Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
That golem room is why the spell Sanctuary exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

bike tory posted:

Aren't golems intelligent enough to tell staff from invaders, if they were actually under control?

There's at least one quest in the game that tells us that 'if' is, well, iffy :v:

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey, Fleshy was just trying to live his best unlife, that mage shoulda given more explicit pre-activation instructions.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bike tory posted:

Aren't golems intelligent enough to tell staff from invaders, if they were actually under control? I'm pretty sure they're just stuck in the room because of game engine limitations, not for story reasons.

I'd always assumed the family had the golems commissioned basically just as vault guardians, and that higher function or control would require a mage or at least would've been more expensive.

Probably one of those "Anyone but the lord of the manor is probably stealing the treasures attack at will"

Sneaky relatives and shifty servants are known to pocket valuables when given the opportunity.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Golems are not intelligent enough to decide anything. They fulfil their orders exactly as ordered.

Take the one at the start of BG 2. The one that was told to tell people not to leave the dungeon, but not to actually stop them.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Golems are not intelligent enough to decide anything. They fulfil their orders exactly as ordered.

Take the one at the start of BG 2. The one that was told to tell people not to leave the dungeon, but not to actually stop them.

This is one of those grey areas because while they don't have any kind of intuitive intelligence like humans and others animals, they aren't simply giant logic machines either. Part of their magical nature is some sort of magical intelligence, so that you can issue commands like "bust a hole in this wall" or "move that pile of bricks over there" without having to carefully define what a wall, bricks etc are like you would with a computer. Idk if the monster manuals ever spell out exactly where that intelligence comes from, but I'd always assumed that it is part of the link between a golem and it's master, like part of their magical nature is that when given commands they also take from their master the necessary intelligence or understanding to carry out that command.

So for example a command like "defend the keep from these trolls" would be perfectly within a golem's ability, and wouldn't lead to them slaughtering the staff and other defenders. But the golem would probably ignore the yuan-ti. Whereas "defend the keep from invaders" would presumably have the golem attack anyone that it's master superficially considered an invader, so obviously the trolls and yuan-ti, but perhaps not a friend or former ally who mightve turned on the master without their knowledge.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 6, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

2nd ed golems are all animated by bound earth elementals, so they have at least that level of intelligence

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://larian.com/

There's some music now.

Some very Baldur's Gate motifs in there with some haunted seas vibes.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
It's real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is that the Slayer form that we're seeing there?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

chaosapiant posted:

Is that the Slayer form that we're seeing there?

he's turning into a mind flayer somehow

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
It's real and it's gross as hell.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/06/06/baldurs-gate-3-announced-from-the-creators-of-divinity-original-sin/

Story has nothing to do with 1 and 2. The story will be a direct follow up to tabletop module Descent to Avernus that releases later this year.

edit: Also, that's how Mind Flayers reproduce, they put a tadpole in your head and you turn into one.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

is this a loving Tyranid invasion lmao

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That looks pretty cool. I like that it isn't connected to the previous two.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://twitter.com/The_Katbot/status/1136667355763732482

https://twitter.com/The_Katbot/status/1136668555863134210

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Great, another "Save the world/kingdom/city unknown stranger!" game :shrek:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Given the appearance of Nautiloids in the trailer which suggests crossover with Spelljammer, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy is in Baldur's Gate 3.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/N%27ghathrod

Why? Can't pass up a reference to Boo and Miniature Giant Space Hamsters

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So it finally returns.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/seamoosi/status/1136665704353161221

Hopefully this is true.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It might not be accurate but that was a wonderfully awesome transformation

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Great, another "Save the world/kingdom/city unknown stranger!" game :shrek:

Yeah, I mean I assumed it was going to be a CRPG.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ulio posted:

So it finally returns.

In name only. They already said it will be set 100 years after BG2, have no connection to the first two games' story, and is in fact a sequel to some tabletop module called Descent to Avernus.

Probably just toss in Minsc and Jan and call it a day.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I mean I assumed it was going to be a CRPG.
The most tired trope.

Cythereal posted:

In name only. They already said it will be set 100 years after BG2, have no connection to the first two games' story, and is in fact a sequel to some tabletop module called Descent to Avernus.

Probably just toss in Minsc and Jan and call it a day.
and Xan or I riot. Or continue to try to not care because I have no faith that it will be any good. I wonder if it will be better or worse than the Masters Of Orion redux that flopped a few years ago...

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Wouldn't it be difficult to throw Minsc in given how his story concludes (unless I'm misremembering)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So is this anything more than an attempt to cash in on the brand name? With no connection to the original, which is what was expected, what's the point?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
that does not look good. also the way they mentioned Co-Op/MP before even talking about whether the game is rtwp or not is kind of worrying

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Yea just using the reputation of Baldurs Gate as one of the greats to generate hype for another game.

Should be interesting. I'm actually more keen now that I know it's a massive spin off. Absolutely savage from Swen in the RPS interview though, basically trashing the Infinity engine in 2020. RIP Beamdog.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

chaosapiant posted:

So is this anything more than an attempt to cash in on the brand name? With no connection to the original, which is what was expected, what's the point?

It is just that, yeah.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Songbearer posted:

Wouldn't it be difficult to throw Minsc in given how his story concludes (unless I'm misremembering)

A statue of him was revived by Wild Magic so he's back in the 5e Forgotten Realms (with Boo too).

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

GOG page has the BG3 tagged as real-time btw

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Pattonesque posted:

he's turning into a mind flayer somehow

I was under the impression that ceremorphosis took longer and was... not particularly conductive to the victim not noticing.

Mind Flayers being the villains is kinda cool though, have they ever been the major focus of a D&D video game? It feels like they should have been, but I can't think of one.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
I am totally fine with the story having nothing to do with 1 or 2. But dear god if it is turn based..... ughhh disgusting! I hope it is not turn based, I would take any other system even if its action oriented as long as it is not turn based.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Savy Saracen salad posted:

I am totally fine with the story having nothing to do with 1 or 2. But dear god if it is turn based..... ughhh disgusting! I hope it is not turn based, I would take any other system even if its action oriented as long as it is not turn based.

Counterpoint: turn based is cool and good.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The original baldur's gate rtwp never really clicked for me, and I usually ended up zerging the enemy and hoping for the best. D:OS2's take on turn-based combat in between real-time exploration is fantastic however.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's probably a sign of my age and time spent in this goddamned hobby that it's really weirding me out to see people upset at the idea that a D&D CRPG might be turn-based.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I never really liked Neverwinter Nights 1, and this absolutely smacks of it. If they make a good game it will be incidental to everything they’ve shown and said so far.

Eg they’re really overstating the importance of multiplayer to the BG games

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

frajaq posted:

is this a loving Tyranid invasion lmao

The interview says that tentacle thing is a giant Nautiloid a Mind Flayer spaceship.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man a lot of kneejerk reactions here.

Also the game taking place in Baldur's Gate is enough for it to be BG III to me.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Should there be a new thread for BG3 discussion?