the name when you said Laxius Power.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Hammurabi posted:

Huh. Here I thought the Laxius Force trilogy was the whole series. Figured I was misremembering the name when you said Laxius Power.

Nope, the series goes, Laxius Power trilogy which were RPGMaker 2k and for free, then Laxius Force Trilogy + 3 Stars of Destiny in RPGMaker XP AND YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THEM

Hell I might as well quote the man himself.

quote:

Laxius Power ~ Random Story October 2001 (re-released May 2002)

Laxius Power II ~ Destinies April 2003

Laxius Power III ~ The Final Terror December (X-mas) 2004

Blades of Heaven April (?) 2005
Lax Team, to the Rescue! December 2005

Laxius Force - Heroes Never Die August 18, 2008

3 Stars of Destiny February 23, 2009
Laxius Party May 2009
Laxius Force II - The Queen of Adretana August 19, 2009
Millennium: A New Hope September 21, 2009
Asguaard November 13, 2009
Millennium 2: Take Me Higher December 20, 2009

Dreamscape March 19, 2010
Ella's Hope (Lead: Eridani) April 29, 2010
Laxius Force III - The Last Stand August 29, 2010
Millennium 3: Cry Wolf October 31, 2010

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Fleshwit posted:

I'd bet you actually found her art for the Laxius Force trilogy rather than the Laxius Power 3 art.

https://aldorlea.fandom.com/wiki/Yveen Was it this one?

A different, much, much better artist was used for Laxius Power 3 which is absolutely baffling because he had these half way competent pictures, and then in Laxius Force he tossed them aside and used very... subpar art.

Yeah that's it.

Of course, I'm sure the competition for "sexist male character" was much tighter but still.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ara Fell is a good candidate for an LP in case anyone's looking for a project.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Honestly I always felt like this scene was weak and didn't fit with the rest of the game. Traizun as a whole doesn't fit with the rest of the cast. It's like a generically cool anime swordsman who wants to kill his dad wandered in from somewhere else.

One of the things I appreciate about the game is how violence is portrayed. For the most part it's unglamorous and there's weight to the killing. It's more about the circumstances that made our protagonists murderhobos than a capacity to dispatch hordes of ninja.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Microcline posted:

Honestly I always felt like this scene was weak and didn't fit with the rest of the game. Traizun as a whole doesn't fit with the rest of the cast. It's like a generically cool anime swordsman who wants to kill his dad wandered in from somewhere else.

One of the things I appreciate about the game is how violence is portrayed. For the most part it's unglamorous and there's weight to the killing. It's more about the circumstances that made our protagonists murderhobos than a capacity to dispatch hordes of ninja.

Yeah, I think that's why I've never been particularly hot for it and why I like scenes like when Lexus died, or a couple coming up or in Episode 6 much more.

I still like it though, since I've always liked scenes that make the player feel powerful, if only for a brief while.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
And it says a lot that Traziun is probably by far the most popular, and well-remembered character from this series. Perhaps tied with Rhue.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So basically the fanbase for this kind of game was not impressed by anything that actually set it apart from the pack when there's Anime Cool on the menu.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 5: Part 10: The Book of Sermeot.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 12, 2020

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 5: Part 11: Tying Up One Old Loose Thread.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 12, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Rhue you really need to start demanding answers from people.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Just think of the awards this game could've won if Lyrra didn't come in when she did!

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Hammurabi posted:

Just think of the awards this game could've won if Lyrra didn't come in when she did!

It wont be the last time Lyrra'll rush in without warning. Like next update for instance

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 5 Finale: The Last Plunge, the Confrontation(s) and The Violet That Danced.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 10, 2020

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
I played through the series shortly after episode 5 came out, so I had to wait approximately two years to see what followed this cliffhanger.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Twiler posted:

I played through the series shortly after episode 5 came out, so I had to wait approximately two years to see what followed this cliffhanger.

I'm very curious to know what you think about Episode 6, in the most vague terms possible of course, not even giving away how its... 'different.'

I've said before it's my personal favourite but it always seemed like the majority of fans were disappointed with it on some level. Some just say not as good as 4 and 5, others say it's straight out bad.

Others say something silly like "Oh it's so different from the other ones I can't even rank it'. That sentiment is alarmingly common, actually.

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010

Fleshwit posted:

I'm very curious to know what you think about Episode 6, in the most vague terms possible of course, not even giving away how its... 'different.'

I've said before it's my personal favourite but it always seemed like the majority of fans were disappointed with it on some level. Some just say not as good as 4 and 5, others say it's straight out bad.

Others say something silly like "Oh it's so different from the other ones I can't even rank it'. That sentiment is alarmingly common, actually.

I liked it a lot.

My only complaint was that it left a lot of questions unanswered, and looking over the end of episode 5 again, it does seem as though that wasn't the original plan.

Thinking back now, I can't remember exactly how the plot breaks down. I'm looking forward to seeing it all again.

One strong point in its favour was the increased complexity of the regular combat and the plunge combat.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Twiler posted:

I liked it a lot.

My only complaint was that it left a lot of questions unanswered, and looking over the end of episode 5 again, it does seem as though that wasn't the original plan.

Thinking back now, I can't remember exactly how the plot breaks down. I'm looking forward to seeing it all again.

One strong point in its favour was the increased complexity of the regular combat and the plunge combat.

Yeah. Episode 5 spends a lot of time building up a couple things that Episode 6 completely ignores and its solely because Lun likely intended for that stuff to be handled in Episode 7. But whatever was happening in his personal life got to him really bad, and... well, we got what we got. He had to shuffle things pretty obviously, and insert some stuff to actually make the ending satisfying. The seams are obvious at times, not the least because of the Episode's unusual structure.

One of the event notes even notes exactly where Lun intended Episode 6 to end originally, and where Episode 7 would presumably start. That would've been a real rear end kicker of a cliffhanger too. But we got a really good character ending out of it instead. Two, actually. I don't care for the third ending though.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Is Rhue being the Phantom Slasher even supposed to be a twist? I was honestly expecting the game to trick me and go "Nope, it's actually someone completely different!".

I forget, where did Rhue start his journey again? Him getting back to the Landorin Stretch makes it feel like he just circled around the world and went back to where he started, but there must be some catch here.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

Is Rhue being the Phantom Slasher even supposed to be a twist? I was honestly expecting the game to trick me and go "Nope, it's actually someone completely different!".

I forget, where did Rhue start his journey again? Him getting back to the Landorin Stretch makes it feel like he just circled around the world and went back to where he started, but there must be some catch here.

Rhue being the Phantom Slasher was one of the two big theories right after the release of Episode 4. IIRC the other one was Gaius. The thing was, I remember playing this and thinking all along that 'no way is it going to be Rhue, that's too obvious.' But we did end on Gaius saying he is.

I don't think it's meant to be a huge twist, but arriving on what looks like the Landorin Stretch? Hoo boy. Right after passing 'what used to be the End of the Way' too.

There's something pretty fucky going on though.

I'm sure you all picked up on the fact that Scatha is Chasta, Slade's sister. And Slade and Scatha are the only two characters that have recognized Serena by name. And they had an unnamed little sister. Who died/went missing.
So Slade and Scatha were at least teenagers at the time of the Landorin Massacre, and yet they never show any sign of recognising any of the terrain, and I'm not implying Lun left an oversight in his writing.

Lastly, Gaius finds Rhue recognising that place 'interesting' and it seems like that immediately spurs a huge change in mind in Gaius, and he starts telling Rhue about his sword and that he's the Phantom Slasher and he needs help before his Shadow Sword destroys him. And that he 'can't be allowed to exist in his current state any longer.'

As for where Rhue's journey started, it was at Landorin, at least a decade ago, Slade and Scatha aren't that old either, and Cetsa and Kloe can't have been too far from Landorin if they found and fought over Serena's pendant. Yet they're back at Landorin already? Don't you think the game'd be up for The Guided long ago if the Way looped so quickly?

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 7, 2019

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The thing that's confusing me the most is what's up with "Ghost Horror." It just... appeared next to Slade, and then Lyrra took it I guess?

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

The thing that's confusing me the most is what's up with "Ghost Horror." It just... appeared next to Slade, and then Lyrra took it I guess?

That's exactly what happened. It probably wanted Slade to grab it, but he was so out of it he never got to. If he'd even want to after how he changed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kind of a weird thing to suddenly introduce, this teleporting spooky sword, but okay Lun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Well, it's one of the Shadow Swords, like Traziun's Night Reaper, and apparently, even Rhue's sword. The Shadow Swords being able to move themselves might explain how Night Reaper got from beneath Lide to a volcano.

And the Phantom Slasher seems to manifest completely seperately from Rhue too.