Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

GhostStalker posted:

Who’d you have running your audition? Maggie, Corina, or someone else? The two I mentioned are good people, especially Maggie.

I think it was Corina running mine but I'm terrible with names. She told us a lot about how she's the one in charge of converting our anecdotes to Alex's little cards and coaching us on the stories the day of shooting and stuff.

Funniest moment of the day is her inadvertently dropping an f-bomb when telling us how important it is to immediately select a new clue (something very few people seemed able to remember to do, same with speaking loudly...thankfully I didn't have to be corrected, since I'm sure that factors in).

She was talking about how that always leads to a few clues being left uncovered on the board, and she said something like, "How much do you love it, as a viewer, when it's ALWAYS a category you love and there are two fuckin' clues....oops."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, this. Good edit and all that, with people convinced he’s more “classy” than Jennings, or even humble. Dude is super self-aggrandizing, going off of what I know of people who have interacted with with him IRL and online over long periods of time.

On the other hand, I also get this. I just wish the guy who did it had a better overall personality, and not just the one that the cameras wanted you to see or whatever.

I've seen that sentiment before about him being humble and likeable but I can't help but think they watched a different show than me. I found him intensely dull, to the point he himself was falling asleep "what is ____? ok next question *yawn*" and I couldn't wait for him to leave. But I only saw the last few episodes, so maybe he was better earlier.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

From what I've read, it has less to do with his personality and more with someone playing the game "right." The Serious Jeopardy Watchers have been screaming for people to bet big on Daily Doubles for years. And it makes sense: most contestants get most questions right, so logically if you're in that situation you should feel good about betting on yourself unless you really hate the category. And if you do, why did you pick that clue?

If you've enjoyed his play style it's probably hard to go back to watching people play mostly top down and betting relatively small.

i do think he's the first to do daily doubles "right" and i think i said so in the thread early in his run. there's nothing more annoying than people wimping out on them. you're there to win.

PT6A posted:

Yes, and? You can get pissed off about that but it has nothing to do with not wanting to work a 9 to 5. Austin didn’t work a 9 to 5 either and probably didn’t want to.

I’m in an industry where there’s no such thing as a standard schedule, so forgive me if it rubs me the wrong way that people claim not wanting to work a “standard” job makes you rich and/or lazy.

a "9-5" means you have to work to live. in the context of him saying it he was talking about how he can go on vacation for a month or whatever whenever he likes and has no boss. i even forgot about the whole "took a whole year to study" poo poo.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 6, 2019

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I think it was Corina running mine but I'm terrible with names. She told us a lot about how she's the one in charge of converting our anecdotes to Alex's little cards and coaching us on the stories the day of shooting and stuff.

Funniest moment of the day is her inadvertently dropping an f-bomb when telling us how important it is to immediately select a new clue (something very few people seemed able to remember to do, same with speaking loudly...thankfully I didn't have to be corrected, since I'm sure that factors in).

She was talking about how that always leads to a few clues being left uncovered on the board, and she said something like, "How much do you love it, as a viewer, when it's ALWAYS a category you love and there are two fuckin' clues....oops."

Just finished my audition. Yeah, that was Corina. No F bombs, but I was a little surprised by her PG-13 language at times.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Jesus Christ. So apparently the standard for jeopardy now is you either win 20+ games, or you just suck.

It’s like professional sports. Dude that “sucks” and plays the 4th line in hockey, or practice team NFL, or backup in baseball would wipe the floor with pretty much any non professional in their respective sports. So all these hot takes of “well, she got something wrong, so she obviously sucks” are just the loving worst.

Are you high? I literally said she is good and hope she wins a lot.

Groovelord Neato posted:

a "9-5" means you have to work to live. in the context of him saying it he was talking about how he can go on vacation for a month or whatever whenever he likes and has no boss. i even forgot about the whole "took a whole year to study" poo poo.

This is completely normal for 1099 workers. You work until you have enough money for the tax year, and then you stop (sure for some people there's no such thing as enough). You don't get paid vacations, so you have to work hard to earn enough to afford not getting paid for a month.

Most people who work a "normal" job do so because, like most Jeopardy contestants, they are risk averse. Working for yourself or starting a business is highly risky in the best of circumstances, at least to begin with. And working as a sports bettor means you're just a bad run of luck away from ruin.

User fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 6, 2019

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Zack posted:

Just finished my audition. Yeah, that was Corina. No F bombs, but I was a little surprised by her PG-13 language at times.

Did you guys do two written tests, too? Curious if that's every group or if I was just lucky like that.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Did you guys do two written tests, too? Curious if that's every group or if I was just lucky like that.

We did two in LA, may... 10th?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

User posted:

Most people who work a "normal" job do so because, like most Jeopardy contestants, they are risk averse. Working for yourself or starting a business is highly risky in the best of circumstances, at least to begin with. And working as a sports bettor means you're just a bad run of luck away from ruin.

he comes from wealth.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zakharov posted:

From what I've read, it has less to do with his personality and more with someone playing the game "right." The Serious Jeopardy Watchers have been screaming for people to bet big on Daily Doubles for years. And it makes sense: most contestants get most questions right, so logically if you're in that situation you should feel good about betting on yourself unless you really hate the category. And if you do, why did you pick that clue?

If you've enjoyed his play style it's probably hard to go back to watching people play mostly top down and betting relatively small.

One reason I was sad to see him go is that I didn't want to see the sad tiny wagers return to the show. :( And, of course, I'll instinctively root for anyone who's close to breaking a record of some kind.

Emma seems cool though. She killed the king and that's rad.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

christmas boots posted:

One reason I was sad to see him go is that I didn't want to see the sad tiny wagers return to the show. :( And, of course, I'll instinctively root for anyone who's close to breaking a record of some kind.

Emma seems cool though. She killed the king and that's rad.

I've been watching old seasons on Hulu to practice (until fairly recently I wasn't watching that often ever since I cut cable and never see live tv anymore....they really need to put the full episodes up on some service for people like me). It's been really weird going back to the conservative, nervous betting on DDs.

That said, I get it. Each time I try to figure out what I would do and it's usually way higher. The woman I just saw end her 6 game streak in one game was at like 16,000 and the next highest was 5000ish and she only wagered 1000. I get it....but I'd probably wager more like 6000 so I still have double second place so I can go into final unable to lose, but I stand to win so much more if I get it right.

There's a balance between ensuring you win and also trying to make sure that win matters. It was so sad that the champ I just mentioned went out by everyone getting final wrong (I love when I get it and none of the contestants do) and the woman who was in third won by wagering $0, the second place guy lost all but $100, and the champ finished about 2 grand under the new champ. I think her bid was correct given the totals going into final, BUT had she bid more aggressively on her last DD, she would have not had to wager so much in final to stay ahead of 2nd place and consequently finished behind third's unchanged total (whose wager was so smart given the other two's totals....if anyone else got it right she got nowhere, so she played to her odds that both of them need to get it wrong).

These wagers are way more complicated than people seem to think they are, and as a guy who made his living with online poker until that poo poo got shut down, I can definitely see where James' background gave him a boost in that regard.

Also, Emma rules.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

he comes from wealth.

That has no bearing on his unusually high risk tolerance or choice to work for himself. Plenty of people from wealthy families choose low risk careers.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I've been watching old seasons on Hulu to practice (until fairly recently I wasn't watching that often ever since I cut cable and never see live tv anymore....they really need to put the full episodes up on some service for people like me). It's been really weird going back to the conservative, nervous betting on DDs.

You can watch Jeopardy! for free using an antenna. A tuner + antenna can be had for about $60. And there is some surprisingly good stuff broadcast in most areas. PBS has a lot of quality shows that might also help for trivia knowledge.

Edit:
Oh yeah for sure, I just meant as an additional resource to watch the latest shows in addition.
VVV

User fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 6, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

User posted:

You can watch Jeopardy! for free using an antenna. A tuner + antenna can be had for about $60. And there is some surprisingly good stuff broadcast in most areas. PBS has a lot of quality shows that might also help for trivia knowledge.

This is true, but you can usually only watch two episodes of Jeopardy per day with an antenna. On Hulu you can watch all of season 30.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
An antenna also still requires me to watch live at a very specific time. It's 2019, Jeopardy, that's not how poo poo works anymore.

EDIT: I could watch on Sling, which I have, but again, having to tune in at exactly 7pm every day and all that (I have it mostly for the on-demand stuff for current shows that don't get put on Hulu, and for football season).

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 6, 2019

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

User posted:

Edit:
Oh yeah for sure, I just meant as an additional resource to watch the latest shows in addition.
VVV
I got one for $10 at Target myself a couple weeks back. My brother had been using a Roku Stick with his TV, and took it with him when he moved out. I bought the antenna so I no longer had to go to like diners and hotel lounges and bars to watch Jeopardy, but my timing was so terrible that I usually wind up watching the show out of the house anyway.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The Zack posted:

Nice. As I said, Corina is good people. She’s the woman who fields Jeopardy referral emails (at least, she’s the person whose email they tell us to give to potential contestants). I guess Robert, the guy who used to cover the anecdotes on our cards given to Trebek, retired. He was pretty old when I got there.

Guess you’ve yet to meet Maggie. She’s a powerhouse of positive energy, it’s amazing how at least she can put nervous people like contestants. Something more to look forward to if you wind up getting the call and all that.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That said, I get it. Each time I try to figure out what I would do and it's usually way higher. The woman I just saw end her 6 game streak in one game was at like 16,000 and the next highest was 5000ish and she only wagered 1000. I get it....but I'd probably wager more like 6000 so I still have double second place so I can go into final unable to lose, but I stand to win so much more if I get it right.

Buzzy Cohen mentioned that in his runaway wins he just slammed $0 and didn't think about it -- one less decision to make in a stressful day of back-to-back games.

Then again, if you're a certain Professional Gambler From Las Vegas Nevada and you correctly FJ 97% of the time, it's probably wise to make hay while the sun shines.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yes, for the same reasons you mentioned. I thought the 2nd test was slightly easier, as did most of the other auditioners.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Zack posted:

Yes, for the same reasons you mentioned. I thought the 2nd test was slightly easier, as did most of the other auditioners.

Yup, if you took the same ones we did I thought the same.

drat you Emma Stone :argh:

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yup, if you took the same ones we did I thought the same.

drat you Emma Stone :argh:

I got that one :shrug:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Zack posted:

I got that one :shrug:

It just bugs me because it was so easy and my brain just imploded. I hate when you can see someone's face, hear their voice, name a dozen things they've been in and they character they played....and not remember their name somehow.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

User posted:

That has no bearing on his unusually high risk tolerance or choice to work for himself. Plenty of people from wealthy families choose low risk careers.

how is this extremely simple concept so difficult for you.

he probably never had to ever have a "real" job. that's why him saying he can't imagine himself in one or having a boss or whatever comes across as so lovely.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Was James eliminated before his first episode even aired? Do you think contestants who are taping this week and after will use the James betting strategy?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Whelp

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Was James eliminated before his first episode even aired? Do you think contestants who are taping this week and after will use the James betting strategy?

Yeah, these episodes taped in mid March. James’s first episode didn’t air until April.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Emma is still my friend:colbert:

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It just bugs me because it was so easy and my brain just imploded. I hate when you can see someone's face, hear their voice, name a dozen things they've been in and they character they played....and not remember their name somehow.

Yeah, that happens to me all the time. Plus that was the 99th question of the day, so don't fret it.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

how is this extremely simple concept so difficult for you.

he probably never had to ever have a "real" job. that's why him saying he can't imagine himself in one or having a boss or whatever comes across as so lovely.

The only simple thing I see is that you're salty because you're jealous and resentful. It's not a good look. Nobody has to have a boss, going freelance is always an option, regardless of how much money their parents have or don't have.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Weird jobs are still real jobs. Getting worse gamblers to give you their money is a genuine skill. It's hard work, and few people can do it. Ditto getting people to give you two million dollars for answering trivia questions.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

User posted:

The only simple thing I see is that you're salty because you're jealous and resentful. It's not a good look. Nobody has to have a boss, going freelance is always an option, regardless of how much money their parents have or don't have.

Yikes!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

To momentarily derail us from this absurd slap-fight over whether or not rich people have advantages in life, how do folks think the ken/brad/james showmatch is going to go?

will it just be a 3-player X game "Total Point Affair" or something, or will they do a big tournament with other players included? Also, are they ever going to make legitimately challenging questions for this stuff? Like, in the all-star two-game final there were only 10 clues that went unanswered total, and that was with significantly weaker players (relatively, obv) taking some of the rounds. Let's get crazy. Ask some absolutely wild poo poo for half the questions. Anything to get it away from being a pure buzzer race.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica

User posted:

I think it’s not a good look to be dumb as poo poo!

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Saucy_Rodent posted:

I think it’s not a good look to be dumb as poo poo!

I agree!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Spokes posted:

To momentarily derail us from this absurd slap-fight over whether or not rich people have advantages in life, how do folks think the ken/brad/james showmatch is going to go?

will it just be a 3-player X game "Total Point Affair" or something, or will they do a big tournament with other players included? Also, are they ever going to make legitimately challenging questions for this stuff? Like, in the all-star two-game final there were only 10 clues that went unanswered total, and that was with significantly weaker players (relatively, obv) taking some of the rounds. Let's get crazy. Ask some absolutely wild poo poo for half the questions. Anything to get it away from being a pure buzzer race.

:siren: Hot take :siren:: Brad wins, Ken comes in third, everybody continues to forget that Brad exists and talks about how James finally beat Ken.

Bonus hot take: Alex announces his retirement at the end of the game.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Cockblocktopus posted:

:siren: Hot take :siren:: Brad wins, Ken comes in third, everybody continues to forget that Brad exists and talks about how James finally beat Ken.

Every time Brad’s on TV I say “alright, THIS time he won’t win” (because he’s been absurdly fortunate in so many spots) (as anyone with that streak would have to be) and then I’m wrong!

So yeah I’m with you

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure if James could bet on it, he'd bet on Not-Brad, because variance and the odds bookies would be giving for Brad-Wins.

It's kind of annoying how Brad was capped at 5, so it's really hard to know how good he really is. I mean beyond being one of the best, obviously. It's just for Ken and James we have so much more data. Sudden elimination games are super variance dependent obviously. That's part of what makes this show so fun. There's a reason televised Chess never took off after all.

Edit: Ken is the best at most wins and regular game total earnings, James is the best at making money per regular game, and Brad is the best at never losing and making the most money. Gotta say that kind of points to Brad being the GOAT. But in terms of answer % James is unreal. 97% on final and 94% on doubles is best in class. The Brad, Ken, and James three-way will be totally excellent to watch.

User fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 7, 2019

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Spokes posted:

Every time Brad’s on TV I say “alright, THIS time he won’t win” (because he’s been absurdly fortunate in so many spots) (as anyone with that streak would have to be) and then I’m wrong!

So yeah I’m with you
Ken outplayed Brad in the Watson game but everyone forgets about it because he didn't win

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain von Trapp posted:

Weird jobs are still real jobs. Getting worse gamblers to give you their money is a genuine skill. It's hard work, and few people can do it. Ditto getting people to give you two million dollars for answering trivia questions.

no.

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, these episodes taped in mid March. James’s first episode didn’t air until April.

slate did an article about emma and how weird it was trebeck kept bringing up james since this was all taped before he became a phenom. it's not like she watched him dominate as we did.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Groovelord Neato posted:

slate did an article about emma and how weird it was trebeck kept bringing up james since this was all taped before he became a phenom. it's not like she watched him dominate as we did.

I'm pretty sure this was about him maintaining Jeopardy kayfabe. Even though it's widely known that they tape a week of shows in a day far in advance, they'll almost never acknowledge that on air. Remember when he was pretending that Twitter would decide if he kept his mustache?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zakharov posted:

I'm pretty sure this was about him maintaining Jeopardy kayfabe. Even though it's widely known that they tape a week of shows in a day far in advance, they'll almost never acknowledge that on air. Remember when he was pretending that Twitter would decide if he kept his mustache?

I'm pretty sure that most nationally syndicated weekday shows do that. I know the Jerry/Maury/Steve afternoon trash block does that, and I'm sure that everything else does something similar. I suspect it's at least partially a holdover from the pre-internet days when you had to copy and ship physical tapes of the episodes to the local stations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Spokes posted:

Quadruple rhyme time, Shakespeare characters that only have one line, Alex opens the Bible to a random page. I'd add sports that aren't known well in America but James has probably taken action on poo poo like Bandy to keep it interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

User posted:

lmao