Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I wonder if this is some weirdly convoluted way to not "nerf" gold rounds and run afoul of the dreaded EU laws about that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

serious gaylord posted:

What a loving massively convoluted way to just lower the alpha of the gold rounds.

The way I looked at the page:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

2Jets posted:

Skill just demonstrated team speak or discord lag. His testing method is basically usless. As someone who trouble shoots things the only way to find out what is going on is to ignore what the operator says is wrong and check it out yourself.

It could very well be intentional. Remember the ultimate bet online poker superuser scandal? Online Poker Is Rigged
People will do stupid things to win more.

Right, all he demonstrated was that [10?] different people have 10 different reaction times and 10 different network connections. He didn't even realize what all of us who've done count-ins for sync drops have known: you don't have a platoon leader do the countdown because they're also going to click in first every time, between the latency of voice chat and then the subsequent reaction times and latencies of the other platoon leaders.

I mean it's entirely possible that there is some foul play, but it's just as likely that there's some janky netcode particular to this game implementation that updates your teammates' status more frequently/reliably than that of your enemies'. That would mean the server, which has to synchronize everyone's experience, might struggle to do so at times when high latency becomes an issue, and in every single match all 30 players (unless some are on the same LAN) have a different route to the server.

Notice how they didn't test other combinations of players, or study the quality of each one's Internet connection? It's entirely possible Skil has a reliable connection and some of the others didn't (especially considering how 2 of the volunteers didn't report any latency issues!) It's just that their games against a player they recognize are more memorable than the rest of their matches against randos.

Mesadoram posted:

Now that you mention it I have been ply more hyper aggressive than I normally do. I need to cool my head a little more and realize I am not the Mesadoram that was in OTTER.

I keep telling myself that stats don't matter anymore (don't have to prove my worth to be in a clan anymore) but still, losing is super frustrating when you are so used to winning. I agree with you, I need to stop grinding my face on tanks I am having poo poo luck with and play tanks I enjoy.

I was going to point out that your recent survival rate in particular dropped precipitously, but then again the sample size is negligible. Everything else was also below averages, but I've found that even with an aggressive playstyle, survival tends to correlate with overall success because a tank that lasts longer does more damage, continues to influence battles, and wins more. Check Camador's survival rate if you're not aware of it currently: while even my survival is higher than the shittiest pubbies' winrates, his survival would be like 99th percentile for all players as their winrate. Even then, you can't win them all, so aside from gimmick accounts that are at 80+% wins for low tiers and small numbers of battles, even the best players only win around 70% of their games if not restricted to platooning and only driving the best tanks, so there's a limit to a single player's influence on random battles. Sometimes you will get in even matches that you can tilt in your favor or comfortable wins, but in practice there is a chunk of battles that are going to be losses. Winning 3 and losing 6 matches in an hour only means you played 9 battles before quitting and nothing more: you're not on some horrible loss streak, you haven't forgotten how to play, and you're not doing anything wrong overall (aside from one mistake here or there in a battle); you just clicked "battle" and got in a match at the same time as shitters, and more of them ended up on your team than the enemy's. It's not that stats don't matter, they do provide useful information, just not in the context of a single afternoon.

Mesadoram posted:

The enemy was just awestruck with your wicked sick jumps, they just forgot to keep fighting.

Edit: Ammo change sandbox coming: https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/updates/sandbox-ammo-revision/

Double Edit: Holy poo poo it's actually kinda nuts...

It's pretty interesting. They're still going with the inverse damage/pen change that was planned (and implemented in AW...) but instead of nerfing gold shells they're buffing regular ones. I'm fine with that, it does the same thing. It already exists for (aside from the difference between HE and penetrating shells,) off the top of my head, the SU-100Y and ISU-130, which aren't necessarily common tanks (especially the latter) but have a meaningful gameplay mechanic in the decision to choose the right shell for the target.

I'm also fine with the HP buffs and how the alpha changes will still be an effective buff to armored tanks that are shot at by lower-alpha gold shells. Something like the Maus should have something going for it, in this case survivability, compared to something like the FotM MT (140, 430, etc.) with better maneuverability and camo but worse alpha and HP.

serious gaylord posted:

The new gold shell changes are, well they;re something.

Instead of just reducing the damage of the gold rounds, they're increasing the damage of standard rounds based on their calibre. So the E100 now has a 1000 alpha damage gun, and the JgPzz does like 1400 damage per shot.

They are also massively increasing the health of every tank in the game to 'balance' this. So a Leopard 1 gets 33% more health, but a Maus has armour, so it only gets 15% more health.

What a loving massively convoluted way to just lower the alpha of the gold rounds.

It is, honestly. High alpha has always been a problem and they have no idea what to do about it (note their "fix" to the 183 mm TDs) but at least they're addressing the "gold=better" ammo theme that has existed for several years, back when the shells were literally almost P2W due to only being available for a real-money premium currency (aside from tourneys and CW and such.) It takes WG forever to fix anything, and they can only do one thing at a time. Note that they haven't addressed the cost of shells despite having uncoupled them entirely from gold conversion prices!

Crazyeyes24 posted:

It also negates the HP buff to lower tiers specifically, because now the upper tiers are buffed in both HP and damage too!

Yup, and all the more reason to do same-tier MM. There's really no excuse not to anymore, considering there's like 600 tanks in the game or whatever. Only one thing at a time, though! :downs:

Barry posted:

I wonder if this is some weirdly convoluted way to not "nerf" gold rounds and run afoul of the dreaded EU laws about that poo poo

That might be it, entirely. "You guys aren't getting your 'gold' tanks nerfed, you're getting more HP and alpha damage!"

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
wow what the gently caress. this is going to completely invalidate current wn8 isn't it

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

The new gold shell changes are, well they;re something.

Instead of just reducing the damage of the gold rounds, they're increasing the damage of standard rounds based on their calibre. So the E100 now has a 1000 alpha damage gun, and the JgPzz does like 1400 damage per shot.

They are also massively increasing the health of every tank in the game to 'balance' this. So a Leopard 1 gets 33% more health, but a Maus has armour, so it only gets 15% more health.

ahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh god it makes perfect sense. "our cretin players hate nerfs buff literally everything else instead". god drat. i can't even blame them. it's so stupid it has to work

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
The Gold rebalance is weird. It looks like its mostly an Arty and HE nerf :)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gone Fashing posted:

wow what the gently caress. this is going to completely invalidate current wn8 isn't it

WN8 isn't even actively maintained anymore, so I'm actually going to enjoy waiting to see how much it gets blown up when these implementations go live. :allears:

Prav posted:

ahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh god it makes perfect sense. "our cretin players hate nerfs buff literally everything else instead". god drat. i can't even blame them. it's so stupid it has to work

That's the beauty of it: it doesn't do anything! :haw:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Atomizer posted:

Notice how they didn't test other combinations of players, or study the quality of each one's Internet connection? It's entirely possible Skil has a reliable connection and some of the others didn't (especially considering how 2 of the volunteers didn't report any latency issues!) It's just that their games against a player they recognize are more memorable than the rest of their matches against randos.

I was going to point out that your recent survival rate in particular dropped precipitously, but then again the sample size is negligible. Everything else was also below averages, but I've found that even with an aggressive playstyle, survival tends to correlate with overall success because a tank that lasts longer does more damage, continues to influence battles, and wins more. Check Camador's survival rate if you're not aware of it currently: while even my survival is higher than the shittiest pubbies' winrates, his survival would be like 99th percentile for all players as their winrate. Even then, you can't win them all, so aside from gimmick accounts that are at 80+% wins for low tiers and small numbers of battles, even the best players only win around 70% of their games if not restricted to platooning and only driving the best tanks, so there's a limit to a single player's influence on random battles. Sometimes you will get in even matches that you can tilt in your favor or comfortable wins, but in practice there is a chunk of battles that are going to be losses. Winning 3 and losing 6 matches in an hour only means you played 9 battles before quitting and nothing more: you're not on some horrible loss streak, you haven't forgotten how to play, and you're not doing anything wrong overall (aside from one mistake here or there in a battle); you just clicked "battle" and got in a match at the same time as shitters, and more of them ended up on your team than the enemy's. It's not that stats don't matter, they do provide useful information, just not in the context of a single afternoon.

Thank ya man. Focusing on staying alive helps so much. I forget who told me a long time ago but it went like this: 1 hp>0 hp

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
On a completely unrelated note: I did a job today at Ft. Benning Georgia and took some pictures of some real tanks.

Thought it would be cool to share here. :911:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Nice! I dig the Pattons

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
FYI Skill posted on his YouTube that the culprit is the MoE mod. Lol because (a) they ran a test with mods enabled and (b) whoever coded the mod inadvertently added some network delay for anyone in Skill's game who had the mod installed.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
From Skills YouTube channel:
"[UPDATE: June 4th] Sadly due to a communication error, we made a mistake when we wanted to test this issue without mods, to make sure its not a mod that the people who have the issue has. This didn't happen properly, the cultprit was the MoE Mod which got updated yesterday. If you are using an older version you will have your shot delayed everytime skill4ltu is in the enemy team.
We will release a video with more info tomorrow.

You can download the new version from here: "

This looks a lot like cheating. I think you can put an * next to all of skills records for now.

The HP and Gold changes should be the final blow for WN8. Soon you will be able to hide you're stats. The update tomorrow will add the in game session statistics and improved hall of fame.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Barry posted:

Nice! I dig the Pattons

They have a very kickass museum that is worth it. I'm sure Army goons can talk more about Ft. Benning than I could. I'm just a nerd who also likes tanks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Atomizer posted:

That's the beauty of it: it doesn't do anything! :haw:

Yeah it does. Pubbies love big numbers whenever they land shots. Why do you think high-alpha tanks are so popular?

It's like I've always said - why be good when you can land a thousand damage in one shot. "IM HLEPIGN!" :pseudo:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mesadoram posted:

Thank ya man. Focusing on staying alive helps so much. I forget who told me a long time ago but it went like this: 1 hp>0 hp

That was probably me. In Magic the Gathering, if you deal 19 damage to your opponent who starts at 20 life, and then lose, you accomplished literally nothing. Same in Tanks - if you take off 1799 HP off of the enemy Batchat, and your idiot teammates allow that Batchat to clip out 3 more times because they're too stupid to shoot the 1 HP enemy, and then your team loses because that Batchat wasn't finished off, you accomplished nothing.

Also are they just going to buff AP damage and HP values and leave HE damage alone? Because that'd be good - now we can actually say to carry zero HE because it's not even useful against tanks with no armor. Then again they could buff HE damage too to match the new HP values, which would fundamentally change how the game works since more raw HE damage would override armor more often.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Hellsau posted:

That was probably me. In Magic the Gathering, if you deal 19 damage to your opponent who starts at 20 life, and then lose, you accomplished literally nothing. Same in Tanks - if you take off 1799 HP off of the enemy Batchat, and your idiot teammates allow that Batchat to clip out 3 more times because they're too stupid to shoot the 1 HP enemy, and then your team loses because that Batchat wasn't finished off, you accomplished nothing.

Also are they just going to buff AP damage and HP values and leave HE damage alone? Because that'd be good - now we can actually say to carry zero HE because it's not even useful against tanks with no armor. Then again they could buff HE damage too to match the new HP values, which would fundamentally change how the game works since more raw HE damage would override armor more often.

I used to not aim for low HP targets in my arty because I thought they'd be a waste of a shell, but then I'd get rushed by the guy with the rest of my team thinking the same thing. Now I purposefully aim for them. Gotta get that Top Gun.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

More I think about it, it was probably you lol. It is a great philosophy, simple and easy to understand.

Well, at least I am ending my night on a high note, not a super amazing game but it was a blast to play.

The Fury living up to its name:

Replay: http://wotreplays.eu/site/4913606#arctic_region-mesadoram-m4a3e8_fury
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROOTDWe2DMw

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
They buffed Artys standard HE damage on the sandbox server.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah it does. Pubbies love big numbers whenever they land shots. Why do you think high-alpha tanks are so popular?

It's like I've always said - why be good when you can land a thousand damage in one shot. "IM HLEPIGN!" :pseudo:

I was making a pop culture reference.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

2Jets posted:

i wonder if they actually know how their HE mechanic works

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

i wonder if they actually know how their HE mechanic works

No one does! That's the beauty of it! :haw:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

2Jets posted:

From Skills YouTube channel:

If this is how they concluded this then lol this is the first time I have ever seen an addon actually doing some tomfoolery like this. Good on skill for still owning up to the situation by playing a different account and still apologizing for it. Honestly he would not have known this was happening if it wasn't for people telling him they were lagging when they took a shot. So at least he exposed something that needed to be exposed.

Now I understand why game companies always point to addons first when submitting a ticket.

Hellsau posted:

How many games do you think you're losing that you would have won if you played less aggressive? Let's say you're currently winning 45% and if you played more conservatively you would win 65%, which is extreme but just for the sake of argument. Out of 20 games, you're going to lose 4 fewer games. You're still going to lose 7, and they're going to feel extremely bad because you played slow and put in your best effort and it still wasn't enough to overcome 1v29.

Just play hyper aggressive, shoot tanks, and if you die go into another tank. Who gives a poo poo about losing? You're going to get clobbered some percentage of the time no matter what, so you might as well play however you want, and then learn to win while playing that way, rather than sitting and being cautious and losing a 9 minute game where you deal twice the damage of the rest of your team combined.

Can this please be in the OP? Hellsau has done wonders for this thread and I think this post should be a part of it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Oh right THIS is why I quit this loving game.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

A totally awesome picture

Glad to see my Christmas gift is still giving :allears:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

2Jets posted:

Of course they did, mother fuckers

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I hadn't really touched the Bromwell at all since getting it, I think I only had about 7 or so games in it until last week. But bow howdy, breaking it out for the D-Day challenge gave me an entirely new appreciation for it. What an excellent loving tank.

Casually soloed an O-I

That winrate :stare:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I hadn't really touched the Bromwell at all since getting it, I think I only had about 7 or so games in it until last week. But bow howdy, breaking it out for the D-Day challenge gave me an entirely new appreciation for it. What an excellent loving tank.

Casually soloed an O-I

That winrate :stare:

It really is a fantastic tank, I'd play mine more often if the MM wasn't actively malicious every time I took it out.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Bought another year of premium after taking several months off, was disappointed when I have the same garage.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Bought another year of premium after taking several months off, was disappointed when I have the same garage.

I use the HangMan ("Hangar Manager") mod, specifically the one that puts your selected tank in the last battlefield you played.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Captain Blaargh and I are gonna team up to terrorize NA matchmaking:

That third slot can be YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Skoda T 25, good tank.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
It is me, I am the cancer:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4915955#overlord-juffowup-bat_-ch_tillon_155_58

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

0 damage skorp. loving l u l

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Congrats on the average top tier loss. :shrug:

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

BL-9 and stock ST-I turret as well :v

Most notable thing was full damage HE pen on the back of an AT15 and a 1 v 4 at the end

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

With the recent enshittening of arty I'm starting to think that the Superheavy Spall Liner might be a viable option. I just got two direct hits on a E-100 that obviously had one in the Obj. 261 for 0 and then 9 damage and stunned him for 10 seconds each time.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Skoda T 25, good tank.

Yup, it's definitely one of those "fun haver" tanks if you're in a rut. :shobon:

primelaw posted:

BL-9 and stock ST-I turret as well :v

Most notable thing was full damage HE pen on the back of an AT15 and a 1 v 4 at the end

Took me a while to figure out this was from WoT console!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Atomizer posted:

Yup, it's definitely one of those "fun haver" tanks if you're in a rut. :shobon:

I forgot how much of a blast it is. It just shits out damage on people. It's nimble as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

McGavin posted:

Congrats on the average top tier loss. :shrug: