Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just watched a contrast paint on a tank vid and it didn't work well at all. I don't know if I'll bother with it outside of maybe something really specific coming up because I like my current methods and think the results are better. I'll have a think about it for fish mounts or fish elves themselves but I reckon a fast gradient airbrush then inks or washes will be better and take the same amount of time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m going to feel like an idiot for buying $30 worth of green if a single contrast and drybrush will do the same thing lol

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah it definitely seems like it won't be helpful for large flat surfaces, which makes sense since the whole idea is based on the way it flows into crevices and creates a gradient. But this video where he paints a carnosaur in 40 minutes definitely made me a believer for anything organic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93PBRqZ8r4U

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
That yellow on the carnosaur looks awful. I like that blue for skipping a wash though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The yellow is a bit too green I think but that blue is slick as gently caress imho.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Professor Shark posted:

I’m going to feel like an idiot for buying $30 worth of green if a single contrast and drybrush will do the same thing lol

Get into historicals, where you still, somehow, always have the wrong green.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
x-posting these boys and girls:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Holy loving poo poo.

:vince: x 15

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JBP posted:

Just watched a contrast paint on a tank vid and it didn't work well at all. I don't know if I'll bother with it outside of maybe something really specific coming up because I like my current methods and think the results are better. I'll have a think about it for fish mounts or fish elves themselves but I reckon a fast gradient airbrush then inks or washes will be better and take the same amount of time anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-UmUq0e9g4

It actually turns out looking better than I expected but also this isn't at all the use case for Contrast.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Mother of gently caress these rule so hard.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Harvey Mantaco posted:

That yellow on the carnosaur looks awful. I like that blue for skipping a wash though.

I'm excited to try that blue for the robes of my AdMech.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

It actually turns out looking better than I expected but also this isn't at all the use case for Contrast.

Mother of gently caress these rule so hard.

Yikes, a standard basecoat and edge hightlight would look way better.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Awesome. What did you do for basing? It looks like a mix of agrellan earth and astrogranite.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the 40K thread:

JackMann posted:

Got stuck a bit longer on deployment than I thought. While I'm waiting to get travel home taken care of, I've been taking advantage of the downtime to paint a painboy.

Learned a few things in making the base, like the fact that you need a primer over oxid paste or the paint won't stick well enough. Maybe went a little heavy on the blood spatter, but I'm happy enough with the overall effect.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

This looks like something that matches my quality of painting, to give you an idea of how bad this looks.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
To be honest, I'm more interested in seeing what the competition does with something like Contrasts. I don't know if it'd even be possible, but doing it as an additive to mix in with your regular paints would be rad. I just don't know if I'd want to use Contrast paints enough to buy a wide range of them, since the results look great for some stuff, but just ok (or even bad!) for others.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Games Workshop is advertising these as paints meant for battle ready figures. So like if you're looking to do the sort of stuff we typically do and show off in this thread, then contrast paints are a bad buy apparently. One of the things that is confusing to me is GWS describing how certain colors look bad ontop of contrast paints. Does this apple to layer/base paints as well? I don't think they have clarified.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Contrast paints are made for two reasons: people new to the hobby, and those wanting to bang out an army to tabletop standard quickly.

Can people more experienced with painting find a use for it? Oh yeah, for sure. I'll probably pick up a bottle or two to play around with to see how they work. I'd love it if I could find a non-airbrush method to get a good red or yellow coverage with minimal effort, and Contrasts will likely help massively for when I'm doing Bloodbowl commissions.

But will they become a staple of my painting rack? Eeeeh, probably not.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm not expecting brilliant results with 'em. I'm just hoping for something that will let me knock out a box of boyz in less than the two to three weeks it currently takes me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm looking at it from a different perspective; there's nothing preventing you from hitting the Contrast-painted model with a varnish and then adding more to it. I already do a lot of work with transparent colors (inks, washes, etc) so this looks like a really fun suite of colors to work with. Give people a year or two to play with them and I suspect the results will be even more impressive.

A few things I've gathered from the videos:

1. The lightest color you produce will always be in the beginning. Contrast is an inherently darkening process, so starting off as bright as possible is critical.

2. Contrast requires... contrast in order to work. Because the paint is so thin it's easy to pool, especially on flat surfaces. Your best bet is to use it on complex, geometrically interesting items as opposed to something like the flat armor of a tank.

3. This is not a paint system for sloppy painters. You have to be extremely careful with overages; the translucency of the paint means you'll get a mixed color (which could be cool) instead of coverage. You have to re-prime and then re-paint.

4. Interesting things occurs with multiple passes. You can establish a gradient,

5. You're not restricted to the primer colors. For example it's possible to apply Contrast over something like a metallic.

Overall this seems like a powerful set of tools. I plan on getting the complete set.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I think I'm probably really close to the target audience and I'm really excited for them. I truly enjoy painting for a while, but being a terrible painter it's bracketed by anxiety from being intimidated by the model to quickly building frustration as paint is not behaving the way I want it to.

These paints feel like they will free up a lot of mental space for working on technique incrementally rather than facing the whole challenge at once.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I could see contrast working on vehicles that don't have huge expanses of flat surfaces like a rhino and has some 'texture' to their surface. I'd be curious to see how it works on a Taurox or some Chaos Daemon engine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I think I'm probably really close to the target audience and I'm really excited for them. I truly enjoy painting for a while, but being a terrible painter it's bracketed by anxiety from being intimidated by the model to quickly building frustration as paint is not behaving the way I want it to.

These paints feel like they will free up a lot of mental space for working on technique incrementally rather than facing the whole challenge at once.

I think the idea that I could knock a miniature out in an hour is really exciting to me, especially for small projects like Blood Bowl, Necromunda, and Rogue Trader. Anything that gets me to address the backlog and try out new things will be great.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
I might actually finish this one day. God this room has so much dust in it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'm the 20 year old textured wallpaper.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I'm really looking forward to these contrast paints so I can knock out my greebly-rear end second army.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Knobb Manwich posted:

Hey Melbourne goons, where do you get your gaming stuff from? I've been thinking about picking up some supplies depending on how many old paints I can salvage. I live a fair few hours away, but every few months I'm in the city and could pick up stuff in person. It'd be a nice way to temper my usual buy way too loving much poo poo at once when getting back in.

To add to the list;

House of War in Ringwood carries a lot of good brands like scale, gamers grass, and a bunch of others that I struggle to find elsewhere. Also Schraff / Windsor newton brushes.

Battlefield Hobbies in Brooklyn/West Footscray carries the full scale colour range, as well as a lot of oils, AK interactive modelling supplies, some airbrushes etc

And then for ordering online I'd recommend Mightyape, or BNA Modelworld

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I definitely think Contrast paints will be useful for more than just banging out a decent-looking army quickly, but I don't think I want to buy a bunch of them when in practice, I probably wouldn't use them all that often. That's why I'm hoping for a Contrast additive, since it would let me use the range of colors I already have. Even if you mixed it in with inks or something, that would be a big improvement on having to buy a bunch of new paints.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, I definitely think Contrast paints will be useful for more than just banging out a decent-looking army quickly, but I don't think I want to buy a bunch of them when in practice, I probably wouldn't use them all that often. That's why I'm hoping for a Contrast additive, since it would let me use the range of colors I already have. Even if you mixed it in with inks or something, that would be a big improvement on having to buy a bunch of new paints.

They're going to be selling contrast medium.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh really? I hadn't heard that. I'll definitely have to check that out.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I’m pretty sure they’ve said that mixing contrast paints or medium with non contrast stuff will ruin the contrast effect.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

I really wish he wasn't metal, the details are so poor. I don't think it was a terrible effort, but I'm getting better.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Inspector_666 posted:

Looks like it's just meant to thin out Contrast paints, so that you could create a wash or tint. It doesn't seem like it will turn another paint in Contrast.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I was planning on using them to do small parts of models, being able to get reasonable looking cloth/leather/bone can actually save a ton of time even if the rest of the model is done conventionally.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I'm the 20 year old textured wallpaper.

God bless, you think its only 20 years old.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
One thing I think these might be useful for is knocking out a bunch of Bones models. I think they might be pretty useful there, though it'll need some experimenting to see first.

As always with Bones, the primer issue is going to come up. Will the paint adhere and look nice on Bones without primer? Will the contrast primers interact nicely with Bones, or will they have the perma-tacky problem? How do the contrast paints look on non-GW primers? Can I hit a Bones mini with an airbrush of Vallejo white and then have the contrast paints play nice with it?

I've got a ton of Bones minis, and being able to knock a few of them out really fast for a D&D game appeals to me.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Marzipan Pig posted:

I might actually finish this one day. God this room has so much dust in it.

It's good to have you posting again, I remember your Tzeentch birds!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That knight is one of my favourite things I’ve seen here for a while.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
Is his crotch distractingly shiney? I can't decide if I need to tone down the big mechanical crotch.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

JackMann posted:

One thing I think these might be useful for is knocking out a bunch of Bones models. I think they might be pretty useful there, though it'll need some experimenting to see first.

As always with Bones, the primer issue is going to come up. Will the paint adhere and look nice on Bones without primer? Will the contrast primers interact nicely with Bones, or will they have the perma-tacky problem? How do the contrast paints look on non-GW primers? Can I hit a Bones mini with an airbrush of Vallejo white and then have the contrast paints play nice with it?

I've got a ton of Bones minis, and being able to knock a few of them out really fast for a D&D game appeals to me.

Contrast paints work over any primer, but you don't want to go much darker than medium grey. Can't say if they would work on unprimed bones models, but my guess would be no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I had assumed it'd get a wash or something to tone it down a notch.