Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

this is a good video. i really like hbomb, contra, and philosophy tube, but as a black woman, i totally understand kat's frustration. i'm already seeing some goon dismiss the video as her just complaining about not being popular.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I don't watch her a lot, am subbed tho. But she is deffo right about this.

I mean lately with stuff in my own country I also had a bit of self doubt, for related reasons. I want to help/promote people and politics I support but I'm also afraid to put myself out there; and I can get away with that being a choice cause I'm white (and male) and not the target. Once my health clears up I am going to involve myself in a few local projects though.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 6, 2019

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Equeen posted:

this is a good video. i really like hbomb, contra, and philosophy tube, but as black woman, i totally understand kat's frustration. i'm already seeing some goon dismiss the video as her just complaining about not being popular.

contra and philosophy tube actually commented to her video as well which I thought was good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Equeen posted:

this is a good video. i really like hbomb, contra, and philosophy tube, but as a black woman, i totally understand kat's frustration. i'm already seeing some goon dismiss the video as her just complaining about not being popular.

the CSPAM/RGD binary is indeed very fascinating

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

lemonadesweetheart posted:

contra and philosophy tube actually commented to her video as well which I thought was good

It's kinda sad that they feel that they have to tbh, but I get why they did

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's kinda sad that they feel that they have to tbh, but I get why they did

Yeah definitely.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

There's no real denying that the bar seems to be set to stupidly high levels for leftist creators who aren't white compared to others (the inverse is perhaps true for grifters on the other side who can spout any old utter nonsense and still have an audience fawning over them being "One of the good ones"). It's not just that there's a lack of minority creators 'cause I can think of a good few right off the bat, but standards are definitely different -- whether it's due to their own standards constantly being interrogated compared to others, or something like when one creator puts something out there that's pretty over the top and extreme and that person then automatically representing ALL black leftist YouTubers in a way that would never happen if/when a white leftist YouTuber does something similar.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Pharohman777 posted:

Seriously, there are a bunch of people mad as hell at vox for getting YouTube to take action and blast everything in the vicinity of crowder. YouTube should have dealt with crowder, but not by using a dumb algorithm that doesn't know what historical footage is.

So, I don't know how many videos are on youtube but I know it's a lot. Like a loving fuckton of videos. And there's no way to personally view every possible video that has been uploaded. It's in no way feasible for Youtube to go and check each channel individually, either. I think they took the attitude that we take towards other cancers - sometimes you have to use a blowtorch on that poo poo. There's no way to completely avoid killing healthy cells. The goal is to get rid of the infestation. Once the operation is complete, you can begin to heal.

I suspect Youtube's plan is to demonetize anything that buzzes close to their algorithm. Then allow the people who got hit by the algorithm to submit to their live, human team to argue for their reinstatement. That's a lot easier to do and makes a lot more sense from a business perspective.

And that does mean that some people will slip through the cracks, yeah. Some people will end up being demonetized forever even though they maybe didn't deserve it. Sometimes that's the cost of doing business. Youtube isn't a charity.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Its because white male hetero-cis hegemony is still so absolute that even self-proclaimed leftists are still made deeply uncomfortable by the assertion that "identity" matters

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ashpanash posted:

Youtube isn't a charity.

gently caress this sentiment. Youtube and every other social media platform have vehemently resisted the mere notion of responsible moderation. It's not a matter of "oh there's just too much content!" Tthey could be doing a lot more to monitor and purge toxic elements, but they're not because those solutions cost money and they'd rather let the foxes run the henhouse than spend one single dime more than legally required to keep the problem in check.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Skippy McPants posted:

gently caress this sentiment. Youtube and every other social media platform have vehemently resisted the mere notion of responsible moderation. It's not a matter of "oh there's just too much content!" Tthey could be doing a lot more to monitor and purge toxic elements, but they're not because those solutions cost money and they'd rather let the foxes run the henhouse than spend one single dime more than legally required to keep the problem in check.

Right, because they're not a charity. From what I understand, they didn't even censor most of the content, right? They just demonitized it. In other words, Youtube isn't paying them money for their content anymore.

Yeah, I'd love for Youtube to have been faster about fixing toxic elements, but it's good that they're starting somewhere. And the more they have to pay people to monitor content, the less they will pay to content creators. Because again, they're not a charity. I mean, you can hate the sentiment all you want, it's still true.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they don't even have the proper channel to report content - shaun had to trick them into responding.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The phrasing "not a charity" is bullshit because it implies that content platforms don't have a responsibility to moderate the content the offer. Yes, they have often have no legal requirements—thanks to the capitalist hellscape we inhabit—but that's not an alibi for their refusal to make anything more than token efforts toward content oversight.

Edit: it's like saying factories shouldn't provide safe conditions for their workers, because hey, they're not running a charity!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There are plenty of things that aren't charities that don't actively seek to make a profit off of hate speech, which is what youtube currently does. They have decided they will not longer one particular person to produce hate speech but they wil still make money off that same hate speech, just like they refuse to take down the pedophile videos because they still want to make money off of them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

These are the big channels that have been banned or demonitized so far. (Crossposting from reddit:)

Deleted channels

Varg Vikernes (Thulean Perspective, makes videos about paganism)
Cultured Thug
Dennis Wise
Patrick Slattery
YouKipper
Ratatosk
The New Awakening
The Northwest Front
The Great Order
Holocaust Handbooks
Committee for Open Debate on the Holocaust
Xurious Music, Cybernazi (both music bands)
Mr Allsop History (history channel, got reinstated though)
New British Union
NPI/Radix (Richard Spencer)
TRS Radio
Burzum (music band)
Denying History (a channel dedicated to debunking (!) holocaust denial)
ID Amvrica / KPopRight (alt-right kpop music, didn't even know such a thing existed)
David Collier (produces pro-Israel videos)
The Paranormal Scholar (ghost hunting channel)

Demonetized channels

Steven Crowder (change my mind - the one that started it all)
Owen Benjamin (comedy / politics)
Luke Ford (politics)
Kommandant (was "deleted", channel seems to still be up though?)
James Allsup (connected to red ice tv I think)
Red Ice TV (swedish news channel)
Martin Sellner (head of the identity movement in Austria)
The Golden One (swedish bodybuilder? norse / pagan stuff)
Computing Forever (run-of-the-mill anti-sjw youtuber, similar to sargon)
The Red Elephants with Vincent James (same as above)
News2Share / Ford Fischer (documented Trump Rallies)
Boogie2988 (got all his old Francis videos demonetized)
Press For Truth
Jesse Lee Peterson (amazin')
SinatraSays (anti-sjw commentator)
Deep Fat Fried (leftist political channel)
secureteam10 (conspiratorial videos about aliens)
Dash Star (movie reviews)
Dragon Ball Hype (dragon ball z clips)
The Iconoclast (anti-sjw commentator)
Eli The Computer Guy (livestreaming revoked, not sure if demonetized)
Robert Gheorge (fortnite player, he really had it coming though, we all know that fortnite is a white supremacist videogame)
Joe Audritt (records people at the Speakers Corner)
Nightwave Radio / Revenge of the Cis

Videos removed

The Iconoclast
Angelo John Gage
Gavin McInnes
Milo
Red Ice TV
Black Pigeon Speaks
Drunken Peasants
Press For Truth
J.F Gariepy
PragerU (videos are in restricted mode)
Jack Green (white nationalist)
pagan / norse / gaelic music, can't confirm what channels though because I don't listen to that type of music

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Varg Vikernes' channel got hit? Aw! Couldn't happen to a nicer murdering Nazi jackass. Maybe he can go back to work on a second edition of his terrible racist power fantasy RPG.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

It seems like there was more correct identifications than false positives?

EDIT: I mean, it's still bad, but... less bad than I was thinking?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote:

???

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Describing The Golden One as "norse/pagan stuff" is maybe missing that he's a virulent misogynist.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ashpanash posted:

I think they took the attitude that we take towards other cancers - sometimes you have to use a blowtorch on that poo poo. There's no way to completely avoid killing healthy cells. The goal is to get rid of the infestation. Once the operation is complete, you can begin to heal.

Your argument might have held some water if YouTube had actually banned Crowder without giving him a way for him to get back in and /or they didn't say “Using racial, homophobic, or sexist epithets on their own would not necessarily violate either of these policies.”

Now it just looks like you're defending the idiots for being too lazy to fix their idiocy when they can't even hold literally the easiest moral stance of "Hey we're not assholes".

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Fil5000 posted:

Describing The Golden One as "norse/pagan stuff" is maybe missing that he's a virulent misogynist.

he's also a literal nazi

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You're both being redundant

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Describing Varg Vikernes as "paganism" is really burying the lead given that he's a literal convicted nazi murderer and arson who keeps putting out nazi poo poo. He should have got the chair.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

alt-right...k-pop? Um, ok then. Things have clearly broadened in the nazi musicsphere from the old days of Det Som Engang Var.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Describing Varg Vikernes as "paganism" is really burying the lead given that he's a literal convicted nazi murderer and arson who keeps putting out nazi poo poo. He should have got the chair.

Again, redundant

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grouchio posted:

These are the big channels that have been banned or demonitized so far. (Crossposting from reddit:)

Deleted channels

Varg Vikernes (Thulean Perspective, makes videos about paganism)
Cultured Thug
Dennis Wise
Patrick Slattery
YouKipper
Ratatosk
The New Awakening
The Northwest Front
The Great Order
Holocaust Handbooks
Committee for Open Debate on the Holocaust
Xurious Music, Cybernazi (both music bands)
Mr Allsop History (history channel, got reinstated though)
New British Union
NPI/Radix (Richard Spencer)
TRS Radio
Burzum (music band)
Denying History (a channel dedicated to debunking (!) holocaust denial)
ID Amvrica / KPopRight (alt-right kpop music, didn't even know such a thing existed)
David Collier (produces pro-Israel videos)
The Paranormal Scholar (ghost hunting channel)

Demonetized channels

Steven Crowder (change my mind - the one that started it all)
Owen Benjamin (comedy / politics)
Luke Ford (politics)
Kommandant (was "deleted", channel seems to still be up though?)
James Allsup (connected to red ice tv I think)
Red Ice TV (swedish news channel)
Martin Sellner (head of the identity movement in Austria)
The Golden One (swedish bodybuilder? norse / pagan stuff)
Computing Forever (run-of-the-mill anti-sjw youtuber, similar to sargon)
The Red Elephants with Vincent James (same as above)
News2Share / Ford Fischer (documented Trump Rallies)
Boogie2988 (got all his old Francis videos demonetized)
Press For Truth
Jesse Lee Peterson (amazin')
SinatraSays (anti-sjw commentator)
Deep Fat Fried (leftist political channel)
secureteam10 (conspiratorial videos about aliens)
Dash Star (movie reviews)
The Iconoclast (anti-sjw commentator)
Eli The Computer Guy (livestreaming revoked, not sure if demonetized)
Robert Gheorge (fortnite player, he really had it coming though, we all know that fortnite is a white supremacist videogame)
Joe Audritt (records people at the Speakers Corner)
Nightwave Radio / Revenge of the Cis

Videos removed

The Iconoclast
Angelo John Gage
Gavin McInnes
Milo
Red Ice TV
Black Pigeon Speaks
Drunken Peasants
Press For Truth
J.F Gariepy
PragerU (videos are in restricted mode)
Jack Green (white nationalist)
pagan / norse / gaelic music, can't confirm what channels though because I don't listen to that type of music

least some good came out of this. surprised pragerU got hit and that milo had videos.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this dumb mutherfucker.

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/1136481207594704896

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm glad Boogie favored us with a statement. I was on the edge of my seat.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Now it's time for me to once again pull all the splinters out of my crack

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Again, redundant
That's unfair to the like 5 neopagans hippies who just want to be able to claim weed as a religious ritual.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kim Justice posted:

alt-right...k-pop? Um, ok then. Things have clearly broadened in the nazi musicsphere from the old days of Det Som Engang Var.

k-pop is everything nazis love - attractive, easily-fetishized people performing in perfect sync with aggressive social consequences for individuality or free expression, especially for women.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Unfortunately I don't think anyone who watches this video isn't already converted. Kat Blaque has every reason to rant about how most viewers in Breadtube will only listen to white people, but what can anyone do about that? Natalie Wynn has implored her viewers to check out more POC creators and listen to them as well. That's as good as we can do. I think this is a problem where a lot of people with internalized racism are more willing to check out white creators and hear their thoughts on stuff.

Does Vox actually have anything to do with this? I know Carlos Maza is employed by Vox but the pressure to ban Crowder came from Maza himself and his allies on Twitter. Of course, this #VoxAdpocalypse could just be a smear campaign to attack Vox so they'll punish Maza more directly than Crowder ever could.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it was carlos, boogie is a loving idiot.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

DoubleCakes posted:

Unfortunately I don't think anyone who watches this video isn't already converted. Kat Blaque has every reason to rant about how most viewers in Breadtube will only listen to white people, but what can anyone do about that? Natalie Wynn has implored her viewers to check out more POC creators and listen to them as well. That's as good as we can do. I think this is a problem where a lot of people with internalized racism are more willing to check out white creators and hear their thoughts on stuff.

I think a lot of it is even simpler too, which is just that people watch what other people watch. I'd bet a majority of people who watch HBomb or Contra outright don't watch anyone who isn't super popular, POC or non-POC, which is very unfortunate when as noted there are basically no big POC creators in the leftytube sphere.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm not the biggest fan of Kat (she is fine) but T1J is legit good.

Anyway I barely know this channel but this is an essential video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxElH6dFxx8

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I've always felt weird about calling that corner of youtube "lefttube" or "breadtube", as a whole it's not that their content is bad but that the only ones I can think of who discussed theories and praxis of leftism with any regularity as opposed to primarily responding to alt-right content are badmouse and to a lesser degree olly, and even then badmouse isn't always included in that grouping.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Terrible Opinions posted:

Fil5000 posted:

Grouchio posted:

(Crossposting from reddit:)

:thunk:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

I've always felt weird about calling that corner of youtube "lefttube" or "breadtube", as a whole it's not that their content is bad but that the only ones I can think of who discussed theories and praxis of leftism with any regularity as opposed to primarily responding to alt-right content are badmouse and to a lesser degree olly, and even then badmouse isn't always included in that grouping.

There are plenty of economics lectures and angry marxists and anarchists (mexxie for example), but they don’t put effort into performance and production because their passion lies elsewhere.

I think it’s fine for there to be a flashy wide end at the radicalization tunnel that keeps things simple. I’d actually be fine with some lib channels that mostly exposed fascists and maybe critiqued capitalism a little. One of the reasons fascism is experiencing a global resurgence is that they have a whole pipeline set up to convey dumb white boys from inchoate resentment to bomb-building. People like sargon are essentially racist, hateful liberals, at least in terms of public presentation, and their service to the nazis is starting dumb white fucks on their journey to a mass shooting. The left could stand to have more of that but angled toward something good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
my spicy hot take is lefttube is so white because it was mainly formed as a reaction to nazi-tube and there's kinda a weird obsession in that with 'winning over the alt right' and all and weeeeelp a black leftist woman who understands the intersections of race and class ain't gonna do that like a nice white lady telling them they're actually not bad just confused while hooking up with an apartheid apologist who kinda sorta 'broke with the alt-right' because shock of shock they're also transphobic as well as racist.

Like, alt-right bullshit is confrontational while leftist bullshit on youtube is mainly reactive and 'oh dear no you don't really think that right?' rather than focusing on actual education beyond the most base concepts of 'perhaps...gays....not bad?' Lefttube needs to move beyond 'conversion efforts' and focus on education and activism if it wants to really talk about the issue of 90% of the big community being of similar backgrounds.