Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Djarum posted:

Saturn owners were basically always treated badly out of Japan. Sega wouldn’t let the great 2D stuff out that would make PSX look bad and wouldn’t let devs have the good dev kit tools to make the 3D stuff look not trash.

This is it right here. It's a cultural divide that doomed the Saturn in the west, and left it with a poor legacy among the non-hardcore crowd. It did fine in Japan and had great Japanese games.

Kid Fenris posted:

By 1997 the PlayStation had pulled ahead, the Nintendo 64 was soaking up attention, and it was clear that the Saturn would be the TurboGrafx-16 of the current console race.

It's funny how the successes of the Mega Drive and PC-Engine were reversed in Japan and NA. It's hard to imagine the MD not doing well over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I've just recently started contemplating installing GDEMU in my Dreamcast, but I'm curious as to the future of collecting Dreamcast games. As console disc drives continue to die, will there eventually be a desire to manufacture new Gd-roms in order to play the actual discs? Are Dreamcast drives failing quicker than other disc reading consoles?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Ofecks posted:

This is it right here. It's a cultural divide that doomed the Saturn in the west, and left it with a poor legacy among the non-hardcore crowd. It did fine in Japan and had great Japanese games.

From what I’ve read, Sega also treated third party developers like competitors, and the dev tools they got were always behind or inferior to whatever Sega was using in house. Which doesn’t really make a lot of sense, unless they were losing enough on the hardware that someone who bought exclusively third party games wouldn’t make them enough on the licensing fees to profit. Which.... also seems like a poor business model.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

BisterdDave posted:

I've just recently started contemplating installing GDEMU in my Dreamcast, but I'm curious as to the future of collecting Dreamcast games. As console disc drives continue to die, will there eventually be a desire to manufacture new Gd-roms in order to play the actual discs? Are Dreamcast drives failing quicker than other disc reading consoles?

You basically have two options: Get an ODE like GDEMU to eliminate the need for discs, or get a replacement laser for the disc drive when the original dies.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Apparently Retrokin are producing an N64 clone, I'm not greatly knowledgable about their previous cloned consoles but what is the likelyhood of it being decent, I have a PAL N64 that was nothing short of a bastard to get working on my HD-TV and still looks like hammered poo poo, I've been considering getting rid of it and buying a RGB modded NTSC console off ebay (currently about £45) then I could use the deblurred roms on my everdrive (as far as I'm aware deblurred roms were not available in PAL format).

Is the Retrokin likely to be a better option, there's no way I'm willing to stretch as far as an UltraHDMI theyre just to much.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Gaz2k21 posted:

Apparently Retrokin are producing an N64 clone, I'm not greatly knowledgable about their previous cloned consoles but what is the likelyhood of it being decent, I have a PAL N64 that was nothing short of a bastard to get working on my HD-TV and still looks like hammered poo poo, I've been considering getting rid of it and buying a RGB modded NTSC console off ebay (currently about £45) then I could use the deblurred roms on my everdrive (as far as I'm aware deblurred roms were not available in PAL format).

Is the Retrokin likely to be a better option, there's no way I'm willing to stretch as far as an UltraHDMI theyre just to much.

Hyperkin, their previous clones are... "ok" but they got poo poo on for using emulators against their software licenses.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Maybe I'm out of the loop but I don't have a lot of faith that N64 clones could be good yet, unless they're gutting original machines. Wouldn't it be a bit out of the range of current FPGAs coupled with a generally poor state of emulation?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
It is a crappy ARM running Muppen64. Evidently it is going to have compatibility issues as well.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Sell it on eBay for a huge profit and buy a GDEmu clone and $300 worth of beer with the leftover money

Definitely tempted to do just that (I actually already have a GDEMU I was planning to sell). However, I imagine the secondary market on this thing is going to tank hard and fast, the news has flown through the Dreamcast community. Even if I found someone who didn't know about this issue, I hate to be the guy that passes a known timebomb on to someone. I'll probably just keep my GDEMU clone in a drawer as a backup plan if/when my USB-GDROM turns into a pumpkin at midnight someday.

Also, as if it it were possible to make MNEMO look even worse, someone on the assembler games thread posted proof that his "discouraging piracy" theory doesn't hold water. The USB-GDROM needs an IC from an original GDROM drive, this is why MNEMO offers a discount if you send him your drive, because he can pull that IC off of it. Cloners aren't likely to want to deal with this hassle, and instead focused on the GDEMU, which does not require original Sega parts and can be manufactured much cheaper. As result, nobody ever cared to try to clone it, firmware timer or not.

Understandably, it seems MNEMO is in full damage control mode now. He's already released a new firmware, although there's no change log so who knows what's different. Compared to the previous version, the new one is 2kb smaller but that's all I can tell. I don't think I'll apply this update just yet, and let the community give it a go first.

Even if this does fix it, it's definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I'll just continue to use my USB GDROM. :shrug:

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
RE: Sega in Japan chat
When I visit Hard Offs and other more game focused second hand shops out in the countryside, the ratio of Nintendo to Sega stuff is staggering.
Of course you see way more in Akiba and DenDen Town, but out here in "normal Japan" I would say it's less than one Mega Drive or Saturn game for every ten Fami or SuperFami game. PlayStation 1 and 2 are even higher I think.
I was surprised to see a whole wall of N64 carts at my local Manga Souko, as I didn't think the system did all that well here.
I did see Shining Force 3 scenarios 1 and 2 at my Hard Off, which has a really tiny game selection. I don't even own a Saturn but I kind of want to look into it now.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

al-azad posted:

From what I've seen it looks super sharp. I wouldn't mind seeing screenshots of what you think is awful.

Reminds me a bit of the Arkham remasters in that sharpening the image ruined the color palette and thus the entire look of the game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you want to think about what the 32X is capable of, there's this demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r3Cb4zr9Kc

The Saturn game Scorcher was a quick and dirty conversion of the tech from that demo, incidentally:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMiryCzm5I

falz posted:

So an all new Darius game is on the Mega Drive Mini? Fingers crossed on it actually being coded as a real genesis game and not something native to its cpu so we can run it on a flash cart.

It's genuine, and so is the new version of Tetris they're including.

The version of Darius they're using is probably a fan-made port that Taito acquired, the Japanese person who made it was showing it at fan events and online but mysteriously scrubbed all their posts about it a while back, and the images Sega showed are identical to that version.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 7, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sega said it's not the fan version, and there's some subtle differences in the boss sprites from what I looked at

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think they're bullshitting, but it'll be easy enough to verify in a few months.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If you want to think about what the 32X is capable of, there's this demo:

My takeaway from this is pretty much, "Man, early 3D sure did look terrible." I'm sure that was impressive as heck when it came out though.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

rujasu posted:

My takeaway from this is pretty much, "Man, early 3D sure did look terrible." I'm sure that was impressive as heck when it came out though.

It's pretty impressive, I'd say. The draw distance is pretty bad but it could hold its own up against early PS1/Saturn titles -- even some N64 stuff. Makes me wonder if ports of stuff like Magic Carpet/Tomb Raider/ Mechwarrior 2 could be possible.

Zoph fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 7, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zophar posted:

It's pretty impressive, I'd say. The draw distance is pretty bad but it could hold its own up against early PS1/Saturn titles -- even some N64 stuff. Makes me wonder if ports of stuff like Magic Carpet and Tomb Raider could be possible.

Early Saturn stuff does some pretty dodgy poo poo under the hood iirc. Go look up how Tomb Raider actually renders on it if you're not familiar already. It's quite fascinating.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/terraonion/status/1136664951630770176

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Random Stranger posted:

Euro retro shopping report for anyone who cares.

I care! Enough to snarkily ask if you picked up any Atari Lynx pins while in Euroland. Atari packed them in with the games fairly frequently over there. They're kinda cruddy looking, especially compared to Atari's arcade ones from the 80s, but I still find them interesting. Sadly the current sellers with them on Ebay are asking top dollar, in particular the guy that has a pile of new old stock.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fWQ6JCNrH4

Considerably less hyped for the hyperkin N64 clone now.

I suppose an FPGA based solution is out of the question considering how weird the N64's hardware is...?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The Big Word posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fWQ6JCNrH4

Considerably less hyped for the hyperkin N64 clone now.

I suppose an FPGA based solution is out of the question considering how weird the N64's hardware is...?

I'd have to dig for it, but there's a youtube vid out there from the last few months with Kevtris listing some some reasons why a N64 FPGA is currently unworkable.

Edit: Dug for it, the video appears to be gone, but it was a YouTube live stream of My Life in Gaming playing the Super NT and he was on hand to answer questions. One of the reasons he mentioned was high bandwidth RAMBUS the N64 uses on top of being leagues more complex than a SNES to program for.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 7, 2019

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'd have to dig for it, but there's a youtube vid out there from the last few months with Kevtris listing some some reasons why a N64 FPGA is currently unworkable.

I would expect it’s probably over the limits of what the current FPGAs are capable of at the very least. I seem to remember seeing that the Super NT and Mega SG were basically right at the limit once stuff like the video filters were added on. And from what I’ve seen, some of the Mister cores in development (like Neo Geo) were bumping up against the limits even more.

Isn’t there at least one LLE emulator in development at the moment? I’d imagine once that’s functional, there’d be a better idea of what kind of power an FPGA would need to run it.

An N64 with UltraHDMI is probably still the way to go, but not cheap. It was the first console I got modded though, just because emulation is still so wonky.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
The problem with doing an FPGA N64 is that the RDP is basically one of the earliest examples of a fully programmable GPU. So while on a SNES’ video chips are completely fixed in terms of functionality, an N64’s RDP will act completely differently in terms of how it draws an image on the screen in Mario 64 versus Rogue Squadron for example.

That makes it a nightmare to implement in an FPGA by reverse engineering.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My friend's Mega SG arrived and it's really cool. I will probably get one next paycheck.

We jailbroke it and tested out some Genesis roms.

How do we get 32x and Sega CD running?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

How do we get 32x and Sega CD running?

You don't, and you plug it into one, respectively IIRC.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I've been replaying Ratchet and Clank on my Phat PS2 recently, and I noticed once again that all PS2 games seem to have a certain kind of look. You can spot a PS2 game easily, it's not just the total lack of anti-aliasing, the textures in games for this system always seem to have a sort of slight shimmer to them, and there's a certain softness to the entire image.

What is it in particular that does this? Something about the PS2 makes the video output just crappy in a particular way and I can't put my finger on it. I have set of gamestop component video cables that I got in 2011 that I use, but the "Fuzzy PS2 game look" is evident on youtube videos of games too.

I googled "PS2 game look" and all I can find is people making fun of games for newer systems and saying they look like a PS2 game.

Just like the N64 game signature look is blurry, smeary textures because of the tiny texture cache in the gpu, there seems to be some hardware feature and/or limitation that makes PS2 games super easy to spot. I don't even think it's because the games run at SD resolution, there seems to be something more going on that I can't articulate.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 7, 2019

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Vanagoon posted:

I've been replaying Ratchet and Clank on my Phat PS2 recently, and I noticed once again that all PS2 games seem to have a certain kind of look. You can spot a PS2 game easily, it's not just the total lack of anti-aliasing, the textures in games for this system always seem to have a sort of slight shimmer to them, and there's a certain softness to the entire image.

What is it in particular that does this? Something about the PS2 makes the video output just crappy in a particular way and I can't put my finger on it.

Maybe the interlacing? Most PS2 games run at 480i and that tends to look like flickery garbage on anything but a Framemeister. Try some PS2 games that do native 480p or even 240p and they should look much nicer.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Miles McCloud posted:

Maybe the interlacing? Most PS2 games run at 480i and that tends to look like flickery garbage on anything but a Framemeister. Try some PS2 games that do native 480p or even 240p and they should look much nicer.

Probably this. Fwiw I’ve come to love the look of PS2 480i on a PVM. Like you said, though, only the Framemeister makes it look good on an LCD.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Big brain theory

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The original Supaboy was such a piece of poo poo that it soured me from ever buying Hyperkin stuff ever again

How the gently caress do you use composite video for a built in LCD, cmon son

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Miles McCloud posted:

So it's confirmed that the newest USB-GDROM firmware does indeed contain the brick code: https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/bxfbhd/confirmed_usbgdrom_firmware_contains_code_that/

This threads comments are cancer and I want to gouge my eyes out.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's genuine, and so is the new version of Tetris they're including.

The version of Darius they're using is probably a fan-made port that Taito acquired, the Japanese person who made it was showing it at fan events and online but mysteriously scrubbed all their posts about it a while back, and the images Sega showed are identical to that version.
Isn't this the old rare Japanese only Tetris that was has only a hand full of known physical copies?

I'm not a huge Darius fan but having it on a 16 bit Sega console seems neato.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

falz posted:

Isn't this the old rare Japanese only Tetris that was has only a hand full of known physical copies?
From the looks of things, it's actually a new port of the System 16 arcade version that fixes some of the problems in the ultra-rare version.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Thats great! Honestly though I don't think the arcade version is that good. I played it in Mame a bit and I think you can only rotate in one direction? Obviously an easy fix though.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Zophar posted:

It's pretty impressive, I'd say. The draw distance is pretty bad but it could hold its own up against early PS1/Saturn titles -- even some N64 stuff. Makes me wonder if ports of stuff like Magic Carpet/Tomb Raider/ Mechwarrior 2 could be possible.

Sure, but most of the early 3D stuff on PS1/Saturn looks godawful anyway, and that short draw distance is a big problem for making an actual game. I can't imagine making something like Tomb Raider with that tech. And Magic Carpet already sucked on console so I can't imagine it would have been fun to play on a 32X.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That 32X demo looks cool as poo poo imo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sega really should have stuck with it :smith:

It gets poo poo on a lot but it was pretty cool. Also up until the recent Switch release it had the most complete version of Virtua Racer.

I also believe it still has the best version of Star Wars arcade if I recall?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I made my thing break on purpose so that if someone copied it their copy would also break is some incredibly paranoid idiot logic. I am glad I talked myself out of buying one of these years back largely based on how much of a prick the creator came off from his "comparation" page: http://3do-renovation.ru/comparation.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It gets poo poo on a lot but it was pretty cool. Also up until the recent Switch release it had the most complete version of Virtua Racer.

Yeah I was disappointed when digital foundry said that the 32X version had extra stages that weren't in that Switch release. The only version of it I played was the 32X version back when you could rent consoles from blockbuster.