Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
yeah one of ours does the same. put the bowl down, she goes up to it, walks out, comes back in a couple minutes later and eats a bit.

other one gobbles on hers for a bit then switch over to the other identical bowl while her sister is away. also will walk past and forth in front of the bowl until you pick her up and sit her down basically face down in the bowl upon which she will start eating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I'm trying to get a pee-sample with a kit (plastic beads, pipette, vial), but is there anything I can do to make her go faster? Ideally before the vet's office closes since I know time is of the essence for sample quality.

She went this morning before I swapped the litter and peed outside the box again too, I've been giving her a spoonful of wet food with extra water to fill her bladder up again but idk if that's going to work. :sigh:

edit: Three spoons of wet food soup and some catnip later, just delivered the freshest cat piss to the vet!

edit 2: No signs of an urinary infection, I plugged in some feliway and I guess I'm moving furniture to make room for a second litter-box.

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 4, 2019

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I'm trying to get a pee-sample with a kit (plastic beads, pipette, vial), but is there anything I can do to make her go faster? Ideally before the vet's office closes since I know time is of the essence for sample quality.

She went this morning before I swapped the litter and peed outside the box again too, I've been giving her a spoonful of wet food with extra water to fill her bladder up again but idk if that's going to work. :sigh:

edit: Three spoons of wet food soup and some catnip later, just delivered the freshest cat piss to the vet!

edit 2: No signs of an urinary infection, I plugged in some feliway and I guess I'm moving furniture to make room for a second litter-box.
That's good news on the lack of urinary infection, at least! For the second litter box, you might consider trying a different litter (something that clumps and isn't scented) and an exposed box (not covered). Those can factor into litter box avoidance.

Apologies in advance for the small space challenges. Everyone who says cats are better than dogs for small apartments is lying.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
I have two cats. One is very self reliant for entertainment, the other is constantly bringing me his toy to play. So I grab it and head into the living room so that he can play the way he likes; dragging a beeping cat wand around on the ground and then having it bounce over him so he can run full speed as soon as his line of sight is broken and jumping to attempt a mid air catch.

Recently he just stops if he sees his brother while we're playing. But he doesn't stop meowing at me to play, no matter what he just sits there and watches me until I give up and go back to whatever I was doing. I don't want to lock out his brother while we play, he didn't do anything "wrong". Is this a normal thing?

I love the little guy but it's infuriating to just play with a cat toy all by myself so he can watch.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Just want to vent real quick.
Pequod constantly talks at me before and during mealtimes. I thought this was just what she does because she's excited for food. Nope! Turns out she only does it to me. My husband has told me she doesn't do it when he feeds her.
Why am I the only talking target?

Cat in question:

A. J. Flint
Jun 5, 2019

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Pequod constantly talks at me before and during mealtimes. I thought this was just what she does because she's excited for food. Nope! Turns out she only does it to me. My husband has told me she doesn't do it when he feeds her.

Cat in question:

Probably because she's learned at some point that talking at you = food. Weird conditioning stuff can happen just because you once (or twice) gave her food just at the same time as she was screaming, and it didn't happen with your husband. This happens with pigeons too and it's funny, you see them flapping their wings and thinking they'll get food if they do, because once upon a time a person gave them food just as they flapped their wings a certain way.

You could try conditioning her out of it by only feeding her when she's quiet, but it could be difficult.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Darling Basil eeks at me when I go to the bathroom or if he's locked out my room with me in it. He doesn't yell at anyone else for being behind a door, just generally vocalizes for other vague reasons. He also only chitters at birds OR our other cat. Unclear why he thinks the chittering will make her play with him or come closer, but he gets frustrated when she doesn't.

He was taught by the other cat to eek for meal time, but only does it if she's also yelling.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Speaking of bathrooms my 6 month old Maine coon has decided that the bathroom is for his pissing and making GBS threads too except he’ll drop a human size poo poo log in the sink! He had diarrhea once which wasn’t fun cleaning out of the drain.

We tried using a litter kwitter toilet training thingie but while our old cat was getting used to using it, the young one would jump right off it so he could desecrate the sink again.

So we’ve been keeping him out but yesterday he got in just for a minute and pissed on a plastic bag on the floor.

He uses his litter box just fine but if the bathroom door is open, anything’s possible. Any ideas about how to get him to stop it?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Snowy posted:

Speaking of bathrooms my 6 month old Maine coon has decided that the bathroom is for his pissing and making GBS threads too except he’ll drop a human size poo poo log in the sink! He had diarrhea once which wasn’t fun cleaning out of the drain.

We tried using a litter kwitter toilet training thingie but while our old cat was getting used to using it, the young one would jump right off it so he could desecrate the sink again.

So we’ve been keeping him out but yesterday he got in just for a minute and pissed on a plastic bag on the floor.

He uses his litter box just fine but if the bathroom door is open, anything’s possible. Any ideas about how to get him to stop it?

Sorry if this is a trivial answer, but: keep the bathroom door closed at all times?

We have to do that because Jimmy loves to drink out of the toilet - the always available delicious fresh water obviously isn't good enough for sir.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Slider starts meeping at me for food as soon as I wake up and still hasn't learned that my wife, who gets up about 30 minutes after me, is in charge of morning food time. I wish she'd get conditioned!

Unfortunately these days she only acknowledges my presence if I'm feeding her or if it's playtime. I want my snuggly cat back 😿

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Cat in question:

Maybe she wants tummy scratches!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly meows for pets, and when I get home, and when I open a can of tuna, and when she's killed a toy, and when she's hungry, and when she wants me to lie down so she can seep on me, so basically all the goddamned time and its great.

Butters mrrps and meows when she is dragging a toy around the house, and when she wants pets she squirms on the floor, i meow at her and she squeaks back its the cutest goddamned thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S13RRI_TbXE

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I cleaned Mel's bowl last night before meal time and I don't think she was happy with the residual soap smell, because she seemed hesitant to eat. Hunger won out in the end, but her solution to being able to eat without having to stick her nose into a bowl she didn't like the smell of was, well...

https://i.imgur.com/m48ZbPX.mp4

:3:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Somehow we've managed to acquire six cats over the years. Here are their stories.

Mama is my senior girl that I've had since she was about a year old. She's pretty much the sweetest best cat in the world but she's got some health issues we've been dealing with the past few years - asthma and chronic upper respiratory issues mostly. She's doing pretty good though and we've got her on a good regimen of medicine.

My girlfriend adopted Almond (tabby) and Gail (white) from a shelter before we moved in together. Almond came from a hoarding situation and she had to lose her right eye. When we first got her she would bump into things but she does fine now. She started off extremely skittish and hid all the time but now she loves to snuggle more than anything. Gail came next, she's sweet but also a weirdo and doesn't stick up for herself so she used to get bullied by Almond (not anymore thankfully). She's very vocal and will usually jump up on something and start rolling around for pets when you come near her.

We adopted Cupcake from another shelter after his owner died - he's a big chunky weirdo who looks permanently sad but he loves pets and is very insistent about them. He pretty much stays in one room all the time but for the most part seems pretty content. He had some litter box issues when we first got him but no more, and we've gotten him to play with some toys lately so he can lose some weight.

Finally we have Venus (tortie) and Dottie (tabby) who are mom and daughter. They both came from the feral colony in our neighborhood. We've been working with the local SPCA to TNR the feral cats since we moved in, and we rescued 12 kittens last year. Dottie was one of those kittens and we got really attached to her so we ended up adopting her. She had a really bad eye infection and the vet thought she might lose her right eye, but it wasn't necessary - she does have scarring on her eye and probably doesn't have much vision in it, but she does fine. She just turned a year old and is still a very petite cat, she kind of still looks like a kitten. She's a loving weirdo but is super cute and fun and friendly and loooooves all the other cats. Venus was her mom who we trapped, had spayed and then decided to try keeping when she was recovering. Considering she was a feral, she's amazingly friendly and sweet and gets along so well with the other cats. It's remarkable how well she does as a housecat.

Everybody is an indoor cat and on top of that we have a dog and a ferret lol. Our house is a loving zoo and it's chaotic sometimes but everyone gets along and all these stupid dummies bring us a lot of joy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bobstar posted:

Sorry if this is a trivial answer, but: keep the bathroom door closed at all times?

Late reply, but yeah that's what we're doing now. What I would love is to find a way to not end up with a poo poo pile in the sink any time someone doesn't happen to pull the door all the way shut or just forgets while in a rush.

That doesn't happen much but the consequences are nasty. I have no idea how this kitten understands that the litterbox is the right place to go, but if the bathroom is available then the sink or tub are preferable dumping grounds. :barf:

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Snowy posted:

Late reply, but yeah that's what we're doing now. What I would love is to find a way to not end up with a poo poo pile in the sink any time someone doesn't happen to pull the door all the way shut or just forgets while in a rush.

That doesn't happen much but the consequences are nasty. I have no idea how this kitten understands that the litterbox is the right place to go, but if the bathroom is available then the sink or tub are preferable dumping grounds. :barf:
I hate to ask this but what do you do to clean it up afterward? It's going to have coated the pipes, so ideally you should thoroughly clean out the pipes themselves, at least down to the traps. :gonk:

It's really awful that he's so young and doing that. I once heard that cats form their preferred litter habits within the first few weeks of life, so if that's true, apparently he learned that making GBS threads on a solid surface was awesome. Have you tried putting a litter box in the bathroom, with just a thin layer of litter so he doesn't sink in? Can you think of any reason why he might not prefer the box (e.g., it has a lid, the litter's too deep, not cleaned often enough, resource contention with other cats, different litter type than he grew up on)?

You might consider attaching contact paper to the countertop and the rim of the tub, to discourage him from jumping up there at all. It'd be inconvenient for you though since you'd have to leave it there for a few weeks and change it out as needed. Or you could habitually plug the drains and leave a thin layer of standing water (which would make you have to clean the sink/bathtub more often to prevent mildew), which might discourage him. Or use a motion-activated deterrent to scare him away (at the risk of teaching him the wrong thing). Or just put something over the sink/tub when you're not using them.

Any deterrent you try might have to be coupled with making a more attractive litterbox option somewhere else, otherwise he might just pick another inappropriate spot in your house as his new favorite.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

A. J. Flint posted:

Probably because she's learned at some point that talking at you = food. Weird conditioning stuff can happen just because you once (or twice) gave her food just at the same time as she was screaming, and it didn't happen with your husband. This happens with pigeons too and it's funny, you see them flapping their wings and thinking they'll get food if they do, because once upon a time a person gave them food just as they flapped their wings a certain way.

You could try conditioning her out of it by only feeding her when she's quiet, but it could be difficult.

Oh, I don't actually want to get rid of the talking, it just confused me why she only does it for me.

owls or something posted:

Maybe she wants tummy scratches!

That's a 50/50 shot of appreciative noises and stretches or getting your hand grabbed with claws extended.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Snowy posted:

Have you tried filling the sink when you're not using it. :getin:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

How about putting tiles in the litter box? Like a couple and, I don’t know put them in the dishwasher occasionally. :v: I don’t know if this would work or is feasible but it seems like it could be a way to ease the cat back into the box, sort of the reverse of when people try to get their cats to use the toilet. However since they use the sink only when it’s available and actually know to use boxes... I dunno. Worth a shot maybe?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh yeah. litter tray in the tub? Then slowly move it back outside?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Galaxy brain: Mount an extra sink to the wall

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

New cat toy technology unlocked: an almond that fell on the floor.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Why is my cat trying to eat dental floss out of the bathroom trash

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

zakharov posted:

Why is my cat trying to eat dental floss out of the bathroom trash

Looks like worm

Also if it's mint floss a lot of cats seem to love mint since it's in the same family as catnip.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

LoreOfSerpents posted:

I hate to ask this but what do you do to clean it up afterward? It's going to have coated the pipes, so ideally you should thoroughly clean out the pipes themselves, at least down to the traps. :gonk:

Yeah it takes some good cleaning for sure. I’m trying to find the stinkiest cleaner I can because I’ve read that it could help dissuade him.

quote:

It's really awful that he's so young and doing that. I once heard that cats form their preferred litter habits within the first few weeks of life, so if that's true, apparently he learned that making GBS threads on a solid surface was awesome. Have you tried putting a litter box in the bathroom, with just a thin layer of litter so he doesn't sink in?

He started doing it at around 4 months so hopefully he’s not too programmed for it. Since he was enjoying the bathroom we thought maybe he could be toilet trained but with the litter kwitter thing set up on the toilet he just jumped right past that to get to the sink.

quote:

You might consider attaching contact paper to the countertop and the rim of the tub, to discourage him from jumping up there at all. It'd be inconvenient for you though since you'd have to leave it there for a few weeks and change it out as needed. Or you could habitually plug the drains and leave a thin layer of standing water (which would make you have to clean the sink/bathtub more often to prevent mildew), which might discourage him. Or use a motion-activated deterrent to scare him away (at the risk of teaching him the wrong thing). Or just put something over the sink/tub when you're not using them.

I’m going to try some of these approaches, thanks!

quote:

Any deterrent you try might have to be coupled with making a more attractive litterbox option somewhere else, otherwise he might just pick another inappropriate spot in your house as his new favorite.

We keep his litter box clean and he uses it all the time just fine.... unless that wonderful sink toilet is available :( don’t know what else we could do to make the box more desirable.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Salvage an old sink, put litter in it. Tada, new box

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

effika posted:

Looks like worm

Also if it's mint floss a lot of cats seem to love mint since it's in the same family as catnip.

That would explain why rear end in a top hat likes to try and get ahold of gum.

Currently keeping an eye on him because the other night he knocked my fiancees purse off the table and hunted a pack. I woke up to wrappers torn apart across the floor. I don't think he actually ate any gum though

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, Sweetheart has a chew stick that's infused with mint and she won't leave the thing alone when she gets to play with it. We keep it in the cupboard that's inaccessible to her (that we know of) with her treats and stuff when she's not playing with it for that reason.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We had a cat who would pee down the shower drain which wasn't that bad it saved having to scoop the box so much.
Occasionally he would dook in the shower but even that wasn't so bad.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Snowy posted:

We keep his litter box clean and he uses it all the time just fine.... unless that wonderful sink toilet is available :( don’t know what else we could do to make the box more desirable.
Since he uses the current box, I wouldn't change anything about that one unless you get desperate (since you'd risk making him stop using it), but here are some aspects that can affect box usage:
  • Number of boxes - Adding another litter box is always a good first step (however inconvenient). At a minimum, you usually need one litter box per cat, plus one extra litter box. However, some households need more boxes, since a lot of cats prefer to poop separately from where they pee. We have three cats, and litter problems didn't stop until we reached five litter boxes. It sucks as much as you would expect, but it's better than cleaning up accidents.
  • Cleanliness of boxes - boxes should be scooped at least daily (more often for very fastidious cats), and completely emptied/washed/refilled on whatever schedule your cat demands (try monthly, increase frequency if that's not good enough)
  • Litter depth - Especially relevant for large-bodied cats
  • Box wall height - Some cats like higher walls, some cats like shorter walls
  • Litter type - Clumping/non-clumping, unscented, amount of dust, etc. It's easier to try out different litter types in a new box
  • Privacy - Covered or uncovered box? How isolated is the box? Some cats like having a litter box in an infrequently-accessed part of the house, but some cats hate it.
  • Access path - Anything unpleasant that he has to walk across in order to get into the box, like a mat designed to collect litter?
  • Noise - Placing a box near something loud can be a disaster. Doubly so if it's something HVAC related that might have kicked on while he was pooping at one point.
  • Other cats - No cat should ever have to wait to use the litter box (what a great campaign slogan)
  • Vantage point - Most cats try to avoid ambush situations, especially when pooping. Usually you want litter boxes not to be placed in bottleneck spots. Maybe even try an elevated box, in case he likes having to jump up for some reason.
  • Pheromones - Mixed reports exist on whether pheromone diffusers work, but considering how awful your situation is, I'd consider it anyway. Although be aware that in some studies, cats actually peed on the diffusers...
Basically I'm saying you might have to analyze and experiment with every detail of your litter box situation to come up with a way to make him happy. Because cats.

Incidentally, you can manipulate some of those same points to try to make the bathroom less attractive, and that's what my suggestions were based on. Access path = contact paper, litter type = leaving some water in the basins, noise = motion detection deterrent, etc.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My cat has spent a big chunk of the last 24 hours laying on the bathmat in our hall bathroom, which is kind of a secluded place for a cat to be laying. He’s still eating and drinking, and as far as we know he’s still peeing and pooping like normal, and my dad told me he sat in his lap this morning... but it’s a bit unusual for him to spend so much time back there. He does like to lay on that mat from time to time, but not normally this much.

Again, he’s only been acting like this for about a day, but should I be worried? Do cats sometimes just do this for no real reason, or is it always a sign of vet-worthy distress?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I. M. Gei posted:

My cat has spent a big chunk of the last 24 hours laying on the bathmat in our hall bathroom, which is kind of a secluded place for a cat to be laying. He’s still eating and drinking, and as far as we know he’s still peeing and pooping like normal, and my dad told me he sat in his lap this morning... but it’s a bit unusual for him to spend so much time back there. He does like to lay on that mat from time to time, but not normally this much.

Again, he’s only been acting like this for about a day, but should I be worried? Do cats sometimes just do this for no real reason, or is it always a sign of vet-worthy distress?

Has it gotten hot? Domino will lay in the bathroom because it's cooler than the rest of the apartment for some reason

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Len posted:

Has it gotten hot? Domino will lay in the bathroom because it's cooler than the rest of the apartment for some reason

It’s June in Texas, so yeah it’s kinda hot. I don’t think it’s any hotter inside our house than normal though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I. M. Gei posted:

It’s June in Texas, so yeah it’s kinda hot. I don’t think it’s any hotter inside our house than normal though.

You said it's your bathroom, though, so I imagine the floor is ceramic or tile. That stays cooler than most surfaces in hot weather, so cats go there.

Cats are not very good at regulating their body temperature, so they like to seek out cool spots to nap when they're feeling too warm and warm spots when they're feeling cold.

This is the real reason cats are so fond of sinks and bathtubs in my experience, it's a cool place for them to lie down.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cythereal posted:

You said it's your bathroom, though, so I imagine the floor is ceramic or tile. That stays cooler than most surfaces in hot weather, so cats go there.

Cats are not very good at regulating their body temperature, so they like to seek out cool spots to nap when they're feeling too warm and warm spots when they're feeling cold.

This is the real reason cats are so fond of sinks and bathtubs in my experience, it's a cool place for them to lie down.

The floor is tile, yeah, but he’s laying on the mat, which is not tile. Plus the floors in our den, hallway, and kitchen are also tile, and he isn’t laying on any of those.

He also seems to be coughing a bit, although he does that from time to time, which...... yeah.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
When it's sunny our cat peach will sunbath all day long. Then get really mad that it's 80 indoors and she's hot???????? Scream if we try to brush her so she less hot and get very sassy about being presented with water or ice or a water fountain or being moved out of sunlight or provided shade or anything cool. She will gladly take your warm seat on the couch though.

Cats suck. I'm buying an AC this week because I thought it was just peach being dumb but it got to 80 briefly and Basil kept chasing peach around and then panting desperately because he's a black cat alternating between sunbathing and running the stairs. And he drank from the fountain with cold water!!! Ugh, cats suck!!!

Peach says goodnight.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I. M. Gei posted:

I think is just cat. I found my Binx sleeping next to the litter box the other day, which was weird, but he's been acting fairly normal since - also has a good appetite, peeing and pooping normally, et cetera. He actually crawled onto my lap and we had a great heavy petting session.

It's getting very warm in this house though and we don't have any AC aside from a single swamp cooler, so I'm guessing it's just a combination of cats being weird and heat.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Cats are originally desert animals, it's why they like sunbathing so much.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hey,

So I read up on cats urinating elsewhere, and thankfully we know why she did it. My partner closed the door that gives access to the litter box while we went overnight to her parents. Cue today, when we get back, and it seems the cat has both defecated and peed on the bed, right where my partner sleeps.

Ok so we took off the sheets and we've put them to wash, and whatever, if those are gone they're gone. No one wants to lose the mattress and we're taking appropriate steps to clean it and remove the odor. We'll see if it works.

My question, and what worries me, is will the cat do it again? She's in fine health, and we know that she did it because her regular spot had been stupidly cut-off (why she couldn't just choose a spot on the floor or in an indoor plant eludes me), but now that she did it once, is there risk of it happening again even though she has access to her box again?

EDIT:
Well, she has used her box since. We've added enzymatic spray and stuff to the mattress and we're letting it dry out. She's gone back to sniff at the area a couple of times now. Not sure what that means. We'll see.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
There is a cat who I'm looking at adopting, who is a 2 year old male who is unneutered. This adoption would be rehoming him, because the original owners are not able to keep him anymore. Obviously being rehomed is going to be a big source of stress for him, and I want to make it minimally traumatic for him. Compounding this is that I'm likely to move myself in a couple of months, so he'd have to get adjusted to new living spaces twice in a relatively short timespan. Originally I was planning to wait until after moving to adopt a cat, until I found out about this guy needing a new home. Due to circumstances, the original owners have to find a new home ASAP -- If I (or someone else) doesn't adopt him, he'd have to go to a rescue shelter.

How soon after moving is it appropriate to have him neutered? And how much does neutering cost? They say he's up to date on his shots, but neutering is definitely necessary as he's going to be living with another cat someday. He'd be my only cat, but the person who I'm looking at moving in with in a few months has a cat of her own.

With his original owners he was both an indoor and an outdoor cat, with a cat door to be able to go in and out as he pleased. If I adopt him, he would have to be an indoor-only cat. Is this likely to cause problems for him?

Is there anything else I need to know as a first-time adopter beyond what's in the OP? I haven't fully committed to adopting this cat yet, because I need to do the research to know if I'm able. I know that it's a big responsibility, but I'm willing to listen to the cat and understand his needs. I want this little guy to have a good loving home, and he's even a black cat like I was already considering before learning about him. :h: