Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Looks like the Resistance are getting a big bertha style cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Laaaaaand traaaaainnn!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The theme for BFE seems to be Huge Setpiece Models, which I suppose is fitting for the big finale assault of the Reconquest before whatever plot revelations they throw in for a second edition.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The PHR were fortifying one of the Cradle worlds last we heard, so I guess it will be an age of assaulting strongholds with the big guns.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So uh protip, when you're assembling a Scourge Dreadnought, if you assemble fins from smallest to largest like I apparently instinctively do, you'll end up in a huge hassle since you've got to put the four lower big fins in while they're enclosed by the smaller fins.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

wdarkk posted:

So uh protip, when you're assembling a Scourge Dreadnought, if you assemble fins from smallest to largest like I apparently instinctively do, you'll end up in a huge hassle since you've got to put the four lower big fins in while they're enclosed by the smaller fins.

i don't think i've had to reglue something so many times during assembly before

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I've got it entirely assembled except for the drat FLIGHT PEG.

First the wooden rod I was holding it on with painting broke off and I had to drill it out, then it just did not want to stay. I guess I'll have to do it upside down.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Oath xpost:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Looks snazzy as heck!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sojenus posted:

i don't think i've had to reglue something so many times during assembly before

gently caress yeah. I had to put two together too. At least it's over with! We won't ever get anything that big again, right?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm knocking up a 3d printed building for DZC, and have done a test print.

I think the windows need to be deeper and more detailed, and I need to smooth the balcony a bit. But how does it look to you guys scale wise?

This is the corner of one floor, if your not sure.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

About right I think? Maybe a touch on the large side but those could just be larger windows.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dropped the height to 15mm from 18mm, deepened the windows and the balcony prints without a bridge. Thinned the walls down a bit as well.

25% reduction in print time and materials.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muSXLmbuc7A

modular builds from a sprue like the space stations apparently

neat

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Two sprues.

One does scrappy resistance ships. The other does ships in the same style as the resin remnant cruiser.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Any word on if they are the same faction, or two distinct fleets?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Dave was there talking about them but I couldn't get close enough to ask.

I hope they're some kind of mix and match. I have pictures of both fleets/sprues on my phone I'll throw up tomorrow.

They look really, really good. I hope this gives fleet a shot in the arm.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Still no word of a US stockist?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

Any word on if they are the same faction, or two distinct fleets?

It's the Resistance "two different approaches to the same list" method again. The shiny ships are from Kallium, an isolationist colony that refused to join the UCM and is now basically Space North Korea. The scrappier ships are remnant fleets, with the biggest remnant being survivors from Vega.

Given we now have a PHR-occupied cradle world, I wonder if they'll seek out revenge.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

First 3D printed building completeish!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

First 3D printed building completeish!

That looks pretty cool. How much material does that cost?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

About 200g? I think cutting the windows out may save print time and materials, not sure yet how much it would cut out.
Now to work on some more!

Edit

Ground floor (Columns +3 floors)- 94g
Middle 4 floors - 84g *can be stacked as high as you would want
Roof 35g
213 grams total, or for me, about £4 of filament.

This thing without the roof is 125g apparently.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 27, 2019

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Do we know if there's going to be some updates to dropfleet alongside the dropzone stuff?

Also is the dropfleet PHR starter worth it? I'd be getting it to try out the faction, since I'm still undecided.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Trenchdeep posted:

Do we know if there's going to be some updates to dropfleet alongside the dropzone stuff?

Also is the dropfleet PHR starter worth it? I'd be getting it to try out the faction, since I'm still undecided.

My friend sent some PMs to the TTCombat recently and they said that Battle for Earth will include updates for DFC but it won't be a full new edition like it will be for DZC.

I went with the full PHR Battlefleet and was very happy with it. Most of the starter fleets are a good value and I was happy with my Shaltari one and my friends have been happy with their UCM ones, but you'll want to expand on them fast. I assume the PHR one is equally as good.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Atlas Hugged posted:

My friend sent some PMs to the TTCombat recently and they said that Battle for Earth will include updates for DFC but it won't be a full new edition like it will be for DZC.

I went with the full PHR Battlefleet and was very happy with it. Most of the starter fleets are a good value and I was happy with my Shaltari one and my friends have been happy with their UCM ones, but you'll want to expand on them fast. I assume the PHR one is equally as good.

Thanks!

I'm mostly looking to play around with the factions and see which one I like the most. Also I'm not aware of any community around here, so I might need to run the demo games...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well the next time you pass through Bangkok I'd be happy to run you through the game.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

If I end up taking a holiday instead of buying another motorcycle I'll probably take you up on that.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

A while back I bought some Destroyers (the Dropzone unit) and they accidentally sent me Destroyers (the Scourge Dropfleet ships). I've got a Scourge fleet already that in theory could use them, but I already have some and I can't be arsed to build/magnetize/paint them when I've never wanted to use more than three anyway. If someone's interested and will toss me the shipping cost I'm happy to send them somewhere they're more likely to go to use.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sojenus posted:

A while back I bought some Destroyers (the Dropzone unit) and they accidentally sent me Destroyers (the Scourge Dropfleet ships). I've got a Scourge fleet already that in theory could use them, but I already have some and I can't be arsed to build/magnetize/paint them when I've never wanted to use more than three anyway. If someone's interested and will toss me the shipping cost I'm happy to send them somewhere they're more likely to go to use.

Are you in the US or UK?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Ah should have said that, US.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sojenus posted:

Ah should have said that, US.

I'm in the US and I've got a Scourge fleet that has no destroyers, PM me.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Playing my first game of Dropfleet at a 1500 point limit this weekend. I didn't magnetize because I can't be bothered, so I'm basically just fielding what I have, but I think it's a good mix of ships.

code:
Flag Battlegroup A: 
Diamond
-Starchief

Vanguard Battlegroup B: 
-Jet
-2x Amethyst

Vanguard Battlegroup C:
-Obsidian
-2x Jade

Line Battlegroup D:
-2x Emerald
-3x Voidgate

Line Battlegroup E:
-Amber
-2x Topaz

Pathfinder Battlegroup F:
-Basalt
-3x Voidgate
-3x Glass
The groupings should be pretty effective, though it looks a little weird the way I have them divided.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 31, 2019

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Playing my first game of Dropfleet at a 1500 point limit this weekend. I didn't magnetize because I can't be bothered, so I'm basically just fielding what I have, but I think it's a good mix of ships.

code:
Flag Battlegroup A: 
Diamond
-Starchief

Vanguard Battlegroup B: 
-Jet
-2x Amethyst

Vanguard Battlegroup C:
-Obsidian
-2x Jade

Line Battlegroup D:
-2x Emerald
-3x Voidgate

Line Battlegroup E:
-Amber
-2x Topaz

Pathfinder Battlegroup F:
-Basalt
-3x Voidgate
-3x Glass
The groupings should be pretty effective, though it looks a little weird the way I have them divided.

Six voidgates feels a tiny bit low.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

wdarkk posted:

Six voidgates feels a tiny bit low.

I literally do not own more.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone pedalling the new rules yet? I'm not sure whether to dive back in to DZC/DFC or just sell out entirely with the new editions. I dropped being a Talon due to lack of interest.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Sadly I'm feeling really broke right now so I'm putting off buying the book for another payday.

Really hoping to see a renewal in interest, I need more events to go to and I'm still not feeling inclined to buy into GW all that much.

I have noticed dzc stat lines with armour 14 creeping out which implies they changed or ditched the damage table.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Spotted the Zeus with 15.

I general i'd say i'm cautiously... hopeful?

Did they ever say a word about a Talon program equivalent?

They pretty much lost me completely with the way they handled that and the beta feedback. I might pick the game back up with my local group if the rules turn out to be good but i don't see myself doing promotion again.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Haven't read anything past "we want a program that encompasses all of our games".

I plan to pick up the book and try it out, but I haven't actually played a single game of DZC so I won't be able to compare. Looking over their posts/videos it seems they streamlined things though, like the armor stuff mentioned above, where it's now A-E=roll needed to meet or beat, rather than a table to check.

Looking forward to building and painting the behemoths more than anything else, really.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
I got the book at UKGE. The Dropfleet material is units (the final versions of Dreads and Destroyers, the new Monitors, and the Remnant Fleet statblocks) but no core rules changes. The Dropzone material is the opposite: the core rules of DZC2, with no unit statblocks at all.

The fluff descriptions of the ground armies of each faction include several units that don't exist (yet?) - the PHR, for example, mentions an alt loadout scout walker that shields infantry, a mized-arms walker between a Phobos and an Ares, a gunship based on a Triton's air frame, and two sorts each of big and very big behemoth. The model they've been showing off is a Cronus, one of the very big ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Sojenus posted:

Haven't read anything past "we want a program that encompasses all of our games".

I plan to pick up the book and try it out, but I haven't actually played a single game of DZC so I won't be able to compare. Looking over their posts/videos it seems they streamlined things though, like the armor stuff mentioned above, where it's now A-E=roll needed to meet or beat, rather than a table to check.

I am going to go ahead and say we should take credit for the damage roll change as I first heard it suggested here and started an argument for it on the Facebook group which I know some of you joined in on. Go us!

But yeah, I read the same about the talon scheme. I think TT want to build their own thing from the ground up and opted for a clean slate from the Hawk administration. As they haven't been in a position to really push the games I guess there wasn't much reason to come back to it yet. Hopefully they didn't permanently burn all the bridges in the process.