Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Brick Shipment posted:

... oh.
I guess my next question is 'why?', but no one has to answer that one.

Gamers are rising up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
then they did some kind of "aww chucks guys we didn't know, we don't like racism or pedos, trust us on that ;)" apologies

all the while the thq qna guy was posting about waifus on 8chan :thunk:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Because Mark was there to protect them from the nasty stuff.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

I mean, I'd argue you'd get a considerable amount of the nazi pedo demographic just doing an AMA on Reddit, but I'm glad they had the good judgement to leave out the normies that frequent the site too by going right to the source.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also keep in mind that if you try to visit 8chan in some browsers like chrome youll get a warning thats basically "hey, do you really want to be on an FBI watch list? Yes/No"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It feels weird posting this due to discussion currently being held but another game revealed

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wario64/status/1136982615112601600

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'll just say none of their games are as good as you remember them being.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

No no, the white ones are safe

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/Team17Ltd/status/1136981131511779328

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

That's one way to fix the camera issues Yooka-Laylee had, I guess

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I'd absolutely be up for another try at the destroy all humans premise but the games themselves were not good

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

bushisms.txt posted:

I'll just say none of their games are as good as you remember them being.

I replayed the PS4 port of the original a few months ago after having not played it since release and really enjoyed it. There are definitely a lot of things they could do to smooth things out though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1stGear posted:

Splinter Cell is weird because the early games are actually pretty cynical. Sam is a world-weary old soldier who's seen and done enough to know that America is pretty loving filthy but its still slightly better than the alternatives. Your main contact, Lambert, is a company man who puts the mission above all other needs. The first and third games deal with how devastating a cyberattack would be on modern society rather than more traditional WMDs. It even (very lightly) criticizes you for killing the main bad guy at the end of the first game and that's why you take the bad guy of the second game alive. Its not like a subversive critique of American foreign policy and the Tom Clancy brand or anything but it has its moments that set it apart from a lot of the oorah semper fi America Uber Alles dreck that infests the rest of the franchise.

This is best displayed near the end of the third game, Chaos Theory. At that point in the game, Sam is sneaking through a North Korean-occupied Seoul (long story don't ask) to recover the flight data from a downed US recon plane. You reach the plane, recover the data, and are given a final mission objective to plant explosives and destroy the plane. But, tucked off in a corner of the alley the plane is in are two unconscious men: the plane's flight crew. Without any prompting, Sam can lift the men and carry them to a safe location, away from the blast radius of the explosion. Lambert actively criticizes you for delaying the mission to rescue American soldiers because that's the kind of person he is and that's the kind of operation Third Echelon is. When you save both men, Lambert sarcastically asks if you want a medal and Sam replies that medals don't help him sleep at night. In any other Tom Clancy game, you would have been given an objective to save those men and your handlers would have praised you while making GBS threads the red, white, and blue. But Splinter Cell's writers and designers actually kind of understood what exactly they were portraying.

The wheels started to come off a bit around Double Agent, although that game still understands what a hosed-up situation this all is and handles the double agent mechanic pretty well IMO. But when Conviction came about with the changes in leadership and direction, the series took a hard turn into the typical Tom Clancy schlock you can get from any modern military game. Which culminates in the scenario you described in Blacklist, where you straight-up kill an Iranian general, find out the shifty Persians are training to attack the White House, and drone strike a highway in the middle of Tehran and no one cares cause you did it for AMERICA.

Late but I just wanted to say Conviction has you infiltrating and loving up Third Echelon and ends on you infiltrating a PMC takeover of the White House and shooting an rear end in a top hat PMC CEO in the loving face (if you so desire.) I always found it the best of the series as it was a lot tighter and the story is a lot more confrontational to the idea of private militaries and the intelligence community being horrible, horrible people. Lambert faked your daughter's death, Grim is playing you, etc. It was bombastic and a hugely different shift from Blacklist. Also Fisher came back for a lovely farewell to Metal Gear Solid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlnh0KLVJJ0

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wowzers Yooka-Laylee must have bombed because this looks like what Id expect a first time kickstarter attempting to rip off donkey kong country to look like not a sequel to a banjo knock-off.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Barudak posted:

Wowzers Yooka-Laylee must have bombed because this looks like what Id expect a first time kickstarter attempting to rip off donkey kong country to look like not a sequel to a banjo knock-off.

I'd rather have this, tbh.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm looking forward to the YL sequel. I hope the original goes on sale for a sane price sometime.

There's probably some people who worked on the original DKC trilogy working on that game. Must be weird to work on a spiritual successor based on your game but modeled after another company's rebooted version.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

poo-ka lay-pee

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I feel like a 2D Yooka-Laylee game could solve the problems the 3D one had. It was just too ambitious for a first title. By scaling it back, they might give us a solid DKC clone.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I like the "master their expansive moveset" part that was just 6 different shots of the ball rolling move

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Suspicious Cook posted:

I feel like a 2D Yooka-Laylee game could solve the problems the 3D one had. It was just too ambitious for a first title. By scaling it back, they might give us a solid DKC clone.

I do hope they take level design lessons from the new games and not the first 3. I love the first three, but the new ones are just on another level (imo)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

I like the "master their expansive moveset" part that was just 6 different shots of the ball rolling move

Yeah but they got rid of the stamina bar, one of the stupidest things in the original

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Barudak posted:

Yeah but they got rid of the stamina bar, one of the stupidest things in the original

Oh god I forgot about this somehow, of all the stupid things they hosed up with the first game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Holy poo poo yes, that's basically a new DKC in my book, i'll take it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
also it has david wise gently caress yes

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
DKC is like loving crack to me

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

DKC is like loving crack to me

are you prepared for the game to be bad

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

an actual dog posted:

are you prepared for the game to be bad

it looks good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The music was nice.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Brick Shipment posted:

... oh.
I guess my next question is 'why?', but no one has to answer that one.

Well I mean their company does have the word "Nordic" right there.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1137027628840304645

geoff continues to invite the Both Sides Man to his e3 coverage

well to be fair it's not "both sides" so much as "anita sarkeesian caused the charlottesville murder"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Boogie "Some Good Came of the Holocaust" 2988

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

boy i can't wait to see how they gently caress up a Donkey Kong Country reimagining. it'll be pretty hard but i'm sure they're up to the task

me? i'm just here for the new Smash Bros DLC character and Link's Awakening

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd rather have Joel McHale poo poo all over E3 than hear the screeching of half those people

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So what are the odds of a new Switch model from Nintendo? I'm foolishly hoping for a "Switch Lite" or "Switch Mini" for ~$250. I've been holding off on buying a Switch because I know Nintendo always releases a better version of their handhelds/portables 1-2 years after the initial release. It's been over 2 years now. Where is it? Or is Nintendo just going to announce and release a "Switch Pro" for ~$400 and call it a day?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They said e3 is only software but i think a cheaper switch around pokemon launch is probably a good bet

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We just need Aisha Taylor.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Detective No. 27 posted:

We just need Aisha Taylor.

Watch the Ubisoft event, then.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

haveblue posted:

Watch the Ubisoft event, then.

But for the entirety of E3.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

star war

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1137027010423693312

Game Informer posted:

Jedi: Fallen Order makes a hell of a first impression in a big, bombastic Star Wars way, but isn’t the game we were expecting it to be. We can’t go into gameplay specifics today, but we can say Respawn’s approach to lightsaber combat isn’t about combos and acrobatics. It focuses instead on… well… you’ll find out tomorrow. Two beloved gaming franchises were repeatedly mentioned during our trip as inspiration points for Jedi: Fallen Order, and together they create the framework of an experience that sings in a unique way.

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1137071727970639872

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I will still refuse to believe that Star Wars game is anything other than hot garbage right up until release, it's EA