Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I don't know about Vic specifically, but social media stuff makes it easier to seem like you have a personal relationship with a celebrity. But people have been doing that forever.

It's hard to overstate how big Fullmetal Alchemist was in its heyday, too. It also caught on both when Toonami took off and the anime boom was at its height. Just a perfect storm.

Unrelated, it's nice it's all out in the open now I guess.

https://twitter.com/ZachViana/status/1135731550161637376

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

It's not really a big surprise that voice actors are featured at anime cons: they're the highest-profile people involved who don't have overseas travel costs and speak English natively. There also tends to be some recognition factor (particularly since there's a pretty small pool of actors) that you don't get as much for, say, a translator or editor. For a long time, they were the closest any con could swing to "Recognizable person in the industry."

That and a lot of fans unconsciously think of the actor as the character, so to them it's like meeting their favorite animes. :syoon:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
surely these kids have heard of body pillows

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

It's hard to overstate how big Fullmetal Alchemist was in its heyday, too. It also caught on both when Toonami took off and the anime boom was at its height. Just a perfect storm.

Unrelated, it's nice it's all out in the open now I guess.

https://twitter.com/ZachViana/status/1135731550161637376

When did we not "admit" this? :confused:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly I think this experience is the first time a lot of poor unfortunate souls have been exposed to that place.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Endless Mike posted:

I think this is that thing where 99.8% of the discussion centers on the thin fringe of people in between two poles. They bloom to encompass the world.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
At Anime North, when we were doing prizing, we were told no Fullmetal Alchemist stuff because of Vic. Lucky we only had like a handful of things.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I'm assuming Zach here is promoting this as some sort of "got-ya" in that alt-right thing of "Oh well all that political violence done on our behalf is just lone wolves and we condemn it" nudge nudge wink wink.

Not that he's right, they'll always hang on to "well I personally don't punch people in the face." in spite of telling people to do such things more or less constantly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SoftNum posted:

Yeah I get why idiots defend him I just wondered why cons thought it was Important(tm) to invite him to cons still. To your point providing a voice several months/years after something is created is probably loosely tied to the character at best. I guess it takes all types.

Vic just got done voicing Broly in the new movie which isn’t that old and while it isn’t a large part Broly is one of the biggest DB characters

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
he's also just recognizable enough to work as an entry point into that entire cesspool of a subculture, which reinforces itself

like, to convince you vic is innocent they have to prove there's a conspiracy, but luckily, there's this entire intricate series of conspiracies they can point to to back this one up (since god knows this one doesn't stand on its own merits)

I had a friend who heard about the vic thing, and got most of his information on the situation from youtube

youtube being youtube fed him the "whoa bitches out for white guy blood" narrative, and subsequently dragged him into other bullshit about other things he's into--"hey the SJWs banned DOA from EVO because of the titties" "did you know they're ruining mortal kombat" "sony is censoring all its games bro"

in like a matter of weeks he went from being uncertain about vic mignona to being 100% convinced anime and vidja games are all under attack from the same nefarious other, and when asked to defend his position he mostly leans into "well yknow that's just the kind of poo poo they do" why vic specifically, no huge contingent of girls with dyed hair and facial piercings seem to be stalking sean schemelle or troy baker or anybody else "well they could be next, dude, this is what they do"

he was always the kind of guy that, well, played Dead or Alive but the vic mignona situation sucked him into a youtube vortex, and I watched him go from eh kind of a dork but a functioning human being to someone I can barely even talk to anymore

I walked in one day and he was like "y'know, white people really DO have it bad these days, I didn't even realize how oppressive it's gotten for white guys"

he is not, himself, white

last time I went over there he was binging "libs get owned" compilations

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Vic just got done voicing Broly in the new movie which isn’t that old and while it isn’t a large part Broly is one of the biggest DB characters

And to be honest, the movie made him even bigger - it's the most visually spectacular thing the franchise ever produced, and it both gave Broly a likeable personality and allowed him to become a recurring canon character.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

he's also just recognizable enough to work as an entry point into that entire cesspool of a subculture, which reinforces itself

like, to convince you vic is innocent they have to prove there's a conspiracy, but luckily, there's this entire intricate series of conspiracies they can point to to back this one up (since god knows this one doesn't stand on its own merits)

I had a friend who heard about the vic thing, and got most of his information on the situation from youtube

youtube being youtube fed him the "whoa bitches out for white guy blood" narrative, and subsequently dragged him into other bullshit about other things he's into--"hey the SJWs banned DOA from EVO because of the titties" "did you know they're ruining mortal kombat" "sony is censoring all its games bro"

in like a matter of weeks he went from being uncertain about vic mignona to being 100% convinced anime and vidja games are all under attack from the same nefarious other, and when asked to defend his position he mostly leans into "well yknow that's just the kind of poo poo they do" why vic specifically, no huge contingent of girls with dyed hair and facial piercings seem to be stalking sean schemelle or troy baker or anybody else "well they could be next, dude, this is what they do"

he was always the kind of guy that, well, played Dead or Alive but the vic mignona situation sucked him into a youtube vortex, and I watched him go from eh kind of a dork but a functioning human being to someone I can barely even talk to anymore

I walked in one day and he was like "y'know, white people really DO have it bad these days, I didn't even realize how oppressive it's gotten for white guys"

he is not, himself, white

last time I went over there he was binging "libs get owned" compilations

The only advice to give is let him rot and die alone.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Who wants to see Vic's crack legal team at work?

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1135980858924503043

"Now I say, I say I'm a simple country lawyuh an' down on the farm we knew fertilizer and that's why I can tell you my client cannot literally be a piece of fecal mattuh."

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
"he's not a piece of poo poo! he's not a piece of poo poo!!," my lawyer continues to insist as I slowly shrink and

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's more.

https://twitter.com/DumbCerb/status/1136075969306005509

Vic's law firm aren't exactly Perry Mason.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Jim Carrey from Liar Liar is better.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

There's more.

https://twitter.com/DumbCerb/status/1136075969306005509

Vic's law firm aren't exactly Perry Mason.

Anyone know what jurisdiction this was filed in? Cause some would disbar people for this bullshit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SoftNum posted:

Anyone know what jurisdiction this was filed in? Cause some would disbar people for this bullshit.

Dallas-Fort Worth or thereabouts.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

lawtwitter is starting to sniff around :
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1136669877635297281

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is hilarious to watch them try to 'well actually' people who know what defamation is, which does not include calling Vic mean names.

They're super salty about Mr. Doucette's blue checkmark.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 6, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Vic's lawyer is a hilariously blatant scammer.

https://twitter.com/michaeltoole/status/1136352859472171009?s=21

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You can look at the full lawsuit here.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1136711467418497026

IANAL but it's loving hilarious to me that the lawsuit claiming Vic was unfairly defamed to the point that legal action was necessary includes a pretty concise explanation of how he's a complete piece of poo poo (hope I don't get sued) who shouldn't be allowed near other people.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I hate scribd so here is mediafire: https://www.mediafire.com/file/gyjh06qjx291aeb/406767091-Plaintiff-s-Original-Petition.pdf

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I will never not be surprised at the chunk of the internet that has 100% convinced themselves they're lawyers and will argue with real, actual lawyers about laws they know nothing about

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Furthermore the plantiff alerted my client that he should 'look behind him', and at the time he did so not wishing to be struck by some manner of sporting ball or agressive bird. When my client confirmed that there was nothing about to strike him the plantiff claimed that they had 'made him look'. We would like to request the death penalty, or failing this, 6 trillion dollars. No further questions.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I love the sudden back peddle about Vic being a public figure. Sorry, kids. Anime went mainstream.

Edit: More professionalism from Ty Beard and firm.

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1136808920037482496

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 7, 2019

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Good times on twitter.com.
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1136826127220137984

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Greg is really going after them. It's kinda funny.

Can laywers just compel laypersons like this?

Covok
May 27, 2013

SoftNum posted:

I don't think they can do that. I think the court is supposed to do that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd make a video depicting the deletion of files and send that as a response.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Watching not lawyers argue law with an actual lawyer is pretty drat funny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mallratcal posted:

Watching not lawyers argue law with an actual lawyer is pretty drat funny.

The funniest thing is that a lot of what they're arguing isn't like 'layperson vs lawyer' stuff. It's basic things that are easily discoverable through basic reading. They are so fleeced by their 'friendly' lawyers that they take any bullshit they spout at them as gospel despite it being entirely nonsense with an iota of sense.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The funniest thing is that a lot of what they're arguing isn't like 'layperson vs lawyer' stuff. It's basic things that are easily discoverable through basic reading. They are so fleeced by their 'friendly' lawyers that they take any bullshit they spout at them as gospel despite it being entirely nonsense with an iota of sense.

Its five-lighting, you know? There's only four lights but they have been trained to accept the belief that there are five because that is what the party says.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SoftNum posted:

They can't compel, but they can write letters implying that they can.

A lot of US law is basically going "I'm not touching you!" with fancy wording and in several paragraphs.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Cosplayer Jessie Pridemore got a similar C&D from that firm, but not for Vic. Apparently she was raped by Todd Haberkorn

https://twitter.com/jessiepridemore/status/1136837083148894208

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

SoftNum posted:

As I understand it, the people writing the letter aren't actually compelling any action or inaction themselves. Spoliation of evidence is illegal, evidence being any material that may be involved in litigation. As soon as you are aware that your materials might be legally relevant it becomes illegal to destroy them, so if someone informs you that legal proceedings have begun that you might be involved in then it usually invokes the duty to preserve records right away.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently Beard went on Nick's stream and called the lawyers who responded "dipshits" which means they have a defamation case as they were not literally lowered into fecal matter.

Oh, also on stream Beard asked the Farms to dox the lawyers who were mean to him.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1137014734367199232

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 7, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Video, with bonus Popehat response.
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1136987440088961025?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Are we sure this guy is like an actual lawyer at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006