Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I wasn't trying to dunk on anyone :shrug:

I mean this thread is full of people overreacting to opinions but honestly, I expected at least 1 person to freak out when I said PoE2 is mediocre as hell, but not for the reason of "you have an issue with poorly-implemented D&D concepts? git gud you big baby :smug:"

If you look at PoE2 sales, I think you'll find that having any opinion on the game at all is unpopular :v:

E: there are also some items which scale with skills- not many and the effects tend to be pretty minimal, but that's at least a little added value to investing in a skill. Since you already own the game, the turn-based mode may be worth a try. I find it pretty fun myself, though a bit slow

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

these Barkley 2 assets the former devs are sharing look great, such a shame

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Sonic isn't very good

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

To be fair, pretty much all PC RPGs are irredeemable garbage.

"Hey I got Hero of Calamity 6, the one everyone calls the best WRPG ever."
"Oh cool, what character did you try to start as."
"Trying to do a bow rogue. Building up on cunning and going for crits, with evasion skills to protect myself."
"Oh. Cunning has been bugged since release and they never fixed it. It literally does nothing. Also, there are no high-end bows, and the evasion skills are affected by cunning so they're basically useless."
"Oh, that's a shame. Are there any mods to fix that?"
"Yeah there's one, but it changes all of your followers to anime futa girls with dicks that drag across the ground. The creator threatened to kill anyone who separated the fixes from his 'vision.'"
"Well then, what's a good character for a beginner?"
"The only one that anyone plays is a pre-made mage character that dies in one hit and you have to click like a madman, and you have to grind really hard for plasma vials because every time he attacks, he consumes one, and it uses one of those lovely systems where you can only use like a few spells a day."
"NVM gonna go back and play Dragon Age again or something."

Every RPG grognard: "Oh come those games are for baby casuals. Origins especially because Morrigan has a bugged line near the end that destroys the game for me."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Apparently in the glorious land of America you can exhibit insane behaviour and receive absolutely no help or support wow loving owned

its america they don't have help for the people muttering conspiracy theories on the street corners and sleeping in gutters. digging holes is low on the mental health problem scale (unless you are digging holes on someone elses property, then you will get all the "help" you need)

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 6, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs
:yeshaha:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Apparently in the glorious land of America you can exhibit insane behaviour and receive absolutely no help or support wow loving owned

just so everyone knows this rear end in a top hat is a known shill for anti-hole industry

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

didn't the pc literally ascend to godhood already

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
This won't involve the same character, they're just using the name for brand recognition

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

didn't the pc literally ascend to godhood already

PC gaming is godliness, yes

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

2house2fly posted:

This won't involve the same character, they're just using the name for brand recognition

Yeah I feel like this really has to just be for marketing. I can't imagine it being a "Baldur's Gate" game in anything but name, because that's all it can be. The story is very complete, with no possible way to expand on it. A sequel is impossible without pushing a reset button so big it would make the new Stars Wars blush. A prequel is impossible because the main character would be a young child, and most of the other major characters weren't active. The main villains of the series are dead. And any story that doesn't involve the Bhaalspawn, Sarevok, or Irenicus really doesn't much of anything to with the original series.

It'll probably just be some tangentially related adventure with a few familiar locations and cameos thrown in, with completely different game mechanics because the original ran on fricking D&D 2.5. The Baldur's Gate name is there for the marketing boost. I suppose they could try some spinoff set in Time of Troubles or giving some side character their own game, like the adventures of Minsc or something, but honestly that sounds kinda lovely and stupid, and it would be a transparent nostalgia cash in.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

"Baldur's Gate" is the name of a city. My guess is, it's called baldur's gate because it is set there

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

"Baldur's Gate" is the name of a city. My guess is, it's called baldur's gate because it is set there

I know you're joking, but it is kind of funny that the titular city is never featured at all in Baldur's Gate 2.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 6, 2019

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hey did you know I had the title line in Star Wars?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Hey did you know I had the title line in Star Wars?

Oh yeah you were that guy who said he was tired of all these Star Wars!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

it won't even be D&D. the guys making this baldurs gate game have decided that dice rolls are unfun and need to be taken out. i think its going to be more like baldurs gate: Dark Alliance:
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gat...ef9DafkBc2910_A

quote:

Baldur's Gate 3 will similarly give players lots of tools and then let them have at it. "We'll stay true to our roots," says Vincke, "so we'll give players lots of systems, and lots of agency to use these systems and try to accomplish what you need to on your adventure. That's not going to change; that's the core of what we're doing."

There are some things on the chopping block, however. It's an interpretation of D&D, specifically 5th Edition, because porting the core rules, which Larian tried to do, doesn't work. Or it works, Vincke clarifies, but it's no fun at all. One of the culprits is missing when you're trying to hit an enemy, and while the combat system has yet to be revealed, you can at least look forward to being able to smack people more consistently.

"You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's poo poo. Our approach has been implementing it as pure as we can, and then just seeing what works and what doesn't. Stuff that doesn't work, we start adapting until it does."

This interpretation should still be more true to the tabletop RPG than its predecessors, however, capturing the feel of D&D even if it's not borrowing every single system and rule. Some of this is because of a difference in technology. Black Isle faced a lot of limitations that Larian doesn't. The studio has invested heavily in this side of things, as well as in staff, who now number in the hundreds. Internally, 200 people are working on Baldur's Gate 3, while another hundred are working on it externally.
Party planner
Advertisement

To save Baldur's Gate you'll need a party of heroes, and like a typical D&D party they're all the protagonists of their own stories, each with their own motivations and ambitions. When you make a character, you'll be filling in your character sheet, essentially, not just with abilities and skills, but backgrounds, personality traits and ideals. If you make a Mage, you'll be able to look at the last pages of your Players Handbook and find, for the most, exactly same spells. You'll have all the pieces you need to make a D&D adventurer.

While he's not ready to confirm that it will feature in Baldur's Gate 3, Vincke's also interested in taking another crack at Original Sin 2's origin system, which gives players premade characters with unique backgrounds, quests and talents. They're better defined than their custom counterparts, and more connected to the world.

"I thought the origin stories were a really good addition to the RPG genre, like we did them, and it would be strange if we went back on that," he says. "The ambitions for the origin stories in Original Sin 2 were actually higher than what we managed to do, though we did it well if you think about all that we fit in there, but there's so much more that can be done with it. I'd certainly be interested in exploring it."

You'll be controlling your whole party, but Baldur's Gate 3 will also let you strike out on an adventure with pals. Larian's not ready to spill the beans on how the multiplayer system will work, but something resembling their last two co-op systems seems likely, letting each player choose exactly where to go and what to do independent of the rest of the party. It's how it works in D&D, too, where parties can split up and one player might be getting sozzled in the tavern while another is trying to pilfer a relic from a nearby temple.

Despite the success of Larian's last two Kickstarters, it won't be going down the crowdfunding route this time. It's in large part to those successes that it doesn't need to. Larian will still be publishing the game itself, as well as involving the community and posting regular updates. For prospective players wanting to follow the game's development, there won't be much of a change. For Larian, though, it's the studio's greatest challenge, and when players finally get to return to Baldur's Gate, Vincke thinks they'll be very surprised by what they find.

"We're going beyond what we've done before to make it the game it deserves to be. That sounds like a slogan—it is a slogan—but it's true."

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Gonna break with the grognards here and say that d&d mechanics may have been the worst part of all the infinity engine games

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Rutibex posted:

it won't even be D&D. the guys making this baldurs gate game have decided that dice rolls are unfun and need to be taken out. i think its going to be more like baldurs gate: Dark Alliance:
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gat...ef9DafkBc2910_A

D&D had an entire couple year advertising message where the entire slogan was “Don’t split the party.”

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Saying "roll-to-hit is bad game design" as a blanket statement is kind of lol. Like it's really all about the implementation and how it functions within the game. It can be good, or it can be bad.

Like yeah we've all seen terrible roll-to-hit mechanics. Morrowind is a good example of roll-to-hit done poorly. But lol has this guy never heard of XCOM? Or FTL? They roll dice to hit and people love them!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

All I know about Baldur's Gate is that my most annoying childhood friend would not. shut. the. gently caress. up. about it and so I'm very nonplussed to see a new one.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

mind the walrus posted:

All I know about Baldur's Gate is that my most annoying childhood friend would not. shut. the. gently caress. up. about it and so I'm very nonplussed to see a new one.

Your annoying childhood friend was right (well, partially. BG2 is the good one, not BG1).

Gnarly Sheen
Jun 25, 2015

I'm ITT

:itwaspoo:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Saying "roll-to-hit is bad game design" as a blanket statement is kind of lol. Like it's really all about the implementation and how it functions within the game. It can be good, or it can be bad.

Like yeah we've all seen terrible roll-to-hit mechanics. Morrowind is a good example of roll-to-hit done poorly. But lol has this guy never heard of XCOM? Or FTL? They roll dice to hit and people love them!

XCOM's system is terrible and people only put up with it because of what the rest of the game does so well. The most die-hard fans of them even tell you that you should save-scum.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

itsmybirthday_2day posted:

• RPGs that give you enough skill points or level ups or whatever to max everything are not fun. Make me use my brain a little bit. And I'm boring enough in rl, let my character have an identity via a build at least. A good RPG should only give me the option to be proficient in like 25-30% of the stuff depending on my build. Games that let you get access to all the skills or whatever should just ditch pretending to be an RPG and give you access to everything from the start and be designed around it. Not every game needs an inconsequential leveling system.
  • The Witcher 3 is boring as poo poo.

You're playing RPGs wrong, just like everyone else who has ever used the word "build" referring to an RPG PC. HTH.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hahaha they're making a Baldur's Gate 3 and they're acting like it's a big deal because it has that name.

Hey lets make an RPG and name it after the poo poo-tier RPG that doomed us to two decades of real time with pause battle systems, that'll surely draw many dollars.

BALDURS GATE SUCKED REAL TIME WITH PAUSE SUCKED

Miniature Giant Space Hamster ahahaha go for the eyes boo monkey cheese rocket ship!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

In dnd it makes sense because you're down in the weeds rolling dice and everything has significance but in the infinity engine for example your party is just rolling away automatically a few times a second and if you notice that your dudes are missing a lot you have to stop the game dig through a combat log and then only if you already understand thac0 can you make sense of it. This makes for bad gameplay, in a computer game

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 6, 2019

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I preffered Baldurs Gate 1 over 2, starting the journey from the characters origin was just a more interesting premise to me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I don't know why it would be confusing, they were popular games.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Hahaha they're making a Baldur's Gate 3 and they're acting like it's a big deal because it has that name.

Hey lets make an RPG and name it after the poo poo-tier RPG that doomed us to two decades of real time with pause battle systems, that'll surely draw many dollars.

BALDURS GATE SUCKED REAL TIME WITH PAUSE SUCKED

Miniature Giant Space Hamster ahahaha go for the eyes boo monkey cheese rocket ship!
Didn't Original Sin 2 have an epic squirrel knight as a party member? Bioware-tone stuff sounds like a good match for them

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

In dnd it makes sense because you're down in the weeds rolling dice and everything has significance but in the infinity engine for example your party is just rolling away automatically a few times a second and if you notice that your dudes are missing a lot you have to stop the game dig through a combat log and then only if you already understand thac0 can you make sense of it. This makes for bad gameplay, in a computer game

the answer to this is to use a wiimote or motion controls to make the player roll virtual dice on screen for every roll they would have had to make in the tabletop game

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

2house2fly posted:

I don't know why it would be confusing, they were popular games.
I'm using the informal definition. I'm sure I would have liked them, but my friend wouldn't stop talking about it to the point where I just lost interest.

poverty goat posted:

:agreed: It works in turn-based, but not real-time with pause.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

:agreed: It works in turn-based, but not real-time with pause.

i never played baldurs gate in real time. too much poo poo was happening all at once, so i set it to pause at the end of every round just like the tabletop game. it would have been better as a strictly turn based system, with a grid imho

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

poverty goat posted:

Yeah, in D&D you can roll a miss and your DM can be just like "You swing but the elf deftly dodges your strike" or "You have trouble tracking your target and your arrow misses." When you're actually showing a miss in a video game, you really have to bring it, or it is going to look and feel super dumb that for some reason your war hammer missed the buffalo 2 inches in front of you, or your character snapped his gun ninety degrees into the air just before pulling the trigger.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plus in D&D tiles are said to take up a 5'x5' or 10'x10' space, at DM's discretion, or something proportionate if they use a hex grid. That sounds like an awful lot of room to the abstract brain, but when you represent it visually in a game it's a lot harder to rationalize the misses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DnD's miss mechanics being poo poo have been expounded on for decades and its poo poo for just such a plethora of reasons that it baffles me anyone would want to use it unchanged.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Plan Z posted:

XCOM's system is terrible and people only put up with it because of what the rest of the game does so well. The most die-hard fans of them even tell you that you should save-scum.

Literally untrue, especially on these forums. Come to the XCOM2 thread, and not a single person there is advocating for save-scumming. Have you considered that maybe you're just bad at the game and are projecting?

Regarding Baldur's Gate 3, I'd care more about an announcement video if it featured literally anything about the game itself, rather than a rendered mini-movie made by an unrelated studio.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Serephina posted:

Literally untrue, especially on these forums. Come to the XCOM2 thread, and not a single person there is advocating for save-scumming. Have you considered that maybe you're just bad at the game and are projecting?

Regarding Baldur's Gate 3, I'd care more about an announcement video if it featured literally anything about the game itself, rather than a rendered mini-movie made by an unrelated studio.

Yeah, there are literal interviews with the lead where the dude is flabbergasted at iron man being popular at all, let alone the norm. He expected it to be a wierd, niche setting for die hards who had already beaten the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Serephina posted:

Literally untrue, especially on these forums. Come to the XCOM2 thread, and not a single person there is advocating for save-scumming.

I immediately knew that what that guy said was stupid but didn't want to expend effort combating his post. Thanks for doing it for me.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Serephina posted:

Aanyone I've ever talked to including the Goons who post there and the guy who wrote the OP, has been just like "yeah, just save often during missions for when the game kills a character through no fault of your own." I'm not the type to load a save every time I take damage. I'll let the game take soldiers away, but when poo poo happens that is not due to a poor tactical decision on my part, I load up a save just like most people do. XCOM's chance to hit nonsense is stupid garbage and at a certain point involves nothing but a horribly-built RNG system. I play tons of strategy/tactics games, and overall like I said, XCOM does nearly everything else well and I like them overall (and 2 did go a decent way to fixing problems). Which just makes the chance to hit thing seem that much more baffling when a talented team still has such a bad system in their games.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

XCOM combat is bad because everything takes loving forever for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I have no interest in the entire wrpg genre