Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think that's true. There's this broad representation that throughout history women were treated universally like chattel, and most historians now are arguing that while that occasionally happened, and noble daughters, in particular, were often highly pressured to marry to secure alliance, the vast majority of peasants got married because they wanted to (often later, in the mid-later twenties). Certainly, in many instances, women had reduced property rights and there was no law against marital rape, but the experiences of most women throughout history do not equate to the often depicted France/Brittain noble daughters being used to secure alliances.

Real world aside, in the books there's a tradition of semi-public wedding night sex, at least among the nobility, that Tyrion had to go to great effort to avoid...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think that's true. There's this broad representation that throughout history women were treated universally like chattel, and most historians now are arguing that while that occasionally happened, and noble daughters, in particular, were often highly pressured to marry to secure alliance, the vast majority of peasants got married because they wanted to (often later, in the mid-later twenties). Certainly, in many instances, women had reduced property rights and there was no law against marital rape, but the experiences of most women throughout history do not equate to the often depicted France/Brittain noble daughters being used to secure alliances.

One thing I know that was common was that the vast majority of marriages in the middle ages were what we would call common law marriages, or at least they would be until a priest came by, as most villages didn't have dedicated priests

But I was not talking about that situation, though I didn't specify so I guess that is my fault. I was referring specifically to wedding nights in arranged marriages. Obviously if it wasn't an arranged marriage the sex on the wedding night was likely to be consensual. But even if it was a consensual relationship, women typically didn't have the right to turn down sexual advances from their husbands.

I'll have to take a look at that podcast sometime when I am not at work. It looks interesting.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

pseudanonymous posted:

That could've been an interesting way to ~subvert expectations~ about life back then on made-up fantasy NotEarth, but I guess the lure of throwing a 12- or 18.01-year-old into the cliche version was just too strong.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

D&D are that guy from Blazing Saddles that says “rape” twice

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

poisonpill posted:

D&D are that guy from Blazing Saddles that says “rape” twice

They're more like the kids that watched it and laughed because the jokes had racial content, but didn't grasp satire because themes are for book reports.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Captain Hygiene posted:

That could've been an interesting way to ~subvert expectations~ about life back then on made-up fantasy NotEarth, but I guess the lure of throwing a 12- or 18.01-year-old into the cliche version was just too strong.

It's kind of a cheap trick to force your readers to be sympathetic to your characters. If they're children then whatever happens to them isn't really their fault and they lack agency. No matter how vile what they do ultimately is, it's hard to blame them (see Ender's game). I think it's one part of why so many fantasy characters are young.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
fantasy characters are young because then the target audience (children) can relate to them easier

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

violent sex idiot posted:

fantasy characters are young because then the target audience (children) can relate to them easier

target audience children?! bro, where do you think you are posting

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
All the characters in Game of Thrones are fat, middle aged nerds. For we... are the target audience.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Has everyone here read The Decameron?

It was written in like 1350 and is very sex-positive. The middle ages were weird.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sexual practices were a lot looser than you'd expect in the middle ages. Even for priests and stuff. It was the reformation that kind of brought the various moral crackdowns, as once the Catholics had some competition from the Protestants they realized that having the pope have multiple children and lovers was a bit hypocritical.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

History isn't a linear progression of morals and values, and what is conservative in one era can be progressive in another and issues worth fighting over change wildly. People though tend to think of history as trending somewhere, as though there was a specific endgame to it, which gives you a really distorted and weird view of the past.

Which also leads you to doing things like writing the ending to a show about political struggles and warfare with absolute nonsense.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

man, we really need a new episode. all this talk about historically accurate portraying of middle ages peasant wives and ugh..

bring back the giants so they can step on more people

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Honestly i think we and the mods owe an apology to team giant stepping on some people because they were right, that would have been really great in comparison to what we got, and they tried to warn us

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

sweet geek swag posted:

Sexual practices were a lot looser than you'd expect in the middle ages. Even for priests and stuff. It was the reformation that kind of brought the various moral crackdowns, as once the Catholics had some competition from the Protestants they realized that having the pope have multiple children and lovers was a bit hypocritical.

Technically that's not breaking the celibacy vow. Celibacy is about remaining unmarried. Having sex outside of marriage is a sin, but a priest or bishop doesn't (or didn't it's come to be interpreted differently over the years) break a vow by doing it, so in theory that can be solved by confession and penance.

Anyway there were plenty of reform efforts, some successful, some less so, in the Medieval church, alot of them concerned with moral issues. The Middle Ages, particularly the High Middle Ages, were very dynamic in terms of change in all matter of areas.

Also as regards Medieval marriage, even with the nobility it was not normal to marry someone who was way younger or older than you. And they too largely seem to have married in their twenties rather than their teens. And though they were typically arranged marriages (marriages outside the nobility often also were in that the initial match would often be made by friends, family or colleagues) they do seem to have considered it important that the prospective couple like each other and get along. There's a couple of examples of high-profile marriages falling apart because the couple just didn't get along and IIRC of prominent noblemen being unable to find a wife because no one wanted to marry them, likewise (Also IIRC) noble men and women who refused marriage and seemingly could/would not be made to do so by their family.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 6, 2019

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Also all of those chivalric romances were about making adultery the highest form of love

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Also all of those chivalric romances were about making adultery the highest form of love

Further, I'm not saying Arthurian Legends are gay as to our modern sensibilities, I'm just saying there are a lot of ripped dudes kissing each other in passionate embraces and swearing off women forever.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Funny thing about Chivalric romances is that they were mostly written by court chaplains (much of the remainder were written by women) and were essentially the final chapter in a long-going effort by these to attempt to civilize and soften the nobility and make things like courtesy, protecting women, children and the Church, romantic love, and so on seem appealing to the nobility. In a way they succeeded probably because they combined those elements with fighting and being a badass warrior and horseman and making it seem as though valuing the above things actually made a knight a better fighter and elevated his acts. Of course they weren't a complete success, but they were at least popular, in contrast to the earlier attempts which had been stuff like guidebooks on table etiquette which were an abysmal failure for the most part.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Barudak posted:

Further, I'm not saying Arthurian Legends are gay as to our modern sensibilities, I'm just saying there are a lot of ripped dudes kissing each other in passionate embraces and swearing off women forever.

If the Templar trials are anything to go by, knights were hella gay when they weren't banging some Lord's Lady

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

If the Templar trials are anything to go by, knights were hella gay when they weren't banging some Lord's Lady

Not saying that the Templars weren't gay (everyone everywhere was gay) but I wouldn't put much stock in anythign in those trials representing anything close to reality. Those kinds of accusations and trials revolving around prohibited worship, sexual deviancy, and all that crap, were pretty much Phillip the Fair's modus operandi whenever he was going to take someone down because he wanted their poo poo and no one could really stop him, he did the same thing against at least one pope, an archbishop and I think several unruly vassals.

What I'm saying is that there would be a whole lot less stupid Templar conspiracies around if more people were aware of how Phillip the Fair rolled and how this was just typical of him. Back then pretty much nobody seriously believed the accusations and only the Templars in France were arrested and put to trial. The order still ended up dissolved, because gently caress getting on France's bad side with this guy in charge, but that largely meant that outside France the Templars ended up just leaving, turning into smaller independent military orders or joining others.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Theres basically no reading of history where it isnt pretty loving weird that our soldiers aren't expected to gently caress each other

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fine, more giants stepping on people and more soldiers loving each other.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Not saying that the Templars weren't gay (everyone everywhere was gay) but I wouldn't put much stock in anythign in those trials representing anything close to reality. Those kinds of accusations and trials revolving around prohibited worship, sexual deviancy, and all that crap, were pretty much Phillip the Fair's modus operandi whenever he was going to take someone down because he wanted their poo poo and no one could really stop him, he did the same thing against at least one pope, an archbishop and I think several unruly vassals.

What I'm saying is that there would be a whole lot less stupid Templar conspiracies around if more people were aware of how Phillip the Fair rolled and how this was just typical of him. Back then pretty much nobody seriously believed the accusations and only the Templars in France were arrested and put to trial. The order still ended up dissolved, because gently caress getting on France's bad side with this guy in charge, but that largely meant that outside France the Templars ended up just leaving, turning into smaller independent military orders or joining others.
good wikipedia read. This guy had some sweet Cersei moves.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

drat sounds more like Phillip the Unfair if you ask me

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Philip the Fairly Large rear end in a top hat

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Philip K. Dick

The K is for Komplete

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Saint Drogo posted:

good wikipedia read. This guy had some sweet Cersei moves.

Phillip the Fair is personally one of my favorites. He was also known as the 'Iron King' by many, due to his rigidity and his apparent lack of emotions ('neither man nor beast, he is a statue'). He's kind of like Stannis if Stannis was handsome and more confident and ruthless. E: though perhaps that's more of a Tywin thing, anyway Phillip was real Tywin and Stannis aren't.

His daughter, Isabella, who became queen of England is also pretty interesting if you like the Cercei characteristics, 'beautiful, intelligent, cruel, manipulative'. She's the one who fucks Mel Gibson in Braveheart, but the movie doesn't really portray her in any meaningful way other than French Love Interest.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 6, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
We need to know more about the giants mating habits and societal structure.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Drunken Baker posted:

All the characters in Game of Thrones are fat, middle aged nerds. For we... are the target audience.

We are strong belwas minus the strong

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QvZSeOEkrs

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

We are strong belwas minus the strong

Reading four thousand pages of bad man unfinished books taught me that Strong Belwas is known for only one thing, and that's having a poop and exhibitionism fetish

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

:hmbol:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Mameluke posted:

Reading four thousand pages of bad man unfinished books taught me that Strong Belwas is known for only one thing, and that's having a poop and exhibitionism fetish

Liver and onions!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Mameluke posted:

Strong belwas did nothing wrong

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Captain Hygiene posted:

I went back to watch the first couple episodes of the show, and on the one hand there competent plotting and it's weirdly entertaining to see Arya & Bran be little shits with some kind of personality, not to mention Jaime looking like a post-'90s surfer dude.

But on the other hand, the Dothraki plot is a complete shitshow in terms of representing race and sexuality, to the point where I can't believe I kept watching. I certainly remember now what drove me away from the books, and it's kinda fun in retrospect to think back to powering through that stuff on the show in the hopes of a strong plot development/ending outweighing early problems :downsgun:

ive been rewatching and rereading from the beginning and in both cases I’m skipping danaerys (and most bran) chapters. it’s really good that way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ocean Book posted:

ive been rewatching and rereading from the beginning and in both cases I’m skipping danaerys (and most bran) chapters. it’s really good that way.

Yeah that's probably for the best. I think there is some ok Dany stuff in the early show but it's tough to get over that start. The book, though, ......eesh.

I kinda like tiny whiny Bran in the show though, that guy loved climbing more than I'll ever love anything and I can respect that. I honestly don't remember a thing about him in the books after he got pushed out the window, I think I quit the series before he actually did anything interesting outside the wall.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah that's probably for the best. I think there is some ok Dany stuff in the early show but it's tough to get over that start. The book, though, ......eesh.

I kinda like tiny whiny Bran in the show though, that guy loved climbing more than I'll ever love anything and I can respect that. I honestly don't remember a thing about him in the books after he got pushed out the window, I think I quit the series before he actually did anything interesting outside the wall.

He literally never does anything interesting ever. He's just there to reveal stuff to the characters basically but given oracle-like powers he doesn't actually seem to want anything. But it's not like there's some examination of how knowing the future (which is speculation) or even just seeing the true past makes him feel like a puppet or anything, he's just turned into this "blah I am the three-eyed raven".

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's so frustrating that they portray warg/greenseer Bran as this autistic oracle creep, rather than the prepubescent Cronenberg creep he is in the books

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*hastily pencils in Game of Thrones above Return of the Jedi on Things David Cronenberg Should've Made list*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Captain Hygiene posted:

bran chapters are good before everyone leaves winterfell, so like 2