Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.

double nine posted:

there's also immortal redneck for a more roguelike shooting experience

I almost picked that up on a Switch sale but heard the port wasn't amazing. Will buy it on PC when on sale, thank you!

Also that Dusk game looks sick but im being a little graphics baby right now and want the game to look somewhat nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Play both the new Prey and the old Prey. :buddy:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have the urge to play a stat based game. Something like Princess Maker, Academagia, Long Live the Queen. Though more Princess Maker where my stats determine the ending and less Long Live the Queen where I need to have certain stats at certain points otherwise its game over.

E: Oh and no dating sims :argh:

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 25, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Black Closet, maybe?

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Darksiders series.

This.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Play both the new Prey and the old Prey. :buddy:

Also this. But skip old Prey and do full Dishonoreds + DLCs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leal posted:

I have the urge to play a stat based game. Something like Princess Maker, Academagia, Long Live the Queen. Though more Princess Maker where my stats determine the ending and less Long Live the Queen where I need to have certain stats at certain points otherwise its game over.

E: Oh and no dating sims :argh:
The Yawgh?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Splicer posted:

The Yawgh?

Hwurmp posted:

Black Closet, maybe?

I'll give each of these a look, thanks!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Spruchy posted:

I almost picked that up on a Switch sale but heard the port wasn't amazing. Will buy it on PC when on sale, thank you!

Also that Dusk game looks sick but im being a little graphics baby right now and want the game to look somewhat nice.

get over being a graphics baby asap and play dusk, it's beyond phenomenal and is the best shooter in years

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I'm in the mood for some exploration. What PS4/3DS/Steam games are out there where I can explore and find cool locations, possibly some ancient ruins, and a big part of the gameplay is uncovering and collecting lore?

I dig the Uncharted and Tomb Raider games, and those get close to what I want, but I don't necessarily need that style of action game in this case.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've yet to play it yet, but I've heard good things about Heaven's Vault, and it sounds at least adjacent to what you're looking for.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Uncle Ulty posted:

I'm in the mood for some exploration. What PS4/3DS/Steam games are out there where I can explore and find cool locations, possibly some ancient ruins, and a big part of the gameplay is uncovering and collecting lore?

I dig the Uncharted and Tomb Raider games, and those get close to what I want, but I don't necessarily need that style of action game in this case.

Subnautica

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah subnautica is literally all of that and really a ridiculously unique experience that imo no other game has quite managed to capture the same way yet.

Try to go in as blind as possible, as the less you know, the better, though there are many helpful goons in the subnautica thread.

edit: go for the steam version so you can mod it if need be, console commands etc are very useful if you get, say, accidentally shoved through the terrain by a sea critter and get "stuck" on "land" despite being 200 meters underwater

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Look at Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey if you want something closer to Uncharted/TR.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Plus if you get the steam version of Subnautica, you can refund if you realize that the game is absolutely way too terrifying for you, as it was for me. (One day...) Basically, just see how far you can venture from the starting pod without having a full blown anxiety attack. Personally I can't leave visual range of the pod.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Uncle Ulty posted:

Fallout 3/NV/4, get a mod to turn off quest markers and just ignore the main quest completely? Lots of places to explore and terminals to read.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Plus if you get the steam version of Subnautica, you can refund if you realize that the game is absolutely way too terrifying for you, as it was for me. (One day...) Basically, just see how far you can venture from the starting pod without having a full blown anxiety attack. Personally I can't leave visual range of the pod.

it's funny, very few of the critters actively terrify me, but boy when I went to That One Area and swam a little bit away from it and looked down, my stomach just dropped and I immediately did a 180 and did the "peer over the edge" thing. They totally got me with that location.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Subnautica is really a great game. There’s a pretty good interview on YouTube with one of the developers that goes through the development process. Among other things they during early access they put in code that tells them what people liked, what triggered them, and really what it boils down to is things that trigger emotions, like fear = good. So their releases focused more on that.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Thanks for the suggestions! I was traumatized by the underwater levels in Tomb Raider 2 when I played it 20 years ago, so I think Subnautica might be too anxiety-inducing for me. I did recently pick up AC: Origins, but I've only played Tour mode so far, so I might have to dive into that. For some reason I never got into Fallout, but I'll watch some gameplay footage and see if it does anything for me.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

it's funny, very few of the critters actively terrify me, but boy when I went to That One Area and swam a little bit away from it and looked down, my stomach just dropped and I immediately did a 180 and did the "peer over the edge" thing. They totally got me with that location.

Not sure what That One Area is (there are several I think that would qualify) but that happened a bunch of times to me. It's still not as terrifying as when I was casually mining minerals in the deep sea in an area I'd never been before, casually looked over my shoulder (as I was playing in VR) and saw the open maw of a charging Ghost Leviathan about 3 feet in front of my face.

On that note--play Subnautica in VR if you have the option. It's even more terrifying and more immersive that way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Genpei Turtle posted:

Not sure what That One Area is (there are several I think that would qualify)
Specifically, the floating island

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Genpei Turtle posted:

On that note--play Subnautica in VR if you have the option. It's even more terrifying and more immersive that way.

I actually did try this. My terror was amplified because the starting pod bugged out and was almost right on the edge of the semi peaceful starting area. I peered into the darkness, saw something gigantic, and shut it down immediately.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I didn't find Subnautica to be particularly scary, but I did get some anxiety in the abyssal areas due to the music. That throbbing sound is really unnerving.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I didn't find subnautica as scary as expected other than my first couple of encounters with reapers - the late game was actually pretty goofy tbh - but I would absolutely never play it in VR Jesus Christ

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The scariest thing in subnautica besides the endless terror of the unseen abyss was as I was casually zooming through the sea in my seamoth with everything all quiet and then KACHUNK a peeper ricochets off my windshield scaring the bejeesus out of me

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Uncle Ulty posted:

I'll nth the vote for Subnautica, but I'll throw in a vote for Red Dead 2. Not many ancient ruins, but tons of exploration, especially if you decide to just gently caress off and try to fill your compendium with all the birds and poo poo.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I think I found my next exploration game in Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Seeking the following:
A game that lets you drive cars in first person without racing, preferably in realistic cities. Preferably one that can run on a computer that is not powerful like a Surface, also, so not recent and cheap.

A friend is seeking a game like The Forest or 7 Days to Die where you can play multiplayer, some guys can form squads and kill things and some guys can stay home and build and garden. Have to be able to make your own server. They didn't like Don't Starve Together.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Seeking the following:
A game that lets you drive cars in first person without racing, preferably in realistic cities. Preferably one that can run on a computer that is not powerful like a Surface, also, so not recent and cheap.

American Truck Simulator?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I want a virtual CAR not a TRUCK. :colbert:
The Crew is a dead game and The Crew 2 is 60$ and too high end, was looking for something like that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe Jalopy?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Is there any prospect of any Truck simulator game coming to PS4? I really like the sound of it, but I want to sit in the comfort of my couch to play it rather than at a desk with my PC. And I don't really have the option to connect my PC to living room TV right now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's uh, not quite the same as Euro/American Truck Sim, but Spintires is on PS4

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hemingway To Go! posted:

A friend is seeking a game like The Forest or 7 Days to Die where you can play multiplayer, some guys can form squads and kill things and some guys can stay home and build and garden. Have to be able to make your own server. They didn't like Don't Starve Together.
Project Zomboid

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Seeking the following:

Shame it has to be workable on older PCs, GTAV in first person is amazing at this. It actually makes me quite anxious/queasy because I hate driving and it feels too real (in an impact/sound/look sense, car handling obviously less so) lol.

Maybe Sleeping Dogs? It has a first person mod and the city is gorgeous to drive around.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Anyone have a good raising sim recently? Something in the vein of Monster Rancher would be nice, where there's a pretty clear goal for you to be working towards. And I specifically don't want to make a team of monsters/champions/whatever, I just wanna focus my efforts on one. Bonus points if like in Monster Rancher, you get multiple generations to play through.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Seeking the following:

Driver sf?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Uncle Ulty posted:

I think I found my next exploration game in Horizon: Zero Dawn.

If you want to explore, collect lore, and follow strange clues/things that look cool, Outer Wilds is absolutely your poo poo. It’s 15 bux right now on the Epic store ($10 off right now from $25) and it’s all about exploring and learning. Good mix of beautiful/cozy/terrifying too. Strongly recommend it.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I want a virtual CAR not a TRUCK. :colbert:
The Crew is a dead game and The Crew 2 is 60$ and too high end, was looking for something like that.

Did you try the latest Forza Horizon?

It's included in the MS game pass thingy for $9 / month or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
What's a good "Zelda-like" for PS4? I just want a simple adventure collecting tools and killing fools.

Also the best Dynasty Warriors type game? "Variety" being the watchword.