Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

R. Guyovich posted:

asexuals are definitely a thing but i haven't yet seen a convincing argument they're a separate identity on par with lgbt. you just don't see the kind of structural oppressions that define those other categories, or at least i'm not aware of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Colonel Cancer posted:

How can you say asexuals don't exist when your parents exist? Can you imagine your ma and dad ever having or wanting to have sex!?!

I can imagine your ma and dad having sex all the time (with me)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
well you see people sometimes make jokes about sex and that's very hurtful to people who's sexual identity is defined by not having any of it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

does being lgbt or on par with them require facing a lot of structural oppression and discrimination? that's a serious question, i wouldn't say it does. i feel like i hear similar things about bi people a lot too. anyway, one thing asexuals do have in common with them is lots of people just thinking they're mentally ill and need treatment for their "disease".

i think a legit argument can be made that a lot of incels are really just asexuals who have gone insane from constantly being shat on because they dont get sex like they dont want sex because they think its something theyd enjoy doing they just want people to stop making GBS threads on them

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
there's no 'a' in lgbt!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Peanut President posted:

there's no 'a' in lgbt!

There is an 'a' in QUILTBAG, though.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Paladinus posted:

There is an 'a' in QUILTBAG, though.

which means....you should be free to do whatever you want?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Peanut President posted:

which means....you should be free to do whatever you want?

Not, it's a bag made of quilt.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

i think a legit argument can be made that a lot of incels are really just asexuals who have gone insane from constantly being shat on because they dont get sex like they dont want sex because they think its something theyd enjoy doing they just want people to stop making GBS threads on them

I think there are a few incels that are confused about their sexual identity (see: gb-sized photo galleries of handsome men in various states of undress saved to their hard drive for the purposes of "studying the features of a Chad") but it's first and foremost about hating women

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the most hilarious thing about the incel movement was that it was created by a radical lesbian

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most asexuals would be the first to agree that they don't have it anywhere near as bad as the rest of the LGBT+ spectrum for the most part but there's genuine issues with living in a world where people expect you to want to gently caress and they seem to be genuinely sympathetic with said spectrum, so they've earned it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mostly just don't think it is *that* useful a discussion to pursue, e.g. it may be that racism is worse if you are black than if you are latino, but even if that gets established in some objective way does it inform anything? it is easy to get defensive to avoid the shithead "reverse sexism against cis heterosexuals!!1" takes, but i think that can be handled without being too precise about the in- or out-group.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

being pressured into sex is bad and if just not liking sex in general is part of your identity you will face a lot of undue stress from society for sure

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Chillgamesh posted:

being pressured into sex is bad and if just not liking sex in general is part of your identity you will face a lot of undue stress from society for sure

Yeah Id say modern celibates are more alienated from society than actively discriminated against. Sex is a consumer commodity that media sells, if you don’t have sex you’re directly and indirectly told that you’re a failure and fair target for dumb laughs.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

does being lgbt or on par with them require facing a lot of structural oppression and discrimination? that's a serious question, i wouldn't say it does. i feel like i hear similar things about bi people a lot too. anyway, one thing asexuals do have in common with them is lots of people just thinking they're mentally ill and need treatment for their "disease".

the need for lgbt status to be a protected class on par with racial minorities is based on an extensive, systemic history of discrimination and violence so i'd say it's a factor, yeah. there's nothing stopping a person from identifying as asexual but there are specific sociopolitical connotations to putting them in that protected class. i'm genuinely asking because my only exposure to these ideas has been online, probably due in no small part to the alienation and societal pressures already discussed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lgbt status isn't a protected identity, gender and sexual orientation are, talking about them as a subset of a larger group of people who exist outside the cis het norms does not require arguing for egal protections or that their plight be as oppressed as anyone else's

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Like conflating lgbt as an acronym or a group with "protected class" as a defualt seems kinda silly because there are other issues that LGBT folk have to deal with that aren't covered by legal protections at all and really can't be

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

this is identity politics, to me

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Business Gorillas posted:

can someone explain to me why asexual is a thing?

gently caress you get banned you piece of poo poo chud

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

R. Guyovich posted:

asexuals are definitely a thing but i haven't yet seen a convincing argument they're a separate identity on par with lgbt. you just don't see the kind of structural oppressions that define those other categories, or at least i'm not aware of them.

Oh well if you're not aware of them then, it must be fine. gently caress you.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Crazy, insane, idea over here - maybe you aren't exposed to minority viewpoints **because** of systemic oppression preventing people from feeling safe to openly discuss them, you deplorable neoliberal piece of poo poo cuck

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

gently caress YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
gas this thread full of r bomb neoliberal chud bigots thanks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

crazy cloud posted:

gas this thread full of r bomb neoliberal chud bigots thanks

Ban business gorillas at least

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

we get it you don’t gently caress

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

uncurable mlady posted:

we get it you don’t gently caress

That's not what you'll hear if you ask your mother. I'm just not a loving idiot bigot so I can understand perspectives other than exactly my own. Condolences on your piece of shif chud brain

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

crazy cloud posted:

That's not what you'll hear if you ask your mother. I'm just not a loving idiot bigot so I can understand perspectives other than exactly my own. Condolences on your piece of shif chud brain

my mother has dementia and can't consent so thanks for outing yourself as a rapist

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

uncurable mlady posted:

my mother has dementia and can't consent so thanks for outing yourself as a rapist

She's just faking the dementia to get out of interacting with her r bomb offspring hth

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

jesus, not even dickeye consecutive posts as much as you. calm the gently caress down, idiot

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

cspam when we don't talk about loving: holding hands in a chaste and friendly way, wearing sackcloth
cspam when we do talk about loving: incivility, riots, pipebombs, tits everywhere

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
go work for raytheon you loving cop

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i found the woke brand, it's u

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

get that OUT of my face posted:

jesus, not even dickeye consecutive posts as much as you. calm the gently caress down, idiot

I'm also being at least somewhat polite today which feels weird

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

justice for dickeye

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

strange times indeed

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

the most hilarious thing about the incel movement was that it was created by a radical lesbian
"See a woman is to blame!" - an angry incel

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

anyway, one thing asexuals do have in common with them is lots of people just thinking they're mentally ill and need treatment for their "disease".

tbf anhedonia is also a thing and if you're at the doctor and mention a complete lack of sexual attraction that or something similar's gonna come up

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is pretty easy to make a case that it is a lot easier to just be a closeted asexual, as you're not missing out on as much *beyond* how being closeted is loving awful. the issue with the tack the thread first took is really that the comparing-past-hardships approach is very hard to immediately separate from how the standard terf take works, on that side of things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think you're underestimating just how hard society works to gently caress over anyone who doesn't fit into the accepted mold.

Was a thread recently, maybe r/relationships where it came out how kids who are seen as cute find themselves being nagged from age 6 onwards about whether they have boyfriends/girlfriends and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for sure, minimized more than i should have there. was trying to just give the contrarian take a fair shake but actually overstepped quite badly thinking about it even slightly