Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It all boils down to your personal ISP though. So Google could invent time machines for all I care, the last mile is gonna make or break it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I wanted to get in on stadia, but we still have no clue how the library will work. I like that blue controller but I'm gonna hold on to my money for now.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Rough gamelist for Stadia (from their website)

quote:

DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE 2
DOOM Eternal
Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Destiny 2
Power Rangers: Battle For The Grid
Baldur's Gate 3
Metro Exodus
Thumper
GRID
SAMURAI SHODOWN
Football Manager 2020
Get Packed
The Elder Scrolls Online
The Crew 2
The Division 2
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Ghost Recon Breakpoint
Trials Rising
NBA 2K
Borderlands 3
Farming Simulator 19
Mortal Kombat 11
Rage 2
FINAL FANTASY XV
Gylt
Tomb Raider Trilogy
Darksiders Genesis
Just Dance 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Codeacious posted:

As someone who works in datacenter networks, Google's infrastructure is absolutely ridiculous. They focus on low-latency RPC calls at all parts of the networking stack, and have the tech to back it up.

I'll believe it when I see it

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

An amazing lineup with ONE exclusive!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Sometimes I hit right arrow on google's youtube website to skip forward 5 seconds and it takes more than 5 seconds to figure out how to do that and I get mad that I should've just sat through it.

I am on a 500 Mbps connection

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Google's track record of totally not abandoning most of their new services doesn't inspire me with confidence either

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

I wanted to get in on stadia, but we still have no clue how the library will work. I like that blue controller but I'm gonna hold on to my money for now.

Its pay full price to stream game. Pay additional sub to stream collection of old game and go above 1080p

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

haveblue posted:

How would this improve the path from the datacenter to the customer's home?

A few reasons:
- Google has a greater number of edge networks they control
- They have a lot of long-haul backbone links
- In places without edge networks they fully own, they have enough pull to get racks in ISP networks that go straight to their network backbone

Additionally, a lot of the problems with large-scale streaming services (in any form) aren't always caused by wide-area failures, but network inefficiency/delays in the datacenter itself. Previous services don't even have a tenth of the experience Google has with that; a significant of the work I cite in my own research is published by Google.

Popete posted:

It all boils down to your personal ISP though. So Google could invent time machines for all I care, the last mile is gonna make or break it.

This is still a huge factor; as I said above, Google often inserts themselves into ISP datacenters in order to provide better service. However, this isn't absolutely ubiquitous- the biggest question is how well they plug up those gaps.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Real hurthling! posted:

Its pay full price to stream game. Pay additional sub to stream collection of old game and go above 1080p

god I had already forgotten about the "pay $10/mo to actually get 4k/60fps streaming" jesus google this is gonna be a trashfire

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have little use for Stadia because I'm on a capped connection and already bought into a Gsync monitor, but a friend with a 2500K and an budget GPU and a better ISP than what's in my city could use that.

MagusDraco posted:

god I had already forgotten about the "pay $10/mo to actually get 4k/60fps streaming" jesus google this is gonna be a trashfire

Charging people extra for 4K isn't the most absurd thing. 4K is exponentially more resource-intensive for Netflix, and Netflix isn't doing rendering.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Andrast posted:

Google's track record of totally not abandoning most of their new services doesn't inspire me with confidence either

This is honestly the biggest issue for me. I have fast enough internet and I don't mind the $10 a month or whatever, but if google is gonna kill the project in two or one and a half years or whatever, why the gently caress would I invest in it? Microsoft and Sony at least have a history of sticking with projects to improve them over time rather than killing them outright.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I mean, they didn't even mention if they were gonna add to that library. None of the games listed make me want to pay to play. Just the Ubisoft games alone will be given away for free at some point.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pylons posted:

This is honestly the biggest issue for me. I have fast enough internet and I don't mind the $10 a month or whatever, but if google is gonna kill the project in two or one and a half years or whatever, why the gently caress would I invest in it? Microsoft and Sony at least have a history of sticking with projects to improve them over time rather than killing them outright.

I am a little worried about it, but I think I'll likely try it o the subscription model, just not buy any new games and go with whatever free content they chuck my way.

e;

bushisms.txt posted:

I mean, they didn't even mention if there were gonna add to that library. None of the games listed make me want to pay to play. Just the Ubisoft games alone will be given away for free at some point.

Website confirms they'll add to the freebies regularly

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

given how Sony has been with this lately I'm guessing "no" lol

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

mehall posted:

Website confirms they'll add to the freebies regularly

So it's 9.99($30) a month and you can buy the starter pack for 3 months plus a controller that's 69.99 for 129.99. plus it comes with a 3 month buddy pass (that's worthless unless your friend also has a Chromecast ultra). So you're still starting out down $20 down that they think destiny 2 makes up for.

Not feeling it and I was a mark for this service from the beta.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

if they cancel it, you stop paying $10 a month. I wouldn't buy games exclusively for it for full price if you think it's gonna crash and burn, but it not being a big upfront investment is like half the point of it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Maybe I'm just out of touch with modern gaming tastes, but none of those games grabbed me as "console seller."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They're almost all games that have been on sale for a deep discount elsewhere.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Re: Destiny 2, there's also rumor that it's gonna be F2P on Steam soon...

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Probably just the base game and then you buy in to the dlc. They already gave it away for free on bnet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bushisms.txt posted:

Probably just the base game and then you buy in to the dlc. They already gave it away for free on bnet.

Yes, the rumor is that that's going to be permanent for all players going forward. The free part is "year 1" which is the base game and the Osiris and Warmind expansions. You still have to buy Forsaken, the 3 expansions in the current annual pass, and any expansions after.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

THey specifically confirmed it's the full experience you're getting on Stadia Pro

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

do we have a 'making GBS threads on e3' discord this year?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

mehall posted:

THey specifically confirmed it's the full experience you're getting on Stadia Pro

That's only if you get the controller pack I think

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deviant posted:

do we have a 'making GBS threads on e3' discord this year?

Im part of a big goon discord that has an E3 channel that can be used, but if there is a dedicated e3 server, thats cool. lmk

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Does Google even own any dev studios?

That really should be a prerequisite to putting out hardware.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

contacting my accountant to try to understand this

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

exclusive Stadia name??? Where do I sign up!

find me on Stadia... I'm tom

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

That's only if you get the controller pack I think

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The wow moment with stadia is clicking a link or pressing buy and instantly playing a game. It's so weird that instead of leading off with that, they're launching with a subscription service and exclusive hardware.

It's not even a subscription service with a bunch of games, it's literally just Destiny 2. The only other benefit we know about with this pro service is 4K and 5.1. Who the gently caress has 4K and 5.1 and doesn't already have a way to play Destiny 2?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Oh dear, streaming games are gonna end up like streaming video. There's gonna be a dozen different streaming game companies, each one with their own exclusives. It's gonna be a loving mess.

Maybe I was wrong. Stadia doesn't look like it's gonna be a big success that everybody is gonna try to emulate

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I'm so confused lol

I just sold my Nintendo stock so I might buy this just because I can and already got permission. But the 3 month buddy pass is super dumb still because they won't have the hardware.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bushisms.txt posted:

I just sold my Nintendo stock so I might buy this just because I can and already got permission. But the 3 month buddy pass is super dumb still because they won't have the hardware.

They won't have basically any controller and something that can run Chrome?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm so confused lol

don't buy this you loving moron

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Playing MK11 on a streaming platform sounds insane, but then again something like 80-90% of everyone who ever buys a fighting game never plays a single ranked match.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The trick is the devs making an 'Avoid players on Stadia' connection option.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

They won't have basically any controller and something that can run Chrome?

Chrome anywhere isn't until an unspecified time next year. It's only through a chromecast(ultra?) at launch.

an actual dog posted:

don't buy this you loving moron

I don't have a pc worth anything and the beta was legit.:shrug: If I can get games I want without the hardware, I'm down. I'm still waiting to see what the xbox pass for PC is gonna be though. If they have mostly the same games I'll probably just stick with it as most of my IRL people are xboners. Crossplay is already worth it with that. I was only interested because of the buddy pass for my bff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Saint Freak posted:

The trick is the devs making an 'Avoid players on Stadia' connection option.

Every MK11 player on Stadia is going to have a 100-0 win record as they pick Sub-Zero and just forward 2 on every single match.