Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I haven't played a Steam game in like 2 years but by god you will take out my PC from my cold dead hands.

**1 year, and I still play games off the Blizzard launcher, so cast me in with the doomed---

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

doverhog posted:

I haven't played a Steam game in like 2 years but by god you will take out my PC from my cold dead hands.

Yes but statistically speaking you've purchased one recently. You just haven't played it yet.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Well yeah. X-COM was on sale recently. In case I lose my job I could really get back into fighting aliens.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

**1 year, and I still play games off the Blizzard launcher, so cast me in with the doomed---

Do you know why Frozen Throne would poo poo the bed hard with no changes to my system? I updated it to the latest version and now I can't get over 4 frames per second, online or off. I already did the fblock = 0 in Regedit, no one else has anything. Can't uninstall and reinstall either.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Some kind of driver issue maybe? I dunno, don't work in tech support... and don't want to try it now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The problem isn't really smartphones themselves, it's peoples' attitudes of expecting everyone to be available to be contacted at every waking hour of the day every day. The people who expect you to carry on a text conversation all day and complain when you take too long to respond etc are the real problem. Just because you can be on call for your friends/family/work all the time doesn't mean you should.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Tubgoat posted:

Do you know why Frozen Throne would poo poo the bed hard with no changes to my system? I updated it to the latest version and now I can't get over 4 frames per second, online or off. I already did the fblock = 0 in Regedit, no one else has anything. Can't uninstall and reinstall either.

Also can someone explain why Assasins Creed 3 is not playable with a bluetooth controller? It's very vexing. Also what thread is this?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Skratchez posted:

Also can someone explain why Assasins Creed 3 is not playable with a bluetooth controller? It's very vexing. Also what thread is this?

PYF Complaints and Nonsequitors/General rear end in a top hat Chat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Any statement can be an opinion, and most are unpopular.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The problem isn't really smartphones themselves, it's peoples' attitudes of expecting everyone to be available to be contacted at every waking hour of the day every day. The people who expect you to carry on a text conversation all day and complain when you take too long to respond etc are the real problem. Just because you can be on call for your friends/family/work all the time doesn't mean you should.

This opinion is cool and good.

PHUO: Indoor cats > Outdoor cats

(But both are inferior to dogs)

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Jun 7, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Skratchez posted:

I can't use my bluetooth headphones while playing Doom 2016. It just cuts out and there's no audio.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The Mighty Moltres posted:

This opinion is cool and good.

PHUO: Indoor cats > Outdoor cats

(But both are inferior to dogs)

your opinion is also correct. Either have a pet and keep it inside, or have a wild animal that likes you and stays outside. Don't give me some crap about what the cat/dog "wants". They don't "want" anything the way we do, they just need sustenance and will take whatever else they can annoy you enough into giving them. Don't let your pet bully you, they'll be fine if they don't go outside every night to gently caress and kill some baby birds/rabbits..

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't use my bluetooth headphones while playing Doom 2016. It just cuts out and there's no audio.

I can't use Skype to talk to my homie in GTA: V

I don't want to talk to all of these kids on GTA chat I just want to coordinate with a friend.

Bill Gates needs to be indicted for this.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

No GTA is worth playing aside from san andreas. It's the perfect one. I tried older and the newer ones and they suck. I like to be the carl johnson and expand my territory listening to all my exes live in texas and i love a rainy night. The clunky controls (especially with flying) and stuff are just part of the fun.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I've never played a GTA game. Something about stealing cars and murdering hookers doesn't appeal to me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I've never played a GTA game. Something about stealing cars and murdering hookers doesn't appeal to me.

It's not "stealing" really, it's just extended borrowing.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

PHUO: Walking in rain is wonderful, especially when that rain turns into a downpour halfway through.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

No GTA is worth playing aside from san andreas. It's the perfect one. I tried older and the newer ones and they suck. I like to be the carl johnson and expand my territory listening to all my exes live in texas and i love a rainy night. The clunky controls (especially with flying) and stuff are just part of the fun.

GTA 4 was awful. No one ever finished it. San Andreas feat: Sam Jackson as Denzel in Training Day was perfect.

GTA 5 was amazing. Starts out with Fargo. Movie references abound. GTA V online is pretty rough. Rock* just gets hacked over and over again to the point where the single player game can be lost because someone did something to a server. You have to bail out when money starts dropping from the sky because all accounts are going to be banned.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

GTA IV is the best one actually

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Skratchez posted:

GTA 4 was awful. No one ever finished it. San Andreas feat: Sam Jackson as Denzel in Training Day was perfect.

GTA 5 was amazing. Starts out with Fargo. Movie references abound. GTA V online is pretty rough. Rock* just gets hacked over and over again to the point where the single player game can be lost because someone did something to a server. You have to bail out when money starts dropping from the sky because all accounts are going to be banned.

My problem with 5 is the multiple character thing. I just want to be one guy.

also the driving is too realistic. In SA I just plow through everything to get to my destination and usually go through at least a car or two to travel around 10 blocks. I played 5 for like 5 hours and kept flying out the windshield and it just wasn't fun.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

PHUO: Walking in rain is wonderful, especially when that rain turns into a downpour halfway through.

if it's just rain, sure. But if it's a thunderstorm it's a little more nervewracking. Try walking to work at a government lab as an intern with no access to any building except your trailer tucked way in the back and nothing to hide under and it starts hailing. Hail hurts.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

if it's just rain, sure. But if it's a thunderstorm it's a little more nervewracking. Try walking to work at a government lab as an intern with no access to any building except your trailer tucked way in the back and nothing to hide under and it starts hailing. Hail hurts.

That's when you hold your head to your chest and feel the ice stones hit your neck and back.
Unless it's that baseball-sized hail, in which case you're hosed.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Walking around in storms loving owns, unless you have papers and/or electronics in your pockets.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

hawowanlawow posted:

GTA IV is the best one actually

The thing is, Auto is right there in the name.

Driving in GTA 4 is just awful. It may be realistic but it's not fun.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Skratchez posted:

The thing is, Auto is right there in the name.

Driving in GTA 4 is just awful. It may be realistic but it's not fun.

the driving is the best part about it, and it isn't realistic at all

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Tubgoat posted:

Walking around in storms loving owns, unless you have papers and/or electronics in your pockets.

My uncle (who works at Nintendo) was struck by lightning twice.
Once when he was in his basement, the other time he was driving.
There is a 1 in 700,000 chance of any of us being struck by lightning one time.
He was hit twice while in the apparently safest locations to be in during a storm.
As far as I know, he hasn't developed the ability to shoot electricity from his hands, but one time during Easter dinner, he passed himself the salt by just looking at it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I agree and once spent like twenty minutes insisting to a cop that I was legit just walking in the storm because I liked it. He stopped me apparently because he saw me cut through an alley, which is doubly silly because if I was walking to actually get somewhere I would be even more likely to cut through an alley during a storm.

Joke’s on him cuz he had to stand out in the rain interrogating me.

Also agreed re: small hail

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Was slightly disappointed as this sentence progressed that this wasn't an opinion about the music of Grace Jones.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The new iPad OS's gestures and one, two, and three finger taps and clicks stuff looks way too complicated.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I don't know if this is really an unpopular opinion:

There is no need for the keyboard on a phone or tablet to be in QWERTY, unless you're one of those gods that can thumb-touch-type.

I wish physical keyboards would make a comeback, I hate getting errors in crossword puzzles just because my thumb HOVERED over the wrong letter.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I really wish there was a San Andreas Stories like there was a Vice City and Liberty City Stories so we could see some more of San Andreas in a throwback game. Set it like in 1989 before CJ returns with the minor variations in the other Stories games that make everything the same, yet different because it’s a few years earlier.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

loving :same:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Literally every new invention has been accused of all the current society's problems or had somebody claim that it will obliterate the human race.

People are still around, there's 7 billion of us, our population is growing, and poverty is on the decline worldwide. I doubt the smart phone is going to reverse those trends. Yeah it isn't perfect but it always takes time to iron out the kinks.

Granted part of that is because there's always That One rear end in a top hat that wants to be as much of a dick as possible with every new invention but, well, that's life.

I, for one, really enjoy the fact that I have pretty much the entirety of humanity's knowledge in my pocket. It doesn't matter what I need to look up. It's there, on the internet, somewhere.

Agreed but people really really need to get off of their loving phones while they are driving.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

rockinricky posted:

There is no need for the keyboard on a phone or tablet to be in QWERTY, unless you're one of those gods that can thumb-touch-type.

I'm sure you can download a replacement for the default keyboard that shows the keys in alphabetical order, but QWERTY is easier to find letters on for anyone who's used to that layout from every computer they've ever used in their entire life.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Murdering hookers is optional, and doing it frankly tells more about the player than the game. You can choose to be a good person and only murder people who look wealthy instead. Wearing a suit, driving a sports car, etc.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

doverhog posted:

Murdering hookers is optional, and doing it frankly tells more about the player than the game. You can choose to be a good person and only murder people who look wealthy instead. Wearing a suit, driving a sports car, etc.

I just stabbed a parking lot attendant. Which button do I press to turn myself in?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The bombings of nagasaki and hiroshima, and the firebombing of tokyo should be labeled as war crimes and subject to reparations to the families involved from the US government. People who defend that poo poo belong in prison.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All wars are crimes.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

The bombings of nagasaki and hiroshima, and the firebombing of tokyo should be labeled as war crimes and subject to reparations to the families involved from the US government. People who defend that poo poo belong in prison.

Do you wanna extend that same schema to Dresden or Berlin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

doverhog posted:

Do you wanna extend that same schema to Dresden or Berlin?

Sure, all of them were criminal acts that disproportionally targeted civilians. Somehow this is controversial in the US but basically nowhere else. The only reason the Dresden firebombing wasn't considered a war crime at the time was because the Hague conventions did not yet apply to airborne warfare, a legal technicality but clearly not an ethical issue. It was murder, mostly of women and children, especially in the case of Tokyo which was mostly women and children and which was bombed largely out of racist motives.