Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I do think that the recent couple of chapters with Twice were good, I think a lot of my current apathy is from the arc before where the thing that ostensibly I should care about (the class bonding together) had an arc about just that (the matches between the classes) and it was so dull.

One Piece is fine and never actually got, bad or anything IMO but it's felt like it has been spinning its wheels for years despite not actually doing so. I'm honestly not sure what an OP arc could look like now that could actually rope me back in in the same way as an Arabasta, Enies Lobby, etc., it feels like the "magic" of that story has sort of passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Every arc in One Piece since the time skip has worn it's welcome out imo. Dressrosa had a handful of cool moments stretched out over what felt like an eternity of grinding boredom and 5,000 new characters I flat out did not give a poo poo about.

Wano comes off to me like it's something Oda has wanted to do forever but again- zillions of new characters and spinning wheels in the mud to set up the big conflicts.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Reading the last chapter of seven deadly sins I had a random thought, what if mama Hawke was the sealed form of the Supreme Deity of the Goddess clan all along?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
One Piece has been at it's absolute best. Totland was a freaking blast and had one of the best Luffy fights in the series.
And so far every chapter in Wano has been amazing and filled to the brim with stuff that makes One Piece great.

I fully agree that Dressrosa went on too long and I get how that arc dragged down people's enthusiasm a bit. But hey! I didn't have a problem with the birdcage. So maybe I just have brain problems.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Reading the last chapter of seven deadly sins I had a random thought, what if mama Hawke was the sealed form of the Supreme Deity of the Goddess clan all along?

According to the sky island movie Hawk Mama is like the goddess of Chaos or something. So I don't think it's going to happen.
But it could. It would explain why she keeps an eye on Arthur, why she's so strong against demons (although the Chaos theory also explains that) and why she's Hawks mom. She noticed the Demon Kings influence and just stayed around him to raise him and keep an eye on things.

But if we're looking at reincarnations, it could also be Cath.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
endeavor's atonement gave us the funniest three panels in the entire series so i'm fine with it

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

*sluuuuuuuurp*

Also this moment was metal as gently caress
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/189/page/16

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 6, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I always took Endeavor's arc as him basically getting what he wanted and then realizing it didn't mean jack poo poo, and that it came with a lot of responsibilities on top of him realizing that his image of All Might was a complete fantasy that he tortured his family over. Like, he's still a gigantic piece of poo poo that should die but I think his arc so far has him realizing he probably has shut his own family off to him forever, and that the only thing he can do is try to be a legitimately good hero so they can have a future. It's fine if he wants to be less of a piece of poo poo; it'll just stretch everyone's credulity if his family just takes him back. There's some other shoes to drop there too, like Dabi.
He's been trying to atone for longer than we've seen, as he'd been sending his wife flowers and trying to visit her for some time prior to ranking up. So somewhere along the 10 years it's been since he broke his family apart he realized he not only could never overcome the wall that is All Might, but that he hosed up royally.

quote:

Basically we haven't reached peak forgiveness creep yet- we're not quite to the level of Nagisa's mom or Azami or Orochimaru.
If I remember correctly she's wanted a daughter, got a son, and then proceeded to make him as androgynous as possible correct? Been years since I revisited Assassination Classroom.

Fabricated posted:

Every arc in One Piece since the time skip has worn it's welcome out imo. Dressrosa had a handful of cool moments stretched out over what felt like an eternity of grinding boredom and 5,000 new characters I flat out did not give a poo poo about.

Wano comes off to me like it's something Oda has wanted to do forever but again- zillions of new characters and spinning wheels in the mud to set up the big conflicts.
More or less my situation with One Piece as well. Oda took everything he did in previous arcs (crew gets to an island, gets split up because of circumstances, meets the locals, engage in subplots to learn the circumstances, works their way back together for the climactic showdown) and inflated it by a couple degrees with how many people and sub-plots actually take place. And it's not been a smooth increase as Dressrosa was a slog, Whole Cake Island was a little better but I really didn't care Luffy's fight with Katakuri and the whole arc went on longer than it needed, Wano currently isn't faring much better than Dressrosa did for my interests.

Cool moments still happen but at this point I'd really just like it for there to be less going on so we can get on with it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm not sure what the appeal of one piece is anymore

i guess i just dgaf about most of the characters as written and you roll the dice every 100 chapter arc to see whether one of the few you do like are in focus at all. also accept that robin will never be involved in fights 🙃

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The sense of progression was a big part about OP's first half that made it fun; seeing the crew gradually get more notoriety was a simple but effective way to make various developments in the story have weight. Paradoxically though once they went past the time skip where the crew is now at the height of their prowess none of it seems to matter anymore. Ostensibly this is the part of the story where the crew has to deal with the Warlords and that seems to be happening but for whatever reason it's just not translating into actually entertaining arcs. I'm not sure what could've/should've been done differently but just in general feels like it's gotten way too long in the tooth. Like I don't think Oda could've rushed a lot of these arcs and still have them feel satasifying but at the very least I think I would've kept it more laser-focused in dealing with the Warlords; no need to bring in a Punk Hazard or Wano or what have you.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

No need to bring in Wano? The gently caress? Wano has been build up to for years! Luffy and co are taking on an emperor! One of the 4 big names in One Piece.

There has not been a single arc that felt unnecessary. Part of the charm of One Piece is that every little detail Oda brings up, matters. No matter how small or insignificant it is.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know what to tell you; you are technically correct in that it has been years since Punk Hazard but at no point have I bought in or cared about arriving at that eventual destination. Punk Hazard could've happened last week for all it feels like in the story and I had to actually stop and think for a few seconds where Dressrosa fits in. Also Kaido has not really been that heavily involved; it's been focused on Orochi and the country's politics which have been very dull.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah I could never get into one piece, I think I got halfway through thriller bark and just pieced out.

It has some cool moments but it never particularly hooked me.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sounds like you just got weary following a 21 year old series tbh. I cant agree with any of that, and in general WCI and Wano have been incredibly well received. Even tbp, the dude who spent literal years complaining about every single chapter, has loved these two arcs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know who that is but I am glad they are having fun. It's generally better, to enjoy things.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I can't really make myself follow OP from week-to-week anymore, but whenever I've been able to get back to it, it's been as comforting a read as ever.

it will also be the only long running shonen series i will follow for the rest of my life

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It wasn't 21 years when I was reading those arcs. It was like 12-13 years ago(jfc I'm old that was freshman year in college)

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 6, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I checked out at Fishman Island because the art felt like it got ridiculously muddled and I wasn't really invested in Hody's jobber crew.

Whole Cake Island was exciting to start out because hey, Sanji! But then it kinda became plodding and overlong too and spent forever on Luffy literally fighting a big bad's lieutenant that I simply could not give a poo poo about because I had no reason to really want to see him get beaten besides the fact he was in the way.

Anyway make Usopp the MC.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I think that's part of my problem is that the art is so loving busy it's extremely hard to parse what is going on.

Not to say Oda is a bad artist or anything, but something about that busyness and art style doesn't work for me.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think my biggest problems with One Piece are Oda's refusal to actually elaborate on the void century after all these years and even blue balled the readers with the Reverie arc, and because of this an entire character has been more or less side-lined because Robin's whole schtick is being the archeologist but despite having read multiple marker stones she's shed bubkiss about what she knows.

The other is that despite in Dressrosa, Luffy clarifying what he means when he says he wants to be king of the pirates as "the most free". This is still a battle shonen and it's abundantly clear that having a rubber body really needs to have it's effectiveness inflated so that it can stand in the realm of natural disasters that are the Admirals and Yonko. Haki was supposed to remedy this but everyone else gets it as well and they are still better at it than Luffy. The end result is that now more than ever Luffy is out of his league when going to an island to dispose it of the local tyrant. And this has made it frustrating that he keeps on surviving despite Luffy stubbornly charging headfirst into every conflict and then surviving because his opponents decide to prolong executing him for whatever reason they have. I don't care what explanation exists, Luffy should have died no less than 3 times on Whole Cake Island and it made the whole affair annoying as hell.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Brought To You By posted:

I think my biggest problems with One Piece are Oda's refusal to actually elaborate on the void century after all these years and even blue balled the readers with the Reverie arc, and because of this an entire character has been more or less side-lined because Robin's whole schtick is being the archeologist but despite having read multiple marker stones she's shed bubkiss about what she knows.
yeah

quote:

The other is that despite in Dressrosa, Luffy clarifying what he means when he says he wants to be king of the pirates as "the most free". This is still a battle shonen and it's abundantly clear that having a rubber body really needs to have it's effectiveness inflated so that it can stand in the realm of natural disasters that are the Admirals and Yonko. Haki was supposed to remedy this but everyone else gets it as well and they are still better at it than Luffy. The end result is that now more than ever Luffy is out of his league when going to an island to dispose it of the local tyrant. And this has made it frustrating that he keeps on surviving despite Luffy stubbornly charging headfirst into every conflict and then surviving because his opponents decide to prolong executing him for whatever reason they have. I don't care what explanation exists, Luffy should have died no less than 3 times on Whole Cake Island and it made the whole affair annoying as hell.
nope

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also the crew still being surprised at all when Luffy or another crew member ruins their plans because they get mad at an evil character doing something evil and clobber them.

They take it better but really at this point they should literally just be saying "okay yeah that's our plan but we'll do this whenever Luffy ends up getting mad at the strongest guy here and punches them"

I also agree on all the hanging plot threads we'll no doubt get to, but have been hanging for years. I really like Blackbeard as basically being Dark Luffy but he just sits cackling off frame for literal years.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i'm not sure what the appeal of one piece is anymore

i guess i just dgaf about most of the characters as written and you roll the dice every 100 chapter arc to see whether one of the few you do like are in focus at all. also accept that robin will never be involved in fights 🙃

Oh I am sure it's not the manga for you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fabricated posted:

Also the crew still being surprised at all when Luffy or another crew member ruins their plans because they get mad at an evil character doing something evil and clobber them.

thats what happens though

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

One Piece isn't for everyone, it's okay for people to not like things.

But it is definitely the best long-running shonen series and I don't think anyone else could have done what Oda's done to keep a series this fresh and fun for such an absurdly long time. Without taking years and years on hiatus, that is.

Wano is bonkers good and it's a shame that Dressrosa and Fishman Island ran overlong and burned some people out before they could get to Zou. Zou onward has been nonstop homeruns in my clearly unbiased opinion.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The Violence Action has returned!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still cannot visually parse Samurai 8.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Same I'm not really sure what it is but it's incredibly hard to follow. This is something that would probably work better animated. maybe coloring some panels could help?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's the lack of shading in general combined with visual clutter. I agree that it would look way better and easier to read in color- it almost feels like it was drawn with the intent of being colored the more I look at it.

As it is, it almost gives me a headache trying to figure out what's what at times.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my hero academia's one distinguishing trait is its setting, where nearly everyone everywhere has superpowers and society has tried to rearrange itself around that. it's more interesting when it's focusing on that aspect of itself, even tangentially, and less interesting when it's trying to be a standard shouty punchman comic, because for all his virtues Horikoshi isn't that great at drawing fight scenes. he made up for it for a while with midoriya pulverizing his own skeleton every time he threw a punch, because it added stakes to each fight and also punctuated the ridiculous, disproportionate self-sacrifice it was going to take to make it as a hero in that world, but then he learned to start kicking people and became a more typical protagonist, and most of his classmates are just as dull

the 1B arc was a drag because it just came down to bashing action figures against each other with their current circumstances totally ignored, sometimes uncomfortably so (like when one student joyously shouted that to be a hero you had to constantly push yourself to the brink of death - there's a lot to unpack there, but it's just treated as standard Shounen Hot-Bloodedness). the current arc is much better, not just because the League of Villains themselves are way more compelling (fewer characters, more developed histories, more inner conflict, they don't have a nation-wide super-police force and unlimited wealth to throw at all their problems), but also because the antagonists this time are basically a libertarian cult trying to exploit the Hero Society's disparity to hoard even more wealth and power for themselves. unfortunately for them the League are straight-up anarchists and gleefully ripping all that down on their way to bigger things

for much the same reason, Endeavor is one of the better characters (not people) in the comic and the only interesting member of his miserably dull family, including the one who's a totally-not-a-secret villain. the stratification of the Hero Society and obsession with rankings and fame endemic to his career drove the obsession that made him dehumanize and brutalize everyone around him, and then he suddenly achieved his goal on a technicality and it all turned to ash in his hands. the comic's done decent enough job of showing his attempt to navigate the shitshow that he's made of his life since - his family's views on him are "complicated" at best and he's now one of the most public figures in Japan with an ossuary full of barely-concealed skeletons in his closet - and i'm way more interested in seeing how Horikoshi sticks the landing on that then i am on watching another tedious batch of slice-of-life strips with midoriya and his fellow bubbly cops-in-training

bakugo no.1 don't @ me

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 7, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I totally get all that tbh. I like seeing the kids interact but the class stuff simply has no real stakes.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I like how (MHA spoilers re: Bakugo) the author subverted a trope with Bakugo. He's a brash, abrasive jerk, who's been an rear end in a top hat to the protagonist for a long time. And then he sees the protagonist, whom he always thought to be far inferior to himself, starting to catch up with him and even overtake him. He is super jealous about this. You expect Bakugo to pull a Sasuke and become a villain for the sake of power, for the sake of not being second-fiddle to anybody... And then the villains capture him, and offer him the chance to join them.

Bakugo's reply? "No. gently caress this. gently caress you. I'm a hero. gently caress off with that poo poo."

Bakugo is a good boy. I like Bakugo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mikl posted:

I like how (MHA spoilers re: Bakugo) the author subverted a trope with Bakugo. He's a brash, abrasive jerk, who's been an rear end in a top hat to the protagonist for a long time. And then he sees the protagonist, whom he always thought to be far inferior to himself, starting to catch up with him and even overtake him. He is super jealous about this. You expect Bakugo to pull a Sasuke and become a villain for the sake of power, for the sake of not being second-fiddle to anybody... And then the villains capture him, and offer him the chance to join them.

Bakugo's reply? "No. gently caress this. gently caress you. I'm a hero. gently caress off with that poo poo."

i never get tired of summarizing this

bakugo: if you untie me, i'm going to explode your face

villains: dude what don't untie him, he'll explode your face!

shigaraki: relax, he's not going to explode anyone's face. you're not going to explode anyone's face, are you bud- ARGH MY FACE

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would be super super down with an arc in MHA that was just, here's how a faction/aspect of society has adapted to a workforce or populace with extraordinary powers. Like most people probably have pretty minor powers that don't actually do all that much, but is there some sort of public pressure to put say electrical users (who don't render themselves stupid after using their powers) to work in the power generation department? Like how fire/lightning users in Legend of Korra basically work as batteries for the cities. What kind of push back and class divisions does that result in? What kind of discrimination? Are there tensions and divisions that result from how traditional militarizes and police force have to deal with what amounts to a nation-wide PMC?

I realize that all sounds very boring and un-shounen so in a sense I guess it's really just a long winded way of me saying "super hero battles can only keep my interest for a hot second".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Seems like something you're far more likely to get from a Korean Webcomic

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

Seems like something you're far more likely to get from a Korean Webcomic
I was pretty bummed out that The Gamer wasn't about the dude just kind of going through life thinking of funny/quirky ways of using his power to get ahead (see how his Dish Washing skill leveled up early on) and once it became about evil wizards and fighting and whatever it sucked.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
What MHA is something like the Great Lakes Avengers where a group of misfits with a bunch of weird useless quirks fight crime and/or each other.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mikl posted:

bakugo is very much not a good boy

he is a self-absorbed little poo poo who does everything for the wrong reasons but nonetheless does the right thing which is what makes him fun

e:

Fabricated posted:

The only way it'll end for Endeavor is him being forgiven one way or another. The only way it won't cause a riot in the fanbase is if he dies getting it.

this is my stance on it yeah, it's going to end with some kind of forgiveness and i'll be insanely salty about it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 7, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fabricated posted:

poo poo, I'm more invested in watching Shokugeki no Souma finally crash into the ground from the lofty heights it fell from than I am in loving Wano. But that's more out of morbid curiosity because IMO Shokugeki's fall is way more pronounced than even Bleach's- I've never seen a manga go from being generally well-liked, even popular to being essentially reviled like this. Bleach's last arc was kind of a parade of disappointment and everyone kinda realizing that Kubo was simply done with management/editorial at Jump and was suffering physically from the weekly publishing schedule- Shokugeki so Souma didn't fall off because it had to be wrapped up super-quick after introducing a zillion characters and the mangaka was dying, it fell off because it had an arc so bad the writer literally apologized for it on Twitter and then followed up with an arc that was somehow even worse.

what happened to this series anyway, I dropped it when that smell guy won the big competition and souma got chastised for not specializing enough(even though the entire premise of his character is "hey experimenting with foods is fun")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Nate RFB posted:

I would be super super down with an arc in MHA that was just, here's how a faction/aspect of society has adapted to a workforce or populace with extraordinary powers. Like most people probably have pretty minor powers that don't actually do all that much, but is there some sort of public pressure to put say electrical users (who don't render themselves stupid after using their powers) to work in the power generation department? Like how fire/lightning users in Legend of Korra basically work as batteries for the cities. What kind of push back and class divisions does that result in? What kind of discrimination? Are there tensions and divisions that result from how traditional militarizes and police force have to deal with what amounts to a nation-wide PMC?

I realize that all sounds very boring and un-shounen so in a sense I guess it's really just a long winded way of me saying "super hero battles can only keep my interest for a hot second".
Read the Vigilantes spinoff. Apart from being a more focussed story, it looks at how day-to-day life works in bizarro quirkworld.

There's a guy who overdosed on a quirk-boosting drug and became a huge mantis thing. He was forced to move to the semi-human district, where services are noticeably worse. It has a researcher talking about how early quirk users were divided into hero and villain not by their actions, but by their popularity. The key to being a successful and rich hero is being conventionally attractive.

The first couple chapters are extremely generic, but it rapidly finds itself and is consistently great now.