Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I love hanging out with coworkers. Some of my best friends are past and current coworkers, including at least one girlfriend. You all should try being more social.

I don't mind hanging out with coworkers, especially old ones but usually any hangout that involves current coworkers outside of work is usually just talking poo poo about other people at work or work itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I love hanging out with coworkers. Some of my best friends are past and current coworkers, including at least one girlfriend. You all should try being more social.

I've worked here 16 years. There are a handful of coworkers I hang out with as friends. The majority tend to try to use me for personal tech support over drinks and get angry when I don't want to talk about computers after work. It's just easier not to go nowadays.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm batting about .500 on jobs with coworkers I like enough to go do stuff outside of work. My current company is awesome, and I expect I'll remain friends with a number of people from here whenever I leave. I've also worked places where everyone was way older than me and racist, sexist, proto-MAGA chuds (this was pre-Trump) who spent all day listening to InfoWars on the clock. I didn't even want to talk to them in the office let alone at the company BBQ or whatever. Though even there there were a couple cool people I'd go get a beer with after hours.

Now it doesn't matter in any case because I have kids, and lol people actually get to control what they do on nights and weekends?!?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I gotta agree with CLAM DOWN, here. I'm not saying I love the system or anything, but if you ever wonder why people don't listen to IT at your job... this is possibly part of it. Play the game. Talk to people you wouldn't normally talk to, make nice. The next time you want something to happen, you may be talking to a familiar face instead of a stranger, and that might make the difference.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's the other thing. I don't have kids. I'm not married. I'm 38. People my age just talk about all that stuff and I have nothing to contribute and honestly I don't give a poo poo about your kids. I feel like a creep hanging out with the 22 year olds. Although one of my very good friends is a female coworker, but she's leaving and moving away because her boss is unbelievably terrible.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

I gotta agree with CLAM DOWN, here. I'm not saying I love the system or anything, but if you ever wonder why people don't listen to IT at your job... this is possibly part of it. Play the game. Talk to people you wouldn't normally talk to, make nice. The next time you want something to happen, you may be talking to a familiar face instead of a stranger, and that might make the difference.

This.

Also, if you want to be cynicalrealistic think about it as professional development. Help people from other departments think about you as a real person and not "that weird goon that stares at his feet in the elevator"

That being said, being forced to attend something outside of normal business hours is still kinda lovely. If you want to require it, do it during the day.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I will never be social with the racist and sexist dickweeds that polluted (and still are polluting) my past IT departments.
On top of that, you can't really switch-off with co-workers around, during Friday beers they will usually start bothering you about work related IT problems and that really exhausts you after a while (yes, I do say "can you not?" a lot, but still exhausting)

That said, my partner is an ex-colleague from when I wasn't working in IT, so for me it's more profession related than colleague related.

cage-free egghead posted:

I don't mind hanging out with coworkers, especially old ones but usually any hangout that involves current coworkers outside of work is usually just talking poo poo about other people at work or work itself.

Also this, but that's also part of the "you can not switch-off".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Don't hang out with lovely people if you don't have to, this advice extends to all parts of your life not just work. Why is this always such a weird point of contention in this thread?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

That said, my partner is an ex-colleague from when I wasn't working in IT, so for me it's more profession related than colleague related.

Yeah, we all know IT people are terrible, which is why I usually recommend socializing with other departments at those kinds of events.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

Yeah, we all know IT people are terrible, which is why I usually recommend socializing with other departments at those kinds of events.

I'm particularly fond of the marketing and sales folks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm pretty blunt in here but I know how to play the politic game at work. I'll sit and ask about your kids while dying inside. I try to be friends with everyone. I try to remember names and talk to them like real people. Not some fuckin dork who hides in the corner pounding mountain dew all day while being a dick to everyone.

The only people I can't stand are a few of the HR folks. They're a bunch of liars and if you complain about anything it's all "you should appreciate what the company provides instead of complaining what they don't. Can't you be appreciative????" while they gently caress you over with health insurance and take away benefits.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Don't hang out with lovely people if you don't have to, this advice extends to all parts of your life not just work. Why is this always such a weird point of contention in this thread?

It's not. Being the IT thread, it's just that it's somewhat likely we're the terrible people in the example :v:

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm particularly fond of the marketing and sales folks.

I love hanging out with the these people because they always expense the bar tab. It's also their job to be pleasant to talk to so that helps.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 6, 2019

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

Because "you don't have to" doesn't really take into account that companies are a lot like small towns and gently caress small towns and again: that poo poo is exhausting.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Because goons. It's fine, it should be expected on SA.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because goons. It's fine, it should be expected on SA.

It's just bizarre. Do you people never go to birthday parties or anything? You don't have to spend time with every single person present in a room.

Trying to spint "Spending time with your coworkers when you aren't on the clock isn't a terrible burden by default" into "Oh you want me to go spend time with racists?!" is some poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

It's just bizarre. Do you people never go to birthday parties or anything? You don't have to spend time with every single person present in a room.

Trying to spint "Spending time with your coworkers when you aren't on the clock isn't a terrible burden by default" into "Oh you want me to go spend time with racists?!" is some poo poo.

The small town poo poo doesn't even fly. I'm from a small town. You get out of it what you make of it, it comes down to your own personal approach and attitude.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Just work remotely at least 1000km from your nearest coworker.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

I am also from a small town an yes 90% of my personal attitude and approach was forged there. It’s funny how often “be more social” is code for “no, you’re the problem. You should be more accepting of lovely behavior” in such situations and work is way too often similar.

I’m gonna retreat to my hovel on the side of a windswept bald mountain, scowling at the people down in the valley.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Yesterday we had a social in our courtyard at lunch. I hung out with other IT people, as well as some legal, HR, and clinical people. I ate sliders and ice cream and cheered teams on as they engineered egg drop machines to be flung from the roof of the building. It was a pretty good day. :shobon:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I mean, I have autism, anxiety, and depression, so I go into these events expecting people, usually unrealistically, to dislike me and for me to have a disastrous time. So people saying it's partly my problem and my attitude aren't entirely wrong. I'd rather spend time with my close friends than make conversation with people I only sort of know or don't know at all.

I'm working on it, but poo poo like an 8 hour mandatory bonding event still is a lot for me, and a confident can-do mental attitude isn't exactly some switch I just choose not to flip because I enjoy the challenge.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Xanderkish posted:

anxiety, and depression

Me too. But I know we can't make it through life alone, where we spend so much of our time (at work). So I put in a lot of effort to make the most of it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Xanderkish posted:

I'm working on it, but poo poo like an 8 hour mandatory bonding event still is a lot for me, and a confident can-do mental attitude isn't exactly some switch I just choose not to flip because I enjoy the challenge.

Fake it til you make it.

Additionally, make it a switch. You're in control of how you feel and while yes anxiety is a hell of a thing, it only gets worse from choosing to avoid situations instead of just biting the bullet and feeling uncomfortable going against your gut.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm not advocating for the system or anything, but those soft skills are super important to develop, and the more networking you can do the better it's going to be for you professionally, both from a perspective of personal benefits and from a perspective of being able to drive or prevent change at the place you work. And IT people are typically very bad about that, and we really shouldn't be.

If you hate everyone you work with, it's time to :yotj: You're going to hate yourself into an early grave, otherwise.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

Fake it til you make it.

Good advice right here. If it is at all possible for you to fake it, do it long enough and you'll wake up realizing you can people.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I suppose it is important to remember that there's benefits to doing that stuff, and I probably could serve to do it more. I do decently with social stuff, I just don't always think I do. It's a whole thing, I'm working on it, I don't need treatment advice, blah blah blah.

But yeah, I could probably serve to remember that networking's not exactly a problem that's going to go away (much as I want it to) and I'm better off adapting to it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Google posted a postmortem of their network outage from a few days ago https://status.cloud.google.com/incident/cloud-networking/19009

As far as I can tell, bugs + misconfigurations caused a planned maintenance event to shut down most or all instances of their network management software across multiple data centers at the same time. Instead of in a safe, rolling manner. Which kind of owns.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Now that's what I call eventual consistency.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
God, I have to write incident reports for issues that most people will never hear about just to blow smoke up one or two customer's rear end. I can't imagine the verbal gymnastics required to write an incident report on their level.

e: "Elevated packet loss", I gotta use that one.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

God, I have to write incident reports for issues that most people will never hear about just to blow smoke up one or two customer's rear end. I can't imagine the verbal gymnastics required to write an incident report on their level.

e: "Elevated packet loss", I gotta use that one.

Technically true, even if it's elevated to 100%.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
So a client wants to hire me, they cant meet my salary requirements 100% so they're offering sign on bonus + equity. They just finished their series B at a 500M valuation. Having never done equity, is there a primer on negotiating it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yes: Equity is worth $0.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Until it isn't. Take a 10% salary cut and roll the dice. Series B valuation is worth at least something - it's not just a few guys with some buzzwords, they've at least got their poo poo together that a group of people believes they are worth money.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://robertheaton.com/2015/11/02/how-to-value-your-startup-stock-options/

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Until it isn't. Take a 10% salary cut and roll the dice. Series B valuation is worth at least something - it's not just a few guys with some buzzwords, they've at least got their poo poo together that a group of people believes they are worth money.

Yea, the guys that started this were C guys from F100 investment banks and the company has their poo poo together, this isnt a pop up shop.

It is a 10% salary cut actually, but if the equity is realized I can finally get my boat

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sepist posted:

I can finally get my boat

So it's definitely worth $0, then.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sepist posted:

Yea, the guys that started this were C guys from F100 investment banks and the company has their poo poo together, this isnt a pop up shop.

It is a 10% salary cut actually, but if the equity is realized I can finally get my boat

Given what I know about you from these threads you can probably afford that 10% cut, right? Might as well give it a shot.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sepist posted:

I knew it was a 10% cut because I am on the board of the company that offered you the job. Sign the friggin offer letter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I knew it was a 10% cut because I am on the board of the company that offered you the job. Sign the friggin offer letter.

This just took an interesting turn.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Rofl. Thread got good again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I haven't been this exciting by my own posting since I fired that goon a few years ago.