Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

In Spain there’s also homeless entrepreneurs who will buy cold beer in a store and then sell it to you in the park, it’s pretty great.

They do that here too. It's not legal but no one except the police care.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

vyelkin posted:

yeah and if you go to a park everyone is drinking beer and then just leaving their empties laying on the ground because homeless people will come and pick them up and return them for the deposit, and they see this as progressive charity instead of lazy littering

I'm okay with people leaving them near the garbage cans for that reason but if people are just dropping them where they drink them that's just lazy bullshit.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
In Munich there was a woman who would go around on her bike, take people's orders, and bring back the beer at the park. Can you imagine? They just live better there, and I think a part of it is that level of respect that the police get from the general population and vice versa is way more equal than here. The police have a healthy respect for what the people can do, and it makes your interactions far more reasonable. And once you have that, the sky is the limit. So many laws are about restricting the availability of poor people to have fun. It's illegal to drink in a park, but it's not illegal to drink in your backyard. It's illegal to tube down a river, but not drive a boat. When you realise you can ignore some of those, and especially that you can do it in large groups and become unassailable, and that's where freedom truly resides.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

infernal machines posted:

They do that here too. It's not legal but no one except the police care.

Yeah I've definitely bought boxers and luckies from a wandering man's backpack, it's pretty common around the Stampede.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Leofish posted:

Real, now deleted, tweet from the MPP for Haldimand-Norfolk.

Nice to see my MPP doing good work. God I hate that scummy piece of poo poo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

https://twitter.com/suntooz/status/...ctor-workers%2F

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Reminder: Ontarians voted overwhelmingly for this.

e: Ford and his merry gaggle of idiots, not necessarily the public sector pay freeze.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Reminder: Ontarians voted overwhelmingly for this.

e: Ford and his merry gaggle of idiots, not necessarily the public sector pay freeze.

Well, 40.5% of them did anyway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

Well, 40.5% of them did anyway

Four out of ten people you meet every day voted for this.

Think on that

e: Obviously not really since only 58% voted for anyone, but whatever.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Think on that

lol I haven't lived in Ontario for years, and the riding where my parents live and where I visit on a regular basis elected a cool NDP candidate, so there

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Think on that

Ahhhhhctually, 4 out of 10 registered didn't care enough to vote.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I count those as votes for Ford.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Uh, I think you'll find they're the "silent majority"

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Furnaceface posted:

I count those as votes for Ford.

Uh, I think you'll find they're the "silent majority"

Yeah, 4 in 10 eligible voters* looked at the poo poo going on during the election cycle and decided "this doesn't affect me enough to care". It's monstrously infuriating.

*Excludes people unable to vote by whatever fuckery may have prevented them from being able to do so.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If you bet on seeing this headline on the NP, well, we all did.

What happened to missing and murdered Indigenous women was horrific, but it wasn't genocide

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's happened to Indigenous people over the centuries has simply been a collection of isolated incidents against individuals. You can't just group a bunch of mini-exterminations together whenever you want to call something a genocide.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
IMO Canada has done lots of genocide to indigenous people, but the MAMIW is more regular racism playing out through systematic oppression.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Ford really wants to be mayor of Toronto huh.

quote:

Ford government to rewrite Toronto’s development plans to allow taller buildings in more of midtown, downtown

The Ontario government’s move to allow more and taller buildings in Toronto’s midtown area wrecks a more balanced original plan for growth that would have allowed the city to keep up with schools, parks and other infrastructure, city councillor Josh Matlow says.

"This is a giveaway to the developers at the expense of the local community," said Mr. Matlow, one the neighourhood's local councillors, after The Globe and Mail reported that Municipal Affairs Minister Steve Clark was rewriting two major official plan amendments submitted by the city, in order to loosen rules for developers and allow for more housing units near public transit stations.

Mr. Clark told The Globe he intends to make major changes to the city’s plans for its midtown area - whose councillors include Mr. Matlow, an outspoken critic of the Progressive Conservative government’s recent housing plans - and for its downtown, to increase “flexibility” and get more housing units built to address Toronto’s housing crunch.

Both original plans took years of consultations with residents and work by city planners, and were approved by council last year and submitted under the previous Liberal government's planning framework. Just before a deadline that would have seen them punted to the province's Local Planning Appeal Tribunal for it to make the final decision on any changes, Mr. Clark said he intended to send rewritten unappealable versions back to the city that reflected what he described as his government's recent policy changes and its very different vision for growth. As of Wednesday morning, the details had yet to be made public.

As an example of the scope of the changes, Mr. Clark said that at the corner of Bayview Avenue and Eglinton Avenue East, the city's plan called for a maximum height of eight storeys. He says the province's changes would allow 20 to 35 storeys at that location, as it is the site of a station on the Crosstown tunnelled light-rail line, which is under construction.

Mr. Matlow, while acknowledging he had not seen the details of the new plans, argued that adding so much more density there now would only further fill up the overcrowded Yonge subway line, which will be fed by the Crosstown. But he said that perhaps in future years, once other transit lines such as the downtown relief subway line are completed, greater density could be warranted at that site. He said the government should be consulting the city and residents instead of unilaterally changing the plans.

The councillor said allowing more residential development than planned for in midtown, which has already been the site of numerous battles between residents and high-rise developers, will make it impossible for governments to add the required schools, childcare centres and parks: "It has got to be done in a way that recognizes reality."

Mr. Matlow also noted that the plans would allow for increased density on top of the city's subway stations, ownership which the province intends to take over.

The councillor has also been a vocal critic of the Ford government's housing legislation, known as Bill 108, which he and other critics warn guts endangered species protections to help developers while lowering the fees builders must pay for new parks and other infrastructure. The bill also restores some of the sweeping powers of the former Ontario Municipal Board, which critics long characterized as too friendly to developers. The Ford government says the moves are needed to get more housing supply onto the Toronto area's tight market. Mr. Clark says he will consult municipalities on the new system for making developers contribute to community benefits.

Spokespeople for Toronto Mayor John Tory and the city's chief planner, Gregg Lintern, said Wednesday morning they not yet seen the details of the province's changes to the midtown and downtown plans. The mayor was notified Tuesday evening that the changes were coming.

Downtown City Councillor Joe Cressy, a frequent critic of Premier Doug Ford, said he has been told the downtown plan known as TOcore, which he worked on for years and was meant to guide growth for the next quarter century, is basically finished.

"It's like the Wild West for developers. I've never seen anything like it," Mr. Cressy said Wednesday.

Internal provincial government memos summarizing the province's changes to the plans, obtained by The Globe and Mail, say city council reduced the densities first proposed by the city’s planners before approving its midtown plan. The memo says the province would scrap the midtown plan’s current height limits, and consider a larger, 200-250-metre area around transit stations as ripe for intensification.

The changes would make both plans more flexible, and remove “prescriptive process requirements” such as access to sunlight, allowing such criteria to be evaluated on a “site by site basis,” the memo reads. And while the province would maintain the city’s requirement for units with multiple bedrooms, it would scrap the minimum square footage requirements in the original plans. The changes to the downtown plan, the memo says, would recognize the need for “larger floorplates for some employment buildings” as well as the need for residential uses near university campuses.

Mr. Clark told The Globe on Tuesday that the additional density near transit stations is needed to “leverage” the government’s $28.5-billion plan for public transit in Toronto, for which the province has so far committed $11.2-billion. That plan includes a second subway extension north into York Region, and major alterations to the city’s proposed downtown relief subway.

The province’s rewriting of the plans comes amid a controversy over municipal funding cuts, and after Mr. Ford unilaterally chopped the number of Toronto city councillors almost in half last summer.

YIMBY supply side activists have been asking for provincial intervention against municipal councils they feel are too NIMBY influenced for a long while. This sort of provincial intervention could potentially be a good thing, but the devil is in the details of what is being proposed here. Most progressive YIMBYs are probably interested in this sort of intervention in order to end the prohibition against any and all development in wealthy single family home areas, however from this article it doesn't appear that this policy from Ford goes that far. It appears that it is simply raising the allowed heights of high-rises that will be built on various brownfield lands already set aside for redevelopment. Good news for the big developers that hold those lands.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 6, 2019

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Technically it’s not genocide but you see the population has a high birth rate so it’s all good :smug:

Also wont someone think of the poor men?
:goonsay:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Femtosecond posted:

YIMBY supply side activists have been asking for provincial intervention against municipal councils they feel are too NIMBY influenced for a long while. This sort of provincial intervention could potentially be a good thing, but the devil is in the details of what is being proposed here. Most progressive YIMBYs are probably interested in this sort of intervention in order to end the prohibition against any and all development in wealthy single family home areas, however from this article it doesn't appear that this policy from Ford goes that far. It appears that it is simply raising the allowed heights of high-rises that will be built on various brownfield lands already set aside for redevelopment. Good news for the big developers that hold those lands.

Yeah this is going to be the worst of both worlds - bougie SFHs will remain pristinely untouchable because there's no way a conservative government is going to get in the way of that, but we'll definitely see a whole loving lot of even smaller shithole skyboxes going up every goddamn where.

I was reading a couple weeks back (when the cons were talking the reintroduction of the OMB through this bill) about how the developer-friendliness of the OMB turbofucked the city's plans and lead to places like North York having populations now that were projected for 2040 without even close to the supporting infrastructure. It's fun walking past condos under development and seeing the 'don't move here if you have kids because there's no chance in hell of you getting a spot at a local school' signs.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Alizee posted:

IMO Canada has done lots of genocide to indigenous people, but the MAMIW is more regular racism playing out through systematic oppression.

What the report does is frame MMIWG through the lens of genocide, not say that MMIWG would be sufficient to be qualified as genocide if it were the only thing that happened.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

What the report does is frame MMIWG through the lens of genocide, not say that MMIWG would be sufficient to be qualified as genocide if it were the only thing that happened.

That nuance has been completely (and deliberately) overlooked by the media surrounding the reports. All I've heard on CBC is that the missing and murdered indigenous women constitute genocide, which has every honky knee jerking to "well, actually..." about it. To say nothing of the more right-wing media.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
The public service needs to be monitored for work day usage/function instead of loving with pay indiscriminately. There's offices run by the Ontario government that sit empty with functionally infinite time off (and very high compensation to boot); staff will go on vacation for weeks but it's treated as 'working from home' (this isn't registered or collected anywhere). It's an endemic issue present in many of the "research" based OPS etc. organizations that have no oversight and have 5+ staff dedicated to churning out some half assed report every 6 months.

Then the more 'front end' public sector staff who deal with normal people and the private sector directly get hosed by clown shows like this. In many cases these staff work outside of their specified hours to assist time-intensive projects (this is common in energy & infrastructure) to avoid totally loving schedules and the broader public since the gov imposes heavy regulation but doesn't scale its staff to actually help enforce anything. That or the lack of assistance causes huge delays that the government ends up paying in part over lawsuits etc. later.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Square Peg posted:

That nuance has been completely (and deliberately) overlooked by the media surrounding the reports. All I've heard on CBC is that the missing and murdered indigenous women constitute genocide, which has every honky knee jerking to "well, actually..." about it. To say nothing of the more right-wing media.

Feature, bug, etc.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I know I'm preaching to the choir here but let's all take a moment and remember what Andrew Scheer said when he voted against same-sex marriage in 2005: https://openparliament.ca/debates/2005/4/5/andrew-scheer-1/only/

quote:

There is nothing more important to society than the raising of children, for its very survival requires it.

Homosexual unions are by nature contradictory to this. There is no complementarity of the sexes. Two members of the same sex may use their God-given free will to engage in acts, to cohabit and to own property together. They may commit themselves to monogamy. They may pledge to remain in a loving relationship for life. In that sense they have many of the collateral features of marriage, but they do not have its inherent feature, as they cannot commit to the natural procreation of children. They cannot therefore be married.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

And this is why I'm banning marriage for post-menopausal women, men with erectile disfunction, people who - hey where are you going?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I can only speak for healthcare but to be honest we already have massive retention issues due to the pay. Like the organization I'm at year over year raises were already capped at a maximum of 5% or so, but in reality it almost never exceeded inflation. Hell sometimes they were sub-inflation already, but at least they had the option to throw a little bit more at someone they didn't want to leave as a gesture if needed. And that's on top of pay that's a hell of a lot lower than equivalent private sector jobs to start with.

I can see a lot of older folks are sticking it out for the pension but sub-inflation raises for 3 years, especially in the more expensive cities, is going to cause a hell of a lot of people under 40 to leave.

I'm also guessing this might be why we recently had a several key high profile people suddenly leave for positions in other provinces and the US.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

odiv posted:

And this is why I'm banning marriage for post-menopausal women, men with erectile disfunction, people who - hey where are you going?

Anyone with a vasectomy, anyone thats sterile or barren, hell, let's just ban birth control altogether. I'm Andrew Scheer and I'm weirdly obsessed with government control over procreation.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

This too, some government fields need genuine experts in very high paying fields. Scrutinize the individual offices/function but never do such a broad sweeping act (unless we're in like a cataclysm or something I guess). It's frustrating when there's simultaneously a lot of grift (which leads to hatred towards the public sector) and great public servants getting hosed on the regular

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RBC posted:

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but let's all take a moment and remember what Andrew Scheer said when he voted against same-sex marriage in 2005: https://openparliament.ca/debates/2005/4/5/andrew-scheer-1/only/

cool good to know Andrew Scheer thinks my heterosexual marriage is illegitimate because we neither have nor want children

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I mean I used to work in the private sector and the scrutiny we're under here is loving strict compared to anything I ever experienced at my old jobs, even prior to Ford.

The salary bit is especially a big problem for things like government engineering positions, since even with collective agreements it's often the boomers loving over younger generations during negotiations. I've got a buddy who used to work at the MTO and starting EIT salaries have, forget not keeping pace with inflation, actually been dropping year over year to the point they're hard pressed to get decent people. If they have to throw something under the bus it's always the salaries of the younger members.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

vyelkin posted:

cool good to know Andrew Scheer thinks my heterosexual marriage is illegitimate because we neither have nor want children
I mean not really, he just wants to have the lightest possible cover against charges of homophobia. Dick.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Abraham Lincoln has been credited with this quote, which goes something like this, “How many legs would a dog have if you counted the tail as a leg?” The answer is just four. Just because a tail is called a leg does not make it a leg. If Bill C-38 passes, governments and individual Canadians will be forced to call a tail a leg, nothing more, but that is not inconsequential, for its effect on marriage, such an integral building block of our society, would have far-reaching effects. -- Andrew Scheer

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Will all back-to-work legislation invoke the notwithstanding clause? Because otherwise, any attempt to constrain the mediator to a 1% increase will result in a court modifying the settlement in the unions' favor (assuming they sue, which they will).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Are you suggesting the Ford government has passed an ill-considered and possibly illegal bit of legislation?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
BC Ed Chat:

Met with my local MLA to discuss the issues at the bargaining table. They were (or pretended to be, if I'm being cynical) largely oblivious to what's been going on and were slightly indignant at the idea that Horgan was misrepresenting what the NDP has done for education.

Recap:
Almost all new funding that is being touted by the NDP is a consequence of the SCC win, or funding obligations that are beyond NDP control. Capital investment (i.e. seismic upgrades, new playgrounds, etc) are very welcome, but the NDP have provided very little additional funding to operations (teacher salary, specialist teacher ratios, per-pupil funding etc.)

The current employer (i.e. BCPSEA) proposals indicate a commitment to undoing the SCC win by...
  • increasing class size limits for grades 4-12. They are currently asking for an increase to 33 students per classroom.
  • removing composition ratios (i.e. no limit on the number of higher-need/designated/IEP students per teacher/classroom). This is touted as a win for inclusion, but what it will do in practice is further deteriorate classroom conditions (especially in high-need areas) by permitting less individualized time for each student in the room, whether or not they are on an IEP. Most school districts with composition language are already failing to abide by their contract language, and are treating the ratios like caps instead of minimums. Removing the ratios altogether will make the situation far worse.
  • removing ratios for individual specialist teachers. What is being proposed is a new ratio of 1 specialist teacher per ~95 students, but it will be up to the board which types of specialist are hired. Specialist roles include teacher librarians, Learning Services Teachers, Speech-Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, etc. To put it in context, my high school would probably lose at least two full-time specialist teachers under this formula, on top of the four EAs we're losing next year, and we're already stretched burnout-thin.

BC students are already among the worst funded in the country, and BC teachers are the second-lowest paid. My district alone would be receiving an additional $4 - 6 million/year right now if funding as a percentage of the provincial budget remained unchanged after Liberals took power in 2001. There have been huge cuts. Yet, if the employer/NDP get their way, there will be job losses throughout the province, and services will be cut for the majority of students.

There isn't a single employer proposal on the table that articulates any desire for the education system except for it to cost less. There is no vision, no initiative. Ontario's education woes are getting all the press because Ford is a bombastic jackass, but what the NDP & BCPSEA have tabled in BC is equally ruinous. Importantly, BCPSEA's hands are tied. Unless their funding envelope is increased, or their mandate is radically redefined/reinterpreted, then we are at an impasse. But that is up to the NDP, and the NDP is still behaving like they're the Liberals circa 2014.

just another fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 6, 2019

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
“People who bitch against my cuts aren’t real people. They’re fake people” -Doug “Buck-a-beer” Ford, beer golem.

“The bee movie but every time UQUAM is on strike it goes faster”

“Laïcité law: “this law will appease society” - Bernard Drainville””
Meanwhile; selection of clippings about islamophobic attacks during the “Chartre des valeurs québécoises” in 2013

“When Elizabeth May spoke about building the pipeline, I immediately knew she was on our side” - Big Chungus, head of some Albertan tar sand company or other.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

This along with the flood of editorials about how <National Post columnist X> would love to help the natives, they really would, such a shame there, but sadly the report was TOO MEAN and therefore the recommendations will be ignored. There’s just nothing the entire editorial staff of the NP can do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

MikeSevigny posted:

This along with the flood of editorials about how <National Post columnist X> would love to help the natives, they really would, such a shame there, but sadly the report was TOO MEAN and therefore the recommendations will be ignored. There’s just nothing the entire editorial staff of the NP can do about it.

yep, the excuses sometimes change but the point is to never do anything about it ever

https://twitter.com/Hayden_King/status/1135680986803560449