Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Alabama, New Jersey, Iowa, and Pennsylvania here: no difference that we can tell. I'll try a few ESL folks tomorrow, but I think we'll find the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008
I knew a guy in college who could only do voiced 'th', hearing him say the word thunder set my teeth on edge. Of course, he also had a really strong NY accent, so that didn't help.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I definitely pronounce them different. I say one with the other and it sounds really wrong.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

If you're thinking of the sound I think you are, it's usually written as "zh" to contrast "sh" and in English it occurs in pleasure, leisure, and measure.

Omg thank you yes I knew there were English words and a normal way to write it I just absolutely mental blanked on them and decided I must be mistaken.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Is there a difference between the vowel sound in “sin” and the vowel sound in “sing”

I have had endless arguments about this. I was raised in Texas with the world’s thickest swamp-hillbilly yall-hollerin accent, but I now have an extremely neutral American accent with the occasional unexpected twang. I hear “ih” and “eee” respectively in those words, and my OC-raised friend tells me that both vowels are “ih.”

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
They are different to most people. Your description matches how I hear it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

elise the great posted:

Is there a difference between the vowel sound in “sin” and the vowel sound in “sing”

I have had endless arguments about this. I was raised in Texas with the world’s thickest swamp-hillbilly yall-hollerin accent, but I now have an extremely neutral American accent with the occasional unexpected twang. I hear “ih” and “eee” respectively in those words, and my OC-raised friend tells me that both vowels are “ih.”

Phonemically? No. Phonetically? gently caress knows or cares :shrug:

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008
The "sin"/"sing" difference is for sure a dialectal change, with some dialects markedly having [i:] before the "ng" and some having [ɪ]. This is part of a pattern with lax vowels before velars: one of my friends has the "hay" diphthong for "egg", "leg", etc. There seems to be a tongue movement in making velars that makes preceding vowels sound more [i:]-like.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

elise the great posted:

Not in most British dialects; we say both with "ih".

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So you pronounce sin and sing the same?

Felonious_Monk posted:

The "sin"/"sing" difference is for sure a dialectal change, with some dialects markedly having [i:] before the "ng" and some having [ɪ]. This is part of a pattern with lax vowels before velars: one of my friends has the "hay" diphthong for "egg", "leg", etc. There seems to be a tongue movement in making velars that makes preceding vowels sound more [i:]-like.

Egg (and leg) rhymes with Hague for me. For my fiance it rhymes with beg.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

TheMaskedUgly posted:

There isn't.
All of those th sound the same, the difference is what comes after

How about 'this thistle'? Not arguing, just interested.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

bamhand posted:

So you pronounce sin and sing the same?

No of course not; "ng" and "n" don't sound the same. "N" is the sound at the start of "no", "ng" is the sound at the start of "Nguyen".

One Swell Foop posted:

How about 'this thistle'? Not arguing, just interested.

As a rule of thumb, "th" is almost always þ as in thorn, thief, thistle, throat, thing, throb et al.
It's ð in the, this, there, that, then, than, them, those and at the end of certain uncommon words like blithe, writhe, lithe and tithe.

Actually, question! For those of you who start "this" and "thief" with the same sound, do you also use that sound at the end of "writhe"?

The_White_Crane has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Jun 6, 2019

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
After you answer that tell us about "wraith" and "wreathe".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Like, in every one of those words, it's the vowel sounds that make them sound different?

This conversation is extremely bizarre

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

doverhog posted:

After you answer that tell us about "wraith" and "wreathe".

I'm a word nerd but not a presciptivist but verily who ever says "wreathe"?

I pronounce "foyer" correctly but this is silly.

Don't even get me started about how English is a Germanic language and Latin rules do not loving apply.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

if you have a lisp three and free are pronounced the same

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

There, that thick thot thief! Thwarted, though thrice thrown

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I wreathe you in my love baby. That's a translation from finnish though so maybe not in common use today.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Jun 6, 2019

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

every word sounds the same if you're dead

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

purple death ray posted:

Like, in every one of those words, it's the vowel sounds that make them sound different?

This conversation is extremely bizarre

It may depend on the dialect, but they are different consonant sounds with one being voice and the other not voiced, which just means that one involves vibration from the vocal chords and the other just air, which produces a slightly different sound even if the mouth position is the same.

I think it's subtle in a lot of words, but here's one where the difference was obvious to me: Thing and Father

e: more on these bad boys:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_dental_fricative
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_dental_fricative

Probably helps that most languages don't even have these.

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Jun 6, 2019

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

bell jar posted:

if you have a lisp three and free are pronounced the same

It's really hard to read Terry Pratchett's Discworld because all of these Igorth are juft paying tribute to Young Frankenshtien

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

doverhog posted:

"wreathe"

The noun or the verb?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Memento posted:

The noun or the verb?

Both. I'm insatiable.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Diarrhea is also known as "the runs."
It's not called that because one has to run to the bathroom, like I always thought.
It refers to the consistency of the waste.

I took some Pepto, I should be fine.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The garbage disposal has a plug under the sink that gives it power. If it stops working, you probably just have to plug it back in. Sometimes, follow up by pressing "reset" :downs:

I dunno how I thought it got power but I'm glad google exists and I didn't have to call the maintenance guy to plug in a plug for me

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The garbage disposal has a plug under the sink that gives it power. If it stops working, you probably just have to plug it back in. Sometimes, follow up by pressing "reset" :downs:

I dunno how I thought it got power but I'm glad google exists and I didn't have to call the maintenance guy to plug in a plug for me

If it sounds like it’s ground to a stop and won’t do anything else, sometimes there’s an Allen key slot at the bottom and you can manually turn it to clear the jam.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

No of course not; "ng" and "n" don't sound the same. "N" is the sound at the start of "no", "ng" is the sound at the start of "Nguyen".

Ok I can't picture how sin and sing have the same i sound then. I listened to some youtube videos on their pronunciation and they sound completely different.

Is that a thing? I know some people hear different sounds the same if they don't grow up saying things that way but this seems like it's the opposite of that.

e: I just spoke with my wife who studied linguistics, and apparently some people can't hear the difference between the two even though they pronounce them differently. So they can't hear the difference when they say it but other people can. Human brains are weird.

bamhand has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jun 8, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

To compare, try pronouncing singe with thr beginning of sing.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

The_White_Crane posted:

... is that a joke?

One sounds closer to "v" and the other sounds closer to "f". Try saying it out loud.
Unless you have an accent I've never heard before, they'll start with different sounds.

I'll admit there's a subtle difference between the beginning of They and Theif. No idea where you're getting a 'v' and 'f' sound from though. The former is closer to an 'L' The latter is just saying the same way but with a bit of a lisp.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Badger brand (and probably most of them) come with an Allen wrench that goes in a little nut on the bottom for freeing up the blades if they get a little stuck

So, if your disposal is locked up and keeps tripping the reset, try that before sticking fingats in or replacing it :)

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Cacafuego posted:

If it sounds like it’s ground to a stop and won’t do anything else, sometimes there’s an Allen key slot at the bottom and you can manually turn it to clear the jam.

goddammit

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Something I completely missed until I rewatched 8 mile recently.

This guy's an Avenger? His real name's Clarence.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The_White_Crane posted:

... is that a joke?

One sounds closer to "v" and the other sounds closer to "f". Try saying it out loud.
Unless you have an accent I've never heard before, they'll start with different sounds.

I need to hear you pronounce these because I don't hear that at all

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
This is the price of having a larger brain than neanderthals. Grunts and ughs were fine as long as the work got done.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
People just need to stop insisting things sound a certain way because they pronounce things differently. Accents exist and will always exist so what's the point in trying to argue things sound a certain way?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

starkebn posted:

People just need to stop insisting things sound a certain way because they pronounce things differently. Accents exist and will always exist so what's the point in trying to argue things sound a certain way?

I like the sound of that!

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
V is the voiced form of voiceless f
Th is the voiced form of voiceless th

Because we no longer use different letters to write those two sounds people think they're saying them the same because our brains are so wired based on how we read things

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

I have a slight Texan accent, my wife has a mostly midwest accent. That and thief have the same th sound.

I’m from Texas. They objectively don’t.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nlKNo1TGALA

There are voiced and unvoiced versions.

Like:
K-G
S-Z
Sh-French J
Ch-J
T-D
F-V
P-B

starkebn posted:

They are two different phonemes that have a long history of existence in practically all forms of English. Probably all forms but I don’t know. They were different letters before continental European printing presses arrived, that still exist in icelandic.

It’s not an accent thing, it’s a “this one combination was deliberately chosen to represent two different letters that could not be printed after we decided “ye” for “the” was confusing.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Jun 9, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

starkebn posted:

Sssssh you're ruining it :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Accents exist, but I find it neat when it's a case where I totally can't hear the difference but then someone explains it in a way that makes sense.