Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I also picked up one on the cheap, and it seems to have immediately developed a problem where it won't hold a battery charge. That is I was playing it fine, it cut off. Now plugging the USB cord in results in the blinking orange light for a few seconds (the one that would indicate "Charging but charge is too low to turn on the system"), then that light cuts off and nothing happens. Could be a bad battery, could be a bad USB cord, I do not know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Chic Trombone posted:

Is there a handy list of good rpgs and vns on this dead system? Picked one up on the cheap and want to go back and grab what's good since I've never had a Sony handheld before

Well, there's Persona 4 Golden, and Trails of Cold Steel, and Steins;Gate, and House in Fata Morgana, and

uh..

There's got to be more.

Well, anyway, those four are totally worth your time and will take you a long time to get through.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Other VNs:
Danganronpa
Muv-Luv
Zero Escape

Other RPGs:
Ys Celceta (albeit action-based)
Tales of Hearts R

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
On the maybe not great, but decent line:

FF 7, 9, and tactics
World of Final Fantasy (Pokemon meets FF, it's actually pretty fun)
Xenogears
Persona 3
Breath of Fire 3 and 4
Stranger of Sword City (well, it seems like, played Demon Gaze, which is basically the same game)
Disgaea 1 - 4 (Tactics RPGs, very long, with tons of poo poo to do)
Legend of Mana (more beat 'em up, but with heavy RPG elements)
Vagrant story
Atelier games (I played Ar Tonelico back on PS2, and it was fine, I've heard a lot of people praise the main series.)

Very Anime RPGs that you may not like if you don't like anime, but you own a loving Vita so why the gently caress don't you like anime

HyperDimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 - 3 (Warning: very anime, but in a stupid way)
Dungeon Travelers 2 (Warning: Very anime in a pervy sorta way, but the dungeon crawling is decent)
Akiba's Trip (Pervy action RPG, but the English dub is pretty great, do not go for the sequel)

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

DeathChicken posted:

I also picked up one on the cheap, and it seems to have immediately developed a problem where it won't hold a battery charge. That is I was playing it fine, it cut off. Now plugging the USB cord in results in the blinking orange light for a few seconds (the one that would indicate "Charging but charge is too low to turn on the system"), then that light cuts off and nothing happens. Could be a bad battery, could be a bad USB cord, I do not know.

Check the USB cord first, I had mine burn it's charge super fast a couple months ago and solved that by fully turning off the system (hold the power button, and select power off) and plug it in, and it started to charge fine again. Might want to take it back to the place you got it if it keeps screwing up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's the best otome?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Rinkles posted:

What's the best otome?

Hatoful Boyfriend

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Anora posted:

Atelier games (I played Ar Tonelico back on PS2, and it was fine, I've heard a lot of people praise the main series.)

Just for clarity, Atelier and Ar Tonelico have zero connections to each other aside from being by the same developer.

Rinkles posted:

What's the best otome?

It's not exactly my genre, but people seem to like Code: Realize.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 3, 2019

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

DeathChicken posted:

A battery minder app just recently came out for hacked systems, it should still be on the front page of wololo after you give powering it down and leaving it on the charger a try.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, the odd thing is that in the few moments I can manage to leave the thing running before it inevitably dies again (and making me re-input my date and time whenever it does), the on-screen battery indicator is fully green. Having the charger in results in the squiggly lightning bolt for a few seconds, then that stops. Then the system conks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is the battery indicator being completely inaccurate a common problem? Mine seems to hold a charge OK but the battery indicator goes like 100% for 90 minutes, 75% for a half hour, then suddenly "your system is low on battery"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is the battery indicator being completely inaccurate a common problem? Mine seems to hold a charge OK but the battery indicator goes like 100% for 90 minutes, 75% for a half hour, then suddenly "your system is low on battery"

I know I replaced my battery and that problem went away; it has something to do with a part being a little loose, or so I've been told, so an actual replacement may not be necessary.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Yeah, sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will fix it. Once you have the back off you can see what state the power port is in too. They're super easy to work on and replacement parts are cheap!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been tempted to look into how easy it is to try and repair my cartridge slot for a while, but I'm not sure I wanna subject myself to yet another sweat inducing task.

It wasn't hard to fix my Vita, but I'm always a little anxious when I take on DIY projects like that.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
This talk is making me consider opening up mine ad seeing if I can revive it. My dog took a leak on it. It worked, but it stunk, so I tried to clean it to kill the smell, and it stopped working.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Deadguy2322 posted:

This talk is making me consider opening up mine ad seeing if I can revive it. My dog took a leak on it. It worked, but it stunk, so I tried to clean it to kill the smell, and it stopped working.

Hell of a metaphor.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Deadguy2322 posted:

just out of curiosity, where was your vita located where something like this could have happened

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Feels Villeneuve posted:

just out of curiosity, where was your vita located where something like this could have happened

It had fallen out of my nightstand, unbeknownst to me.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Deadguy2322 posted:

It had fallen out of my nightstand, unbeknownst to me.

Your dog is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Anyone with a broken vita is also heartily encouraged to just send them to me, I'll pay shipping, namaste.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Atomizer posted:

Your dog is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

He’s a double rescue, so he does have a lot of issues, but he has made a lot of progress.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Deadguy2322 posted:

He’s a double rescue, so he does have a lot of issues, but he has made a lot of progress.

no kidding, he correctly identified the proper system to immerse in piss

impressive no matter how you slice it

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Despite Sony rectonning the console's history, the Vita liked it and blushed in mosaic.

Also: Double-rescue?! Ooooof.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deadguy2322 posted:

Nothing to lose; crack that sucker open.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And now after a bunch of pulling the cord out and putting it back in again, the Vita is behaving normally. I'm now assuming the battery just came loose somehow and I've knocked it back in. :iiam:

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Andrigaar posted:

Despite Sony rectonning the console's history, the Vita liked it and blushed in mosaic.

Also: Double-rescue?! Ooooof.

He was taken from a dogfighting kill farm in Southern California, then adopted by someone who never should have been allowed to adopt him. She was going to have him put down because the constant abuse her father put him through had made him almost feral. Since we’ve had good luck with dogs and they bond with me and my daughter really easily, we decided we’d give the little guy another chance. It hasn’t always been easy, but physically and emotionally he is a very different dog now than he was three years ago, and we love him. Even though he gets a bit aggressive sometimes and has the odd accident in the winter.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Deadguy2322 posted:

He was taken from a dogfighting kill farm in Southern California, then adopted by someone who never should have been allowed to adopt him. She was going to have him put down because the constant abuse her father put him through had made him almost feral. Since we’ve had good luck with dogs and they bond with me and my daughter really easily, we decided we’d give the little guy another chance. It hasn’t always been easy, but physically and emotionally he is a very different dog now than he was three years ago, and we love him. Even though he gets a bit aggressive sometimes and has the odd accident in the winter.

Well, got the Vita dissassembled and cleaned the parts that needed it. Now to let the contact cleaner dry and put it back together and pray!

Deadguy2322 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 6, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had to browse these very forums on a Vita this week and fuckin' buddy I do not goddamn reccomend it

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Yeah, one of the last updates hosed it's ability to watch Youtube as well.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

A lot of services updated their APIs and Sony (and Google) couldn't be bothered to make a new app.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Taintrunner posted:

I had to browse these very forums on a Vita this week and fuckin' buddy I do not goddamn reccomend it

That's some friggin dedication. Also sorry you had to get mugged. I meant to respond in the chat thread but you reminded me here.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

You think that's bad? I set up an 802.11b WAP and tried the browser on my PSP.... :stonk:

Anora posted:

Google actually dropped support for some older devices/configurations. My Samsung smart TV, for example, can no longer access Youtube via its built-in app.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Google dropping support for things so casually makes me really interested to see how badly they gently caress up Stadia in a few years :allears:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Anora posted:

You can still make youtube work in the vita browser by forcing it to use the desktop version of the website instead of the mobile one.

Don't ask me why I know this.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Google dropping support for things so casually makes me really interested to see how badly they gently caress up Stadia in a few years :allears:

Anyone taking bets how long that mess is going to last?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

While you're not wrong, dropping old devices with API levels that have security risks is a good thing

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Anyone taking bets how long that mess is going to last?

I'm going with about four or five years.

[t=0] It'll release, and uptake won't be as good as they predicted. Initial reviews will say performance in real world situations is disappointing.

[t=1 year] They'll slash prices on the hardware and people will buy it as much for that as for the service, but this'll get them a decent user base to start with.
- Uptake will still be slow because they don't have any unique titles.

[t=2 years] They'll get some unique titles, thereby pissing off a big portion of the games-buying public who are annoyed that $Whatever 7 isn't on the platform all the previous titles have been.
- This will still not significantly increase their user base, because they won't get even 100% of the fanbase for the $Whatever franchise.

[t=3 years] They'll begin to slash the budget to the service and we'll see titles being removed and upcoming releases cancelled.
- It'll putter along on life-support for a year or two until eventually they pull the plug.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I can’t really blame them for dropping the Vita.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vita Means Life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Atomizer posted:

You think that's bad? I set up an 802.11b WAP and tried the browser on my PSP.... :stonk:

You could run Opera Mini on a PSP so that's still better off than the Vita stock browser imo