Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Nova Drift trip report: Just found a build I loving love to bits, mostly because it kind of needs everything

Core: Engineer + Blade + Halo

Key Upgrades: Shielded Constructs, Volatile Shields, Convergence, Calibration, Overseer, Self Destruction, Efficiency

Nice to haves: Purification, Fusillade, Discharge, Incendiary Strike

Play style: This is based on exploiting Shielded Constructs and Volatile Shields to wreak havoc all over the board. When Shielded Constructs take hits, or when their Halo shields set things on fire, they all drain the same shield pool; when the pool depletes, all constructs lose shields simultaneously, but they all have independent shields, so they all deal independent Volatile Shields damage. If you get a lot of shields spread over the board, that means lots of damage to lots of targets; if you get all of the blades grinding one dude to death, that means a fuckload of damage.

Convergence and Calibration seem like they're at opposite ends of the spectrum, but blades are so absurdly slow by default that they actually synergise really well. Convergence means that blades stick to targets for a lot longer and will follow them or acquire new ones if they die; Calibration lets you release blades as a single blast in front of you. And there will be a lot.

Overseer is a pure positive on a blades build, since blades don't count as a primary weapon for the purposes of its drawback. All together, you can easily get up to ten blades. And if one of them dies, the shields come back up, and you happen to have Discharge, then you can fire that one to proc Discharge from every other blade on the field simultaneously, which is great when a bunch of fire blades are grinding a boss to death. Especially since that deals shield damage to the collective, meaning that they proc Volatile again. And since you'll usually be waiting for your blades to come back, Efficiency lets those shields pop back up that much faster.

The main drawback of the build is that your shields basically function as a weapon that you want bouncing up and down as quickly as possible, so you'll need to invest in some hull stuff or movement stuff to stay alive.

E: If I can name it its name is "this is fine"

Somfin fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My one win (beating stage 100) in Nova Drift involved just stacking all the damage bonuses I could on the flak weapon. I didn't take the homing or multishot trees (because they reduce projectile velocity, and the flak gun is kind of short-ranged to begin with), but all of the projectile size/damage/velocity/blast/etc. bonuses I could get, the assault body and amp shield, and then whatever survivability and miscellaneous upgrades I wanted.

It's a pretty straightforward build in that it's basically just "do the same thing as usual, but moreso." I wouldn't call it super-powered and some of the bosses were tricky, especially that one that has the orbiting shield drones. But there's no real gimmicks to it either, so it's easy to set up.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

In addition to everything else I'm about to say about it, co-op is an absolute clusterfuck of carefully-planned strategies and wild improvisation when someone inevitably screws up, to a degree that I'm not sure is easily matched in other titles.

1. Nova Drift
2. NEO Scavenger

3. Streets of Rogue

The appeal of some roguelikes doesn’t come from when things go right, but from when things go completely to hell. Honestly I don’t play Spelunky to execute perfect or even passable runs, but to see what kind of horrible, hilarious deaths I’m destined to suffer. Streets of Rogue has a very similar appeal, owing to how open-ended the interactions between all its characters and features are. But these robust options also leave space for a lot of different player approaches to problems, as well as some awesome, unexpected results when you manage to frame someone else for your misdeeds or trigger what seems like the apocalypse from trying to open a refrigerator. And really, if that’s not the kind of fun this whole “video games” thing has been evolving towards then I have no idea what any of us are doing here.

The city has elected a new mayor on a platform of junk food and partying, but his reign has been anything but good times. Crime is on the rise, fun is effectively outlawed, and a resistance has risen to unseat this corrupt overlord. You are the newest inductee to this bold movement, and perhaps its only hope considering its members can’t run you through their training course without capping a few of their own. The city’s best hope is a new mayoral election, which you can force if you can make it to the top of the oddly-vertical ‘burg and challenge the current despot directly. Or you can kill him and take his hat, that counts too.

Streets of Rogue currently consists of sixteen floors to the city, with the mayor and his entourage perched on top. The other fifteen floors are divided into five thematic districts like slums, industrial parks, and downtown. On each randomly-generated floor you are given randomly-generated tasks to complete, from nicking a baseball from a storage room to powering down a factory of deadly traps. It’s entirely up to you how you go about these missions but they must be completed before you leave the level. Complicating the matter is the rest of the city laid out around your objectives, which could be peaceful shops and residences, gambling dens and police stations, or mad science labs and haunted graveyards.

The reason these are complications is because of the dizzying number of interactions characters and objects in the world can have. Let’s take a simple example, a job to kill an armed shopkeeper. Obviously, if you are better armed or confident in your combat skills you can just run in and kill him. If you’ve got allies, you can send them to kill him. If you don’t, you can try to lure him into a fight with cops or gang members outside. Speaking of luring, you can set a trap with explosives and tap on the windows or beat on the walls to draw him towards it. If the building has air conditioning you can poison the air with something. The possibilities spiral on and on as you explore how many people you can bribe, how many things explode, and how much chaos can erupt from a pickpocket stealing from the wrong person.

These levels are alive, from the random slum dwellers and drug dealers all the way to the office workers and bartenders just trying to get through the day alive. Everyone has things they’re trying to do, and things you can help them do. Your conduct is important, and not just for keeping folks from punching your lights out, because you have an electability stat you can build if you want to take down the mayor peacefully. But you also don’t want to piss off the wrong shopkeeper, or your loan shark, or that gang member who’s going to go grab their whole gang to come down on you. There’s even a dedicated button to check the status of everyone on the screen, to see if they’re allied, neutral, searching for you, or hostile to you. You’ll find plenty of items to influence their feelings as well, from fancy cologne to literal mind control devices.

I’m really only scratching the surface of what you can do and must do in Streets of Rogue, but I’d be remiss in not mentioning the dozens of player classes, too. Really you can be just about any inhabitant of the city, from bums and gangers to cops, scientists, and bankers. Each class has special traits and abilities, like scientists knowing what syringes are when they find them and slum dwellers leveling faster. But they also have class-specific big quests, with optional objectives on every floor. Completing all of them on a successful run unlocks a super version of the class, with abilities tailored to let them wreak all kinds of specialized havoc. This gets even better when you unlock the more exotic classes like vampires and zombies, because their playstyles turn this into an entirely different game.

Unlocking new classes is very simple, for the most part, and you’ll get more than a few just from completing floors and causing wanton destruction. Leveling up and doing optional missions during runs will also net you chicken nuggets, the illicit currency of the resistance. This can be used for meta-progression, unlocking new items for the drop tables and perks to pick when you level up. Don’t worry about fouling up your pools though, because you can switch off unlocks at will. Add to this all kinds of optional modifiers to make your game even crazier, and a wonderfully chaotic co-op mode, and you’ve got quite a lot to explore in this title before you can claim to have seen everything.

I never expected Streets of Rogue to offer so many options and opportunities for fun, but it’s built to do exactly that. Every mission is a chance to dream up new scenarios of stealth or sabotage, and every mistake can be twisted into sprawling chaos. I’ve caused turf wars between the mafia and ninjas, I’ve amassed an army of gorillas, and I’ve blown up an entire city block by hacking a computer. Ultimately it’s a make-your-own-fun kind of game in the vein of Heat Signature, but it gives you so much direction to learn how that I can’t imagine not reaching that point of gleeful experimentation. It’s shocking that this one is even still in Early Access given how much there is to see and do, but that only means that yet more potential for wild adventures lies ahead.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Somfin posted:

"this is fine"

Tried this out, much fun was had. Died on the final boss because I got rammed in the face three times in a row :suicide:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

There were a bunch of contributing factors, but the final push over the edge was, I think (any -complete- wiki, guide, or morgue file around?), a Little Tyr portable altar constantly fed by that scrap-making orb

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Too Shy Guy posted:

I never expected Streets of Rogue to offer so many options and opportunities for fun, but it’s built to do exactly that. Every mission is a chance to dream up new scenarios of stealth or sabotage, and every mistake can be twisted into sprawling chaos. I’ve caused turf wars between the mafia and ninjas, I’ve amassed an army of gorillas, and I’ve blown up an entire city block by hacking a computer. Ultimately it’s a make-your-own-fun kind of game in the vein of Heat Signature, but it gives you so much direction to learn how that I can’t imagine not reaching that point of gleeful experimentation. It’s shocking that this one is even still in Early Access given how much there is to see and do, but that only means that yet more potential for wild adventures lies ahead.
I really, really wanted to like Streets of Rogue, but the controls feel so mushy and imprecise. I don't mind not being in control of the world. I hate not being in control of my character.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I love Streets, the controls never bothered me that much using a 360 controller.

There's a mod option you can turn on that gives you a random class each stage, which we always use. I've never really played it solo; the co-op is so fun, playing it solo just doesn't have a ton of appeal for me.

There are a ton of items that have specific situational uses, but it never feels bad if you get one for a reward and don't want it because it's very easy to just sell it and buy something you do want.

I'm not sure how it's still Early Access either, I think it got a Switch release and I don't know what other development milestones are needed before it's done because it's a very rich experience already.

SiCk
Jul 4, 2003

My name's SiCk, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I've had a client so short he was roughly the height of Tourists (Mugshot was just hands holding the name card) and another got super excited picking up anything.

I've had this and 2 others I enjoyed, one was a client who closed all doors behind him automatically and another that was "Refers to everyone on a first-name basis" which gave every enemy a name like "John" etc. I'm absolutely loving this game and its humor.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Streets of Rogue is currently in a heavy bug fixing, optimization, and polishing stage as opposed to rampant content rampaging around---it is Nearly There though, so folks that checked in on it much earlier in the Early Access meandering journey may do well to check it anew once full release arrives as it certainly hasn't been a case of slapping a v1.0 on it arbitrarily and sauntering off into the night.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Not all the games I'm covering this month are winners, and this one that's currently kicking around for fifty cents is a good example of that.

1. Nova Drift
2. NEO Scavenger
3. Streets of Rogue

4. Razenroth

I can usually appreciate a game if it accomplishes what it sets out to do. Not every title needs to be some huge, multi-faceted epic, and sometimes I prefer simpler games of smaller scope. Razenroth tells a very simple story, and gives you simple tools to accomplish your quest. But I went into it with little in the way of expectations, and still found myself disappointed. The thing is, no matter the scope of your game, it needs to meet some basic levels of engagement and gratification, and there just wasn’t enough of either to keep me with it.

Charles Carter is on the trail of his missing grandfather, Joseph. He didn’t just wander down to the horse track though. A trail of clues leads Charles to a forgotten place called the Valley of Whispers, and a cabin that appears to have once housed Joseph. But dark forces are afoot, twisting the surrounding forest into a nightmare landscape of dead trees and ravenous monsters. Fortunately for Charles, this trauma has brought out a powerful talent for magic which he can use to blast his foes. There are plenty in his way though, and completing his dark odyssey will require a little help in the form of new gear and spells to take on tougher foes.

Razenroth is another twin-stick shooter, played from a bird’s-eye view of the accursed woods. Charles starts out with magic shots on left click and a big shot on right, and as you guide him through the randomly-generated landscapes you’ll find coins, crystals, gear, and new spells to keep him competitive with the foul beasts around. There’s also a leveling system which allows you to enhance stats and pick some minor gameplay perks every few levels. Among the items you can find are helpful familiars, randomized gear, and plenty of health and mana pickups to keep you fighting.

This all must sound pretty boilerplate, and in fact that’s the problem with the whole thing. I can’t point to anything that Razenroth does that’s unique to the genre or better than other versions of it. The map is just a chain of random boxes, with a very conspicuous hallway always leading to the boss. The combat feels weightless, as enemies shrug off attacks and spontaneously splatter when taking fatal damage. There’s really no exciting loot to look for, and the meta-progression requires multiple runs of currency just to start a proper grind for. After 15-20 minutes of this, I found myself struggling to focus on the game mainly because there’s no real variety between the levels. The backdrops look different and the enemies are a bit faster or weirder-looking, but it’s the same lightweight strafing and shooting the whole way through.

As happens with so many indie titles, no one on the development side ever seemed to step back and question if what they were making was fun. It works, of course… you can zap monsters and collect coins and die if you don’t pay attention to your foes. But there really feels like there’s nothing to work for, nothing to keep you coming back to the same woods, fighting the same monsters, and so on. Razenroth could probably be good with some more engaging level design and characters, but as it stands the memories are already halfway out the door.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Slay the spire plays really well with a controller on ps4 if anyone is hesitant on picking it up.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Klaus Kinski posted:

Slay the spire plays really well with a controller on ps4 if anyone is hesitant on picking it up.

Bought the Switch port today, bit of framerate hiccups every once in a while but nothing egregious. Plays wonderfully.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Chin Strap posted:

Bought the Switch port today, bit of framerate hiccups every once in a while but nothing egregious. Plays wonderfully.

Yeah, there's a bit of lag on some animations but this is by far the best genre for it to happen in. Up to Ascension 11 after not playing since super early access and I still don't feel hosed by the rng.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man I wish there was a way to have mods on the switch. There’s a ton of games I’d love to double dip on but sometimes mods just add so much that I don’t want to go back to vanilla.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Klaus Kinski posted:

Yeah, there's a bit of lag on some animations but this is by far the best genre for it to happen in. Up to Ascension 11 after not playing since super early access and I still don't feel hosed by the rng.

I've kind of plateaued at 11. Has anyone got any advice? It feels like either I build a deck to get through the first map and then fail on the second or third, or I try to draft a power strategy and die on the first boss.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

User posted:

I've kind of plateaued at 11. Has anyone got any advice? It feels like either I build a deck to get through the first map and then fail on the second or third, or I try to draft a power strategy and die on the first boss.
Ironclad strength + strength scaling cards is my favorite near-sure thing. Heavy blade, double strike, pummel, stuff like that. Make sure to get some damage cards early and that should get you your first elite.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Both my roommate and I are currently putting quite a lot of playtime into A Robot Named Fight. There's something to be said for knowing exactly what you want to do and doing it well. ARNF is to Super Metroid randomizers what Levelhead is to Mario Maker, and that's not a bad thing. It's not unique, really, but it's polished and the core gameplay feels good and really what more can you ask for?

Edit: Never mind, just killed the boss inside the Megabeast for the first time, orbited by a half dozen lethal satellites and firing lightning everywhere. The game has officially come into its own. :suspense:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 7, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hrnn, Tutorial Smith, I'm trying to kill the Megabeast, but I'm dummy thicc, and the clank of my rear end cheeks keeps alerting the meat.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Hrnn, Tutorial Smith, I'm trying to kill the Megabeast, but I'm dummy thicc, and the clank of my rear end cheeks keeps alerting the meat.

Next thing on your to-do list is find a way outside the map. Find a way to exit a room from the top that seems like it shouldn't work.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Somfin posted:

E: If I can name it its name is "this is fine"

No, that'd be Dying Star...

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cryohazard posted:

No, that'd be Dying Star...

Dying star is about you being on fire. This Is Fine is about everything else being on fire, and surrounded by things which are exploding, and their shields exploding and occasionally being lightning

I'm interested in A Robot Named Fight, how does it compare to Nova Drift in terms of pure build chaos in the late stages?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Somfin posted:

Dying star is about you being on fire. This Is Fine is about everything else being on fire, and surrounded by things which are exploding, and their shields exploding and occasionally being lightning

I'm interested in A Robot Named Fight, how does it compare to Nova Drift in terms of pure build chaos in the late stages?

The craziest build I ever had was an item that's basically money = power on crack and a drone that generated extra money for me. I was uncontrollably fast and just kinda melted everything with my ridiculous damage and fire rate.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

It's really pretty tame. Items can either be straight stat-ups (like you run faster or deal more damage or your bullets go faster); subweapons / alternate primary weapons; upgrades to your main primary weapon (like its shots explode or home in); or miscellaneous other passive upgrades. Most of the difficulty of the game, in my experience, is dictated by how many upgrades to your primary weapon you get. If you're facing down the Megabeast with 10 secondary weapons and a bog-standard peashooter for your primary, you're gonna have a hard time. But if you instead have a homing flaming shocking exploding multishot bigshot etc. primary weapon, then it gets a lot easier.

Cryohazard posted:

Next thing on your to-do list is find a way outside the map. Find a way to exit a room from the top that seems like it shouldn't work.

There's multiple ways to do this, the easiest of which is (IIRC) to spider morph while teleporting or saving.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I don't know how I've missed A Robot Named Fight all this time, because it sounds like something I would absolutely adore. Just like today's game, which has already gotten talked up quite a bit here.

1. Nova Drift
2. NEO Scavenger
3. Streets of Rogue
4. Razenroth

5. Void Bastards

Barring any huge missteps, games that center on collecting loot will always do well. We have some kind of lizard-brain attraction to gathering junk, whether it be festively-colored weapons or health kits to mash into our faces or literal junk to craft slightly more useful junk from. Void Bastards takes inspiration from a very specific and very gratifying sort of looting, that of System Shock 2 and similar 0451 games. Building a roguelike gameplay loop around this technical, thoughtful scrounging of bullets and tubing is honestly nothing short of genius, and framing it with incredible comic book visuals and intensely British humor cements it as a game that can hook you hard.

The Void Ark is a massive private prison ship, currently set adrift in the Sargasso Nebula. Its A.I. caretakers can hardly leave it in this state, but with no living crew and no FTL drive, there’s not much they can do on the software side. What they can do is re-hydrate the frozen pris-er, clients one at a time, outfit them with weapons and sustenance, and eject them from the ship until they bring back the components needed to get it up to code again. The Sargasso is an utter wasteland of derelicts stuffed with useful tools and garbage, so you’ll have your pick of hulks to loot. Just watch out for their ravenous mutated crew, their merciless security systems, ruthless salvage pirates, and the occasional massive starship-devouring space whales.

Void Bastards works off a simple combination of premises, when you boil it down. The strategic level has you navigating your pod through the maze of drifting hulks in an always-forward-never-back progression. This means you need to hit the right nodes to line up with the ships containing the parts you want, with an eye on your food and fuel to make sure you don’t run out of either if you’re skipping past nodes. There’s a mess of ship types, each with a set layout and predominant loot types but with randomized loot locations, enemies, and modifiers like locked doors, power off, or everything on fire.

Once you’ve set your heart on a hulk to pillage, you get dropped off at the airlock for some good ol’ fashioned skulking and snatching. Everything you have in Void Bastards is either scavenged from ships or kitbashed together from junk you steal. In addition to ammo and merits (currency used to buy from stores or authorize access to systems), there are two kinds of salvage. The basic kind recycles down to five crafting materials that can be used to craft the more advanced kind, which are usually found one per ship and are the main objective of your ingresses. There’s close to a hundred of these, from metal pipes and nozzles to bodily fluids and power drills, and they’re used to make your weapons, gear, and story items that get you ever closer to escaping the nebula.

So your primary concern is getting junk to make better gear, and you’ll need to dodge all kinds of threats to do it. The folks that got left in the nebula are a bit of a mess now, mutated into bloated, blue-skinned Brits that hurl insults at you along with plasma bursts. You’ll contend with exploding tourists, vanishing spooks, and nigh-unstoppable screws, and to even the odds you’ll have an assortment of guns, explosives, debilitators, and passive buffs from the gear you craft. There’s also plenty of opportunity for stealth, locking foes behind doors, overriding security to work for you, and using environmental hazards to your advantage. But you’ve got a limited oxygen supply on each ship, and if there are any rifts then enemies will keep pouring in, so whatever you do might need to be done in a hurry.

All of these factors combine to produce a game where new challenges and surprises wait within every ship you come across. Those challenges also grow more creative and more deadly as you descend further into the nebula in search of rarer parts. As a roguelike death is ever-present, though if you’re well-equipped for your depth you can get pretty comfortable ransacking ships. Dying forces you into a new client, losing all your ammo, merits, food, and fuel, but retaining all your crafted items and crafting materials. It’s a good compromise, forcing you to rebuild your tactical supplies without harming your overall progression, and if you want to put that on the chopping block there is of course an ironman mode. There are quite a few ways to increase the challenge, including difficulty levels and conduct restrictions like no crafting or no guns.

As good as the looting and risk management is, it’s the presentation that steals the show. The comic book aesthetic is near flawless, with colorful, cel-shaded characters and surfaces in the ships and wonderfully stylized 2D art in the menus. One fantastic touch is that important sounds like footsteps and muttering is represented visually, with comic book text appearing near the doors where the sound originated. The sound design overall is top-notch, with rich effects and some nice moody tracks for planning and combat. Plus, it has the Stanley Parable narrator to snark at you about following regulations in the most delightfully British way possible. Really it’s just an incredibly complete package built around an incredibly engrossing gameplay loop, and that’s more than enough to make it one of my favorite FPS roguelikes around.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh hey, I was wondering if this was the thread to talk about Void Bastards in and here's a review of it!

Game's great. As Too Shy Guy states it's this beautiful mix of the salvage-build skinner box with some amazing presentation with an absolutely sublime coating of dark British humor to top it off. This is a far distant British future that literally runs on bureaucracy and queues. As in some of the ships you loot are literally bureaucracy ships dedicated to filling out, collating and filing paperwork (they're an amazing source of Merits and Staples, which are your money and shotgun shells of this game). I'm pretty sure part of the dehydration gag is that prisoners clients are literally stored in filing cabinets.

Oh also the character's crimes are all matched up with their starting randomized traits which is hilarious and a great attention to details. Of course you can go to prison hulks therapy barges and get new traits/remove old ones. And some of the randomized perks are nifty and creative. I think my favorite one was a guy who got caught at insurance fraud got cash every time he took damage. Was sad to lose him.

The game runs silky smooth and I've yet to run into any bugs. The only bug I've heard about (the game crashing when entering a ship, and therefore assuming your character died) has been apparently fixed already.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
gently caress, I had a Void Bastards coupon I was waffling on using and now it's expired. :negative:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stop saving your consumables for later

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is the real life equivalent of that dying from a heart attack with Bayer in your medicine cabinet?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The real life equivalent is your steam backlog

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

packetmantis posted:

gently caress, I had a Void Bastards coupon I was waffling on using and now it's expired. :negative:

Don't miss it! There is a chance it'll be on sale during the upcoming Steam Sale.

Alkydere posted:

This is a far distant British future that literally runs on bureaucracy and queues.

I hadn't fully put it all together... everything is now even better!

This feels appropriate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FPNPtrosGI

What this cool dude said.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BaconCopter posted:

I hadn't fully put it all together... everything is now even better!

This feels appropriate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FPNPtrosGI

In the Grim-Dark future, there is only War Queues:

Well Queues and Orbital Nucs:

And the more things change, the more they stay the same:

Seriously though the visual comic-book representation of sound is one of the coolest thing this game has done, and it did it well. Not quite sure what "Hover" sounds like though...since it seems to be a silent sound effect. And yeah I had to ask a British friend about exactly how British this game was. The cheese and onion sandwich is totally a Brit thing apparently.

Me: "Oh, yanno, some grilled onions and cheese does sound good..."
Friend: "Actually they tend to be pickled onions over here."
Me: :gonk:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Alkydere posted:

Not quite sure what "Hover" sounds like though...since it seems to be a silent sound effect.

It'd be like a wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh kinda thing. Like a hollow technical droning sound. I think? :)

I also find it funny, though.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wish void bastards just gave you x number of slots to bring in a mission instead of the current setup.

Like the charge laser is cool but I never bring it because most the enemies don’t warrant it and I wouldn’t be able to take out cameras without it being a huge waste.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
My favourite part of the Void Bastards presentation: the player characters are rehydrated from a packet. Like, a ramen noodle packet. Pick out a packet from the storage locker, rip the bag open, dump it in a vat with some water, wait a bit, then slam the helmet and backpack on whatever poor sod comes out and send 'em on their way, all while being extremely the voice from The Stanley Parable. It's a beautiful bit of internal justification for how there can be an infinite supply of bastards on a finitely-sized ship, while also helping the player feel a bit more okay about them dying. They're explicitly disposable.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
all the talk about void bastards made me buy void bastards, even though I don't normally like first person shooters

would like to confirm, game rules

my favorite ship so far was a ship

a.) with a modifier that makes smoke more frequent, and by more frequent I mean everywhere

b.) featuring a shedload of tourists

my butthole was so tight it could have formed a singularity, I was firing blind shots into the aether and setting off thirty explosions at a time

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lunatic Sledge posted:

all the talk about void bastards made me buy void bastards, even though I don't normally like first person shooters

would like to confirm, game rules

my favorite ship so far was a ship

a.) with a modifier that makes smoke more frequent, and by more frequent I mean everywhere

b.) featuring a shedload of tourists

my butthole was so tight it could have formed a singularity, I was firing blind shots into the aether and setting off thirty explosions at a time

I was feeling like the game's combat was way, way too forgiving early on- you can go one-on-one against a rocket turret armed only with a pistol, tank every shot to the face without dodging, and win, so the Bastards are incredibly durable by modern video game standards- but getting cornered by a couple of Zec in a robo kitty ship convinced me otherwise. You get used to feeling a bit immortal, get a bit cocky, and then you get whoopsied into panicking in a corner while angry brits scream your face inside out; even if you survive, you're gonna be hurting for a long time afterward. It's a very different way of thinking about health compared to modern short-term quick-regen health systems and I love it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yo Void Bastards is incredibly slick, where the hell did this game come from?

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
Void bastards was incredibly fun. Loved blowing up those tourist and seeing them chain-react. Until about 45 minutes in when it started making me feel incredibly nauseous. Got bad enough that I had to return the game.

Anyone know what causes stuff like this? I played a couple of first person games that also did this before but for the most part just changing the fov fixes things. Not in void bastards thought.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Some games have options to turn off the camera bobbing that makes movement more immersive, but also makes some people nauseous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Official dev steam FAQ claims there are no motion blur or depth of field whatnot in Void Bastards. Oddly, some are pointing the blame at mouse smoothing. Try turning that down or changing the resolution if you’re past refunding.