Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I've been reading manga on eReaders since the 3rd generation Kindle and my takeaway is that reading on an eReader is usually pretty decent, but it isn't the best way. Reading physical manga is my favorite way because you don't have to worry about factors like your screen being smaller than the original page and sometimes looking muddy or draining your battery depending on what screen refresh options you choose. But if you can't get the tankoban in hand to read for whatever reason, using an eReader is way better than reading on the phone or computer.
Your choice in eReader shouldn't matter too much, but if you plan on primarily reading manga you should go for a bigger screen with a better resolution if possible. Getting a refurbished 3rd gen Kindle would still be a fine way to read manga in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How's the ipad mini as an eReader? About half my reading is books and the other half is web stuff. I took a look at one in a store and I was impressed by the OS level ability to color invert since the screen being too bright at night is my biggest problem with my Kindle.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

LLSix posted:

How's the ipad mini as an eReader? About half my reading is books and the other half is web stuff. I took a look at one in a store and I was impressed by the OS level ability to color invert since the screen being too bright at night is my biggest problem with my Kindle.

If you jailbreak your Kindle, you can run an alternate reader that can lower screen brightness to an extremely dim value. Stock lowest brightness is somewhere around 4-5 IIRC, while KOReader can go to 1.

You also get the benefits of better organization and filetype availability.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Anyone pick up the new Nook Glowlight Plus? I was just reading some comments and someone mentioned BN sold out and I took for myself and sure enough, they are.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone pick up the new Nook Glowlight Plus? I was just reading some comments and someone mentioned BN sold out and I took for myself and sure enough, they are.

I admit I didn’t realize they even made ereaders still... I thought Amazon and Kobo were the only serious makers at this point.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I think the Barnes & Noble strategy is that there are people who want to have an ereader but also like going to the book store, so having the bookstore ereader that lets you do an hour of free reading in the store every day is a good compromise?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

im on the net me boys posted:

I think the Barnes & Noble strategy is that there are people who want to have an ereader but also like going to the book store, so having the bookstore ereader that lets you do an hour of free reading in the store every day is a good compromise?

I'm curious to see what the B&N sale will mean for the future:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/06/07/barnes-noble-sold-to-elliott-management/1378392001/

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

It probably means that that Investor group will sell off any profitable areas and then drop the rest to Amazon (more competition now with Walmart) because the FTC will be more open to an acquisition.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

LLSix posted:

I’ve used a mini and an Air 2, and I find both too tiring compared to my Sony Reader and my old Kobo, but they are functional and the Books app has some really nice features, like syncing progress across devices. It’s a YMMV situation, but try it if you already have the iPad, you have nothing to lose.

Deadguy2322 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 18, 2019

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
My Kindle Keyboard is starting to get slow and glitchy (its not indexing all the books on it). I'm looking at upgrading while the Summer discount is running, currently the Paperwhite 4 seems to be a better offer than the new Kindle. I've never filled my Kindle Keyboard but I've some graphics-heavy ebooks from Humble Bundles and some wargaming rulebooks I'd love to read on Kindle. I also have a number of DRM-free books from Gutenberg and other sources loaded on so I'm leaning towards the 32GB model.

What I'm wondering about is has anyone got a compelling argument for the 4G version at a £60-£70 premium over the wifi-only model for something I use mainly at home? I have wished I had it on occasion on holiday but honestly I don't go away that often.

Similarly am I being upsold here on the base Kindle wrongly?

Edit: Or conversely is there something amazing about the Kindle Oasis 2 I'm missing?

EdBlackadder fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 17, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

EdBlackadder posted:

My Kindle Keyboard is starting to get slow and glitchy (its not indexing all the books on it). I'm looking at upgrading while the Summer discount is running, currently the Paperwhite 4 seems to be a better offer than the new Kindle. I've never filled my Kindle Keyboard but I've some graphics-heavy ebooks from Humble Bundles and some wargaming rulebooks I'd love to read on Kindle. I also have a number of DRM-free books from Gutenberg and other sources loaded on so I'm leaning towards the 32GB model.

What I'm wondering about is has anyone got a compelling argument for the 4G version at a £60-£70 premium over the wifi-only model for something I use mainly at home? I have wished I had it on occasion on holiday but honestly I don't go away that often.

Similarly am I being upsold here on the base Kindle wrongly?

Stick with wifi if you only plan to use it at home. 4G makes more sense for frequent flyers. Base Kindle despite having a light now still has a lower PPI screen in comparison to the Paperwhite. You may not notice it going from a Keyboard to a base Kindle as I think they are the same PPI? Paperwhite is sharper in general and would make graphics a bit cleaner in your ebooks.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I used to have (and still stan) the Kindle Keyboard but in my personal experience since upgrading I would strongly recommend getting at least the Paperwhite over the base model, if only for the higher PPI. I've also never found that I've needed the cellular connection in a Kindle because I'm usually around wifi, and even then the times that I've not had it and needed it I've just tethered my phone. The Oasis is really fancy and has automatic light adjustment and those physical page turning buttons I miss, but even as a daily Kindle reader I don't think the expense is worth it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L5GDTYY/?coliid=INHYZUZYWVY8G&colid=3O7E0029IPRNE&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

New Kindle Oasis released with warmer backlight.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Well that’s an incremental as hell upgrade...

smr
Dec 18, 2002

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well that’s an incremental as hell upgrade...

Indeed, but it's the one thing I really wanted so I'm ponying up. Been reading on my Forma instead because I can tolerate the lighting for much longer in bed at night, but I miss Whispersync dearly.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I want the buttons so bad but not $250 bad.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

RichterIX posted:

I hear ya but they are damned nice. Can hold the thing forever and not have to move a finger to change pages; swiping sucks :)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I talked em into a discount, plus they had that turn in the old reader get a credit thing going. I forget how much I got mine for but I'm pretty sure it was south of 200.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

RichterIX posted:

Want a Kindle Voyage with a leather origami case? I like the buttons it has but man those Oasis buttons are definitely better.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Yeah, I'm going to also say the Oasis buttons are pretty great too. After messing with a Forma for a week, I really like the Oasis buttons more.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm upgrading the moment that adjustable backlight hits the paperwhite.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
Not having the Amazon ecosystem integrated sucks, but I can't imagine giving up having access to plato to read pdfs, wallabako to download my read later articles (like pocket/instapaper), and Overdrive integration to borrow books from your local libraries.

At this point I just buy ebooks from Amazon and download them into calibre to rip out the drm

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Waynebo posted:

Not having the Amazon ecosystem integrated sucks, but I can't imagine giving up having access to plato to read pdfs, wallabako to download my read later articles (like pocket/instapaper), and Overdrive integration to borrow books from your local libraries.

At this point I just buy ebooks from Amazon and download them into calibre to rip out the drm

Things like this + disliking the lurking empire that is Amazon is making me think about jumping ship when my Kindle dies.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the amazon system pretty far (multiple kindles, fire sticks, etc) but I still rip all my books, be it from them or from bn or whoever.

Just makes sense.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I've been getting drm-free files straight from publisher's online stores. Some of the small people will have exclusive sales, so it's hip to be on the email list for once.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Silly Burrito posted:

Want a Kindle Voyage with a leather origami case? I like the buttons it has but man those Oasis buttons are definitely better.

I told myself I wouldn't upgrade until my Paperwhite 2 breaks so never unfortunately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

I upgraded to a new Paperwhite from this and I miss that case more than anything. I don't particularly care about buttons and I don't like the size of the Oasis.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Endless Mike posted:

I upgraded to a new Paperwhite from this and I miss that case more than anything. I don't particularly care about buttons and I don't like the size of the Oasis.

Really? I ended up getting a cheap book-style case so I could fold it backwards to “feel” booklike. I tried all the different permutations of the origami case but never could get comfortable with it in my hand. As a stand though, it works great.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
All cases are awful, part of what makes a Paperwhite so good is it's really thin and light!

Also I went from a last gen to current gen solely to get the flush screen, and it's probably just about worth it especially since I'll keep it for a long tkme. Cost like $30ish after selling the old one and getting a new one refurb from Amazon.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

sourdough posted:

All cases are awful, part of what makes a Paperwhite so good is it's really thin and light!

Also I went from a last gen to current gen solely to get the flush screen, and it's probably just about worth it especially since I'll keep it for a long tkme. Cost like $30ish after selling the old one and getting a new one refurb from Amazon.

Do you feel like the screen is blurry at all compared to the last gen Paperwhite? I've read some complaints that the screen has some kind of film over it that affects the sharpness but it seemed pretty nitpicky.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RichterIX posted:

Do you feel like the screen is blurry at all compared to the last gen Paperwhite? I've read some complaints that the screen has some kind of film over it that affects the sharpness but it seemed pretty nitpicky.

Nah, not at all. Sole negative I've found is it seems to take longer to wake up after I press the power button, but dunno if there's a setting affecting that or it's on a different software update.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
How's the Oasis performance compared with the Voyage? I mean in terms of screen responsiveness.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 22, 2019

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Amazon is really keen on me upgrading it seems. I just got an ad for 25% off a new Kindle, 3 months of Kindle Unlimited, and a gift card for trading in my current one on the lock screen.
I wonder how often they expect people to replace these. I used my Kindle 3 until it broke, and then bought a refurbished one because it was cheap and they no longer made them and used it until it was stolen, and I've had my present Paperwhite for well over 4 years now I think.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Amazon is really keen on me upgrading it seems. I just got an ad for 25% off a new Kindle, 3 months of Kindle Unlimited, and a gift card for trading in my current one on the lock screen.
I wonder how often they expect people to replace these. I used my Kindle 3 until it broke, and then bought a refurbished one because it was cheap and they no longer made them and used it until it was stolen, and I've had my present Paperwhite for well over 4 years now I think.

Ya - they gave me $100 in credit for my old Paperwhite and 40% if bought the new Oasis (just before the warm backlight).

I bit since I missed buttons and like the way they balance the Oasis. I wouldn’t have paid for it full price though. I’d have kept the Paperwhite till it broke.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We replaced one Kindle because it died but it was really old. And we replaced a Paperwhite because we lost it but then we found it again.

So I might try and trade the extra one in for an Oasis.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Got the same offer, but with six months of KU. Traded away my old 5th gen Paperwhite for $25 and also got 25% off the new Oasis.

Coincidentally, my Kindle Voyage is on sale in SA-Mart. 😁

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Just said gently caress it and pre-ordered a new Oasis too. I never early-adopt so you can all thank me when this ships with some kind of horrible design flaw

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RichterIX posted:

My old Kindle is dying so yeah I'm ponying up for this. I have conniption fits every time I try to touchpad swipe and end up getting random backward page flips or whatever.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Just an FYI only the new Paperwhite and "All-New" Kindle are going on sale for Prime Day(s):

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1149556109109108738

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

RichterIX posted:

Just said gently caress it and pre-ordered a new Oasis too. I never early-adopt so you can all thank me when this ships with some kind of horrible design flaw

This is the third version of the Oasis, right? You’d think they’d have most of the bugs worked out by now.