Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Cool, thanks! I wish I hadn't missed the huge complete edition but I think it's out of print anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RichterIX posted:

Cool, thanks! I wish I hadn't missed the huge complete edition but I think it's out of print anyway.
You can still get that big collector's edition blu-ray set on Amazon but its mad expensive. Looks like its going for like $400 right now.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's very very good, but the final arc has been trimmed to the bone and you can tell - I believe they wrote the story assuming they'd get like 50~ eps and instead got 26~ and they scrambled hard. Still, the ending lands and I still love it. Also the music is BALLER

This is a very common rumor, but its completely false - someone asked the director about this at otakon when funimation was hyping up the re-release, and he was pretty clear that what we got was what was always intended, and he has no idea where that rumor got started.

The show still is extremely good though, absolutely worth a buy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's one of my favourites.

And one of Yoko Kanno's best works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc13evCzeak

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

This is a very common rumor, but its completely false - someone asked the director about this at otakon when funimation was hyping up the re-release, and he was pretty clear that what we got was what was always intended, and he has no idea where that rumor got started.

The show still is extremely good though, absolutely worth a buy.

It probably got started because starting about episode 16 it feels like they were cramming in as much as possible from a longer show, combined with the weird bit early on where they though they had more time per episode than they did and had to cut finished animation.

Anyway Escaflowne is great and one of my favourite mecha shows. It's got a great aesthetic and Guymelefs are just so big and heavy. I love it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I remember being 15 or so when fox tried airing a 4kids version of it and loved it despite all the edits. There was a ps1 game I played around then that had a fantasy mech aspect to it also (vanguard bandits?). Those were good mech years.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

I remember being 15 or so when fox tried airing a 4kids version of it and loved it despite all the edits. There was a ps1 game I played around then that had a fantasy mech aspect to it also (vanguard bandits?). Those were good mech years.

Vanguard Bandits owned, even if it is the Working Designsest translation they ever did.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

dis astranagant posted:

Vanguard Bandits owned, even if it is the Working Designsest translation they ever did.

Calgon, take me away!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kanos posted:

Calgon, take me away!

Did they do that in multiple games or are we the only two people on the planet that played Cosmic Fantasy 2

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Did they do that in multiple games or are we the only two people on the planet that played Cosmic Fantasy 2

They did it in Vanguard Bandits.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

They did it in Vanguard Bandits.

Vic must have really liked that commercial huh

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In all seriousness it's decent little SRPG with branching paths and is worth a play or 6. The last branch is a complete spoof of the rest of the game in the original Japanese so just imagine what it's like after Vireland got a hold of it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What was the stance on the escaflowne movie? Is it a truncated version of the show/is it good?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's got nice visuals, but nothing else.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It completely inverts the personalities of the main characters and looks fantastic.

It just doesn’t really quite work as an 85ish minute narrative. Real shame it isn’t a Gundam Unicorn length OVA or something, but I still enjoyed it for what it is despite feeling extremely truncated.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kingtheninja posted:

What was the stance on the escaflowne movie? Is it a truncated version of the show/is it good?

It's awful but has some nice animation and music

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

A loooong time ago I posted about a mecha game i kickstarted and now it's finally coming out! https://store.steampowered.com/app/746580/HARDCORE_MECHA/
I had access to backer demos and somesuch so I can confirm it's a lot of fun and I would recommend it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

A loooong time ago I posted about a mecha game i kickstarted and now it's finally coming out! https://store.steampowered.com/app/746580/HARDCORE_MECHA/
I had access to backer demos and somesuch so I can confirm it's a lot of fun and I would recommend it.

I’m a civilian sprite.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Same spoiler warning as usual, though I suspect if you're reading this you probably won't need it.

The King of Braves GaoGaiGar - The Courage One

Gaogaigar tells the story of both Amami Mamoru, a young boy with mystical powers, and Shishioh Gai, a man who was turned into a cyborg and gained the ability to fuse with the alien robot lion Galeon, as they work together with the 3G organization to combat the Zonder threat, which turns humans into robot monsters. The Brave franchise has always had 2 types of human protagonists, the young boy who befriends the robots and the young man who pilots and/or becomes a robot, and for the first time since Fighbird Gaogaigar has both, with them sharing focus pretty equally.

Gaogaigar follows the same format that Goldran did, with mostly episodic stories until a major change in status quo halfway through. Unlike Goldran though, which continued with episodic stories after the change, the second half of GGG is almost entirely multiple-episode arcs. The second half of the show also has a much larger scope than the first did, and the longer stories really help sell that scope.
For the first time in the franchise there's a larger organization supporting the Braves, and the various pieces of equipment and vehicles they provide are given almost as much reverence as the robots themselves, which is quite fun, though somewhat inexplicable since I'm pretty sure they never made toys of the base or ships.

The human cast is among the largest in the series, possibly rivaling J-Decker and they bounce off each other well and are generally very fun to watch, though admittedly some of the more tertiary characters are pretty one-dimensional. I like how they've final given the child protagonist (Mamoru in this case) something important only he can do, purifying the Zonder (later Primeval) cores, since the franchise has had problems with making the protagonist actually matter in the past. Admittedly though he is sometimes entirely forgotten about during the fight scene until it's time to purify, though I'm not sure how they could have avoided that without making him an active combatant. Gai is a perfectly fine adult protagonist, and I like how he's basically a superhero both in and out of the robot like Yuutarou from Fighbird, but without Yuutarou's weird change in personality whenever things got serious.

For the second time since J-Decker, the robots have distinct and colorful personalities though unlike J-Decker they never really drive episode plots. The Ryu brothers in particular though get a rough deal. There's an episode or two highlighting their differences but after that they're just treated like parts for their combined mode. I enjoyed how the show combined the two most common robot origins from the previous shows, with Galeon being alien and the rest of them being built by humans by reverse-engineering his technology. I liked how each robot fulfilled a specific purpose only they could do, since that eliminates the problem a lot of earlier Brave shows had where it felt like only the protagonist really mattered. In some of the fights though it felt like each robot popped up to do its one thing and was then immediately forgotten about again. Also, and this is a nitpick, Star Gaogaigar is a really underwhelming final upgrade for the main robot in comparison to previous Brave shows. And they should have called is Gaigaistar.

The villains are fine, though they're hardly the most interesting parts of the show. The villains in the second half all being based on a specific body part is a neat idea, though I wish the powers they had were more related to which body part they were. Eye can analyze and Nail can cut through things are fine, but Ear can mind control people and ribs can destroy things down to the atomic level? If there's some kind of connection here I really don't see it. Special mention to Pizza, by far the most compelling villain of the first half by virtue of being Gai's rival. It is annoying though that the show does the exact same thing Might Gaine did where he turns good and we're denied a really cool rival fight. It's doubly annoying here because even up to the end of the show he keeps talking about how they're going to settle their score but they never do!

Gaogaigar is definitely the best looking show in the franchise, with barely any noticeable change in quality when it changes to stock footage. There is a bit of a flip side though, in that GGG reuses animation far more than any previous Brave show. not only is there more stock footage overall, the show also just straight-up reuses entire scenes with new dialogue a couple of times! There is also a lot of quickly flashing lights, especially in the first half of the show. To me that's just a minor annoyance but if you're a visual epileptic you should definitely stay away.
Just like J-Decker did the OP updates as each new character is introduced rather than just switching around the halfway point, and just like in J-Decker I appreciate it a lot. Gaogaigar also gets bonus points for having new animation just for the last episode's OP.

In conclusion, Gaogaigar is very good. It does a good job of taking various aspects from previous Brave shows and tying them together, though admittedly I probably only view it through that lens because it's the last one and I'm not sure they were aware that was going to be the case while making it. In some ways I still prefer J-Decker, its character writing is superior and it gave more of a focus on the robot characters, but Gaogaigar far outstrips it in the scope of its story and I can't deny choking up a bit during some of the more emotional moments.

Traditions:
Main robot gets damaged and replaced, though for the first time in the franchise the original and the replacement don't combine, with Gaogaigar instrad getting a more traditional mecha upgrade. There is still a robot that turns into a weapon for the main robot though.
Lion chest returns on Gaigar and Gaogaigar.
Rather than the 3+1 combination scheme, the Ryu brothers' combinations reference the Raker brothers all the way back in Exkaiser.
Drill tank returns, and this time it's part of the main robot combination! Drill tank, you've come so far...
Ninja robot returns, and just like in Dagwon he combines with non-sentient robots.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaogaistar is a good name but it doesn't fit the 3G naming schema.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

Gaogaistar is a good name but it doesn't fit the 3G naming schema.

Neither does GaoFighGar in FINAL though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

GaoFighGar

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Gaigar is the fusion of Guy and Galeon (Gareon).
Gaogaigar is the fusion of the Gao machines with Guy and Galeon.

Gaofar and Gaofighgar are beyond understanding. They are one of the mysteries of FINAL.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I always liked Gaofighgar because of how it's kinda weird and different due to being entirely human-made and created to work with Gai's new powers

also Gai doesn't have to spend 5 hours spinning up the broken phantom anymore

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Gaigar is the fusion of Guy and Galeon (Gareon).
Gaogaigar is the fusion of the Gao machines with Guy and Galeon.

Gaofar and Gaofighgar are beyond understanding. They are one of the mysteries of FINAL.

The OP calls it Fighting Gaogaigar and the narrator calls it a "fighting mechanoid". It's the figh from fight.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The real mystery is Gaogaigo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Droyer posted:

The real mystery is Gaogaigo

It's a message.

GaoGaiGo make an anime out of this already GaoGaiGoddammit I want to watch it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Just read the book.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

GaoFighGar is a human knockoff of Galeon's technology so it's not a real GGG. :eng101:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Droyer posted:

Just read the book.

it has too many bettermen, all of whom suck and get in the way of the cool robot fights

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I like the Betterman cast more than the GaoGaiGar one because they're actual characters for the most part.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

I like the Betterman cast more than the GaoGaiGar one because they're actual characters for the most part.

they mostly just stand around sniffing their own smug farts while the GGG side does cool poo poo, they usually interrupt a cool robot fight at the best part to show off how great they are and spoil it, then leave

e: more like shitterman

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 18, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, finally watched the first episode of Macross Frontier. And yeah, it's definitely interesting. In the extended version, at least, you spend a pretty big chunk of the episode without an obvious military conflict. Instead, you get the ordinary lives of our three leads set up and interconnected, with Sheryl being the jerk idol who's actually as good as she thinks (and who might not be so bad deep down), Alto as the ace pilot who acts like a jerk but who's a good guy when the chips are down, and you have Ranka as the perky girl with a secret of some kind or other. Everyone's got supporting characters of their own, goals, and something to say why their prospective in the story is going to be distinct.

Then giant bugs start killing people, and it's confirmed that this show is, in fact, a mech anime, ending with a cliffhanger, as is pretty common in these things.

So, yeah. Main cast effectively set up, main conflicts introduced, some music, some action, and overall it did a pretty decent job of getting me interested in more, even if I might not get to it for a while. Thanks for bringing it up, everyone.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I haven't watched the older shows in probably a decade but Frontier and Delta's first episodes are basically perfect spectacles to draw you in. Regardless of whether the rest of the series is pretty good or complete rear end, it's never a mystery why you gave it a shot.

One thing that amuses me with Gaofighgar is that it looks awkward as heck doing Hell and Heaven. Like, they're not meant to be realistic at all but Gaofighgar's protruding chest makes it impossible.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Notaninn/status/1140335226587156481?s=19

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Argas posted:

I haven't watched the older shows in probably a decade but Frontier and Delta's first episodes are basically perfect spectacles to draw you in. Regardless of whether the rest of the series is pretty good or complete rear end, it's never a mystery why you gave it a shot.

One thing that amuses me with Gaofighgar is that it looks awkward as heck doing Hell and Heaven. Like, they're not meant to be realistic at all but Gaofighgar's protruding chest makes it impossible.

Frontier at least manages to generally keep up the momentum with some spectacular setpieces. It sags here and there, but it's mostly a good, fun ride. Delta is just a mess, especially in its second half.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Argas posted:

You say that, but if you want to go off of the Super Robot Chogokin toys, GaoFighGar is the only one who can do Hell and Heaven without any part swapping or modifications aside from swapping in the clasped hands. Even the Soul of Chogokin GGG has two parts of the mane hinge backwards to give the arms clearance.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Gundam, Gundam, Gundam ja nai, Anime Ja Nai, Boku Ja Nai, ai ja nai, wa date ja nai, and then I dunno I'm sorry.

Someone who is good with kanji and mecha references help, my Exia and Z'gok are dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yinlock posted:

they mostly just stand around sniffing their own smug farts while the GGG side does cool poo poo, they usually interrupt a cool robot fight at the best part to show off how great they are and spoil it, then leave

e: more like shitterman

Well. I haven't read GaoGaiGo but I think Betterman is a somewhat underrated show personally