Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never bothered with extreme cooling past the Athlon 64/FX era, it just didn't make sense to me anymore. For a while I used a Pentium 3 while dual core processors were just coming out because I just wasn't doing much computer stuff. I was just guessing I'd hit 5.5 GHz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

how did you manage the extra 400 watt draw through the cpu, what was your setup

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The compressor drew 400 watts, you have to run it 24/7 when the computer is running.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

repiv posted:

Well I'm getting 60fps on my 1070 with global illumination set to Low and the resolution set to 720x480 :suicide:

On my 2080 Ti I'm getting 40-45 FPS at 3440x1440. This is the future boys.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

this month im going to spend 4 figs on a video card to play a 22 year old game at 40 fps

E: actually im gonna spend 3 figs im going to try for more shenanigans

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd be pretty ok with some cash grab RTX ports of classic 3d games. Thief, System Shock, Unreal, list goes on and on

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Rtx tie fighter

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
RTX descent

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Enos Cabell posted:

I'd be pretty ok with some cash grab RTX ports of classic 3d games. Thief, System Shock, Unreal, list goes on and on

Yeah I said this before but NVIDIA missed the boat, nobody cares about 60fps RTX in a competitive shooter game, but this taps directly into the nostalgia of those young professionals who grew up with those titles and now have a bunch of discretionary income to blow on stuff that tickles their nostalgia bone. The best thing NVIDIA can do is to pop over to GOG and offer to hack raytracing/pathtracing into as many old titles as possible for free.

I literally spend more money on GOG than on Steam these days and if they supported RTX then why not?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

I literally spend more money on GOG than on Steam these days

This is rational, because games peaked in the early 2000s.

Raytraced Jagged Alliance 2 when?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Raytraced Descent when?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

But it still requires Kali.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Enos Cabell posted:

System Shock, Unreal

Undying

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

taqueso posted:

But it still requires Kali.

I still have my Kali key somewhere, its over 20 years old now...

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Raytraced Descent when?

I didn't know how much I wanted this until right now. gently caress you.

A proper Descent raytracer would also be cool because of the way Descent handles its geometry - it doesn't give a gently caress about Euclidian space, it's just arbitrarily stitched together distorted cubes.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I want an RTX city builder with global illumination.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

K8.0 posted:

I didn't know how much I wanted this until right now. gently caress you.

A proper Descent raytracer would also be cool because of the way Descent handles its geometry - it doesn't give a gently caress about Euclidian space, it's just arbitrarily stitched together distorted cubes.

:hi5: my 6DOF brother or sister or other. I'm sorry we never got that Descent prequel reboot.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 7, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I want RTX Carmageddon with perfect physics and particle effects.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i bet one of those jet moto type games would be p neat with rtx stuff for the water and all that

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
After seeing CoD nightvision rtx gimme Splinter Cell.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
so we're in agreement that actually, the rtx is good, now?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
It has real potential, yeah, but most of that potential is still Coming Soon(tm). But it's a closer Soon, at least.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Nah, still bad. Games haven't hit critical mass for raytracing features yet to make owning one worthwhile, 1440p+ and high refresh is a more compelling argument for high-end Nvidia cards than raytracing still.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

VelociBacon posted:

VelociBacon posted:

Man carmageddon owned so hard

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

SwissArmyDruid posted:

:hi5: my 6DOF brother or sister or other. I'm sorry we never got that Descent prequel reboot.

We kinda did get Descent 4 though. Made by the original Interplay devs, too:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Terminally Bored posted:

We kinda did get Descent 4 though. Made by the original Interplay devs, too:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/

Innnnnnnnnteresting. You know what probably happened was I lost track of the game after I saw the kickstarter and was counting on news picking up on its release to come back to it. I'll grab that during the summer sale, thanks!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Not gonna lie, RTX Morrowind would make me go from zero interest to all the interest real quick

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tech targeting 60 FPS has like zero interest to me with the difference between 120 FPS and 60 FPS being so great. If they're planning on making the 2080 Ti a 60 FPS card once you turn on all the features I'm even more likely to stick with a 1080 for a generation. Beyond the fastest internet in my area being only 6 mbit Google's new thing only targeting 60 FPS made me not care.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Especially with how the human eye is far more sensitive to luminance than chroma, I can't wait for 400 FPS path tracing when I'm 95 years old.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

craig588 posted:

Tech targeting 60 FPS has like zero interest to me with the difference between 120 FPS and 60 FPS being so great. If they're planning on making the 2080 Ti a 60 FPS card once you turn on all the features I'm even more likely to stick with a 1080 for a generation. Beyond the fastest internet in my area being only 6 mbit Google's new thing only targeting 60 FPS made me not care.

isn't googles thing supposed to go (nearly) exclusively into 60 hz refresh devices tho

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Statutory Ape posted:

isn't googles thing supposed to go (nearly) exclusively into 60 hz refresh devices tho

Google's thing is everywhere, including every PC. But I assume people running a monitor capable of more than 60 Hz are the minority and not the target market for a streaming service that's always going to be input lag challenged.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lambert posted:

Google's thing is everywhere, including every PC. But I assume people running a monitor capable of more than 60 Hz are the minority and not the target market for a streaming service that's always going to be input lag challenged.

I'm still trying to figure out who their target market is for that junk. You still have to buy the games, you need a very fast internet connection, and you can only play while connected to that very fast internet which rules out pretty much any public wi-fi. What problem are they solving here?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Playing a Descent game in a measly 60fps is probably going to feel like torture to many people at this point anyway.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 7, 2019

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm still trying to figure out who their target market is for that junk. You still have to buy the games, you need a very fast internet connection, and you can only play while connected to that very fast internet which rules out pretty much any public wi-fi. What problem are they solving here?
It's for people to game at work on their iGPUs while their bosses aren't looking.

Considering a 4.5g/lte+ connection isn't quite fast enough for 1080p streaming (IIRC), the superfast internet connection requirement really is a limit...

eames
May 9, 2009

High refresh rates wouldn’t make as much sense for Stadia anyway. Much of the appeal of 144Hz+ comes from the reduced input latency which wouldn’t be nearly as noticeable when streaming the game because there is so much other latency between the viewer and the engine.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

It's for people to game at work on their iGPUs while their bosses aren't looking.

Considering a 4.5g/lte+ connection isn't quite fast enough for 1080p streaming (IIRC), the superfast internet connection requirement really is a limit...

My 4G+ connection reaches between 158 and 188 Mbps down and 45.6 and 48.1 Mbps up on speed tests during the afternoon and midnight respectively. How is that not fast enough for 1080p streaming?
Sure, you'll need an unlimited data plan, but in places with good LTE infrastructure you should be able to game on the go on that. As long as your battery lasts, at least.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Do any carriers in the US even offer 4g unlimited plans that don't throttle the hell out of you once you cross a relatively low barrier? I'd be through my monthly limit in a few days.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Enos Cabell posted:

Consoles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Geemer posted:

My 4G+ connection reaches between 158 and 188 Mbps down and 45.6 and 48.1 Mbps up on speed tests during the afternoon and midnight respectively. How is that not fast enough for 1080p streaming?
Sure, you'll need an unlimited data plan, but in places with good LTE infrastructure you should be able to game on the go on that. As long as your battery lasts, at least.

Whoops I thought I read before that it was a required 100mbps down for 60fps 1080p but it turns out Google is saying 20. Geforce Now is saying 50.

Are speeds like you get common? That seems incredibly fast to get consistently, your area must have great infrastructure.

I've only spiked over 100mbps for seconds at a time and a consistent dl always slows down to about 30mbps if I'm lucky. Then there's the throttling after data allotment.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 7, 2019