Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Libluini posted:

My favorite poo poo was when someone posted a world map filled with the greatest hits of student errors and the Ottoman Empire was labeled "Automaton Empire". :allears: I really would like to hear the thought process of how, even from total ignorance, someone arrived at this really weird point

Automatic spellcheck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cyrano4747 posted:

The average undergrad doesn’t know the most basic poo poo about history.

A prof friend of mine tells of a paper on WWII which mentioned the use of Mazel Tov Cocktails against tanks.

It sounds so festive.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Libluini posted:

My favorite poo poo was when someone posted a world map filled with the greatest hits of student errors and the Ottoman Empire was labeled "Automaton Empire". :allears: I really would like to hear the thought process of how, even from total ignorance, someone arrived at this really weird point

I mean a robot empire makes more sense then one based on pointless furniture.

Edit: they half heard something about the mechanical turk and their imagination filled in the rest.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 5, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
what i'm hearing is "ottoman flavored steampunk"

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Libluini posted:

Anyone know where that is? I'd love to see that.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GUNS posted:

what i'm hearing is "ottoman flavored steampunk"

Have you played 80 Days?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

https://www.amazon.com/Ignorance-Blitz-Mangled-Moments-Students/dp/076114949X

A silly little quick read if you can find it cheap. World history as told by lovely essays a university history prof recieved over the years.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so why do russian subs have escape pods and nobody else does? it seems like a pretty good idea

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GUNS posted:

so why do russian subs have escape pods and nobody else does? it seems like a pretty good idea

Do we know that we do? It's been conjectured but I don't know that the Russians have confirmed it.

The Brits and Americans do have this doodad, which supposedly enables escape from 600 ft down: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_Escape_Immersion_Equipment

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HEY GUNS posted:

They do?

The Mike did, but that sub was an experimental one-off and when it sank only one guy out of the 5 who made it to the pod lived. Supposedly the later Oscars and Typhoons have them, but in general, subs are weight-limited and a pressure vessel big enough for a substantial portion of the crew is going to be a huge penalty unless the sub is godawful huge to being with (again, Typhoons qualify).

US subs have historically had escape devices on board, plus an escape trunk, basically an airlock big enough for a few guys at a time. This used to be an inflatable left vest with a breathing hood, but now is a full suit. Escaping the sub while it sinks is really the last resort of a last resort, the hope is that if the boat goes down while living people on it they can sit on the bottom for a bit until a DSRV gets to them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GUNS posted:

i have TAed numerous history classes and the vast majority of people there have no idea about very much of anything. If those guys never took a history class in college, all they have are their own dumb ideas and whatever's filtered in from pop culture

I feel they pick up up one of those honking huge but simple as coffee table history books and of course Hitlers Bloody Henchmen is alphabetized so they actually start with Albert Speer and end up taking notes instead.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i thought they did. they don't?

quote:

The Mike did, but that sub was an experimental one-off and when it sank only one guy out of the 5 who made it to the pod lived. Supposedly the later Oscars and Typhoons have them, but in general, subs are weight-limited and a pressure vessel big enough for a substantial portion of the crew is going to be a huge penalty unless the sub is godawful huge to being with (again, Typhoons qualify).
that explains it: I was reading about the Kursk and it's an Oscar

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 6, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's the one with the pool? The oscar?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

Typhoon.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It'd either suck or be totally awesome to be kicking back in the pool and all of the sudden emergency surface.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Minto Took posted:

It'd either suck or be totally awesome to be kicking back in the pool and all of the sudden emergency surface.

What do the Typhoon-class submarines and McKinley Middle School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa have in common?

Both had NBC protection.

Their swimming pools are used as storage.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

you know i used to love the word "harmony" but after glancing contact with china twitter i loving hate it

The best part of learning Chinese is learning all of the ways you can take advantage of the numerous homonyms inherent in the language as a form of political protest. Harmonize (和諧/hé xiè) is a perfect example because you can also say River crab (河蟹/hé xiè), which is why talking about freshwater seafood can also get your posts censored. Also the entire existence of the Cao Ni Ma song.

Kangxi posted:

A TA friend of mine says some people still thought Mao was alive when they ran an intro to China course. Another person thought Beijing and Peking were different cities

Back when I started learning Chinese I wrote my own drat name wrong and forgot how to write the basic copula

We all started in some point of ignorance before becoming obsessed with our own specific topics

When I started learning Chinese there was a guy in my class who didn't realize Korean, Chinese and Japanese were not only different languages, they were from spoken in countries with their own unique history and culture. Since I've only encountered that once I'm hoping it was just a case of being hyper sheltered.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

most people's opinions don't make any loving sense and are just a minefield of cognitive dissonance, and i assume they'd say the same about ours

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cessna posted:

A prof friend of mine tells of a paper on WWII which mentioned the use of Mazel Tov Cocktails against tanks.

It sounds so festive.

It's important that the squad gunner lays covering fire with his BAR Mitzvah when you do that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGLRrQEBqAs

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Does anyone have a good source on the clothing worn by 18th century fur trappers and mountain men? Specifically construction of the iconic buckskin outfits.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Happy D-day! I would like to hear about the planning behind Operation Bagration's timing. Iirc Stalin had agreed to launch a major offensive against Germans within a month (or a few weeks?) of Overlord. When was the final date set? As Overlord was originally postponed from May due to weather, did this affect Bagration's timing? Was the occurence on Operation Barbarossa's anniversary just a happy coincidence or intended to boost troop morale?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's not really a pool, more of a glorified bathtub.

They had sauna on board as well.

e: here's a massive album of Typhoon-related images, from construction to scrapping. Includes pictures of sauna, arcade cabinet and escape pods.

https://imgur.com/a/xi3P3

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 6, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Gervasius posted:

It's not really a pool, more of a glorified bathtub.

They had sauna on board as well.

If my experience of Russian banya culture is any good, this would be filled with cold water. You stay in banya until you feel dizzy from the heat, then you plunge into the cold tub which is deep enough to have water to the neck when standing (or to your nipples if you are extra tall!). Repeat & rinse.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Gervasius posted:

e: here's a massive album of Typhoon-related images, from construction to scrapping. Includes pictures of sauna, arcade cabinet and escape pods.

https://imgur.com/a/xi3P3

I love this:

Also check out this site.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Happy D-day! I would like to hear about the planning behind Operation Bagration's timing. Iirc Stalin had agreed to launch a major offensive against Germans within a month (or a few weeks?) of Overlord. When was the final date set? As Overlord was originally postponed from May due to weather, did this affect Bagration's timing? Was the occurence on Operation Barbarossa's anniversary just a happy coincidence or intended to boost troop morale?

Wasn't it the other way around? Stalin had been asking the allies to open a second front since like, 1941, and the delays had been annoying him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bad D-Day trolling

Good D-Day trolling

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1136256630021087233

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

sullat posted:

Wasn't it the other way around? Stalin had been asking the allies to open a second front since like, 1941, and the delays had been annoying him.

Yes but these are separate things. Roosevelt and Stalin swayed Churchill to support invading northern France in Teheran in 1943. Stalin then agreed to launch their summer offensive about the same time.

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1937-1945/tehran-conf

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 6, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What was Churchill's other galaxy brain plan, land in Yugoslavia?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Agean90 posted:

the only reason the grand canyon isn't a necropolis is it's helorescue team and the combination of rangers and volunteers who roam the trials for people who decided they only need a bottle of water for a hike to the bottom

14 mile round trip hike at minimum to get to the river and back (without stopping at Phantom), and that's taking the steepest trail that doesn't have any sources of water.

and then there's the people who take the slightly longer, less steep trail down that does have sources of fresh water... and then take the steeper trail with no water up.

Frankly it's a miracle more people don't die here.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

GotLag posted:

Keep pushing in Italy and land in southern france (which ended up happening later anyways.)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Acebuckeye13 posted:

14 mile round trip hike at minimum to get to the river and back (without stopping at Phantom), and that's taking the steepest trail that doesn't have any sources of water.

and then there's the people who take the slightly longer, less steep trail down that does have sources of fresh water... and then take the steeper trail with no water up.

I did North Kaibab to Bright Angel with an overnight at Phantom a few years ago with some family. The amount of planning that went into the hike was considerable. We woke up early and started hiking in the dark so that we could be through The Box before 3pm when it would be dangerously hot. We all carried our own water. Drank often. And filled at almost every opportunity. Also had lots of snacks. Honestly I'm impressed my mom and aunt were able to plan all of it and manage to herd a dozenish people through the hike. No injuries, but one member did get tired and could no longer carry their pack.

The worst part was going up the switchbacks on Bright Angel. I had two massive blisters, one on each heel and it was pretty agonizing. The entire hike was amazing but it's one of those things I'll probably never do again.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

No kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhKZCy41g5w

(And don't forget the people who drown because "It isn't raining" and go into a wash.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I saw that the other night and I was laughing so hard I was in tears.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Grand Canyon is a beautiful place that hates you and will kill you dead if you let it.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

I imagine doing the amphibious landing on a coast that looks like this would be fun.

I mean, there are some other places maybe suitable for amphibious landing but entire eastern adriatic coast is basically "tiny strip of land and suddenly huge gently caress-off mountain".

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 6, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gervasius posted:

I imagine doing the amphibious landing on a coast that looks like this would be fun.

I mean, there are some other places maybe suitable for amphibious landing but entire eastern adriatic coast is basically "tiny strip of land and suddently huge gently caress-off mountain".

Yeah fundamentally impossible amphibious landings were Churchill's bread and butter brandy and bloodclot sausage.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

sullat posted:

Stalin aside, there wasn't enough amphibious transport capacity to do everything in 1943, either the mediterranean or pacific campaigns would've had to have been curtailed for a direct invasion of france in 1943. Obviously to Stalin these were trifles but the US and UK had plenty of good reasons for those operations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/katemond/status/1135863927483633664

I however, am making a finger innuendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I just read up on Erwin Gast's assault on the Factory Administration Building/Commissar's House during Operation Hubertus, and I found it put lies to a lot of the ideas of German military competence. Imagine you're in charge of the 50th Armoured Combat Engineer Battalion, and you've been tasked with attacking a massive, heavily fortified building that is nearly impervious to anything short of heavy artillery fire and lets the Red Army dominate the battlefield.

Do you:
a) Ignore offers of extra troops, because your pioneers are elite,
b) Choose not to ask for any tactical advice from veterans of Stalingrad, because you want to prove yourself to the older German officers,
c) Plan to attack a building with breaching charges that can't penetrate its walls,
d) Attack at night so your troops can't see where any weak points in the walls are,
e) Attack without suppressing the building's defenders,
f) Plan for your troops to retreat to shellholes within hand grenade range of the defender, if your attack fails,
g) All of the above

Anyway, I've been on a Stalingrad kicker lately. What were the nitty-gritty of house-to-house fighting in Stalingrad? How did German and Soviet troops go on about assaulting a building, and how did they go on about fighting from room to room? Like, which weapons do you bring to bear, where do you attack, how many soldiers do you need to attack the average Stalinka, etc.?